web analytics

Newcastle United Starlet Pours Cold Water On Departure Rumours

Our very own Sean Longstaff has given a great interview to NUFC TV recently. It seems he is progressing well from his knee injury and is also really exciting about his future prospects.

Sean Longstaff– a Magpie for years to come

Sean Longstaff has become a revelation with his performances this past season. After finding it hard to get on the pitch, Young Sean finally got his chance this past January and he was absolutely immense.

His calm demeanor and footballing brain belied his inexperience as he just seemed to stroll through games. He always made himself available with his subtle movement.

It was like he had been doing this in the Premier League for a decade.  He just oozed class and it was so fun to watch.

But for an unfortunate knee-injury shortening his season, Longstaff had become irreplaceable as he kept the experienced Jonjo Shelvey and Ki Sung-Yueng sidelined.

This past month has seen the transfer rumours swirl around the local lad. With the most prominent being a £25M link to Manchester United.

Sean spoke of that link and his progression this season to NUFC TV:

“It just shows how far I’ve come. If someone told us at the start of the season that by the end of it you’d be linked with these teams I’d have laughed at them but it’s nice, it’s flattering. I’m massively flattered to have my name even mentioned in those conversations but like I said, I’m 100% focused on Newcastle and trying to get fit and get back in the team here.”

While Sean is flattered about interest from top clubs, especially as his new found fame is only months old, he reiterated what many fans were longing to hear.

“For me it’s nice to be have said about you and be linked with top clubs but for me, this is what I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve always wanted to play for Newcastle and I’ve only had a little taste of that so for me, it’s about getting fit as soon as I can and getting back on the pitch for Newcastle and making more memories of the future.”

We like the sound of memories for the future at Newcastle.  And who knows, maybe even some memories for England await as well.

When asked if Newcastle remained his focus, Sean gave us a glimpse into his desire to be a success at Newcastle in the coming years:

“Absolutely. I think I have dreamt of this from Boxing Day to the day I got injured – I dreamt of that month since I was a little boy. Three months isn’t enough. I’m not satisified with playing nine games, I want to play as much as I can and do it for a full season.”

We can’t wait to see what the future holds for this midfield gem.  We are so impressed with this youngster’s rapid development and complete game.

We hope to see Sean in the black and white stripes of Newcastle United for many full seasons ahead.

• Mindshaft

Jun 7, 2019 at 8:41 PM

Grounded player – he knows he can play for a few seasons with nufc and get good playing time – if he Carey’s in progress the offers will always be there

• JohnJ

Jun 7, 2019 at 8:41 PM

Good on you Sean!

• droppy in Wallsend

Jun 7, 2019 at 8:45 PM

Impressive young man, stepped in when needed and never once looked out of place. Great to hear he has his head screwed on and the club in his heart. Looking forward to seeing much more of him in the future.

• Lascelles sells sea shells by the sea shore

Jun 7, 2019 at 8:48 PM

Kid has it all!!! He will lift a trophy as Captain of this great club in the future!!!

HWTLs

• yogz69

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:02 PM

If this takeover comes through I don’t think he will ever leave

• ben.g

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:16 PM

It’s coming through!

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:25 PM

Shelvey comes back a month early and does an interview with the club on NUFC.TV and Lee Ryder writes: “Why silence from the NUFC Boardroom has allowed Jonjo Shelvey to hijack the B&W Agenda”. How can an interview with the club’s own channel be “hijacking” the agenda? Does Ryder have something against Shelvey. Maybe Jonjo doesn’t talk to him and Lee is miffed?

Everytime I read something from Ryder he goes further down in my estimation.

The Chronicle are just churning old information at this point and are stuck because nobody will talk to them and there isn’t any transfer speculation going on bar a boring story about Joselu.

I have said this before, but now Waugh and Ryder are stuck interviewing themselves and doing endless podcasts that are a rehash of the last one.

How did we end up with these two no-hopers?

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:28 PM

But, we will get a newsblast at The Chronicle on Sunday when they reprint a bunch of made-up stupid stories from the Sunday tabloids because they need the clicks and have nothing of their own.

• ben.g

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:30 PM

I wouldn’t listen to anything chronicle or others say.

Mikey hasn’t even offered Rafa a contract!

All this waiting for Rafa to sign is nonsense.

