web analytics

Is Top Target Headed Back To Brazil For Bargain Fee?

There are some tweets from journalist Gustavo Henrique with Radio Globo in Rio De Janeiro that may be of interest to Newcastle United fans.  The tweets concern long-term target Thiago Maia.

Thiago Maia– is this class player going back to Brazil?

The first tweet, which is in Portuguese, is this:

This tweet, using Google, translates roughly to this:

Thiago Maia is from Flamengo, the impasse was solved. The pass will be pre-set at 8.5 million euros. The loan will be 1 year with the club for 4.3 million reais, with 730 thousand reais of salary for the player. Now there are three reinforcements: Rafinha, Jemerson and Thiago Maia # futgloboradio

From this translation, it appears as though Thiago Maia could leave  Lille on loan to Flamengo with an option to buy at €8.5M.  Flamengo is a club in Rio who currently lie sixth in Brazil’s Serie A.

The reais mentioned in the tweet is the Brazilian Real, the official currency of Brazil, and equals roughly 20 per cent of the British pound.

The next tweet which is from yesterday is:

This tweet roughly translates to:

Last minute demand irritates Marcos Braz and Thiago Maia may not come, the deal was right, at the time of signing the contract, the club’s shareholder overruled the president of Lile and asked priority in the purchase of Reinier for 30 million euros.

This tweet is in reference to Marcos Braz, who is Flamengo’s Vice President of Football.  From his latest tweet, it seems that there is some conflict between Lille and Flamengo which has cast doubt on the transfer of Maia.

The latest in this growing saga is from a press conference today with Marcos Braz.  He gave this statement, which we have translated:

“As for Thiago Maia, it seems that Lille would like to involve the game in exchange, negotiation, everything very superficial, very shallow. There’s nothing. ”

In the very least, this is very enlightening in that Maia is likely available for an initial loan with an option to buy at €8.5M.  This is the exact dream scenario that would have seen Maia join Newcastle last summer but Lille was holding out for upwards of €20M.

It’s a shame the club is in such limbo at the moment as this is a deal Newcastle should pounce on.  A loan with an option to buy is the perfect deal for a player coming off a subpar season, who has shown quality in the past.

• RobLeenio

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:30 AM

Cheers carltoon and JohnReese from previous. I knew it wasn’t complimentary.

Long balls was the reference I remember, which was a nonsense on the night. I wonder if he was trying to present himself in a complimentary light against Rafa.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:38 AM

Rob – in contrast a couple of seasons back we were playing Spurs and the Anti Ashley protests were on. I was dishing out some posters and I can say all the Spurs fans that went by were fine, had some friendly banter with them.
    Somebody else one here said we could have been Spurs – but commencing our rise a decade ago if Fatty Tubbs had invested in the club properly.
    Spurs have risen progressively and as Jenas said today could be at the top of the game for many years to come.
    It could have been the Toon.

• Online Guy

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:39 AM

Evening/ Morning Lads, Carltoon .

Busy day ..just sat down and read through . Observed Tsunki acting the innocenti with Munster , Munster only replies to you because you agitate in the first instance , I mean , what do you get out of it, taking the Piss out of people ? It unsettles the camaraderie of the blog man .

Tsunki it’s usually you that kicks off any trouble with your designated targets coming under attack almost dailly, so here’s a request.

Please refrain from your tactic of spitefull acerbic comments towards others and we will see how we all get on .

You usually try and rope one or two blog members in with you with some clever manipulation ..tonight you tried it with me and that was uncalled for .

Even Jail is opting out of joining in with you and your piss taking now.

Be kind and decent to people ..they are people ..remember ?

Try foster good relations instead of your daily need to put someone down .

• JohnReese

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:40 AM

I think so Rob, I also think he was slightly rattled by such a ‘small’ team in his eyes being the better side. There’s been a few occasions this season I seem to remember him being rather down on other teams when they pushed Liverpool, when they fortunate to get a result. I believe he bought into the hype that they were the best thing around when in actual fact there were a number of games where dubious decisions and goals won them the game.

• NY Mag

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:43 AM

Mr T,

It could have been us…..I still try to think positively,it may still be us in the future

• carltoon

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:45 AM

has anyone heard from the club re their season tickets? I’m sure it’s getting later every season.

• RobLeenio

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:45 AM

Munster “It could have been the Toon” – nah, it should have been the Toon. Trust us to end up with the Billionaire football club owner with a non-football agenda

🙁

JohnReese, they are over-reliant on their front three and van Dijk. City have more balance and a deeper squad, I think Liverpool need to spend again this Summer to keep pace with them.

Of course, we’ll be breathing down their necks next season too…

😉

• JohnReese

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:49 AM

That was the big difference for me between them and city. City dealt with a lot of injuries through the season to a lot of key men but kept going at a consistent level. Liverpool would struggle if one of those front 3 or Van Dijk had a long term injury.

I think next season could be really interesting in a lot of respects. If certain teams keep investing at the levels they have, for the first time in a long time there’s 2 or 3 teams that could feasibly compete for the top 6. Id be surprised if we don’t see one or more ‘big’ team drop right out.

• carltoon

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:49 AM

Liverpool owners stated winning the league I s more important than Champions League so will be reinvesting for next season. We can just dream of an owner like that.

• Online Guy

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:50 AM

Geordie Two

The GS fool got a flea in his ear .

He spouted some really derogatory stuff your way .

Strange how he went on the attack and ranting at you for no apparent reason ..I can only summise he’s had a frontal lobotomy, I use those words because you were indeed dealing with a moronic character .

Most of the blog seen him off in your absence..

