web analytics

Former England International And BBC Pundit Comments On Newcastle Player Exodus

Danny Mills has spoken to Football Insider in an exclusive interview on the situation with the squad at Newcastle United.

This is what Danny Mills had to say:

I think they will be able to keep them. They are not in a financial crisis where they need to sell. Mike Ashley is shrewd enough to look at it and run it as a business.

“Mike Ashley doesn’t need to sell and can keep his best players. It then depends on which managers come in and who he wants.

“You have a nucleus of a decent squad and it needs three or four quality signings this summer. There no-one who can’t be replaced.”

This is a different perspective from the news that broke yesterday that had the Newcastle squad looking for the nearest exit. Though that could still be the case, Mills is taking a more businesslike and reserved look on the situation.

However he does not seem to understand the motivations of our club’s abductor, erm I mean owner.

While it is true that Mike Ashley does not “need” to sell. That is not the problem. Necessity was never a problem for the Billionaire. The problem will be him “wanting” to cash in. Which Mike (C)Ashley has shown time and again to be his inclination.

It’s his stated business model to cash in. If the price is right, the player will be sold without any thought to squad necessity or cohesion.

We also disagree with his assessment on the Newcastle squad. As already Sean Longstaff to Manchester United, Martin Dubravka to Juventus, Ayoze Perez to Valencia, and Miguel Almiron to Real Madrid have been doing the rounds this summer.

This is what is so truly infuriating about this week’s development with Rafa Benitez. The squad was so close with all roads heading towards Nirvana for the fans.

It just needed a few key additions and Rafa could have worked his magic to turn this club into a team challenging for Europe.

But Mike Ashley has blown that glorious path to bits. And we are again left with another season to ponder what might have been.

• Tsunki

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:23 PM

Oblivious to the entire fan base of Newcastle. Not a clue.

• c-dog

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:23 PM

Rondon gone
    Rafa gone
    Longstaff going
    Takeover off

• jonnyshaw85

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:25 PM

Hi all, not posted for a while (not that I post often anyway). My thoughts on Rafa’s silence and not even a ‘thanks’ to fans I think is simply that he will wait until his contract is up and he officially leaves.

• Muz

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:26 PM

“I don’t think there is a brilliant player at Newcastle who lots of top clubs will want. There’s no-one in that squad who makes you say, ‘wow, he’s irreplaceable’. Who are the stars in that team?” Except Danny, my old mucker, for Longstaff and Almiron who are being eyed by ManU and Real Madrid respectively. Pundits, thick as two short planks most of them.

Also, the fact these two aren’t on a plane already gives me hope the sale of the club will move forward.

• Nostradamus " Mike Ashley The Clown "

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:26 PM

Mike Ashley is like a bedbug sucks them dry and then leaves the bed.
    He is such a fcuking shite of a cowardly man, it’s my ball and I’m taking it home, IDIOT!!!!!!

• Captain AmeriMag

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:29 PM

How about this?
    Deal is agreed and in the process of being finalised with future SD advertising as part of the deal.
    For some inexplicable reason (too many beers, toddler tantrum, time of the month) the slug prematurely releases his Rafa is gone statement.
    BZG see the public out cry, realise he’s backed into a corner now and THEY start changing the goal posts a bit by saying £350m clean break, take it or leave it??
    “In a different manner” indeed Mr Kidwai, Captain AmeriMag approves

• RobLeenio

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:30 PM

To be fair, you’d expect nothing but hollow words from Danny Mills, who must have been just as surprised to be asked about Newcastle United as we are to read his comments on our club.

Why the Hell are ‘Football Insider’ asking a washed-up average ex-Leeds player for relevant comment on our situation? The fault is, once more, on the crappy journalists.

• G

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:31 PM

With regards to comments on the last thread, about players being called back in early, will this not just be a players meeting to discuss what is happening with the managerial vacancy? I certainly don’t think it would be related to any potential takeover deal, unless the two are intrinsically linked somehow?

• Ron Knee

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:36 PM

Short meeting:

Players to Charnley: “What’s happening?”
    Charnley: “No comment.”

• Online Guy

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:36 PM

Just been talking to an official at the FA Premier League last 20 mins.

I asked if there was any rules as regards for fit and proper persons test for an Owner that has become mentally unstable…they are looking into it .

I also told them of club monies and Sky payments in millions possibly being channelled to the owners retail businesses .

Not competing in Cup tournaments
    Lack of care for Supporters and the North East region
    Apparent Vindictivness
    And the real possibility of getting his Kicks by torturing and mocking the Supporters year on year.

They will Email me back with their thoughts on the matter .

Here’s email addy if you would like to back me up . info@premierleague.com

Bristol 12:45.

• Paul141726

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:38 PM

I think Neil has hit the nail on the head, so to speak. AshLIE will cash in on ANY player he sees fit to make a profit on. We all know that is his modus operandi.

• Diddly

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:38 PM

Ex player pundits are all swimming in a pool trying to survive. There’s more and more of them. The more contraversial they are the more relevant they hope to be. get paid for F A as far as I can see.

• Geordie-john

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:39 PM

I wonder how many of our players really want to leave now knowing how the Fat Lad has handled Rafa’s situation as well as the lies he is telling now. Would you wanna work for this pondlife ? I’d rather be on the dole.

• Dragon64

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:40 PM

It’s the waiting that’s worse. Interesting some of the comments let’s hope one is right and fat twat goes. The next few days will define the future of nufc here’s hoping ?

• Rotonda heights

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:41 PM

Wouldn’t it be absolutely wonderful karma if Ash had to lower the price due to Rafa leaving and then Rafa pitches up again under BZG owners. Life couldn’t be any better than that surely.

