web analytics

If This Latest News On Takeover Is True – Things Are Getting Out Of Hand For Rafa

We thought it would be reasonably plain sailing when it was announced yesterday that Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed al-Nahyan had agreed to buy the club from Mike Ashley.

Before any bid is lodged a deep dive is done on the financial books, and that’s one of the things that takes time with a takeover.

You need to do this to know what you are buying for what is big money.

But if the Sun report was accurate yesterday that must already have been done since the signed contracts from both sides have already been sent to the Premier League.

Now there is news in the Chronicle that suggests the takeover will not be completed until July – and after the current contract Rafa has at Newcastle runs out.

If this news is accurate today – it makes it even more difficult for Rafa Benitez
Good job Rafa has nerves of steel and a robust character

Why is it always the case – if this is true – that an Ashley run Newcastle is always in such a mess?

The Chronicle has posted this from journalist Ben Jacobs, an ESPN journalist based in Dubai.

“Bin Zayed Group sources say they don’t expect a takeover to be complete before Benitez’s contract expires on June 30.”

“Will be on Mike Ashley (and the impending lure of a possible new owner. If that happens) to persuade him to stay.”

“Notion Sheikh Nehayan wants Benitez to stay as a priority is also solely based on a respect for him from his Liverpool and Real Madrid days and a meeting just before he joined Chelsea.”

“But Wenger, with links to the UAE, and Mourinho are also out of work.”

“Point is Bin Zayed Group are making it clear their priority is to acquire the club not decide on a manager.”

“They see no reason to replace Benitez, but also accept he may go before they arrive.”

And this is a piece from Chris Waugh from the Chronicle about where Rafa stands:

“Despite the confusion which has reigned on Tyneside so far this week, Benitez has been told that it is “business as usual” as far as the United hierarchy is concerned.”

“And that, at least in the immediate term, Ashley is going to remain owner, so it is the retailer with who the Spaniard must continue his complex contract-extension negotiations.”

Newcastle will have to move in the transfer market well before the takeover – if indeed it’s supposed to be July when the acquisition will happen.

So we have the strange case that Rafa can bring in players through the end of June – guided by owner Mike Ashley.

And then if his contract is not renewed before June 30th, who takes the training when the players come back for preseason training on July 4th?

And who takes the first team squad to China for the Premier League Asia Trophy?

But remember, Ashley did a similar thing back in 2009 after we were relegated.

He wouldn’t appoint Alan Shearer as manager and then in late June, days before the players were to report back to training, he named the only two coaches we had – Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood to take over the management of the team.

The rest is history – because they and our players did an outstanding job for the club – and we will never forget that.

But that was still crazy and irresponsible management from the owner – and it looked at the time like he didn’t care one iota.

It seems inconceivable that Rafa will not be involved continuously until and after the club is acquired by Sheikh Khaled this summer.

If this state of affairs the Chronicle is reporting today is true, then it’s a real mess.

And Ashley’s hand is on this – he’s disorganized at best.

But we’ll leave it there.

We find it very hard to believe this is the actual state of affairs at Newcastle right now.

What do you think?

• Yorkgeordie

May 28, 2019 at 3:17 PM

Sorry just seen it @ 30

• Mag52

May 28, 2019 at 3:17 PM

AO.

• Wayayman

May 28, 2019 at 3:17 PM

Repost from earlier:

The statement is real, the agreement is genuine and the transaction is ‘in progress’.

Everything else has come about because journos who didnt know anything this time yesterday, are desperately trying to make sense of a culture they know little about. They even got the wrong person yesterday. Now that set in motion a load of doubts about the authenticity of the real bidder.

The fact remains that the Bin Zayed Group have themselves confirmed this is genuine. Dont let the lack of clarity over how much this Sheikh is worth get in the way of this. The company is huge over there and there as you might suspect will be zero transparency regarding the net worth of any member of the royal family, however distant.

If anyone screws this up, it’ll be Ashley.

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2019 at 3:18 PM

Aye,
    Who the foot is Ben Jacob’s?

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 3:20 PM

Mac the Jaffrey: Andy Gray and Richard Keys work for Bein Sports in the mid-east. Do you believe a word they say or do they have an agenda against NUFC? Who is this Ben Jacobs?

• RobLeenio

May 28, 2019 at 3:20 PM

BANDWBURNABY do you not think it’s even slightly possible that when Rafa rocked up at the Connaught or the Dorchester or wherever it was, he was there to meet the potential new owners rather than fat Ash?

I thought that hotel was a bit flash for Ashley, given that he took the squad out for a slap-up happy hour pizza and promised them a weekend at Butlins Skegness if they kept the club in the Prem this last season.

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 3:20 PM

JFA you beat me to it.

• Optimistic Panda

May 28, 2019 at 3:23 PM

Bobby

I don’t believe anything other than the official statement

Terms agreed, Bin Zayed group.

Accurate is all the clubs had to offer.

It feels like someone out of eithers control has let slip, neither wants to say much or anger the other.

Maybe one of the Sheikh relatives has let it slip maybe its leaked from the Prem test who knows but Ashley cant possibly think another fake sale is going to do him the club or SD any good?

People weren’t happy already, if Rafa goes and no sale I wouldn’t want to be Ashley.

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2019 at 3:24 PM

If we weren’t agonising over this today we’d be kicking off over the length of time these contract talks were dragging on. Why can’t we just be a normal club with normal news.

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 3:25 PM

I mean, just because you are based in the middle east (Ben Jacobs) doesn’t mean that you have credibility to talk about a NUFC takeover. Richard Keys will probably say that Rafa should help fund it because he has the money and Ashley gave it to him so he owes the Fatman.

