web analytics

Are Newcastle Still Chasing Bundesliga Striker?

A report in the Mirror claims that Newcastle are still chasing Brazilian striker Joelinton. We have been linked with the Hoffenheim player throughout this year.

A report in March claimed Newcastle were having second thoughts on the striker. It was not however due to his price tag, which at that time was said to be £40M.

The report at the time indicated that Newcastle’s scouts thought Joelinton may not be much of an upgrade.

The Mirror’s latest report may add some insight to that March report as they now claim that Rafa Benitez did not rate Joelinton.

They also claim that Benitez was not keen on Allen Saint-Maximin either.

It is interesting how both of these players have renewed links to Newcastle just as Benitez has left the club.

This is what the Mirror has reported:

Despite being without a boss, Newcastle chiefs will now push on with signing players they have lined-up with their scouting team, and Benitez was not keen on.

Hoffenheim’s Brazilian striker Joelinton is a £30m-plus target. Nice winger Allan Saint-Maximin has also been looked at, and would cost £25m.

We wouldn’t put it past Ashley and Co. to start the transfer process while looking for a manager. As a manager is only a peripheral aspect to his grand plan.

That is the Ashley model and he had willing participants in past managers like Alan Pardew and Steve McClaren.

Rafa Benitez was unwilling to acquiesce to this insanity and that is why he is no longer the manager of Newcastle United.

• Novocastrian66

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:08 AM

Bovine faeces.

• Nostradamus " Mike Ashley The Clown "

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:08 AM

On this buyout thing, Real Madrid are a sports social club with 80000 members.

Newcastle social club or the N.S.C does have a ring to it, on the Ronaldo fund I think we got to about 2 grand.

• carltoon

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:13 AM

Nostradamus I could use Ski. Spend the kids inheritance. To help buy the club I’m sure they wouldn’t mind.

• Neil Harrison

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:14 AM

Nostradamus,

Could also double as the Night Shift Club.

• magscar

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:15 AM

Nostradamus

After further reflection, your suggestion can only cause conflict on here as if successful it means giving our money to Ashley

Anyways night all

• NY Mag

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:16 AM

Neil,

Nice one 😀

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:17 AM

If we really are chasing £40m priced targets then the takeover must be on, no way that Ashlie would be involved in that sort of outlay.

• NY Mag

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:17 AM

Carltoon,

Ski – that made me chuckle 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:18 AM

IrishRob

#9 EGB….. you trying to say you’re Sheikhs mate Gollum guy?

Sorry don’t get what you trying to say!?

• NY Mag

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:19 AM

Goodnight Magscar….

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:19 AM

Oh and G’d evening night shift workers!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:20 AM

You don’t suppose there’s still a chance of a u turn on this, a la Lee Bowyer at Charlton.

“Rondón had an impressive year on loan at Newcastle United last season, scoring 11 goals, and Rafael Benítez was determined to sign him again on a permanent deal. However Manuel Pellegrini is an admirer of the Venezuelan after working with him at Málaga and he hopes to use the news that Benítez is set to leave Newcastle to his advantage.” ……in today’s Guardian.

He hasn’t actually left yet has he.

OMG!!!! I’m still in the denial phase.

• NY Mag

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:21 AM

Bill,

£40m player does seem a little dubious based on previous spending patterns.

• carltoon

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:22 AM

Pleased it’s been a bit light hearted now. My blood pressure was up just reading the last two days. I’m just not getting into the arguments. I would go to the meeting on Monday if someone would take me and bring me home. I’m not allowed out on my own in the dark . Ha ha .

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:23 AM

I see that Miggy is still involved in the Copa America, just hope he continues to avoid injuries.

• Neil Harrison

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:24 AM

Nicky,

My dad and I were talking about that today. He thought it could happen but Pete Graves’ tweets put him off the idea. I still think it can happen. Rafa wants to coach this club. Though he did remove Newcastle from his Twitter profile.

Hope springs eternal and it’s the hope that kills.

• NY Mag

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:24 AM

Nicky,

I was wondering, there was a lot of announcements from the club on Friday re: the academy ‘shakeup’. Then Monday the bombshell that Rafa would be leaving – it occurred to me that maybe Rafa got upset about something that he was not privy to.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:25 AM

Carltoon,

Why, in case you frighten the locals? 🙂

• NY Mag

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:28 AM

Carltoon,

If it was the weekend I would have – I’ll be back in the UK Saturday morning until Sunday evening

• carltoon

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:29 AM

No Essex I’ve told you I’m very well preserved for my age. But getting the metro even for a night time match is a bit daunting.

