web analytics

Did Mike Ashley Try To One Up Rafa Benitez?

It appears as though, in the classiest of fashions that only Mike Ashley can produce, Rafa Benitez was not aware of the announcement given by Newcastle United this morning of the end of his tenure.

Here are some tweets doing the rounds on Twitter at the moment:

If Mike Ashley got upset at Rafa and sent out the announcement when Rafa Benitez was still expecting further negotiations, then the situation at Newcastle is even worse than we thought. And we didn’t think that was possible.

In an interview earlier this morning, Luke Edwards of the Telegraph reported that Rafa Benitez was refusing to come in and Mike Ashley was resigned to the fact that Benitez would leave.

However, it may be that Mike Ashley was frustrated with Rafa’s negotiating tactics and thus, out of spite hastily released the statement this morning.

If that is actually the case and Rafa Benitez has been prematurely let go by Mike Ashley while there was still hope of him staying; then Mike Ashley is a bigger wretch than we thought he was. And we didn’t think that was possible.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:37 PM

Lochinvar

Anyone pointing the finger any direction but right at Ashley needs locking up for the safety of society.

• Sir Braveheart

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:37 PM

Throwing names around like Moyes….we should be so lucky.

Did anyone see Parsee coming? Or Kinnear?

If we get Monk that’ll probably be lucky

Feel bloody sick this evening….

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:38 PM

Mund,
    Your fellow Teesiders aren’t our biggest fans 😮

• Binney

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:38 PM

I wonder what we’ve all done to deserve this.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:39 PM

Jail – just looked through the league and there’s nobody called Jail For Ashley. There’s five or six iterations of Ashley Out though, so I’ll assume you were one of them then.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:41 PM

Chancel My MBembaship,
    I was about 41st or summit?

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:42 PM

Oops, just spotted you in position 40. Sorry about that. I was only looking at team names 🙂

• Mund

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:43 PM

I know mate why do you think I said I got the pisss took out of me my whole life lol every time I got introduced to a friends friend was like don’t trust him he’s a Geordie lol

Is what it is tho I love the club

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:43 PM

Chancel My MBembaship,
    Ha ha, just one place above you and a place and seven points behind that tw@t Catchpole 😀

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:43 PM

I’m sure you’ll break the top ten this season with all that research you’re doing ahead of time!

• RobLeenio

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:43 PM

‘wretch’ definition: a despicable or contemptible person.

Bravo Ed. Absolutely bang on the money.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:44 PM

8 months off the tabs, got to hold out another hour and 20 mins for the local shop to shut.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:44 PM

My eldest lad finished second, and he never bloody shut up about it. Kids!

• Mag52

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:44 PM

AO

• RobLeenio

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:45 PM

Mund thanks for sharing. You have nowt to gain by lying after all. You’ve very specifically said news tomorrow so it’s gonna be easy to check out.

I hope there’s something in it, I really do.

• supersholamackemslayer

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:46 PM

Accordingly Rafa was at the club today when the news broke.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:47 PM

I wonder how many of these new people who joined after the takeover announcement will stick around after July 1st’s non-event? Always happy to see new people on here, I’m just wondering if they’ll lose interest if we end up with no takeover and a crap manager.

• SPRINGY

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:47 PM

Allan Saint-Maximin close to agreeing personal terms with Newcastle
    Nice-Matin report that OGC Nice winger Allan Saint-Maximin is close to agreeing personal terms with Premier League side Newcastle United over a possible summer transfer.
    Then the next line…. although negotiation haven’t start yet…so how can they be close to agreeing terms??….wow… journalism at its best….what a complete load of shite…. especially the bloody price… we’d never agree to pay that! Lol

• Mag52

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:48 PM

What is your game c-dog ?
    Do you really think anyone believes you know/heard about Monk dining with Wise?

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:48 PM

Chancel My MBembaship,
    I hope I can find the heart to play it, today has knocked the stuffing out of me.

• Mund

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:50 PM

Robleenio

Me too mate but like I said I doubt it’s anything at all just a little snippet of hope something is going on behind the scenes

• big bob

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:53 PM

Paddy power
    The Irish bookies tweeted: “After the Rafa Benitez news, we have PAID OUT on Newcastle to be relegated from the 2019/20 Premier League.”

• lesh

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:53 PM

Mund

Big meeting tomorrow? Nah, it’ll be Rafa in with the club’s supposed HR (Human Remains) person who’ll be there to give Rafa his P45 and explain his holiday pay and how the week lying on system works.