In a world where Huddersfield have an 80 M net spend and Brighton over 100 M and us barely over 20 M, you would think that the fit and proper owners criteria would be to allow your team to compete, if not exactly on a level playing field then at least in theory throwing your cap at it.

Ash, wise, kinnear, llambias, owen, keys, Rio, barnes, bishop, charnley, absolute knackers the lot of them.

• Jib

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:42 PM

G
    I think they are meeting whatever coaching staff remain at Benton
    Redfearn Winskill and Dawson will have to take training from a week
    tomorrow until the coaching picture becomes clearer

• brains

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:44 PM

I am popping this link on to ask what any financial supporters think:

This lists the share transactions in Sports Direct by itself yesterday (26 June). I do not know why there should be so many small purchases.

While this is a regulatory announcement and all share dealers can see it, my hope is that these represent a stock support scheme which is on the edge of legality.

I have to say that I am, like many others, fed up with MA’s activities and would like to see him having to sell NUFC.

My view on the current “bid” is that MA has asked for something more at the last minute of an agreed bid. A classic barrow boy bargaining tactic. The bidders’ only response is to walk out of the deal. For them it would be disrespectful to change agreed heads of terms. It would also be a massive loss of face if they could not come up with the requirements of their side of the deal. My money is on MA pushing too far and wrecking the deal.

I hope the wider financial community begin to look at Sports Direct and his financial base.

• #BoycottTheLeech

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:45 PM

Bambams

Just ruined the rest of my life, thanks mate.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Tubbs will want his shirt sales to remain if he sells up. Screwing Toons fans way into the future.

• oldarse

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:57 PM

This blog is becoming tedious stuff being regurgitated, think folk are turning off sick to death of listening to same tripe over and over again.

• aussiemag

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:57 PM

All will be revealed come June 30. Takeover will happen then and BZG will sign Rafa to a contract with them. That is why the Tubsy One has not set up a new contract as if he sold the club the contract would have to be honoured or paid out. A few fringe dwellers to leave or be sold then BZG will try and sign a new ST, RB,DM,RW,LW. I hope I’m right ?

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:58 PM

He can have the shirt sales – I wont be getting one. He can have advertising for the recognised amount – as long as I can put my Debenhams / Decathlon bag over it when on telly!

• Mindshaft

Jun 27, 2019 at 1:59 PM

@jib am sure that’ll go down well with players, oh by the way lads we’re the U21 team coaches but we’re gonna coach you lot as well as it’s cheaper for fatty

• Toonboi4EVA

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:01 PM

I’ve not caught up with the blog yet.

Just seen this and thought to share.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:03 PM

This is what outsiders like Danny Mills don’t understand. Mills says “Mike Ashley doesn’t need to sell and can keep his best players“ which would normally be true of most owners, but Ashley isn’t interested in having a competitive team on the pitch. If he can make a profit on Almiron, he will. If he can get twenty million or more for Longstaff, he will. And the same goes for the likes of Dubravka, Lascelles and a bunch of others.

Every single player has his price and Mike won’t care about the detrimental effect it’ll have on our performance as a team losing key players. If reality isn’t already setting in for a few people on here, it probably will when Rafa is officially gone on July 1st, and the magical date comes and goes with Mike still in charge.

• Captain AmeriMag

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:04 PM

aussiemag that’s the kind of heroic thinking that earns a Captain AmeriMag salute!!

• one fine day

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:06 PM

Mister tuff
    If it came down to that to get the deal over the line I would say ok fatty you can have the proceeds of the shirt sales for the next 5 years .
    Once the deal is done you casually leak go the world who gets money if you buy one .
    We then have the backing owner we want .
    Wearing the new shirt anywhere becomes the equivalent of wearing Sunderland shirt with “I love Peter Reid ” written on the back.
    The official nufc shirt becomes the lowest selling premier league shirt in history after one year and puma walk away job done .
    The rest of the real world chuckle at mike every time the sales are released .
    Meanwhile our creative fans groups design our own unofficial kit and its acknowledged as the most iconic shirt this century .
    Sponsors logo …SBR foundation .each shirt sale results in a donation .
    Win win and slug is humiliated 🙂

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:06 PM

oldarse – if you don’t like what Ed, Neil and the people in the comments are saying then you’re free to go to another website. I don’t think anyone will notice your absence.

• Toon Cat

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:06 PM

It’s looking like a busy next few weeks for the Ashley PR machine and it’s flying monkey minions. Not only will they be working overtime to promote misinformation about Rafa ‘quitting’ Newcastle because of his greed and stubbornness but pretty soon they’ll have to start trashing the BZ Group for being bad-faith, penniless ‘tyre-kickers’ who couldn’t match dear Mike’s very reasonable demands and ambition for the club. I hope Mike’s going to pay them a bonus for all the extra work but I suspect a SD voucher is the best they can hope for.

• Jib

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:10 PM

Mindshaft
    The first 2 weeks of training will be getting fitness levels up to
    pre summer break levels.The U23 coaches are all well capable
    of that.

• oldarse

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Chancel My MBembaship as you stated on another thread peeps have a right to post there feelings if you don’t like it just ignore.

• RobLeenio

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:12 PM

oldarse
    Jun 27, 2019 at 1:57 PM

So, feel free to contribute something unique, original and / or witty yourself. What a miserable grouch!

• oldarse

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:15 PM

RobLeenio its hard mate because like most on here I would be guessing giving peeps false hope I don’t do that mate

• aussiemag

Jun 27, 2019 at 2:36 PM

Cheers Captain…I just have a gut feeling as we all know MASH loves a good secret and is a massive drama queen!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:18 AM

Nice picture of Danny alongside the great Brazilian Ronaldo there. The full photo of course shows Ronaldo with the ball calmly under control, and Danny running hell for leather the wrong way. His punditry isn’t any better.