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:35 PM

Sticking with The Chronicle, they say that their “man in Dubai” has told them nothing will happen over the weekend. Well that’s a surprise! His name is Neil Mitchell. I wonder who he is? Is he a journalist or did they just get his name randomly out of a phone book or off twitter? Maybe Dubai Micky could tell us if he is reliable.

• NY Mag

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:40 PM

Tony,

He’s the former chairman of NUST

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:44 PM

NY Mag: thanks for that. do you know if he has actually told them anything? There are really too many articles on there to be able to go through them all to find out for myself.

• DubaiMicky

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:46 PM

Tony Baloney, I know Neil personally, we talk pretty much every other day.

He’s accurate, he’s a top bloke and he has his ear to the ground.

We talk about stuff we’ve heard, where we’ve heard it from and such like.

He’s a good egg.

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:50 PM

Dubai Micky: I tried a search for Neil Mitchell on The Chronicle website but it didn’t work. I will take your word for it that he is on the level. I know I was a bit facetious earlier but that was more about The Chronicle “sources” because as far as I can see they are now few and far between and most of their “news” is off the internet and them talking amongst themselves. So, can you blame me for being cynical?

• DubaiMicky

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:53 PM

Tony, not at all, I’ve had many beers with the guy, (Goodfellas @ Ramee Rose Tecom, Dubai), and I know and trust him.

He’s solid.

• TyneMouth

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:55 PM

The Friday night before the Sun broke the news about the Sheik-Over, I was at a garden party in North London. I related an incident from the party, the next day on this blog.

The incident in question was a throw-away comment from a fellow guest, a young lady who worked in the Fashion Industry, she admitted she knew nothing about football but claimed she knew Mike Ashley through her business activities.

She then stated that he was a infuriating person to do business with, especially over the last few months, this was because he was permanently distracted by the process of the*partial* sale of his precious football club!

Obviously the *Partial Sale* interested me, I asked for clarification, but all she said it was simply *office gossip*.

I posted this on the Saturday morning, and thought nothing more about it. The Sun broke the take-over story the next day.

I simply considered the comment I heard on the Friday and the breaking news from the Sun were purely coincidental.

However, over the last few days there have been a few suggestions that Ashley may continue to have some relationship with NUFC!

This would be completely unacceptable. This would be the worst of all outcomes.

• NY Mag

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:57 PM

Tony,

I have no doubt he’s in contact with the chronicle – he’s been doing articles with them going back several years and he was always getting quoted in the nationals where he was chair of NUST

• DubaiMicky

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:59 PM

I don’t think it would be totally unacceptable TyneMouth (And I may be wrong but I did think you said the full OR partial sale, anyway that’s academic).

I want him gone as much as the next man, if he still owns 40% so what, he’ll get profit but can’t do a thing.

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:00 PM

I know the silence will be broken by fake stories on Sunday, but it is deafening from all of the Nationals. Nothing really in more than a week. They all have reporters assigned to the North East and are saying nothing. Do they have Non Disclosure Agreements as well? Does the fat man have so much power that he has put gag-orders on them?

• 89Norcal

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:04 PM

Forgive me if its been plastered everywhere already, but a Newcastle fan filmed a skip at (allegedly at SJP) filled with Sports Direct banners on twitter

• Mindshaft

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:06 PM

Tony, there’s nothing to report so the nationals aren’t reporting the rubbish that Lee Ryder and the chron churn out

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:07 PM

Just a personal opinion, but I highly doubt that BZG would want anything less than total control. If they have any advisors they would know how toxic the relationship between Ashley and the supporters is. Hell, all they would need to do is watch a video of the Fulham game to know. They would want a clean break but perhaps Ashley could twist their arms and force them to keep commercial contracts for the club shop and his tat ad hoardings. Perhaps that’s why he said Sports Direct would ne paying NUFC for advertising from this year on?

• NY Mag

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:08 PM

Micky,

Partial sale would create quite a quandary for Ashley.
    The only way he gets his loan repayment is if he sells lock,stock
    And the only way he retains any commercial involvement is if he doesn’t

• NY Mag

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:11 PM

Tony,

Sports direct are paying for advertising – £1m in their last accounts.
    This money has also been recognized in the latest accounts from st James holdings, but hasn’t been given to the club – yet

• kev1664

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:12 PM

Tony,

Mark Douglas tweeted this before.

