web analytics

Will Independent Regulation Be Coming To English Football?

In an interesting coincidence with matters on Tyneside this week, Labour MP for the city of Chester Chris Matheson presented a bill for the independent regulation of football at the House of Commons.

This is a Tweet from the MP prior to presenting it:

First reading of the bill went forth as planned on Wednesday, June 26th, just two days after Newcastle made their infamous statement on Rafa Benitez’s departure.

Newcastle Central Labour MP Chi Onwurah was in attendance and is also a co-sponsor.  She famously met with Mike Ashley this past January

The motion by MP Matheson detailed the situations of clubs like Blackpool, Coventry, and Bolton whose fans have been grievously let down by their owners.

Gateshead FC got a mention with their recent turmoil but, unfortunately, there was no mention of Mike Ashley and Newcastle United.

He did speak of the inadequacy of the owners and directors test, which would only be relevant for past criminal history and could not prevent a club from being bought by someone with questionable intentions.

The aim of the bill is to have independent regulation of football clubs outside of the owners.

This is part of what MP Matheson said:

A regulatory body under the auspices of the FA, adequately funded and suitably staffed, with effective regulations and the power to enforce them, could restore faith in the running of the game.

While the actual bill is not available yet online, the motion can be read here.

Second reading has not yet been scheduled but we will keep an eye out for it.

• ToonRich

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:32 AM

@Bill Son is back,

Going back a couple of threads you mentioned BZG not being able to provide proof of funds. When speaking about the Sheikh’s wealth with a mate he interestingly said “yes they may have the funds, but all tied up in assets. They couldnt even complete a £20m transaction apparently due to not being able to get the funds in place”.

If the above is true then perhaps that’s where things are at in this deal?

• IrishRob

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:42 AM

I wouldn’t believe a word of that. Think about what you’re saying they are billionaires many many times over and they dont have 20m freed up cash to spend. That’s madness, how would they be able to run multi million/billion companies without freed up cash. How do they live, they like to spend on yaughts mansions cars.. holidays etc. BZG have plenty of money its Ashley, Ashley, Ashley, there is no other issue here only Ashley. If this new law or rule came in it might scare off Ashley, but that’s a long way aways.

• IrishRob

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:45 AM

Nice interview here, Johnny Giles is old enough and wise enough to see through the pr bullsh*t being released by Ashholes minions.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:47 AM

The price last year was 350M, Ashley paid 33M off his debt that Rafa could have done so much with. The price is still 350M not 317M.

• ToonRich

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:47 AM

Rob I didnt say it!! I totally disagreed with my mate!

The fans should reach out to Dubai and have MA extradited for slurring them. Just this year a UK woman was taken back to Dubai for a similar, so it can be done!

• hibbit

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:53 AM

ToonRich
    are you sure he’s a mate looks to me like he’s on the wind up !!!!

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:54 AM

Should be £33m less.

Even if these guys haven’t got ready cash they should be to get a loan easy. Maybe that’s the hold up.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:58 AM

Jail,

Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

My masked hasn’t slipped – let’s tell it one last time…

I WANT ASHLEY OUT ASAP – HE HAS NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER IN TAKING THIS CLUB FORWARD OTHER THAN SURVIVING IN THE PREM. PERIOD.

Is that enough or do you want me to stick that on my arSe and stand in Fenwick’s window for a day?

All of my comments are NOT defending MA – I’m simply expressing an opinion as I see it without my head being clouded by an unreserved hatred and refusal to see him as anything other than the villainous NUFC hating cnut that most fans do.

Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot and Idi Amin were pure evil, many on here would have us believe MA comes in the same category which just shows how stupid the level of vitriol has become. It also stops those thinking that way of being in any way rational without anything to do with Ashley.

Read my posts today again, they ARE NOT pro Ashley, I’m just giving an alternative opinion on how I see things and if you are anyone else rants and raves and calls me an Ashley defender, I couldn’t give a fcuk.

Because you are all wrong and I won’t stop telling it as I see it.

If my opinions turn out to be right, I won’t gloat. And if they turn out to be wrong I won’t apologise.

This is a BLOG not a court or the Nuremburg trials.

• Ron Knee

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:01 AM

NuremBERG.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:02 AM

Toonrich: if you didn’t believe your mate then why post it here? I suppose everybody is entitled to an opinion including your mate but there is just so much hearsay on here that somebody heard doon the pub or from their uncle via text that it washes out any real information. People, me included, get talking about BS stories that the posters swear were in good faith but we have no idea what their intentions are/were and no way of checking them out.

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:06 AM

Odd views on here like but they entitled to them I guess.

I do wonder though, how many posters still believe the whole ‘Ashley saved us from doing a Leeds’ or whatever when he took over.

