web analytics

Questions About Sheikh Khaled’s Takeover – Any Acquisition Now Appears Dubious

We have mentioned Kieran Maguire before on the blog – he’s a well-respected lecturer who specializes in football finance at Liverpool University.

And he is doubtful that Sheikh Khaled’s attempted takeover of Newcastle is as far along as they have reported in the two communiques his group have released about the acquisition.

Mike Ashley is notorious for “pretending” there is a takeover of the club happening, only to squash things when he thinks the time is right.

He seems from his previous actions that he doesn’t really want to sell the club.

Sheikh Khaled – deal not as far along as he’s said?

This is what Maguire said in the Chronicle earlier today about the BZG takeover:

“I’ve got quite a lot of caution in regard to the way it’s being conducted.”

“It’s a high profile club and a one city club and when anything happens at Companies House, for example, I will get Newcastle fans asking me ‘What does this mean?’.”

“I feel like the fans are almost willing it through but it has dragged on for six weeks.”

“Due Diligence should have been completed by now and if it was where it was supposed to be, we’d be nearing a conclusion now.”

It’s a lot longer than six weeks they have been involved in an attempted acquisition since Sheikh Khaled has said the proof of funds was sent to Ashley’s lawyers back on April 17th – that’s over 10 weeks ago.

It looks like it’s gone very slowly – probably because Ashley is dragging his feet.

If we are to believe BZG – they moved in for Newcastle as soon as we were mathematically safe in the Premier League.

However, none of the potential new owners said to be interested in buying the club have been granted exclusivity or begun meeting the Premier League’s directors’ and owners’ requirements.

The Chronicle reported this from PA Sport:

“Sheikh Khaled Bin Zayed Al Nahyan’s Bin Zayed Group declared their hand in May, but they are not the only prospective buyer to have entered negotiations.”

“However, none yet is understood to have been granted exclusivity or begun the process of meeting the Premier League’s owners requirements.”

“History suggests Ashley will wait only so long, as Amanda Staveley and Peter Kenyon can testify.”

Ashley has said he will wait about 2 weeks, but we expect at the end for him to say nobody has come up with the right price – os some other nonsense – so that he cannot sell Newcastle.

If that happens, Newcastle may be dead in the water.

And we’ll have to wait for the owner to appoint a manager who will effectively do what he says.

And that does not include doing well in the league or the cups – it means merely surviving in the Premier League – so the Sports Direct banners continue to be shown around the world on TV during every home game.

Rafa Benitez was not like that – which is one reason he was so loved by our fans.

He wanted to win things – things called trophies.

The break between the owner and the fans may now be irreparable.

We don’t want to go back to how things were under Steve McClaren and others – when we were always second-rate.

We have tasted what it’s like to be managed by a world-class manager like Rafa, and we want that to continue.

What do you think?

• RobLeenio

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:47 PM

Bill’s son, I’m not sure about you, honestly. You say you’re being reasonable, but you do seem to err on Ashley’s side on the vast majority of your posts. Why make excuses for the guy when he’s been ‘trying’ to sell the club for ten years? As many have said, the one constant factor in all these sale bids is the fat one himself.

Anyway, I was being half facetious with the sheikhover term. Use it as you wish, I have no control of you, but I’ll pull you on it every time you try to use it as a synonym for fakeover. One is a phrase for hope, the other for despair.

It has to be said, it’s a classic PR trick, to take the phrases and symbols used by the opposition and turn them against them. You’re not having this one.

• Captain AmeriMag

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:47 PM

The notion that a company that big and that respected would make false claims for publicity just seems silly to me, publicity showing them to be full of hot air surely doesn’t help them at all?

That’s just my opinion anyway and like you IrishRob I don’t know anything, I’m just choosing the narrative I would rather believe in this period of silence and until we get official confirmation it’s off I’ll try and enjoy it.

So if you’ll excuse me, the velvet rope is lifting on the VIP area of my Positivity Club and I’m off to enjoy a bottomless pint of Stella and some orgasm inducing peanuts

• toon22

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:50 PM

Don’t worry guys

Eventually parliament will shift the parasite
    Probably end up in prison via the HMRC

😉

• Toon Cat

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:51 PM

Confusingly, there seem to be two completely contradictory narratives.

In the first the BZG has shown proof of funds and were in the Owners and Directors Test process weeks ago. That is supported by two direct statements from the group.

In the other narrative, no proof of funds has been shown and the FA Owners tests haven’t even been started. That is not supported by anything official. It reflects only the ‘understanding’ of reporters and off-the-record whispers, possibly from the Ashley camp.

The first may mean a takeover is imminent.The second that it could take very much longer or not happen at all.

Nobody, outside of Ashley’s inner circle and the BZ Group, actually know what is happening and everyone else, press and fans, is trying to interpret events on the basis of these shreds of contradictory information.

To state any outcome as ‘certain’ is impossible. Whether you have hope or not probably depends more on your nature than anything concrete.

