web analytics

Long-Term Striker Target Buzzing To Remain At Club

Chelsea’s young striker Tammy Abraham has given an interview detailed in the Guardian about his plans for this upcoming season. The London born 21-year old has been linked with Newcastle for the past few summers.

Abraham will probably start in the final game of a disappointing U21 European Championship for England who has lost their opening two matches.

After that match, Abraham will get a few weeks rest before he goes back to Chelsea for pre-season training. Due to unusual circumstances for Chelsea, this summer presents an opportunity that Tammy is relishing.

Tammy Abraham had this to say about his upcoming return to Chelsea:

“Of course the transfer ban is probably not what the club wanted but for us it is exciting, I am excited and I am sure the rest of the player are.

“There is a great chance for us young players so we must get our heads down in training and go for it at Chelsea. I have already been talking to the club about pre-season. I’m going to have a couple of weeks and then come back hitting the ground running. There is no better time for a young player to be at Chelsea. I am going to give it my all. With a new manager coming in there is no better time to show what I am made of in pre-season. I am just buzzing at the thought of the new season.”

“Chelsea has always had a great academy. They have lacked playing them and taking them to the next level. You see the likes of Ruben Loftus Cheek who on the borderline have done that. We have excellent players still there and coming through who are still Chelsea players so fingers crossed if it all goes well it changes the mind-set.”

Abraham is coming off a monster season on loan at Aston Villa scoring 26 goals for the Villains. He was thought to be in high demand by clubs in need of strikers like Villa, who recently signed striker Wesley Moraes from Club Brugge for €22.5M; and Newcastle, who have brought back Shola Ameobi as Loan Coordinator.

However with the uncertainty right now at Stamford Bridge, Tammy will be given every chance to show if he has what it takes to compete at the highest level.

Chelsea are currently under a transfer ban and also will have a new manager arrive to replace Maurizio Sarri. The timing and situation are perfect for Abraham to test his skills at his home club this summer.

He is right to be buzzing as this is an opportunity for him to claim a first-team place at Chelsea.

With the way things are progressing at Newcastle, we may have highly rated youngster Elias Sorensen fighting for his first-team place next season.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:16 AM

First of the week

• chicousa

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:24 AM

The only reason I would entertain trying to get Tammy Tap-in is because Rafa seems to rate him. If it were up to me…..pass. 🙁

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:26 AM

If Mike Ashley is so intent on using a world class manager to simply keep us mid table long enough for him to sell at top possible dollar, you could hardly blame Rafa if he is indeed asking for more for himself and I would also suppose his crew. The more you look at the deal he’s being offered, the more you have to think he really must have better options than to sign on again. Ashley will have to do more than blink for this to work out, unless a deal really is imminent, and that does increasingly seem a long shot.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:28 AM

Does score an awful lot of goals and can lead the line ala Rondon, also the right age and English. So, you can see why Rafa and the club might like him.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:30 AM

Nicky we don’t know what he’s been offered, you never know it might even be a good one, unlikely perhaps but we could be surprised.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:32 AM

Never thought for one minute that we’d be signing him, can’t say I’m disappointed!

• chicousa

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:36 AM

Nicky,
    Tammy scores quite a few goals I’ll give you that. But I don’t think he could do what Rondon does for us. Too light-weight…

• NY Mag

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:39 AM

Nicky,

I doubt Rafa is looking for more money for himself (don’t get me wrong if it was given to him I’m sure he wouldn’t refuse) but he has said multiple times that the personal terms of his contract is not the issue…..don’t listen to the journos, they’re troublemakers!!

• chicousa

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:41 AM

EGB
    Hope you enjoyed your quality TV time with the wife! 🙂

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:44 AM

Mmmm, I guess they could be taking it to the wire Bill. I guess a sale could be well advanced.

We live in hope……….. unfortunately punctuated by often hard to take periods of realization in my experience. 🙂

Logic dictates Ashley will find a way to keep Rafa on board, being so fundamental to our fortunes on the pitch and to a sale, but that’s of course little or no comfort at all when you consider his previous 12 pretty dreadful years of mismanagement.

Ah well, we’ll see.

