web analytics

Did Mike Ashley Try To One Up Rafa Benitez?

It appears as though, in the classiest of fashions that only Mike Ashley can produce, Rafa Benitez was not aware of the announcement given by Newcastle United this morning of the end of his tenure.

Here are some tweets doing the rounds on Twitter at the moment:

If Mike Ashley got upset at Rafa and sent out the announcement when Rafa Benitez was still expecting further negotiations, then the situation at Newcastle is even worse than we thought. And we didn’t think that was possible.

In an interview earlier this morning, Luke Edwards of the Telegraph reported that Rafa Benitez was refusing to come in and Mike Ashley was resigned to the fact that Benitez would leave.

However, it may be that Mike Ashley was frustrated with Rafa’s negotiating tactics and thus, out of spite hastily released the statement this morning.

If that is actually the case and Rafa Benitez has been prematurely let go by Mike Ashley while there was still hope of him staying; then Mike Ashley is a bigger wretch than we thought he was. And we didn’t think that was possible.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:57 PM

@274: all Shearer had to add to that is Hiya KBA and he could be the Frog.

• Tsunki

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:57 PM

Yes Rob. Of course it’s everyone’s right to do as they please. Regardless of the greater effect it’s their right.

• Tsunki

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:58 PM

Well all that’s left now is seven more sleeps to Sheikhmas. Told you it would be rocky folks. Still a week of this to go. 🙁

• jane

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:59 PM

“Like you are paying someone to beat the soles of your feet with a baseball bat.”

not true Tsunki it’s still good to watch football even if the outcome isn’t always what you want.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:00 AM

Ronaldo

Read it for about 3 years but only been posting a couple of weeks.

Never really thought I had much to say, I’m sure some would agree that I don’t.

I really enjoy the mad mix of people on here.

• Lindisfarne

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:03 AM

How many signed up to #ifrafagoeswego ???

How many of the 20.5k Followers are presently season ticket holders and willing to follow through?

• one fine day

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:04 AM

I think the biggest problem in the past has been coordinating these protests and all the infighting within different groups all wanting to be front and center.
    Its been said there is not even one definitive group on social media that can get a message across to all fans ,especially the match going ones.Most sadly still use the clubs official site to hear whats going on.
    This is where i can someone like shearer can play a massive part .
    Imagine if the magpie group could drop the ego and have Alan front and center .
    If things haven’t improved and he was all over the media telling fans to stay away for the arsenal game imagine the message that would send around the world .

• RobLeenio

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:06 AM

Tsunki, it’s not hyperbole, it’s the truth. Not saying you have handed out abuse, you haven’t, you don’t tend to be that extreme, but other posters, jimiley for eg, have done. You have certainly let it be known which side of the debate you stand, however, and what you think of those on the other side. Your post at 272 is quite plain on that, for eg.

• one fine day

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:07 AM

Tony Baloney

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:57 PM

If Alan ever comes out with “its never ashleys fault” then we have our frog .

• RobLeenio

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:09 AM

carltoon, I can feel the angst in your decision. Especially as it’s plainly been a heartfelt gift from your family. I know you’ll make the decision which is right for you. If not, come on here for a natter.
    😉

Droppy, I think you have a great deal to say and I enjoy reading it. Keep it coming matey.

• Lindisfarne

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:09 AM

8 months of this particular bid indicates it will be more than another week to complete……….with still an outside chance of failure.

• captainmarvel

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:12 AM

Rob, I am not sure how old you are but NUFC under previous owners was run on very, very, similar lines as it is today, players who came good were sold and a whole load of trash bought Luckily we had some exceptional local talent that came through like Gazza, Waddle el al but they too went out the door for big bucks that soon disappeared. Everything changed when SJH took it over but the dream died when it was sold to the oaf we have now, sure the era is different but the shackles still remain, basically its just the same..

• captainmarvel

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:18 AM

I used to believe that standing outside the ground to protest was the thing to do but now realise that although it would cost to go inside the ground (that’s if the match was televised of course), the benefits of protesting live on tv is the way to go..

• droppy in Wallsend

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:24 AM

Robleenio

Thank you mate.

I will do, think I’ve managed not to offend too many people so far. Lol

I speak as I find and even when I don’t agree with someone I respect their point of view. I’ve packed a lot into my 43 years so I’m a big picture kind of person.

Hoping against all the evidence that today is part of something bigger.

• captainmarvel

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:45 AM

Has Ashley made a mistake here? Has he jumped the gun? As Rafa has not resigned does that mean he has been sacked? Therefore will he be entitled to compensation? (Just a thought).

• lesh

Jun 25, 2019 at 1:06 AM

Ashley really has fckued up this time.

He’s pushed Rafa out, shown himself to be narrow minded and impetuous and more importantly (the penny’s just dropped), overlooked the pre-season trip to China. Mikey boy might as well kiss goodbye,to any far eastern business opportunities he had in mind.

• c-dog

Jun 25, 2019 at 6:57 AM

Eddie Howe optimists

When has Ashley ever paid compensation for a manager?

You keep banging the drum about Ashley doing things he’s never before done. We have followed a strict model for 12 years.

• JohnJ

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:02 AM

I mentioned a couple of days ago that I thought it was a game of poker for Ashley and for him it was a case of who blinked first.

In my mind there was no doubt at all about who that would be as I was 100% sure it would not be Rafa! Well Ashley blinked first by arranging the post, maybe he even dictated it!

Rafa has asked for certain things that Ashley was not prepared to meet and I believe Rafa was prepared let it run until Sunday 30th June. Ashley blinked first.

You would have thought to retain the services one of the best managers in the EPL & the world Ashley would have tried a line of reasonable negotiation……(there’s been enough time) But no not Ashley! I think Rafa would have been prepared to wait on certain aspects of his requirements such the training ground stuff but no not Ashley!

You’ve lost out big time this time Ashley!!!

• Youcancallmealan

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:11 PM

New owners will be announced soon Mikel Arteta next manager Joelinton and Allan saint Maximin to be signed HWTL thanks Rafa, and no more talk of the previous owner forgot his name already

1 6 7 8