web analytics

UAE Reporter In Contact With BZG – Takeover Silence Is Key – Deal Not Far Away

The Shields Gazette interviewed Dubai resident and Geordie Peter Redding a day or two ago.

Peter works for Capital Radio out in the United Arab Emirates and provided some much-wanted insight into BZG and Sheikh Khaled.

Redding has been a radio and TV sports presenter, and pundit for more than a decade now.

This is some of the insight Peter Redding gave to the Gazette during the Q and A  interview.

“Sheikh Khaled Bin Zayed Al Nehayan is a well-respected business pioneer of the UAE, of that there is no doubt.”

“A little look at his CV shows how qualified the man is – he is a graduate of Boston University, and he has completed his Ph.D. course work in finance from Michigan State University.”

“He is the chairman and founder of the Bin Zayed Group – established in 1988.”

“Given his wealth you only have to look at the company’s trading and profits.”

“Here in the UAE local business people do not speak of wealth it is known as Haram (forbidden in Islamic law).”

“But it is definitely safe to say he is a serious player.”

“As far as a deal currently – I think the silence is key. And that can definitely be seen as a positive.”

“I have open contact with BZG and, speaking to them, I feel a deal to buy Newcastle United is not far away.”

“Knowing the culture of the UAE and being involved in sport, this is no smokescreen as viewed by many back in the UK.”

“This group are the real deal.”

“I think the BZG group are looking to replicate foreign ownership from the likes of Man City and PSG.”

“While I don’t think that kind of wealth is an option I can see this being huge for Newcastle United.”

That’s very good (and positive) information from Peter Redding.

If we only read what BZG have said things seem (very) positive.

But it’s the club’s leaked information to the Chronicle that has confused things, with Mike Ashley still saying he has yet to receive a formal offer from BZG.

This needs to be sorted out and sooner rather than later.

But we’ve been saying that for nearly four weeks now.

And time marches on.

• jimiley

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:18 PM

There is nowt we can do to get rid of Ashley except support the team. He will leave in a box and all we can do is wait for that day (30 or 40 years) and keep supporting the lads.
    You sad people.

• jimiley

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:20 PM

Now get doon the groond and give the man your wedge. He has a retail business to run.

• DavidKelly9

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:21 PM

Oh well big mike for another year you were correct again mr frog

• jimiley

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:23 PM

5 working days until Rafa signs. We know he will. Why would he go anywhere else??.
    Big drink next Friday when he signs.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:23 PM

Caulkin piece is full of opinions. Certainly more informed opinions than mine since I am 4.000 miles away and he goes to games and press conferences. But still opinions. And whether he is a “respected journalist”, as every blogger loves to call him, or not he can be wrong. I know Caulkin has been skeptical all along so this changes very little.

• JohnJ

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:26 PM

You guys were on about hard players earlier on……

Well Jimmy Scoular was as hard as nails – he didn’t mess around he just got stuck in!

• Asi Fish

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:27 PM

Well said Tony. I am also approx 4,000 miles away and think we all have the same info as each other….which is very little.

I hope this time is different but I think he (MA) will play the same game as before.

I might ask the feral donkeys what they think……………..?

• Champagne Charlie

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:30 PM

I don’t understand why the club would re-structure the academy if new owners were coming in.
    To me this is the most worrying sign yet.

• Jib

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:30 PM

If BZG gave proof of funds the same weekend as the Leicester game
    (when safety was assured) presumably they had talked to Ashley’s
    people previously.
    I wonder how long before?
    and if Rafa had an inkling ?

• jimiley

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:33 PM

The board is divided between the believers and non believers. Most are believers because its better to be positive even if the positivity flies in the face of reality. The 8th sale and counting.
    The non believers are just negative twats who just happen to be right.
    The believers are like people who have been stuck in a desert without water for a month and see an Arab oasis with loads of water in the distance. Its just a mirage but they are gagging for it.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:34 PM

Jib: what is your view on all of this? You have been pretty quiet recently. I know you have been on holiday. Your real view, not devils advocate which I know you like to play.