• Optimistic Panda

May 28, 2019 at 3:27 PM

Rob@46

Interesting and cunning

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2019 at 3:27 PM

OP,
    Why not, if the chanting at games gets too much then he just doesn’t show up, he seems to have the press on his side and carries on with seemingly impunity.

• Toonbean

May 28, 2019 at 3:27 PM

Works at Talksport, a company which emplys Richard Keys and covered Eurovision… pinch of salt

• ShaytoStay

May 28, 2019 at 3:28 PM

Swlabr .. I’m neither, my username seems to have logged in in as looneytoon or shaytostay. From the their logon I can select friendly name, 1 of 2. I’m suspicious of anyone with more than one account.

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2019 at 3:28 PM

How does Ben who Jacobs know that a takeover is going to take a month.

• Optimistic Panda

May 28, 2019 at 3:28 PM

Jail

You can only kick a dog for so long

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 3:29 PM

I know it is from 20 years ago but I have visions of the scousers from Harry Enfield invading Madrid with their trackies and perms.

• bettyswallocks

May 28, 2019 at 3:30 PM

If this was all bollox then one or both parties would have stepped in to knock it on the head and save further embarassment . Conspiracy theories abound as is normal when our lying scumbag owner is involved but The Sun clearly stated that the F A were considering The Sheikh as a potential owner and surely he wouldn’t allow this statement to remain out there if not true.

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2019 at 3:31 PM

OP,
    I think the dog has been well and truly broken and has had it’s teeth removed.

• ShaytoStay

May 28, 2019 at 3:35 PM

The sooner we find out the facts the better for everyone, at the moment I still think it’s not Happening. Hopefully I’m wrong but alarm bells are well and truly ringing on this one.

• Optimistic Panda

May 28, 2019 at 3:38 PM

Shayne to stay

If you check mine it says optimistic prime.

I changed to panda for wor Amanda but she never came.

I’ll be optimistic something else if the deal goes through, I’ll have a think

• Looneytoon

May 28, 2019 at 3:39 PM

well said looneytoon, you are the only blogger I can listen to on here

• Swlabr

May 28, 2019 at 3:39 PM

Shaytostay sorry mate, just pulling your leg. From what you’ve said something is definitely oot o’ kilter.

• Looneytoon

May 28, 2019 at 3:40 PM

definitely something up with the usernames on here.

• Swlabr

May 28, 2019 at 3:41 PM

Looneyshaytoonstay, I’d have to have a lie down if that was happening to me!

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 3:41 PM

Are there any quotes from Rafa?

And that Welsh squad must be fantastic if they can leave out Dummett.

• oldarse

May 28, 2019 at 3:41 PM

Swlabr
    What What?

• Bobbybee

May 28, 2019 at 3:42 PM

Well, as usual it’s a wait n see scenario. We won’t know nowt solid until it happens. If it happens. How this is anything but a drawback to Rafa trying to sign players I don’t know. 2

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 3:43 PM

Better get this blog back to normal service:

“Hiya KBA”

• Optimistic Panda

May 28, 2019 at 3:45 PM

Jail

I haven’t and quite a few I know would turn on him if this was another fib.

I know I dont know if this one is real but this one looks real feels real and I think it is real.

Time will tell, I’m not dancing or pissed yet I’m not going to change how I feel about Ashley if it’s a con. I’d be annoyed at falling for it, I already think hes a scumbag but tugboat 66 has been called in, his time on our little pond is over.

If it is a con it’s a masterpiece.

• Swlabr

May 28, 2019 at 3:45 PM

oldarse, your comment at 203 (previous post) looked to be referring to mine at 202. Was I wrong?

• Shadow_Shearer

May 28, 2019 at 3:45 PM

This is starting to look like another publicity stunt to me.

Why would announce this and say it’s not done yet. If they wanna buy the club, they should buy it, get it over the line and then confirm the take over. I smell a rat, and not for the first time.

• ShaytoStay

May 28, 2019 at 3:45 PM

Swlabr.. I should just make up random
    lies now.

Ashley is a nice man and isn’t a fat useless ….

• Nostradamus the Geordie

May 28, 2019 at 3:47 PM

As a fan I don’t really care if MA still owns Newcastle United, I just don’t want to be strung along for the next two / three weeks with a bullshit story.

Of course as most know I want Ashley out of our club but we cannot afford to sit here for weeks on end waiting.

We need to be signing Rafa immediately, we need to be acquiring players and getting the club ready for the season ahead.

I hope this is true the takeover, but the club cannot suddenly stop working due to possibilities.

• ShaytoStay

May 28, 2019 at 3:48 PM

I don’t know what to do with this new found anonymity .. the world is my oyster. right I’m
    off
    🙂

• oldarse

May 28, 2019 at 3:48 PM

Like GS sensibly says

Better get this blog back to normal service:

• Shadow_Shearer

May 28, 2019 at 3:48 PM

Sounds to me like this Khalid bin whatever his name, is in on the act with the fatman

• Munster Mag

May 28, 2019 at 3:50 PM

I’m sticking with his royal highness and just think we all need very hard levels of patience. There may be another buyer but my concern wud be fat man trying to be clever and the sheikh walking away with a less exciting group in the wings. Overall though, get rafa signed up fatty and hope the big picture gets sorted soon.

• oldarse

May 28, 2019 at 3:51 PM

Swlabr
    No mate, not your post all posts going in different directions no one can keep up, does your head in mate.

• lesh

May 28, 2019 at 3:52 PM

Yorkgeordie

I was just thinking and drawing comparisons with this statement from Dubai and the most unlikely Peter Kenyon grovelling letter to Ashley.