web analytics

If It Looks Like A Duck, Swims Like A Duck, Quacks Like A Duck, It Probably Is A Duck

Everything we have heard from the Bin Zayed Group (BZG) and Sheikh Khaled on the proposed £350M acquisition since the news broke three weeks ago seems to be in line with what happens with a takeover.

The BZG group has issued two statements to the fans – two more than Newcastle have issued – and have said they have agreed a fee of £350M with Mike Ashley to buy the club.

They have also said they have provided the Newcastle over with proof of funds om 17 April and that they were trying to close the deal as soon as possible.

That was a full 60 days ago and more than three weeks before the season ended so they have been working on the deal for a lot more than two months.

They have also created a group called Monochrome Acquisitions Ltd which is a code name for “The Newcastle United Acquisition Ltd.”

On the Newcastle side they have also been cleaning up companies no longer viable at Companies House – and this has been seen as a prelude for a takeover when shares are transferred between the two holding companies.

And news today from Sun journalist Justin Allen has written a piece saying the takeover is progressing well and hopefully will complete before the end of June.

He also reiterates the BZG group want Rafa Benitez to stay on as the manager.

So we are reminded of that saying – was it Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, or Colombo who thought it up?.

It’s called the Duck test.

It says – “If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.”

This thing in action at the moment at Newcastle looks like a takeover, and it, therefore, is probably a takeover.

Believe it.

For those connoisseurs of history here’s some good information on the Duck Test.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:24 AM

I posted this on the last thread just as Ed put this one up.

My post is a duck too…

The only thing that is new about this news is that BZG want Rafa to stay.

Everything else is a repeat of BZG’s statements from 2/3 weeks ago.

Beats me why the sceptics suddenly seem optimistic… if they’d have taken BZG’s earlier statements, and MA’s refusal to deny them, and put two and two together they’d have saved themselves all of the anguish and hot air.

The takeover is real, Rafa is staying is real, and MA is going is real.

• jazzyp

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:24 AM

Quack quack says no comment

• Optimistic Oryx

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:27 AM

What if it’s a decoy?

• jazzyp

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:28 AM

Bilic’s arrival at West Brom will lead to a swap deal between Rondon and Gayle.

Good deal ???

• RolandoOverhead

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:33 AM

They had better have someone lined up who can get transfers done within days, rather than Chumley and his transfer sagas. Or we’ll have a bare bones squad till Christmas!

• Optimistic Oryx

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:33 AM

Jazzy

If Ashley doesn’t sell I think the swap deal will be the only real chance we have of getting Rondon.

I’d have kept Gayle last year, I’d give him another chance for a year.

• Bambams

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:38 AM

I just hope when it is announced ….I am not at work.

Straight to the ground and then a few celebratory drinks in ‘Shearers Bar’

• Tony Baloney

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:42 AM

I watched a bit of the Women’s World Cup. Wasn’t terrible, but I wouldn’t pay to see it.

Looked like 22 female shorter, slower Mike Williamsons.

They weren’t as bad as Amdy Faye though, but then again he was the worst player ever to pull on a B & W shirt.

• 4evatoon

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:42 AM

If it looks.like an ashley stunt so he doesn’t need to buy anyone. If it sounds like an ashley stunt to cover getting rid of rafa. If it smells like an ashley “hate the fans plan “. It probably is

• Tony Baloney

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:43 AM

Bambams” you should give Jon a call.

• Bambams

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:44 AM

Tony

I cant afford to drink with Jon

😉

• Diddly

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:46 AM

Two afternoons planed on the drink this week. Hope for an announcement on one of them. If not not too adverse to another one

• Optimistic Oryx

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:51 AM

Bambams

I’m working at the gate for the next month, if its announced next week i’ll be straight round SJP to see it with my own eyes.

Then a little jig on Strawberry place.

• Bambams

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:03 AM

OO

That I need to see fella !

The town will be jumping once he is away, in 5 years we will have forgotten all about…

• bill

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:15 AM

When it happens, I’ll spend my summer holiday in the North East:-)

• Optimistic Oryx

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:17 AM

I might get 8 cans and sit on the top deck of the Newcastle sightseeing bus and take in the atmosphere around the city.