There is context, though. Knowledge of Ashley’s 12 years of lies, chaos, and failed ‘sale’ situations provides justification for the skeptical.

As others have said, the kind of manager Ashley installs over the next couple of weeks will probably tell us more about whether the sale is going to happen than anything else.

• Mund

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:51 PM

Each person can believe what they want but we shouldn’t be attacking others with their beliefs if it doesn’t match up with your own.

Some like to believe it a brighter future and believe the sale will go through and others say they see right through Ashley and it’s a fakeover but that’s each other’s opinions don’t we all want the same for the club?

• Captain AmeriMag

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:52 PM

Expertly put tooncat sums up the situation perfectly. Well done Sir

• Tony Baloney

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:53 PM

Amerimag: The President of the United States makes false claims and tells lies every day for publicity and personal gain.

• Rotonda heights

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:54 PM

Jib

Arthur daley was a loveable rogue, there is absolutely nothing loveable about Ashley whatsoever.

• Rotonda heights

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:54 PM

Mr baloney

Very true

• Tony Baloney

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:55 PM

I am sure Trumpy will be doing something with the troops next week on July 4 even though he avoided military service by claiming flat feet. His father even sent him to a military school FFS.

This is not politics this is about PR and lies.

• ToonRich

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:55 PM

Bill I backed up some of your comments/theories this morning and got slated! I agree with a fair few points you’ve made today!!

Rob, I think Sheeba is doing a great job with the media and updates 😉

• hibbit

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:57 PM

IrishRob

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:08 PM

I wish people would stop presuming things based on there being an application sent to the FA. There is ZERO evidence of any application received by the FA.

There’s ZERO evidence it HASN’T been received by the FA. either

that’s why there’s so much bickering on here because there’s no solid evidence one way or another,

• hibbit

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:00 PM

glass half full glass half empty !!!!!!!!

• Tony Baloney

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:01 PM

Hibbit: I actually think there is less bickering than normal. Most are stating their points and following up. Not the usual name calling and petulance.

• ToonRich

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:01 PM

As sad as it was to see Rafa leave, what are your opinions on him coming back if MA could patch things up with him???

IMO, that isnt fixing what we hate about the regime. Rafa gone allows the fans to vent about the ownership and possibly be heard. If Rafa came back it would go hush again for another short while.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:02 PM

Anyway, talking of name calling, where’s the frog? I haven’t been called a shill in a while.

• IrishRob

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:03 PM

The notion you think things must get going on because BZG wouldn’t lie to serve their own purposes(whatever those may be) seem silly to me.

I’ll say one last time I’m not here saying either side is right or wrong, I’m saying supposition on an assumption is wrong. I’m saying lets change the record and talk about things involving actual facts or proof. I’m just trying to bring facts and evidence into our discussions because assuming things has all our hearts broken as it is.

• Reilly

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:03 PM

Mark Douglas
    @MsiDouglas
    Seems #mufc reporters being heavily briefed from somewhere that a Sean Longstaff deal could be done for £25m.

• geordietom

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:08 PM

TOON22…

question for you if and when we get sold .are you willing or will you put on here the names of all the shills and or P/R people? . with your proof ?

• toon22

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:08 PM

Business as usual

There’s going to be fireworks next season
    We’re sick of the parasite

• geordietom

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:08 PM

Tony …

your a shill …

• Muz

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:09 PM

Let’s think about this logically and not try and get too bogged down in emotion, hard I know but worth it.

The story on the takeover broke by all accounts because a journalist with a contact at the FA made him aware of the takeover. The only reason that the FA would be informed was if there was intention to purchase the club. The FA don’t run these tests on just anyone who would ask if they can pass the fit and proper test, I would assume that in order to qualify to have the test started you have to a) be put in touch with the FA by the party selling the shares in a club and b) show you have the money at least to purchase and run a club. Also, logically, you would need to pass the fit and proper test before you’ve paid a penny for the shares since you can only be the owner of a club once you’ve passed the test.

This ties in with the statements that BZG have put out. They want to buy the club, they’ve shown funds and they’ve submitted paperwork to the FA. Their statements tie in, logically, with what the process should be. The FA have remained tight lipped on the situation and they have to remain quiet; they are party to a business transaction and are bound to keep it a secret until a time the two parties in the transaction come to terms.

I don’t know if anyone can find out when Ashley took his fit and proper test but the time between his offer for SJH’s shares and his acquisition was 2 days, which means the fat sod had to have done the test beforehand.

Statements from big mouth know-nothings like this guy need to be given as much berth as possible. They’re just getting clicks but using the credibility of a university lecturer to validate their shonky headline. Will BZG have exclusivity? No, because you’d only grant exclusivity to the buyers who will agree to your terms and get their ducks in a row with the FA.

I have absolutely no doubt that BZG want to buy a club, our club, and their offer is genuine. Fat lad will be blocking it or doing his best to ring every single penny out of the sale. I’m filled with more confidence that things will occur because, so far, we’ve shipped no one out the door for a profit despite very open overtures from Man Utd for Longstaff. 2 years ago, the lad would have been on his way down the M62 about now. He’s not shifting players because the current playing staff are part of any deal and an active deal is currently in play.