“The original point is ridiculous anyway. There are occasions – as George will attest – where to protect a source or because it could endanger a deal, you might not be able to reveal something *at that point*. But at a later date, it is still relevant and worth publishing.”

It wasn’t in the context of the takeover, more of a comment in general about old stories (this one being linked to claims Joselu could have went to China for £10mil in Jan).

However I’d imagine this could be related to the silence, now that they “know” maybe they don’t want to scupper any deal, meaning they aren’t saying anything on it at all other than monochrome set up, lawyer firm being used.

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:14 PM

Mindshaft: having no news has never stopped the papers making up stories before. They could also write what amounts to an opinion piece. Last Luke Edwards said about 2 weeks ago was that he was skeptical anything was happening. There have been quite a few developments since then and I haven’t seen anything from him. He is the Telegraph NE Reporter and it is his job to report, not stay silent. What is he doing if he hasn’t written a NE story in 2 weeks?

• Average_Contents

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:17 PM

I disagree DM

He needs to go lock, stock and barrel.

He’s been an albatross around the clubs neck for far too long and starved it of any success under the guise of can’t compete. Not to mention treating us fans like shit and with utter contempt.

The list is endless, so to piggyback on any future success under any form or continue to make any more money from for doing absolutely fcukall is a massive p1sstake imho.

Fat cnut completely out!

Hwtl
    Hwtf

• TyneMouth

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:18 PM

DubaiMicky.

You are right, I think I probably said *Full or Partial*. Obviously it was my surprise hearing the word *Partial* that stuck.

However, do Arab Businessmen get involved in joint ventures? I thought that was a Chinese speciality…

• Average_Contents

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:22 PM

Can you imagine if he gets £350m but he’s still here in some capacity.

Milking the club of any profit and still getting his sh1t shops advertised for a pittance. All under the ruse of still paying back the loan as nymag alluded too.

No thanks.

Get the fcuk out

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:23 PM

I know I would probably give the reporters sh!t if they did say anything, but hell, that’s their job. Their job is to report, not to stay silent.

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:26 PM

Ed and Neil can bash out 10 articles a day and Luke Edwards is silent for 2 weeks!

• Optimistic Oryx

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:30 PM

Average

So no statue for Ashley for saving us?

• NY Mag

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:42 PM

OP,

Only if we’re allowed to throw eggs at it 😀

• ben.g

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:43 PM

I’m sure someone will back me up on this. I posted it on Monday I think.

It’s £350 mill for Mikey to leave, SD signs can only be up if Mike pays full asking price.

Rafas making deals about transfers now, in and outs.

New info is there’s been no contract offered to Rafa from Mike Ashley.

Rafa met with Ashley and sheikhs people in London, this is because Rafa never believed the takeover was happening. London has put his mind at ease.

• lesh

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:45 PM

TyneMouth

I’ve got a fancy you said he was preoccupied (or words to that effect) with selling the club.

In any event, he’s likely to let the grapevine know he’s after retaining some interest in NUFC and that may be the case, perhaps in some agreement that SD has visibility for example or that it continues to get some of its advertising gratis. That might account for the removal of some signage.

Next time you see your informant, buy her a drink or two to see what else you can glean.

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:49 PM

Ben.g: Where did you hear that Rafa met with the Sheikh’s people in London? Do you have a link?

• lesh

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:51 PM

Online, Essex

It’s a disgrace that whoever’s been ripping out hedgerow and trees without any resistance. People tend to see established hedges as just barriers without any thought of the wildlife they support. Bloody shameful.

The earth and the life it supports has taken millions of years to evolve but man’s greed and thoughtlessness has brought the planet to a state of near destruction.

• ben.g

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:52 PM

Tony

Nope it’s from the player’s

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:55 PM

ben.g: do you have more specifics? I haven’t seen it before that RAFA met with the Sheikh’s “people”. Maybe I missed it but I don’t think I saw it on here. Or on the Chronicle who for all of their faults do belt out a lot of NUFC content.

• Optimistic Oryx

Jun 7, 2019 at 10:56 PM

SD are paying for advertising.

What i think we’re seeing is the space they aren’t paying for being freed up.

I’ve a feeling SD will have a small showing of ads but cherry picked for TV spots for years to come.

That’s why he’s started to pay for ads, he’s taken the cream for himself.