Unless there’s more to it but in any event we can but wait and see.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:59 PM

The only bit of happiness we’ll be getting next season has to be from a fantasy because there’ll be eff all in the real world with Rafa gone and Ashley counting his pennies.

• hibbit

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:00 PM

i live in north yorkshire between yarm and northallerton although yarm is my post town
    all 3 teams are well represent in yarm

• JohnReese

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:03 PM

I didn’t think this night could get much worse but I’ve somehow just ended what was a pretty nonsense argument with my wife, over something stupid, by apparently calling her fat, without ever saying it.

It was nice knowing you gents.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:06 PM

JohnReese

Ah shheeeeeiit!

Good luck with that one mate.

That’s going to be an expensive apology.

• Reilly

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:06 PM

Mund.you have been inhailing to much of that fine boro air.

• lesh

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:06 PM

Some radio pundits making a big thing about Rafa not being willing to live within Ashley’s so-called self-sufficiency model.

That’s grossly unfair because as an aim, self-sufficiency could be workable – provided Ashley played his part and ordered SD and the like to pay the market rate for its advertising and gave the club a fair return on merchandising. Has he seriously tried to market the club to advertisers and sponsors? Probably not.

With the right aims and a manager such as Rafa who’s shown he can add value to players, the club could compete at a higher level than it has and be self-sufficient. Ashley is responsible for today’ debacle but his greed far exceeds any sense of morality and consideration for his customers, the club’s fans. He is the personification of unbridled, nasty, amoral capitalism. We can but hope he gets his just desserts soon.

• JohnReese

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:08 PM

Droppy, she’s been looking at new cars recently. I think this whole thing is a set-up but if there’s one person in this world I’m scared of, it’s my wife!

• Scholesy

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:11 PM

First time poster. Been reading the links for a while. Just seen on Sky Sports News Pete Graves has mentioned even after today’s announcement Ashlie and Rafa still willing to resume talks. Mund might have something.

• lesh

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:13 PM

There’s a lot of optimistic posters on here and I hope for their sake that the takeover comes off.

I’ve found that by keeping expectations low, the good news is even better than hoped. Hold ’em high and there’s one helluva thump when hopes are dashed.

Ashley’s effectively sacked Rafa and he’s not got much more to lose by taking the club off the market – again.

• northernirishtoon

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:13 PM

Lesh 100%

The PR coming put of this club is phenomenal

How can anyone with half a brain think we are running a self sustaining model

Ashley taking millions out

Not a penny on generated on sd advertising

Rafa turning a profit and not being allowed to sign
    people within the budget

Very self sustaining aye

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:19 PM

Scholesy
    Odd name for a Newcastle fan. Where has Pete graves said that?
    At 7pm
    Pete Graves
    @PeteGravesSky
    So that’s that. “No way back” according to Rafa’s camp. As reported elsewhere today’s statement was a surprise to him. The Spaniards priority was still to remain at #nufc. China move now looking likely. Again, a tremendous job done by
    @rafabenitezweb
    at SJP. Sad end.

Then added
    Club say they wanted to meet for talks but it was Rafa’s camp that refused… Rafa’s side say he WAS open for talks. Incredible situation again at #nufc.

• lochinvar

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:19 PM

JohnReese
    Buy her the car
    Sorted

• Sliema

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:20 PM

I love the man. And I hope we get him back one day. But if somebody had offered me takeover but no Rafa, I’d have taken their arm off.

Takeover is only hope.

• dig-n-dig22

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:21 PM

Chancel 15

I don’t believe any of that transfer crap, It’s a trick to try con fans into buying ST,s

• droppy in Wallsend

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:24 PM

JohnReese

Tell me about it my first wife was an absolute psychopath!

This one is lovely but she’s also a teacher so I know when I’m in bother.

You’re buying a car.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:24 PM

Why should anybody giving information that was proved false be given the benefit of the doubt and be thanked for their attempts to pass on information? In the age of Twitter and Instagram there is a lot of false information out there and a lot of people get their kicks from winding people up, though God knows why. There’s a whole industry now that passes on false information. Some of it from the likes of Alt Right groups like Infowars and Drudgereport likely got Trump elected since his margin was so slim.

Why should some random poster on here with specific information that proved to be false be given the benefit of the doubt? Mund has made a specific statement about a meeting tomorrow. We will see how that checks out.

• lochinvar

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:25 PM

Will be interested to read in the morning what the night shift make of all this