web analytics

If This Latest News On Takeover Is True – Things Are Getting Out Of Hand For Rafa

We thought it would be reasonably plain sailing when it was announced yesterday that Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed al-Nahyan had agreed to buy the club from Mike Ashley.

Before any bid is lodged a deep dive is done on the financial books, and that’s one of the things that takes time with a takeover.

You need to do this to know what you are buying for what is big money.

But if the Sun report was accurate yesterday that must already have been done since the signed contracts from both sides have already been sent to the Premier League.

Now there is news in the Chronicle that suggests the takeover will not be completed until July – and after the current contract Rafa has at Newcastle runs out.

If this news is accurate today – it makes it even more difficult for Rafa Benitez
Good job Rafa has nerves of steel and a robust character

Why is it always the case – if this is true – that an Ashley run Newcastle is always in such a mess?

The Chronicle has posted this from journalist Ben Jacobs, an ESPN journalist based in Dubai.

“Bin Zayed Group sources say they don’t expect a takeover to be complete before Benitez’s contract expires on June 30.”

“Will be on Mike Ashley (and the impending lure of a possible new owner. If that happens) to persuade him to stay.”

“Notion Sheikh Nehayan wants Benitez to stay as a priority is also solely based on a respect for him from his Liverpool and Real Madrid days and a meeting just before he joined Chelsea.”

“But Wenger, with links to the UAE, and Mourinho are also out of work.”

“Point is Bin Zayed Group are making it clear their priority is to acquire the club not decide on a manager.”

“They see no reason to replace Benitez, but also accept he may go before they arrive.”

And this is a piece from Chris Waugh from the Chronicle about where Rafa stands:

“Despite the confusion which has reigned on Tyneside so far this week, Benitez has been told that it is “business as usual” as far as the United hierarchy is concerned.”

“And that, at least in the immediate term, Ashley is going to remain owner, so it is the retailer with who the Spaniard must continue his complex contract-extension negotiations.”

Newcastle will have to move in the transfer market well before the takeover – if indeed it’s supposed to be July when the acquisition will happen.

So we have the strange case that Rafa can bring in players through the end of June – guided by owner Mike Ashley.

And then if his contract is not renewed before June 30th, who takes the training when the players come back for preseason training on July 4th?

And who takes the first team squad to China for the Premier League Asia Trophy?

But remember, Ashley did a similar thing back in 2009 after we were relegated.

He wouldn’t appoint Alan Shearer as manager and then in late June, days before the players were to report back to training, he named the only two coaches we had – Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood to take over the management of the team.

The rest is history – because they and our players did an outstanding job for the club – and we will never forget that.

But that was still crazy and irresponsible management from the owner – and it looked at the time like he didn’t care one iota.

It seems inconceivable that Rafa will not be involved continuously until and after the club is acquired by Sheikh Khaled this summer.

If this state of affairs the Chronicle is reporting today is true, then it’s a real mess.

And Ashley’s hand is on this – he’s disorganized at best.

But we’ll leave it there.

We find it very hard to believe this is the actual state of affairs at Newcastle right now.

What do you think?

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 4:57 PM

Chicousa: not that subtle! The whole lot of them were taking what Geordie Two is taking now and put in a white room.

• toon22

May 28, 2019 at 4:57 PM

You can expect weeks of the deal being close
    Or soon at the weekend etc

Running down the clock as usual

• Optimistic Panda

May 28, 2019 at 4:57 PM

Kevin

I’d much prefer M’bappe, I suggested Bale as I’d seen a link to us on newsnow.

The question is who would Rafa want if he was told he could have anyone?

• GeordieTwo

May 28, 2019 at 4:59 PM

I don’t want to get too carried away aboot players until we get this deal across the line.

• chicousa

May 28, 2019 at 4:59 PM

SWALBR
    Glad you got the “Caine Mutiny” thing. That and your love of Cream and vintage tube amps and Newcastle United place you in a very elite group! 😉

• GeordieTwo

May 28, 2019 at 5:00 PM

Why don’t you explain your theory GS? Easy to criticize others but let’s hear what you think is happening so we can discuss it.

• Ron Knee

May 28, 2019 at 5:02 PM

Shock!

Chris Waugh@ChrisDHWaugh
    14s14 seconds ago

#nufc aren’t commenting on the takeover speculation – & are unlikely too, unless something is confirmed

• chicousa

May 28, 2019 at 5:03 PM

GS
    True. Unfortunately I’m having a hell of a time keeping up today….typing (pecking) on an iPhone and reading all the conflicting and misleading news reports is taking its toll on my nerves! Oh damn it’s too early here to start drinking too! 😀

• Tsunki

May 28, 2019 at 5:03 PM

Been away a bit…. Is it Sheik Kaled bin Zayed yet or still Sock Deal bin Ashley?

• GeordieTwo

May 28, 2019 at 5:04 PM

No comment GS? Why don’t you join us in the White Room and give us the inside story…

• GeordieTwo

May 28, 2019 at 5:05 PM

Hahahaha! Very funny Tsunki. I hope it’s not true.

• lesh

May 28, 2019 at 5:06 PM

The Bloomberg ‘aquisition’ entry refers to Newcastle United Limited (the football club) and you’ll see there’s only one director at the moment – Charnley.