• Reilly

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:36 PM

George Caulkin
    @GeorgeCaulkin
    36m
    In terms of takeover, there isn’t time now for everything to be finalised before Rafa’s contract ends & it feels too late whether Ashley blinks or not. You can never say never (Bowyer and Charlton prove that), but it’s bleak as eff right now.

• Dubs Left Glove

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:36 PM

Ok this restructuring doesn’t sound good but at the same time why would Ashley announce this before the season ticket deadline? If he wasn’t selling he want us all to keep guessing until the season ticket deadline then do whatever he wanted.

• woodey

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:36 PM

see some people are suggesting what Puma could have done with the shirt https://imgur.com/a/GwxFTja

last one looks better

• Jib

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:36 PM

A Roman catapult was called an Oneger
    Wild Ass
    Which I guess is a feral donkey
    One hell of a kick
    Be careful Asi

• woodey

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:37 PM

@174 although lettering on second looks better

• Asi Fish

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:39 PM

No worries Jib, we never get behind them 🙂

• Diddly

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:40 PM

Jim I m stuck in the desert but still got me own urine to drink. Not dead yet

• woodey

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:41 PM

And btw, the restructure was set up months ago, just for some strange reason the club is announcing it now…..

• Tony Baloney

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:41 PM

Jimiley: nothing is simple with Ashley. Even you can admit there has been quite a bit of information pointing to the fact that this time may be different. Press releases from a group that actually have the funding in-house and do not need to cello-tape together a consortium.

If it wasn’t Ashley, everybody would be on board. But it IS Ashley. I have never been 100% for that reason but one article saying Rafa might fancy China doesn’t change anything. Especially since I think that is highly improbable.

And I will repeat – I have been 100% that Rafa running down his contract IS a big deal. It makes it much less likely he will be NUFC manager, whomever is owner.

• Jib

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:42 PM

Mr Baloney
    It feels different this time
    I’m with Hibbit
    July 1st – Martha and the Vandellas

• Prestonmag66

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:44 PM

Another question for toon22, what do you suggest we do as a unified force to oust assley?

• droppy in Wallsend

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:45 PM

Is George Caulkin suddenly 100% ITK
    and utterly correct about everything?

I thought Rafa was supposed to be in charge of all football matters, so does the restructuring not point to him staying?

• magscar

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:46 PM

Maybe as I have speculated this is at last Rafa’s ” 3rd party” getting something out into public arena on his behalf viz

– I am frustrated at impasse, no sign it will be sorted when my contract expires and not good enough for me to sign in hope, I have other offers.

A plea for understanding from fan base if worse happens or a gee up to Ashley that don’t think i will sign just to stay until and if takeover happens.

Possibly both.

Could he work without a contract in short term? – others have but how risky would it be?

As deadline approachs without any hard information from anywhere this is only going to get worse – roll on July 1st to see where we are 🙁

sorry for ramble just my stream of concious thought as i am listening to some music to relax 🙂

• fairscup

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:46 PM

Jib – Dancing in the street

• Mindshaft

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:47 PM

I doubt Ashley is paying people to post comments on this blog, they are doing a terrible job if that’s the case – i don’t remember anyone since maybe catchy and jane defending fatman and i think they are more likely to be mackems.
    Maybe toon22 is an ashley stooge and he’s using reverse psychology on us 😀

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:48 PM

Cricket
    England ain’t got a easy run in
    Last three games
    Australia
    India
    And New Zealand
    Over bloody confident today thought they could bash their way to victory
    Nobody got the brains to get their head down and graft the runs out
    Hollywood cricketers !!!

• Shoulders knees

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:52 PM

Brainless batting from tailenders

• magscar

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:55 PM

A more positive thought having just seen Reilly’s post of Caulkin’s tweet – Ok so Rafa is a free agent on July 1st therefore he can talk without any restriction to BZG and be involved in prospective player aquistion discussions as well as who he would keep with a view to signing new contract if and when sale goes through.

