web analytics

This Star Player Was Too Expensive Last Week – But Maybe Not Now?

There was news we published yesterday that BSC Young Stars left back Loris Benito is in England to seal a possible free transfer to a Premier League club.

Benito has been linked with Newcastle several times recently, and the Sun was reporting they think that club is Newcastle.

Rafa wants to bring n two full backs this summer, and we have also been linked with CSKA Moscow full-back Mario Fernandes, but the last reports on him were five days ago, and we thought the fee of close to £27M would prevent any move by Mike Ashley.

But there is now a possibility Newcastle could go after the non-Russian speaking full-back if indeed Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed al-Nahyan manages to buy Newcastle.

Mario Fernandez – could be in reach this summer?

Or even another of the two groups besides Sheikh  Khaled said to be looking at Newcastle’s financial records – but that seems far-fetched unless Sheikh Khaled is not allowed to buy Newcastle.

All kinds of adverse outcomes for the attempted takeover are being reported in the last day or two.

It’s as if the reporters don’t want the deal to happen?

If Sheikh Khaled does buy Newcastle – say in early July, there’s plenty of time for Rafa to bring in a couple of top players – expensive players and those who Ashley wound not sanction because they were too expensive.

But Newcastle must also abide by the Financial Fair Play rules now in place.

We can, however, spend a lot more than the £50M a season Ashley has sanctioned – it could easily be double that amount.

And Rafa doesn’t need a lot of money.

But it’s also true that to bring in the four or five world-class players he will need to flip Newcastle into a side competing for the top six – they will be (very) expensive.

As we said earlier a bid would be in the region £27M for would be needed to get the Brazilian born 28-year-old to Newcastle.

It still seems difficult to imagine, and would only happen if we get a new owner in with money to spend.

But perhaps we shouldn’t dismiss the possibility?

Fernandes has 16 caps for Russia and joined CSKA Moscow way back in 2012.

He eventually made his Russian debut against Turkey in August 2016 after acquiring Russian citizenship.

He doesn’t speak Russian – wonder if he speaks English?

• magscar

May 29, 2019 at 8:10 AM

Jail

• magscar

May 29, 2019 at 8:11 AM

Jail

Post on last thread – I know you hate reposts

• DubaiMicky

May 29, 2019 at 8:14 AM

Ooops, just missed the bus.

Dunno whether anyone has seen this? An interview with our potential new owner.
    What does the “bored” think? Very eloquent, obviously intelligent and fluent in English.

• Jail for Ashley

May 29, 2019 at 8:16 AM

magscar,
    Do you honestly think that the new owners would ditch a guy who now knows the club inside out and has s proven record of success, only Mike Ashley is capable of doing that st a club our size.

• Jail for Ashley

May 29, 2019 at 8:17 AM

magscar,
    Yes, reposts are, in the large very unnecessary.

• magscar

May 29, 2019 at 8:21 AM

Looks like the usual close season transfer speculation is going to go into overdrive once the possible rich buyer is stirred into the pot.

Of course as some would have it all this has the opposite effect – we won’t buy anyone!

Rafa’s contract, players might be going or coming in, do I get a new 4K Tele so I can watch matches involving our new top 6 side in Sky ultra HD -so many decisions muddied by this sale or not 🙁

• magscar

May 29, 2019 at 8:33 AM

Jail

I value Rafa as you know but new owners often have their own ideas .

I would expect them to stick with him (just as Mansours did with the lesser manager in Mar k Hughes for a time) but does Rafa need more renegotiation after this slog and does it offer an easier choice for them in dispensing with him if that was their wish. Just saying.

There is no one better for our club under Ashley and in the aftermath of a sale in my opinion but at the risk of incurring your wrath would Liverpool or Man City take him if they loose Klopp or Guardiola?

If all is as it seems then much will depend on how quickly new owners want to move forward with their gameplan and whether that involves a different manager.

I’d stick with Rafa but I’m not a billionaire

• GS

May 29, 2019 at 8:36 AM

I am trying to figure out how long this vetting process for a new owner might take. The only real benchmark we have is Man City and I think they bought for someone as opaque as Ashley. Some Malaysian businessman with a name with about 25 letters in it, if I recall correctly. I will look it up as I doubt there will be anything happening with Rafa and transfers until the ownership is sorted out.

• magscar

May 29, 2019 at 8:37 AM

Jail

As t o reposts there’s nothing wrong with them as threads change as long as posters show courtesy by prefacing them as such May my them easy enough to skip 🙂

• magscar

May 29, 2019 at 8:40 AM

May my them is of course making them – what !?

• hibbit

May 29, 2019 at 8:44 AM

the chronicle implying this is the latest update from both sides of the deal https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-takeover-mike-ashley-16345447

• GS

May 29, 2019 at 8:45 AM

I think Tony Xia at Villa took like a month from start to finish so we might be in for a lot of blog speculation and lots of frog. Usually, nothing is even on the horizon and then suddenly there is an announcement that some US investor has bought the club like with Swansea or Southampton. The fact our prospective new ownership is being discussed in the media tells me we have about a month of this. That will take us to the end of Rafa’s contract so we better strap in for a long and bumpy ride.

• Budge123

May 29, 2019 at 8:49 AM

Hibbit- From the Chronicle -waiting for an offical bid doesnt sound promising!

I have no idea what to think on this. One min positive the next dismissive.
    I guess the only known thing about this is that it is typical for us to have this uncertainty

• GS

May 29, 2019 at 8:51 AM

Rolando: I usually skip posts if I catch a reference to thonging or honey badgers and you are welcome to skip my posts.

• JP...from The Rock

May 29, 2019 at 8:53 AM

No proof of funds now!?? But the sheik says he’s sent records of bank statements to the FA already.

This is getting ridiculous and repetitive.

So sick of all the confusion every season. Can things just be done normally for a flipping change!

• GS

May 29, 2019 at 8:56 AM

Now, I think The Chronicle have a chance to redeem themselves here. They were late to the takeover party, as usual, but if this is for real then they can now do some real reporting. Something we have not seen for years as most of Ryder’s “articles” are little more than extended tweets.

I don’t think they have many contacts at NUFC anymore and Ashley has shut them out with threats of even less access. This is their chance to actually do something and not just set up a pathetic petition or tell us 5 useless things they learnt.

• magscar

May 29, 2019 at 8:59 AM

Mickey

Don’t usually click links unless music related but did quickly view yours @3 and what’s not to like.

Interestingly though my YouTube thumbnail links which appeared on same page included a Newcastle Fans TV update page showing a photo of a seemingly different younger guy?

This highlights the problem we face with the confusion over who buyer actually is – I bow of course to your greater understanding of this and trust he is the potential buyer.

• JP...from The Rock

May 29, 2019 at 9:01 AM

It just occurred to me but the Man City owner denying any relation to our Sheik Khaled could be his way of doing him a favour. If he had said that they are indeed related someway then it would jeopardise his chance of purchasing NUFC as the FA would not allow it. As they have come put and denied any relation then we have a chance and he’s helping his cousin out.

• GS

May 29, 2019 at 9:04 AM

I usually like the Canadian sense of humour. John Candy, Mike Myers. Martin Short leaves me a bit erm… short though. I watched “On her Majesty’s Secret Service” the other night and Mike Myers could just take the whole script as written and do another Austin Powers movie.