He’s got at least 3 aliases as each post he made was hearted 3 times .. and nobody on the blog would give him any points for his stupidity.

• Online Guy

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:50 AM

Carltoon , you still there ?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:51 AM

Rob

how would I know about Essex street pizza, I’m from Sunder, oops you nearly caught me out there.

I’m sure it’s really lovely, I mean yes it is really loverly!

• toon22

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:52 AM

Have we been sold yet ?

Maybe next year…..
    Or the one after…

Over and over again

• JohnReese

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:53 AM

On a completely unrelated note to anything I managed to pick up a couple bottle of Johnnie Walker double black on my way back up the road today, love the stuff but the whisky shop nearest to me won’t order it for me!

• carltoon

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:57 AM

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:59 AM

Hopefully Jurgen lives up to his name and Liverpool Flopp v spurs.

Saying that I dislike spurs too but I’m rooting for them tomorrow. Wouldn’t mind Kane getting a good few kicks off Van Dijk.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:00 AM

Am I still here?

• carltoon

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:03 AM

Yes Bill you didn’t have any females on your list of favourite bloggers.

• NY Mag

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:03 AM

toon22,

Since you’re about – I think Martoon wants a word with you……

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:03 AM

What did you have with your pizza, I’m guessing a good portion of chips with some cheese on it.

• NY Mag

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:04 AM

Bill,

You’re in trouble now……kipper slapping is nothing once you upset the ladies

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:06 AM

Who would win in a fight between Toon22 and Toon44? Not a physical one, a cyber one. On here or on World of Warcraft (if that’s a thing) or fortnite.

My money is on toon22 with a demolition job, grinding 44 down with nonstop attacks.

• carltoon

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:06 AM

He sure is.

• RobLeenio

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:07 AM

Where are you from JohnReese? If you’re anywhere near Tynemouth there’s a good wine merchant on Front Street with a decent stock of whiskies. One in Jesmond, too – Rehills – either one should order in for you.

Alternatively, there’s always online, though I know it’s nicer to go into a shop and pluck a bottle off the shelf, maybe have a snifter of anything they have open for sampling while you’re there.

• Sheik-en but not stirred

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:08 AM

Gee do people really prefer spurs win??? There fans will be unbearable if they win!.

On another topic…..

Has the sheikover happened yet? Zzzzzzzz

• carltoon

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:10 AM

NY I see another shooting over there. 11 dead.

• RobLeenio

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:10 AM

Bill, I said pavement pizza, it refers to what’s left on the street when folks have drunk too much and been slightly unwell.

😉

• RobLeenio

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:11 AM

ronaldo, I reckon either one would spawn camp the other and farm them for xp. Shysters like that.

• JohnReese

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:12 AM

I’m up North in Scotland these days Rob. Originally from Gosforth but I’ve been up here for.. well too long now. Wife doesn’t want to take the kids out of their school either so I think I’m in for the long haul.

• carltoon

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:12 AM

Not bothered who wins. But I remember the four three games.

• JohnReese

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:15 AM

Also I’m banned from any whisky sites, got drunk last year and ordered a very old bottle of Black and White that set me back about £800. Wife found out and took it to the local shop and sold it on to him at a big loss.

• RobLeenio

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:16 AM

JohnReese, you’re in Scotland and drinking Irish whiskey?

I’m surprised they haven’t burned you as a witch – they can probably smell you’re not one of them.

😉

• Online Guy

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:16 AM

Lesh , thanks for the link earlier , Leon.

Wor Bill .. Lesh ..

There is a nightmare about to hit all your streets ..It’s wireless electric car chargers ..there will be dozens of them in all areas and by that I mean at your front doors .. the RF power from them is significant health wise. Iv read ridiculous power output claims ..2.1kilowatt ..no chance im thinking but it will be significant RF power levels to charge electric cars in your neighbourhood, transmitters every few metres !

We have a rep from the RSGB at a meeting in Brussels right now trying to get it stopped .
    (RadioSociety of Great Britain) Prince Philip is president of our Society, but note, they have no sway and no teeth and Ofcom are just as bad and not fit for purpose .

The RSGB should get short shift as because of past form on decision making on EMC and health concerns they will probably put money before people’s health and spectrum abuse and roll it out .

I will give you the real skinny on it all as I learn more ..the power levels are a massive concern, and the frequency ..not certain at this stage what part of the spectrum will be effected.

It could kill radio off other than dab. Digital crap .

• NY Mag

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:20 AM

Carltoon,

Yes, I’ve just seen it on the news……tragic

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:22 AM

Yeah, there’s loads to like about Paul Dummett, but the fact is good teams dominate possession and play it out well at the back. I think Dummett is a tip top pro and great defensively, but on the ball not at that level.

• carltoon

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:22 AM

NO wonder we are all dying of cancer. Well I’m hoping I see a change of owner soon rather than later.

• JohnReese

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:26 AM

I had a young lad that worked for me last year and he’d never tried whisky before. I suggested a few to him one Friday to try over the weekend. He comes back in on the Monday and tells me he was at the pub and an older gent and his wife saw him trying them and invited him back to theirs to sample some more. Finishes one of their bottles and just leaves. Had to explain to him that’s just poor etiquette and he had to go and replace it for them.

• Online Guy

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:27 AM

John Reese

Have you been to the Old 100 (Auld Hundred bar in Edinburgh) ? ..get some great company in the form of USA and Canadian folks in there…Whiskey ..some real vintage to be had ..one ..3 shots £120 .

Nowt spectacular .

• NY Mag

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:28 AM

JohnReese,

£800, that’s a lot – I only drink the expensive stuff if someone else is paying 🙂