Surely not for ever but must be worth a punt by Rafa in short term as there aren’t any jobs out there right now which would be of a greater attraction than NUFC under new owners and he at the helm.

• hibbit

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:58 PM

just a wee point about George Caulkin,
    I got slaughtered over the Amanda Stavley takeover fiasco .well George Caulkin was getting his information from exactly the same source as me and the info was wrong now everything he says is gospel 2 other bidders ???? his information is as only good as his source ,

they were wrong last time, how come he’s so sure this time !!!!!!!!

• willowdalerez

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:59 PM

I’m a cynic on the takeover (been had before) but SD has just gone and bought Game Digital for £52m. Here’s hoping SD’s short after all Ashley’s bad punts and needs the cash injection from a takeover. Still with just over a week to sign Rafa he may be lost even with a takeover

If you want the story on Ashley’s latest acquisition and past losses here they are:

• TomaKaThor

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:01 PM

If there is no takeover and it all has went to pot, it will be a total disgrace that nobody official has come out and said anything, the club is run like a horrible circus, this whole time the club could of just said atleast one thing to tide the fans over but nope everyday we are hoping for news and having to jigsaw things together ourselves, which is pretty impossible with so many awful journalists and out and out liars, who claim they have inside knowledge that always turns out to never come to fruition

• magscar

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:06 PM

hibbit

as many have commented there is a journalistic vacuum in last month even from serious ones – just over a week away from the one definite deadline we are all aware of – Rafa staying or going – so presumably time for an opinion piece if no new facts?

Btw many didn’t slaughter you (and others) for the Stavely fiasco you shared what you had in good faith as others are now doing and i respect and welcome that – its one of the reasons I frequent here

• spb

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:08 PM

Maybe BZG are in no rush and want to do things right. Maybe they dont see rafa as the man to take us forward. What would everyone prefer losing rafa and BZG buying us with days to go before the season or us keeping Rafa and not selling. I know what I would prefer and that’s BZG buying us and building for the future and Finally getting the fat f**k out. Managers come and go, but dont get me wrong I dont want to lose rafa either bit if it came to flipping a coin that would be my choice.

• supersholamackemslayer

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:12 PM

@hibbot good point.
    Disclaimer- I like George he always tries to report the truth and is not afraid of calling Ashley out.
    But…. he was so off the money with Stavely. He was also so far up her but he knew what she ate for breakfast. And he was wrong. No one lambasted him. Yes Rafa wont be signed before takeover if it does not happen before 30th. He will be a free agent and can sign with us on 1st July. Simples… BZG will buy us I have no doubt whatsoever. Too much information leading up to it. It’s taking time to work through all the convulted companies that Ashley has created to siphon money from the club.

• chancel be a fine thing

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:16 PM

Just seen this on twitter, Darren Gough claiming Ashley keeps moving the goal posts. His source being his mate who is a lawyer working on the deal apparently.
    Dean Woods
    ?

@wuds100
    Darren Gough on Talksport claiming he’s seen the email regarding the proof of funds from BZG but says Ashley is moving the goalposts every time they get close to a deal and is asking for more.

• Novocastrian66

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:17 PM

That Tomori is absolutely shite.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:18 PM

I don’t trust any journalists. They have sources and their sources are often wrong or ill-informed. And they change what they say from day to day, quite often totally, and conveniently forgetting what they said the day before. Selective amnesia. Caulkin seems one of the more reliable ones but the fact that Ed and others often refer to him a “Respected Journalist” seems to give his opinion more weight than it deserves. He works for a Murdoch paper after all. Perhaps I will start calling him MURDOCH STOOGE George Caulkin if Rafa doesn’t go to China.

• geordietom

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:18 PM

Jail …
    for you info i never mentioned the frog . when i was on about me talking to the mackem …

Jail me thinks you have a soft spot for the Frog mate…

• chancel be a fine thing

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:18 PM

wooooooo, arghrghghrgh, wooooooooo, arghrghghgrgh, woooooooooooo, arghhghrghg
    Don’t you just love the NUFC summer sale roller coaster….

1 3 4 5 6 7 10