• Tsunki

May 28, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Lack of love for Frog22 I’m feeling here. You should be proud of our paranoid pond haunter it’s activist nuisance fans like this that scares Ashley to death. The only reason Ashley would sell something that’s making a profit is if it’s hurting him in other ways such as terrible publicity. Don’t put down the shouters lads, they’re probably the ones driving the fat man out!

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Now back to NUFC:

We have a manager whose contract runs out in a month.

The Chief Scout was just hired.

We have no Director of Football.

There is no Board of Directors

Charnley is the lowest paid Managing Director (accountant/lackey) in the league.

Ashley isn’t interested.

And yet we are in the Premier League and making loads-a-money and Sunderland are in the 3rd division and are about to go bust if they don’t watch out. Funny old game.

• KevinHann

May 28, 2019 at 5:06 PM

@Optimistic Panda

I’m sorry to be the suspicious voice once again, but I am not entirely sure Rafa’s future is something we can take for granted even in the positive scenario of a rich and ambitious new owner. I firmly believe he truly deserves a real shot for everything he has gone through with Ashley and what he has done for us at a difficult time, hope that happens! But at the same time I do look at Rafa’s contract separately from the takeover – before he signs a new contract, his future is a doubt regardless of whether the club is sold or not.

It’s a bloody mess regarding transfers right now, I can’t believe we will be signing or selling players without knowing who the manager and owner will be.

• GeordieTwo

May 28, 2019 at 5:07 PM

It’s pretty elaborate even for Prince Sock Deal bin Ashley. He’s sitting at his desk rubbing his hands together and drooling slightly as we speak I’m sure.

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 5:10 PM

G2: I am confused about all of the new takeover talk. I have read so many different views in the press that don’t know what is going on. I think I have to chill for a while and see what develops in the next 24 hours.

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 5:14 PM

And, as I said G2. I really don’t get your sense of humour. Not sure if it is the Canadian transplant thing. But, I just don’t get it.

• GeordieTwo

May 28, 2019 at 5:14 PM

Interesting GS. As far as I know Steve Nickson is still the chief scout and he wasn’t just hired. It was in 2017. We don’t have a DoF but we have an MD. We haven’t had a DoF for years and we just keep doddling on thanks to Rafa despite incompetence above him. Possibly the Board of Directors is having a nice spring clearout for a new owner? And why would anyone pay Charnley more than minimum wage? It’s an outrage what he’s been paid over the years no matter how little it is. Ashley isn’t interested in football and never was interested but he is interested in making money and he’s done ok at that.

• GeordieTwo

May 28, 2019 at 5:17 PM

I’m not sure there is any sense of humour to get GS and I don’t really care one way or another. I agree the takeover thing has been poorly handled and is a complete muddle right now. But that’s nearly always the case once journo’s get involved. Eventually we’ll know the full story because the club will continue to need running and because there is a huge pile of money involved.

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 5:18 PM

Then again, I don’t get this new British sense of humour choosing between Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage to lead the country.

• dig-n-dig22

May 28, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Robleeno 91

The first site I visited when news of the takeover was breaking was the Bloomberg banner, even though it was a Bank holiday week end ,they are Financial giants , if they are covering it then it’s legit.

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 5:23 PM

BTW: I am English just living abroad and getting totally confused by the politics. More than ever.

Same with NUFC but at least I seems there will be some sort of resolution there soon.

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 5:27 PM

G2: I never quite get when you go off on the tangents in your own mind. I always think I might be missing something and then realise I am not.

• GeordieTwo

May 28, 2019 at 5:47 PM

Politics is definitely confusing. And sad. Brexit is a nightmare. I think a few politicians (maybe a lot) are taking advantage of it for their own personal gain and nothing more. They don’t care what happens to Britain. As far as the club goes we’ll get through this as with everything else. I’m hoping for the very best for the future.

• GeordieTwo

May 28, 2019 at 5:48 PM

I think you should find your own sources of amusement GS. Don’t worry about my tangents. They are what they are. I try to cut people a lot of slack on here. We’re all hugely different sorts.

• GeordieTwo

May 28, 2019 at 5:51 PM

Telling people you don’t get their humour is like telling them you don’t get their hair colour. Pointless really.

• GS

May 28, 2019 at 6:07 PM

Well there you go then. It is absolutely nothing like that, which is why you are so weird my Canadian friend.

• DubaiMicky

May 28, 2019 at 6:52 PM

You do know who The National is owned by don’t you……

None other than Mansour, yep, the guy that owns Citeh.

You think in this very heavily media policed country he would have let that run if there wasn’t an element of truth in it?

Nope, me neither.

PS, I’ve had wine so don’t roast me tomorrow for things I may say tonight!

• Jinky Jim

May 28, 2019 at 9:09 PM

Could well be another Brexit

• isleofmanman

May 29, 2019 at 4:16 PM

A one month Extension Agreement with new contract with Rafa option bolt-on can become an addendum to the existing contract. If Rafa doesn’t trust Ashley he can simply ask for a fixed fee for his extension and walk away if the deal cocks off

1 3 4 5