• NY Mag

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:45 AM

Chico,

We’ll never find out….we may get rondon, we may get Tammy – but we’ll never get both 🙂

• chicousa

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:46 AM

Also most of Tammy’s goals have been in the Championship. His stats in the EPL while at Swansea- not that great. Course that team was poor and I’m sure he would do better at a better club….

• NY Mag

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:48 AM

Nicky,

Assuming no sale- what do you think Ashley will ‘bend’ on to try and keep Rafa?

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:48 AM

NY, it is entirely plausible I think that Rafa may want more, if Ashley is simply planning to kick the can down the road another year or long enough to secure the sale. One of a number of possibilities at play here, particularly if the China offer is legit. I as always keep an open mind, but for sure the journo’s could have this right.

• chicousa

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:48 AM

NY Mag
    True, if somehow Ashley fails to sell AND Rafa re-signs under MA we would never get both!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:51 AM

I think he needs to deliver up Rondon for a start NY. But if it’s only a year, I’m not sure what else he can do, other than that, and more dough. Rafa might say yes if Rondon is delivered and the 60 mill plus outgoings somehow guaranteed.

• Bobbybee

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:53 AM

Tammy’s a poacher. I don’t think he’s ever scored a goal over 12 yards out. All credit to him for being there when needed, right place right time, but you don’t get many chances to tap in, in the PL. As showed at Swansea.
    Defences are better in the PL so the chances he gets to score in the Championship simply don’t turn up often in the PL. He’s good at what he does, but he needs to add long range goals to his armoury before he’ll be a PL striker

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:53 AM

If Lampard gets the job at Chelsea I think he’ll give plenty of chances to the younger players, especially the English lads like Abraham and Loftus-Cheek. Remains to be seen if Tammy can score more than he did at Swansea if he’s surrounded by better players.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 24, 2019 at 12:54 AM

To be honest Rondon AND a player like Abraham is exactly what Rafa will want, so if we can’t get both I’d imagine Rafa would certainly be gone.

• NY Mag

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:06 AM

Nicky,

Fair comment….I would agree,after last season rondon is probably a cert (in terms of being a deal breaker)
    But what about all these rumors of infrastructure improvements?
    I have to be honest, I’ve never been to the academy or the training ground. So I can’t say whether they are sub standard or not (and I suspect many posters who say they are sub standard haven’t been to them either)….what is actually required to change and what exactly is Rafa asking for? (I’m asking. Because I don’t know)

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:10 AM

Yeah Chico, he is still filling out, but as an understudy and competition for Rondon, with a clear eye on the future, I think he does fit the bill and is of the type we’d be looking at. But yeah, I don’t think we’ll get him.

• Bobbybee

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:12 AM

Rafa, not signing might be a blessing in disguise. With interest in Almiron etc if Rafa stays it might persuade Ashley to not sell for another year and cash in.
    Let’s be frank, not many managers could keep this squad in the PL. It needs strengthening in a few places and we’re only a few injuries away from disaster.
    I think if he doesn’t sign now he’ll sign if the takeover goes ahead. He wants to be here – he’s made that abundantly clear – he just doesn’t like working for Ashley.
    I keep looking at that final press release from BZG and it convinces me a takeover is real.
    Could Ashley pull it? Course he could, that’s why I keep saying wait and see, but BZG would look pretty daft if they didn’t see it through now.
    I’ve got plenty of patience, I can happily sit back and wait. Do I think it’ll happen? Yes I do. Do I know it’ll happen? No I don’t – but neither does anybody else. BZG seem adamant. They’re the buyers. There’s nothing anybody can do to speed it up. Just because a day, or week passes by, it doesn’t mean its not happening. It just takes time. Be patient.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:14 AM

I think the problem NY is that improvements to the training ground etc become moot if it’s a one year deal, and also we know Ashley won’t dip into his own pocket, so whatever Rafa will be offered will come entirely from the clubs own revenue.

My understanding is the training facility is ok though, nothing flash, very basic relative to some clubs, but still serviceable.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:16 AM

Rafa asking for more money would not be a problem. He probably deserves a rise after 3 and 1/2 years of Ashley. That’s sort of not the point though. It has just come up now after 18 months of contract talk. Makes you think the Journos are making it up as some sort of narrative that his head has been turned by Chinese money.

