web analytics

Rafa Wants To Sign 21-Year-Old Brazilian For Between £17.5M – £21M

There were reports this past January that Newcastle were in negotiations for Juventus left-back Rogerio Oliveira da Silva, known simply as Rogerio.

There is a report in the newspaper Tuttosport that Newcastle are after the Brazilian again this summer.

Rafa after Juventus left-back Rogerio

The outlet Sportwitness has a screenshot of the actual newspaper report today which we have reproduced below.

The 21-year-old joined Sassuolo for €1.5M from Brazilian club Sport Club Internacional in the 2016 winter window.

Juventus then purchased the player that summer for €2M and loaned him back to Sassuolo for the past two seasons.

Rogerio broke into the first team at Sassuolo in February 2018 and has been a regular starter ever since. He has made 49 appearances for Sassuolo with 42 of those in the starting eleven.

While generally a left-back, he has played as a left-sided midfielder this season as well.

Now that Rogerio’s loan spell is over, he is back at Juventus but well down in the pecking order.

With Alex Sandro and Leonardo Spinazzola in their prime and ahead of him at the left back position, Juventus may be willing to cash in on the youngster.

The report claims the fee would be in the €20- €25M range.

This is an exciting young player who would fit well in Newcastle’s system at left wing-back if these reports are accurate.

• beermonkey

May 29, 2019 at 10:30 PM

op

we dont do it cos we need to
    we do for the excitement

May 29, 2019 at 10:32 PM

One of the reasons I feel the deal is further on is if I and I’m no businessman was buying a football club I’d want to own it before or as early into the transfer window as possible.

I wouldn’t want to be playing catch up or the manager missing out on targets etc.

The early burd an all that like

May 29, 2019 at 10:33 PM

Dubai Mickeg is officially a good sauce!

May 29, 2019 at 10:34 PM

And I still can’t spell

• GS

May 29, 2019 at 10:35 PM

Nige, Nige – give us a wave.

Nige, Nige give us a wave.

• ronaldo aarons

May 29, 2019 at 10:35 PM

Bill
    Try ‘Alt F4’

• jane

May 29, 2019 at 10:35 PM

the Premier league transfer window has been open 2 weeks and so far there has only be a couple of signings:

• RobLeenio

May 29, 2019 at 10:35 PM

Top midfielder that would complement Sean Longstaff and help to bring him on? One that’s readily available and has a good relationship with Rafa?

Juan Mata

Job done for 2 seasons at least while Matty Longstaff is brought into the 1st team

• beermonkey

May 29, 2019 at 10:36 PM

op

i think we will have an announcement soon dubai reckons thurs or fri and he could be right

looks like they started when we were safe so they will want to have it concluded before the window opens
    i bet they have been in touch with rafa as well as rafa appears to be shopping, but that could all be paper crap

• ronaldo aarons

May 29, 2019 at 10:37 PM

I read a few things on twitter about possible reasons why Ashley hasn’t allowed us to comment on this takeover.

Lost the link but something to do with possible abuse of market regarding sports direct shares since he’s already had a bit of activity selling off property then leasing it back.

I don’t really know and frankly don’t care now 😀

• ronaldo aarons

May 29, 2019 at 10:39 PM

Oh I don’t think this will impact Hayden. He will still want to move down and be closer to his partner and child and allowing his partner to live close to her folks. Just read his big in-depth interview.

May 29, 2019 at 10:40 PM

Rafa may have wanted one of those two or the new manager, it makes it more important to take over the club early when the manager for next season still isn’t sorted.

If these guys have been at this since February then they know all about the situation with Rafa it doesn’t seem that situation is resolved.

May 29, 2019 at 10:42 PM

Rob

Makes sense.

Was Mickey’s email saying Keegan will be involved in club

• Tsunki

May 29, 2019 at 10:43 PM

Wasn’t it Jib who put forward the thought a week or so ago that the reason why there might have been little headway on the Benitez talks might be because there was a sale under way and Ashley’s team were still my because of it? Fairs fair – hats off to a pretty good guess I’d say. Unless….the frog was…right and job is part of the team!
    :D.
    Ha ha perish the thought!

• Tsunki

May 29, 2019 at 10:44 PM

Jib jib jib not job dammmittttt!!!

May 29, 2019 at 10:44 PM

Tsunki

Jibs been claiming stuff like that for years, blind (drunk) shot in the dark

• bill

May 29, 2019 at 10:45 PM

Ronaldo,

Never use F keys, even though I’ve been using a PC since 1980’s. However, thanks for the advice.

• Tsunki

May 29, 2019 at 10:45 PM

It gets worse… “Still my because”?

…”STALLING because” – damn you autocorrect damn you !

• Tsunki

May 29, 2019 at 10:46 PM

OP shot in the dark? Maybe. But a pretty good one.

• SPRINGY

May 29, 2019 at 10:47 PM

Kevin hann:i would love us to “buy a cup or champions league spot” as i would love to see us win something while im still able to enjoy it!lol
    But i dont think it will happen,theres things need to happen at the club,structures and strategies,the training ground needs upgrading,players will have to bought yes but players on good contracts already at the club will have to be moved on first and they’ll not want to leave if the club is looking like it may achieve something,this may take a few years to get it all in place and that’s if we keep rafa…theres a lot that could/should happen…IF the deal goes thru….just my take on it like…i may be wrong and they splash the cash immediately!Lol

• GS

May 29, 2019 at 10:51 PM

What does Optimistic Oryx mean? Panda was crap and Oryx is worse.

GS is my initials. Boring, I know, but not confusing.

Say hello to the Canadian for me.