• JohnJ

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:17 AM

It’s driving me Quakers!

• hibbit

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:21 AM

OO/Bambams
    i think there will be more then a little jig in strawberry place the day it’s announced, more like the geordie nation first national holiday will be declared 😀

• Tony Baloney

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:23 AM

Why has it driven you Quakers John J? Didn’t they all leave and come to America?

And Ed has banned all talk of religion on this blog.

• hibbit

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:24 AM

:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D happy days

• toxic lollie

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:24 AM

OO
    How far around the city will 8 cans take you?

• hibbit

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:25 AM

well that didn’t work LOL

• hibbit

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:26 AM

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 happy days

• Mag :P

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:28 AM

I’m not getting carried away just yet.

Even though it looks likely I just can’t see past Ashley’s schemes.

One more solid bit of evidence might just do it you know. The stars do look to be aligning.

I mean, this would be unchartered territory for me, all I’ve ever known is Ashley at the helm. Hoping for brighter days in the future with him long gone.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:30 AM

India by 100 runs. Pakistan out for 225.

• Optimistic Oryx

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:30 AM

Toxic

Not fat

• Optimistic Oryx

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:31 AM

Far

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:33 AM

‘It’s raining ducks, hallelujah!’

I was going to do the Quackers (Quakers) one but John got there first sort of. 🙂

• Munster Mag

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:33 AM

MagP, you’ve only been supporting since Ashley was here? Jeez I’d hate to be that young or that new a fan. I’ve never doubted this will happen although the slow pace can be a bit concerning.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:34 AM

Tony so you are going to be one of the billion plus people watching today?

• Munster Mag

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:35 AM

Billson, spot on fella. Hopefully the mackem frog and his aliases will be big enough to say ‘I was wrong despite being a ridiculously irritating fool’ and then bugger off for good.

• Optimistic Oryx

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:35 AM

MagP

Why you everyone’s whipping boy at the minute?

Who’s chips you pissed on?

I asked Mickey the same question as you yesterday and no one said shit.

• bill

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:36 AM

Mag:P, I’m almost tempted to say that you are lucky. Many of us had to put up with a sh*te stadium, and the likes of Lord Westwood and Gordon McKeag running the place. Add to that second division football which nearly turned into third division football, saved by the skin of our teeth.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:36 AM

Are they putting Bernard Manning on the video screen for between innings entertainment?

• toxic lollie

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:37 AM

OO
    We got pub crawl buses here.. you can always get a top up!

• bill

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:41 AM

Not having a go at you Mag:P. We all start supporting at some point. Unfortunately, our history since the 1950’s has been generally one of failure. We have had the odd glimmer, through Keegan and Bobby Robson; not to forget the Fairs Cup in 1969, but that’s about it. Pathetic really for such a big club.

• Ben Afri

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:48 AM

Like Mag 😛 I’m not getting carried away and am also cautiously optimistic, but here goes my question… Since we’ve already been warned that expecting Man City money is not going to happen, which position in the league would you be happy to be around over the next 10 or so years? My thoughts are that we’d realistically be fighting for around 7th or 6th place most seasons. My question is do you think we would be happy with that as long as Ashley is gone? Or would we become restless once we’re used to no longer worrying about relegation?

• Ben Afri

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:51 AM

That was not meant to be an emojee

• Mag :P

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:52 AM

I noticed that aswell OP. I was just genuinely curious.

Munster, yeah unfortunately I went Newcastle mad at around the age of 14. Quite late but I couldn’t get to games so my interest wasn’t that high. I first started reading commentary because we weren’t televised often and we didn’t have the sports channels to watch live and then I started watching games through streaming when I was 15 (when I first started contributing to this blog). My love for this club snowballed from there and I haven’t missed a minute of football since whether that be watching or listening on the radio when we were in the championship. I’ve still never been to a game due to my anxiety but I hope one day I can visit when the club it moving forward with Ashley long gone.

If you’re wondering what made me turn to Newcastle then you have my dad to thank. He’s a geordie haha.

• Ben Afri

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:54 AM

Mag P

Totally understand about the anxiety. It’s why I can’t go to concerts any more