web analytics

Rafa Wants To Sign 21-Year-Old Brazilian For Between £17.5M – £21M

There were reports this past January that Newcastle were in negotiations for Juventus left-back Rogerio Oliveira da Silva, known simply as Rogerio.

There is a report in the newspaper Tuttosport that Newcastle are after the Brazilian again this summer.

Rafa after Juventus left-back Rogerio

The outlet Sportwitness has a screenshot of the actual newspaper report today which we have reproduced below.

The 21-year-old joined Sassuolo for €1.5M from Brazilian club Sport Club Internacional in the 2016 winter window.

Juventus then purchased the player that summer for €2M and loaned him back to Sassuolo for the past two seasons.

Rogerio broke into the first team at Sassuolo in February 2018 and has been a regular starter ever since. He has made 49 appearances for Sassuolo with 42 of those in the starting eleven.

While generally a left-back, he has played as a left-sided midfielder this season as well.

Now that Rogerio’s loan spell is over, he is back at Juventus but well down in the pecking order.

With Alex Sandro and Leonardo Spinazzola in their prime and ahead of him at the left back position, Juventus may be willing to cash in on the youngster.

The report claims the fee would be in the €20- €25M range.

This is an exciting young player who would fit well in Newcastle’s system at left wing-back if these reports are accurate.

• Optimistic Oryx

May 29, 2019 at 11:18 PM

Rob

Could he work above Rafa?

• TyneMouth

May 29, 2019 at 11:19 PM

Tsunki. @ #169

… weren’t Jib who opined the possibility that Rafa’s contract negotiations could realistically be linked to an even bigger commercial action taking place (ie, the take over!)

It was humble little me.

Can’t be bothered to back search my original post, but the sound of silence, (at the time) suggested something was happening.

The only event bigger than Rafa’s new contract was a take over, simples…

sunki

May 29, 2019 at 10:43 PM

Wasn’t it Jib who put forward the thought a week or so ago that the reason why there might have been little headway on the Benitez talks might be because there was a sale under way and Ashley’s team were still my because of it? Fairs fair – hats off to a pretty good guess I’d say. Unless….the frog was…right and job is part of the team!
    :D.
    Ha ha perish the thought!

• simon376

May 29, 2019 at 11:20 PM

I think after a year or so out it’s time for him to come back in a different role like that and don’t think it would upset Rafa too much, surely prefer discussions with him instead of Charnley

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 29, 2019 at 11:20 PM

My last post was 192 comments ago so again a lot of sand blown over the dunes in that time.

I see we are bringing out the wish lists with quite a few optimistic names on them.

At the risk of dampening the fervour, the last time we were doing that was when an English billionaire bought the club, I’m hoping there’s no repeat of that.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 29, 2019 at 11:24 PM

I’m finding the idea that KK might be coming back a bit nonsensical, can’t see Rafa wanting that to happen.

• Optimistic Oryx

May 29, 2019 at 11:26 PM

I wonder if anything will happen in the next 24hrs.

If Friday is a day off in Dubai it would make sense to announce tomorrow however that means 90% of males in Newcastle wouldn’t turn up or would be pissed at work on Friday.

They don’t drink not their problem, tomorrow it is.

• Munster Mag

May 29, 2019 at 11:26 PM

Surely if we appoint a DOF, rafa will choose him. He’s not good mates with Wenger and his football philosophy is different to both Wenger and KK. I think rafa just needs an efficient MD, not a twat on a string from MA.

• Optimistic Oryx

May 29, 2019 at 11:27 PM

Unless they fly over Friday on their day of lol

• Optimistic Oryx

May 29, 2019 at 11:30 PM

Bill

Everyone’s having fun, we’re doing what the press does but with more humor.