I had never heard the story of Rafa being dissatisfied with his paycheque before this weekend. Anybody else see that anywhere? Before “reliable journalist number 2” Luke Edwards said it?

• Bobbybee

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:19 AM

Nicky, that might be another reason for Ashley to sell up. He must know that sooner or later – probably sooner – he’s going to have to spend some money on the training ground etc. He doesn’t like spending money. He wanted 350 million. According to BZG they’ve agreed terms. He’s getting what he’s asking for. He won’t get that if we go down and we’ll likely go down under his ownership. He might as well take the money and run.

• Bobbybee

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:23 AM

Tony, they know less than we do mate. They’re guessing, like us.
    Anyway, only popped in on my way to bed so I’m away now. Be patient.

https://youtu.be/OAhjgrQwGzY Enjoy. G’night.

• chicousa

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:24 AM

Tony,
    The most laughably absurd thing I have heard come out in the press is this silly notion that Rafa wants more money! It is just plain stupid for any journalist to go down that path in making up a story! Rafa absolutely reeks of class and humility! Greedy? Fcuk no! (Excuse my filthy language!) 😉

• chicousa

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:26 AM

G’night Bobby! Enjoyed your posts!

• NY Mag

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:26 AM

Nicky,

I agree with you there…..there’s no way Ashley will dip into his own pocket for anything (he’s only ever done it when there is no choice)
    It’s why I will always cling to the dream that he is selling (however remote)….because for me,that’s better than the mundane reality.

I still have some time to dream….another week maybe (but it’s worth it 🙂 )

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:27 AM

Yeah, it’s all speculation, but for sure this can go all sorts of different ways now, and the longer it goes without Rafa signing, the less optimistic we surely realistically should be.

• NY Mag

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:29 AM

BTW, goodnight Bobby – always enjoy reading your posts !!

• NY Mag

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:31 AM

Nicky,

Really?? I’m actually more optimistic with Rafas silence…….

• chicousa

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:33 AM

NY Mag @20
    On the substandard training facilities: I have never seen them first hand either. But I recall when Debuchy first was sold to Arsenal the thing he went on and on about was the huge difference in the training grounds, facilities and equipment between them and NUFC. So I’m assuming they are definitely not state of the art!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:35 AM

I don’t think greed would be the motivation if he were to ask for more Chico. But if Ashley is only offering business as usual and a one year deal, then where really is the incentive for him to sign.

Wouldn’t more money actually be fair compensation, in that case?

• Tony Baloney

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:36 AM

I wouldn’t care if rafa wants more money it is the fact that it suddenly came up now after 18 months of negotiation when Edwards wants to fit it into his Rafa to China narrative.

I have just become so cynical of anything the press says and anybody protecting them by saying they are “reliable” and not self serving. Edwards wrote 2 stories this weekend and was all over the place. Then Little Chrissie Waugh picked it up and ran with it.

• chicousa

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:37 AM

NY Mag @32
    Bingo! Captain AmeriToon will be proud of you for your optimism! 😛

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:40 AM

You’ll need to explain why NY, with everything that is going on. You think the silence points to Rafa getting a deal he’s happy with? I think the only deal Rafa will be happy with is one that delivers Rondon and the belief that his project can be fulfilled at Newcastle under Ashley or under new owners, and that surely gets thinner with each passing day. Not out of the question, but thinner.

• chicousa

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:41 AM

Nicky
    Rafa’s ambition clock is ticking. He is closing in on 60. He wants to win and compete for trophies and titles. Money is nice but Rafa will not, IMHO, trade money for any more of his precious remaining quality years!

• Tony Baloney

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:42 AM

Does anybody really believe the deciding factor in Rafa working for Ashley for another 3 years would be that his salary is increased from 6 to 8 million? Sure it would be nice, but I doubt that’s the sticking point.

• NY Mag

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:43 AM

Chico,

You may very well be right, I’m only going from my personal perspective (which s basically nothing).
    All I’m saying is that on this blog how many people have gave opinions on the “state” of the facilities, and how many people have actual knowledge of such facilities.
    As I’ve said, I have no idea – so I can’t comment.