• IrishRob

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:09 PM

Hibbit think about what you just said there, seriously. There is zero evidence that I myself have put in a bid for nufc, looks like I’m gonna be buying our club soon.

Do you not get, that I’m not saying that nothing has been submitted to the FA, I’m saying people are coming up with new theories that must be true because ‘the papers have been received by the FA’ when there is no evidence anything has been recieved by the FA.

• Oldgit1

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:12 PM

@ Lesh a bit of a misbalance there, a manager on over 6m a year reporting to a MD on £330k a year. I suppose your theory would suggest if Rafa was to be reprimanded by a person lower in status (salary) wise is ok, however, in the real world the position must be two levels of seniority above. Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick.

• Muz

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:14 PM

Oldgit, salary and seniority do no go hand in hand. I earn more than my immediate boss and their boss. I’m a specialist that’s employed to do a very specific task. My boss and his boss are pen pushers with a business management degree that’s not worth the paper it’s printed on.

• geordietom

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:14 PM

we will be sold by monday . my mate Marvin told me … because he heard it though the grapevine….

• Jib

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:15 PM

Standard Sport
    ?
    @standardsport

Manchester United are confident they will get a clear run at Sean Longstaff and Bruno Fernandes as they target three more signings to follow Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s arrival.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:15 PM

I would have Rafa back in a heartbeat. I hated our football in the first half of the year but that was BA and now we are AA. Before Almiron and After Almiron.

Rafa was playing to ours strengths which was 5 good to decent centre halfs. His new system worked well for our personnel.

He also stumbled on a very good midfield pair and we were no longer reliant on Hollywood Shelvey (although I like Jonjo in the right circumstances).

And then Almiron freed up Perez.

Lastly, the switch of Ritchie to wingback. He should have been playing there his whole career in the PL and he even said so. He is not quick enough to be a winger in the PL, especially on the wrong foot.

Rafa was getting it right despite the transfer restrictions and he should have been allowed to see it through.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:26 PM

Muz: I will look for that Chronicle piece from last year where that idiot professor valued NUFC at 225 million. I don’t care if he has a good reputation or not. I don’t actually know. But when you are wrong you are wrong and it brings into question your credibility when you discuss the same subject next time. Plus, Mark Douglas has still not sacked Lee Ryder so he knows nothing.

• Geordie-john

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:31 PM

Let’s face it, This Fake over was Bollocks from the start and now that Fat Lad has pi##ed Rafa off enough for him to leave Fat Lad is now trying to make it look as if the Sheik is a Fake.
    This has GREEDY COCK-ney’s trademark written all over it. The only question is How many Geordies will just moan then forgive and forget until the next one comes around ?

• Tony Baloney

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:38 PM

Where would Lee go if he got sacked?

Sit down Mr. Ryder. I have gone over your CV and the samples of your work. Have you really been writing the same article every day for the last 20 years with only the names changing and transfer fees being inflated? And does your computer have a lock on it so it shuts down at 200 words?

Lee: Erm, erm…

Anyway, it is not all your fault. You learned at the knee of Gibbo who also wrote the same story for the previous 20 years except with a few personal phrases that he hoped would endear him to the Geordie public.

So, Mr Ryder. You have no contacts, no talent, write in clichés, pass on lies and fabricate stories and spend 90% of your time in the breakroom or on junkets to NUFC pre-season. Normally, that would be a drawback for most journalists but welcome to The Sun, here’s your ticket to China your room is booked at the Mandarin Oriental.

• Nostradamus " Mike Ashley The Clown "

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:39 PM

You really want to fcuk up Mike Ashely, first game take over the pitch, sit in make a real statement.
    The FA will penalize Newcastle yes, maybe that’s the way to go, if Mike wants the club to just about survive well let’s make it so we get docked points so we get relegated. Hurting him in the wallet.

Drastic measure I know but it’s our club and we can show him that we can decide which way it’s goes.

• DAVE..TOON..9

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:41 PM

Martinez new fav with Skybet 3/1….I can’t see that happening

• WLtoon

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:04 PM

A lot of posters are looking at Monday as D Day re big announcements. Ive read quite a bit of these threads and at the minute it seems to be 50/50 for and against the takeover happening. Im not ITK, even if i was i would keep whatever i knew to myself ,its not worth the shit you get if your info is proven wrong.
    Im hoping we are rid of the Fat leach soon, but the longer this fiasco goes on the less likely i think he will sell.
    I wish i had Amermag,s optimism

• neverbeento wembly

Jun 28, 2019 at 6:32 PM

Reporters should be on to Rafa first thing Mon morning, we know he doesn’t tell lies & he shouldn’t be bound by any pact of silence Give us the truth on fat slug

• neverbeento wembly

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:32 AM

The headlines in Sat middle East press is Newcastle Takeover is a hoax orchestrated by Ashley, they have traced e mails between them