I can’t see Keegan or Wenger coming back or here, someone like Kenyon or the man himself yes no doubt. Everyone’s guessing, it’s fun.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 29, 2019 at 11:32 PM

I would doubt very much if Rafa would want a director of football, he’s very much a hands on doing it all himself type of man.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 29, 2019 at 11:34 PM

Oryx (sorry but that reads better than OO) yeah I get that, probably be coming out with some silly suggestions myself!! 🙂

• Optimistic Oryx

May 29, 2019 at 11:37 PM

Looking at the way BZG operates they reward excellence and continued improvement, it’s one of the main things they talk about in all their pr.

With that I’d expect a lot of investment in the academy training grounds and infrastructure.

Plans may already be drawn up.

• Optimistic Oryx

May 29, 2019 at 11:38 PM

Bill

I expect Rafa will ask for more staff for first team and academy

• RobLeenio

May 29, 2019 at 11:39 PM

OP, he could work above Rafa IMO. I think they have history, but they’re professionals and I’m sure they respect each other. Imagine being a player and having both Rafa and Wenger asking you to come play for them. Also imagine the knowledge contained in their collective little black books.

They could be an awesome combination.

I’d also like to see Kevin Keegan as Director of Football. Either or would do me just fine.

Let Rafa get on with coaching the first team, could be great.

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 29, 2019 at 11:44 PM

Apart from new players, I wonder what sort of new equipment might be coming into a vastly revamped training ground.

A hyperbaric oxygen chamber, one of those Cryotherapy healing tanks (to replace the plastic rubbish bins) for starters.

And they could be of benefit to the people of Newcastle, one of the possible philanthropic aims of the new owners.

• Optimistic Oryx

May 29, 2019 at 11:47 PM

If Wenger was in charge of the youth system and signing Rafas targets with no interference in first team affairs sweet if not no thanks.

It would be great to have a academy spewing out gifted athletes for Rafa to teach tactics too!

• Essex Geordie Bill

May 29, 2019 at 11:48 PM

Don’t know what the current scouting set up is but Rafa may well want to have a bigger network especially in the America’s (North and South)

• Optimistic Oryx

May 29, 2019 at 11:49 PM

Bill

In that case they should buy a Ferrari, I’m depressed but I’d feel a lot better crying in a Ferrari

• Optimistic Oryx

May 29, 2019 at 11:49 PM

I’m not really depressed but if I dont get that Ferrari I will be.

• RobLeenio

May 30, 2019 at 12:02 AM

I was intrigued by the promise of investing in the club and in the city.

The BZG has a construction arm, I wonder if they are keen on bidding for the new Arena build behind the Sage or on the big wheel thingy up by the Ouseburn.

Could be they see potential to make money from those kind of projects, while using the club for marketing / PR purposes.

• JP...from The Rock

May 30, 2019 at 12:17 AM

Rob- It would be amazing if they buy back the land for stadium expansion, that’s the kinda construction I would like to be seen done.

• lesh

May 30, 2019 at 12:54 AM

RobLeenio

As Wenger and Rafa were peers, top manager’s in their own right, I’d suggest that Rafa would find it difficult to accept reporting to Wenger – and vice versa.

However, bring in someone Rafa trusts to work under him as coach then over time appoint Rafa as DoF to oversee his project and that might work.

• lesh

May 30, 2019 at 1:02 AM

RobL

Don’t want to be picky but isn’t The Sage in Gateshead?

In saying that, many moons ago, Gateshead Council produced a batch of plastic carrier bags for the use of its library users and they were printer ‘Gateshead City Libraries’. Somebody had big ideas for Gateshead methinks.

• lesh

May 30, 2019 at 1:04 AM

* top manager’s ……… managers ffs!

• lesh

May 30, 2019 at 1:07 AM

And again

were printer……… were printed! Ffffffs grrr

• dig-n-dig22

May 30, 2019 at 2:03 AM

EGB

I think Keegan carries a lot of influence regarding agents and club managers all over Europe, don’t forget Luka Modric’s agent chose NUFC over Spurs because Keegan was manager only for Ashley to screw it up. Keegan could do a great job working from a Rafa wish list.

1 4 5 6