A number of papers including the Chronicle, the Shields Gazette, and the Telegraph – among others – contacted the Premier League yesterday to try to get some clarification on what’s going on with the potential Newcastle takeover.
There have been conflicting reports on the potential takeover and most have been negative towards Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed al-Nahyan whose group – the Bin Zayed Group – are trying to acquire Newcastle.
The group for the second time in three days issued a statement on the takeover and basically, they are as far along in the takeover as the Sun indicated in their initial report last Monday and they provided some details of that.
Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley – it’s hot under the collar
As a refresher here is that statement:
“In consideration of the numerous speculations in regards to the timelines of the acquisition of Newcastle United Football Club by Bin Zayed Group, we feel the need to issue this statement.”
“Terms have been agreed between us and Mike Ashley; these terms have been reflected in a document, signed by both parties, which has been forwarded to the Premier League.”
“The proof of funds statement was forwarded to Mike Ashley’s lawyers on 17 April 2019.”
“The so-called fit-and-proper Premier League process is a standard procedure which will take time, and we are doing all we can to assist the Premier League during this process.”
“We feel the need to clarify this point in order for the fans and the general public to understand the timelines.”
There are specifics there which so far have not been challenged by Ashley’s camp.
The Premier League acted responsibly yesterday and said to the journalists they would not provide commentary on a takeover that may or may not happen.
Again they didn’t deny anything the Bin Zayed Group said in their statement of yesterday.
And we don’t know whether we will hear from Ashley who often acts like a man on another planet.
Why is he so quiet, remote and secretive?
The Bin Zayed Group group are already issuing statements to update fans on what is going on.
That’s something that Mike Ashley has done maybe once every three years at Newcastle.
So we can already see the difference of what a well-run club will look like at Newcastle.
To have the Bin Zayed Group running the club with manager Rafa Benitez given the freedom to make Newcastle great again – is like manna from heaven.
We need a new owner and Mike Ashley should never have bought the club a long and painful 12 years ago.
We hope this goes through becasue we are convinced it’s a genuine bid and that the buyers this time have the money.