• carltoon

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:31 AM

Ah N Y Mag that would have been great. I go want to do something to help get rid of Ashley. I will boycott the Arsenal game.

• ChicoUSA

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:34 AM

So far in this close season I haven’t given any thought at all to any of the players we have reportedly been linked with: none! And to even hear about a manager to replace Rafa just makes me sick to my stomach. The only hope I have is for a takeover, and that hope is under constant erosion due to the lack of visible progress and my hatred and mistrust of Ashley.

So what keeps me going? Good beer and wondering what kind of new car EG Bill picked up yesterday???

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:35 AM

Neil and NY, mmm, yeah, I think maybe Rafa hasn’t been entirely privy to quite a few things at Newcastle, the whole truth regarding the state of the takeover uppermost among them perhaps. Maybe Ashley will come clean and they can patch this up. Mmm, bit of a long bow though, but at least a crumb of comfort. Cooler heads may yet prevail I guess. They say truth is stranger than fiction, and where Mike Ashley is concerned you really couldn’t make it up. So there’s that.

Oh gosh, that’s thin. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:36 AM

Nicky

I think we are all in that crocodile infested stretch of water!

• NY Mag

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:36 AM

Chico,

I’d forgotten about that….please enlighten us on the car Bill?

• Tony Baloney

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:37 AM

There are 5 stages of grief according to the Kubler- Ross model:

Denial – The FCB isn’t up to his old tricks again is he? Surely a Head of Terms must mean something even though I didn’t know what that was until last Thursday?

Anger – WTF, Dennis Wise again.

Bargaining – Well, if Rafa can get 60 million from the Fatman, sells Shelvey and Gayle, that’s 100 million which will get us mid-table and be able to kick on next year with a similar budget.

Depression – you what, he fired Rafa on twitter?

Acceptance – Moyes, and 12 more years.

• carltoon

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:37 AM

NYmag the shake of the Academy was done while Rafa was here. Can you remember I was told Shola had the job months ago.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:38 AM

Carltoon

I wasn’t suggesting that you had a frightening visage, more a case of being a person not to mess with.

• RobLeenio

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:39 AM

Neil, that’s an interesting snippet re Rafa’s twitter profile. Looks like he may believe there’s no way back.

I’m an eternal optimist. We sell the club, the new owners re-sign Rafa and he makes Gareth Bale the first signing of the new era.

It’s coming!

😉

• carltoon

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:40 AM

Whether he agreed is another matter.

• Neil Harrison

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:40 AM

Nicky,

It ain’t over til it’s over. And we still have until the 30th.

• NY Mag

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:41 AM

carltoon,

Yes, I remember now – you posted about shola getting the loan coordinator job quite a while back, you are officially an ITK 🙂

• carltoon

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:42 AM

Bill I’m only 5.1″ and petite. And very lady like. Frightened of my own shadow.

• RobLeenio

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:42 AM

I imagine Essex Geordie Bill cruising round the South East countryside in a convertible MGB with his cravat streaming out behind him, playing Holst on the cassette player and stopping at his favourite country Inn for dinner and a tall glass of white wine spritzer. Of course, it’s a dog friendly place so his two Irish Wolf Hounds can come along.

Am I right?

😉

• carltoon

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:44 AM

I’m the only ITK to get anything right on this blog up till now.

• Neil Harrison

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:44 AM

Rob,

Yes the Twitter profile is not good. Though since it was so quick, he may have done it out of anger. Cooler heads may prevail as Nicky says.

But I agree with you. The pie in the sky outcome is BZG and Rafa. Can you imagine the scenes?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:45 AM

chcousa

It’s a Peugeot 308 automatic 5 door hatchback, two years old. Which is a real pleasure to drive as compared to my older Peugeot 208 semi automatic 5 door hatchback which was a real pig to drive and I’m glad to see the back of it.

Whoever conceived that car must be the equal of a John Carver in design car design/ football manager terms.

• NY Mag

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:45 AM

Rob,

I’m an eternal optimist also…I would rather have something to look forward to (even if it doesn’t pan out) than wallow in pity and despair.

I was 100% Rafa staying – that’s gone
    I’m 100% BZG taking over – that’s on

😀

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:47 AM

Right, ok then Neil, I’ll give it a bash then. I think I can manage to stay in denial till the 30th.

Pretty sure I can manage it even longer. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:48 AM

Carltoon

When I used to do Aikido the little ladies were the ones to watch out for on the Dojo, vicious so and so’s. No prisoners taken.