• Tsunki

May 29, 2019 at 10:54 PM

Just a heads up if you read the sad story in tomorrow’s news about autocorrect being found in a quarry lime pit tied to a block of concrete and left to die it wasn’t me. I was in the pub at the time, asleep. 😐

May 29, 2019 at 10:54 PM

De Gea
    Lejuine VavDyke Scharr
    Walker Longstaff Hazard Sandro
    Salah Rondon Almiron

My entry for Rafa bingo

😉

• KevinHann

May 29, 2019 at 10:54 PM

@RobLeenio

It’s very difficult to compare us to Spurs, they have built their squad for years and there were a huge number of factors that worked out well for them which we don’t have:

– They were there or thereabout playing in the Champions League a long time ago, under Redknapp – they were able to consistently attract top tier players offering them European footie before the fees skyrocketed as much – a lot of their players cost the same as what the likes of Bournemouth spend on their signings today;
    – They literally had the chance to buy half a team after cashing in on Bale;
    – They didn’t need to spend a fortune on Harry Kane as he is academy product – imagine how much we’d need to spend for this level of striker today – not to mention others like Winks;
    – They faced lesser competition than we do now – it was top 4 when they were growing to challenge, it’s way different having to catch 1 of the big clubs off guard and needing to oust 50% of them for a CL spot!
    – All in all our current squad is way off the level Tottenham had achieved a long time ago and requires significant investment just to get on par with the Harry Redknapp team.

It is possible to do it patiently and with careful but consistent investment of course – just keep in mind this is not competing with the top 6. It is competing with the likes of Everton and Wolves with a hopeful glance on Europa League qualification.

I’m not suggesting it would be a bad thing, it’s all down to the goals and levels of expectation, as well as how long term the project will be.

I’d be more than happy with watching the club unshackled and growing to its natural potential without huge money spilled in, just getting rid of the rot is massive on its own! But I wouldn’t be disgusted or something if we are able to cut the gap with the big clubs quicker, just to get on par with them.

TL;DR: If you believe a couple 20 million transfers per season give us a good shot of replicating Tottenham and reaching the CL final and contending for the league title, I’m afraid it’s not likely to happen.

• Tsunki

May 29, 2019 at 10:55 PM

I’m preparing to change my avatar btw. Primarily because Ashley and Charley might be no longer relevant. And secondly to distance myself from the awful murder of my spellchecjer.

May 29, 2019 at 10:56 PM

I forgot subs

Dubs Costa Aguero Matta Shelvey Dummet Willian

May 29, 2019 at 10:59 PM

Kevin

It’ll take years to get anywhere near the top 4 but I cant wait to enjoy the ride, it’s nice to dream away from Ashley’s shackles

• RobLeenio

May 29, 2019 at 11:00 PM

OP, no mate, not that.

I hope it happens, though.

I still have a funny feeling Arsene Wenger will be appointed Director of Football. I should have stuck it on my list of things to be announced in the next two days.

Pretty sure he said something like he wants to be involved in football, will be involved soon but not in a coaching role.

So, I guess we could look at some Arsenal players if that happens. Mesut Ozil, anyone? That Guendouzi played brilliantly against us when we played them away last season.

May 29, 2019 at 11:04 PM

Rob

Ashley’s in the shit, needs money going to jail

• GS

May 29, 2019 at 11:05 PM

He is OO now!

• RobLeenio

May 29, 2019 at 11:06 PM

Oh, Kieran Trippier too. Doesn’t always get the game time he needs at Spurs, awesome with the dead ball, quick and can defend, wicked cross going forward. He needs to find consistency, but that would come with confidence and a regular starting place.

• simon376

May 29, 2019 at 11:07 PM

OO
    You never know, remember us after our first promotion to premiere league, first 3 seasons of 3rd 2nd and 2nd, good manager and couple of additions, anything possible, though not holding my breath

• simon376

May 29, 2019 at 11:10 PM

You did say that Rob and wouldn’t surprise me, think would be a great move

May 29, 2019 at 11:12 PM

I’m going to stick my neck out and say we’ve already signed Rondon.

Just got a feeling, he posted a picture of himself still with his Nufc top on training.

The deal will go through, Rondon Rafa and Sheikh Khalid (or rep) at the first press conference.

• RobLeenio

May 29, 2019 at 11:12 PM

OP, no mate not that. Again, would be happy if it were true.

Kevin Hann, good post mate, all fair points. I agree they have been building over time, but really so have we. We have a great squad of young players in the reserves and could find several of them making the step up in the next 3-4 years, possibly our very own Winks or Kane in there. We have a solid, young squad which competes with every team in the League and needs some quality sprinkled in. We have a World class manager and are starting to introduce a World class coaching set up around him.

Things are moving in the right direction, money should be used to boost what we have, not overwrite it.

I don’t think we’re that far apart in our thinking, the great thing is that the thing that was holding our club back and preventing any kind of change is about to disappear (inshallah)

• Singinginthecorner

May 29, 2019 at 11:13 PM

Just be happy to have a good start to the season if the start was as good as the finish last season we would of been in Europe

• JP...from The Rock

May 29, 2019 at 11:14 PM

I would go and snatch Zaha and Van Aanholt from Palace. I would also get Tagliafico to have our problematic LB position sorted once and for all.

May 29, 2019 at 11:16 PM

What about sesingone you know who I mean

• simon376

May 29, 2019 at 11:16 PM

Wouldn’t disagree with you there JP

• RobLeenio

May 29, 2019 at 11:16 PM

Wenger quote from his recent BBC interview

“Football is still my passion. I will come back soon – but I cannot tell you exactly in what capacity.”

Could just be a general comment, or he could be speaking about something specific.