• TomaKaThor

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:06 AM

Never understood the so called loan Mike Ashley gave to the club, seen as he owns the club, its the equivalent of me loaning myself money. So basically all it translates to is Mike Ashley taking 33 million out the club to oh i dont know go towards buying GAME?

• Tony Baloney

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:07 AM

This “finance expert” in The Chronicle says that Rafa leaving knocks 10% off the value of NUFC. He also states that valuing a football club is very difficult. He should know, because he said we were worth 225 million during the Stavely talks and that was assuming NO relegation.

And please can people stop saying that Ashley wants 350 PLUS his loan repaid. I have lost count of how many times I have seen this over the years. The purchase price INCLUDES paying off the loan.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:11 AM

that’s out of order,
    how dare you compare His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular & Uncrowned King of Scotland with the lowly cash hungry beast Ashley.

• ToonRich

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:14 AM

Hibbit…he’s a straight up toon fan; but is rather gullible when it comes to any type of info!!

Tony, what are we to believe? Seriously there is so much more details flying around on here and you pull me up on that! *rollseyes*!!
    I thought it was worth a mention as it tied in with what Bill was saying. & also if the “non proof of funds” for a Liverpool deal is true then just perhaps they dont have large enough pools of money to through at big deals?!

I’m still sailing with Cap AmeriMag, :p

• ToonRich

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:16 AM

*to throw at deals!

• Tony Baloney

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Tom: I have only commented on here for a few weeks but have read this blog for years. I would say that everybody on here goes off on tangents from time to time. Jib is 90% tangent and 10% NUFC but that is OK as he comes up with some interesting stuff. How he finds some of it I have no idea.

I am sure you will like Pompeii. As I have said before, the artifacts are in a museum and Pompeii is basically ruins. But if you have been to the forum in Rome or the Acropolis you will know what to expect.

• Jib

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Actually
    Nürnberg

smartass

• ToonRich

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:19 AM

Could be nothing, but is MA still there?

Saddar El-Karac
    @ElKarac

BZG Group due in USA later today – #nufc #nufctakeover

10:37 AM – 28 Jun 2019

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:20 AM

Haha, the Mag article gives the impression that Redfern has been busying himself cutting the grass at Benton with a push mower in preparation for the return of the lads for preseason next week.

I used to do the same for Heatley Warriors, (with a full esky of icy cold beery’s on the touch line) in the Townsville Premier Division, North Queensland, Australia. A fierce league comprising five, sometimes six rank amateur six sides. Good Lord!

• outside the box

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:23 AM

neil redfern to take charge …..lucky they got him in before rafa left???
    takeover not now going thru…timewasters etc etc….
    we will need time to choose new coach……not enough time to get players over the line…
    we will keep money for next transfer window….yeah yeah yeah….
    could be wrong though..

• Rotonda heights

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:24 AM

Hibbitt

Couldn’t agree more. Which self respecting coach wouldn’t have huge concerns about Ashley’s ambition, or total lack of. At the moment we have a handful of decent players who Rafa performed miracles with. In a drunken temper tantrum Ash has killed the golden goose and already wiped what……20-30 M off the value of the club.

Jail

Imagine what Rafa could have done with the 150 M the fat man blew on Debenhams.

Robleenio

SJP has never exactly been a happy hunting ground has it, unless you go way back and I mean way back. Valencia has the magnificent Mestalla, but with David Lin taking them over they are building an even bigger stadium on a dried out riverbed on the outskirts of the city. It’s happened with the Emirates, spurs etc. Could you imagine the fat mans face if after a sale was concluded with agreed advertising concessions exclusively @ SJP and then after 2 years we move to a 75000 seater stadium. We don’t even really own the real estate at SJP!

• geordietom

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:25 AM

TONY …

cheers for the info mate …

but thanks again mate …

going shopping with the boss catch up later . hope theres some good news when i get back …

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Where are people getting 60 million plus player sales ?

We all know by now Newcastle under Ashley doesn’t work like that there is no budget each transfer is assessed on it’s on merit by some stupid metrics that they have just made up.

This was one of the frustrations for Rafa is that he wanted a budget so he could approach players to join but Ashley would never want to commit to money as you never know when he might need to dip into it or decide that our season is fine and just withhold money….

Would not surprise me one bit when the new manager comes in that we don’t go crazy and buy like Joellinton and someone else for like 50 million because of perceived resale value

• Jib

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Saddar El-Karac
    ?

@ElKarac
    18h
    18 hours ago

News from inside BZG has confirmed that talks are progressing well with Newcastle United – Announcement expected within 48 hours

• Tony Baloney

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:27 AM

ToonRicH; you said yourself you didn’t believe your friend. It wasn’t a new or earthshattering theory anyway and if this falls through it will be one of many excuses that people come up with. There’s been so many theories on here and none have come to pass so far. Some even had deadlines that have already passed. I suppose I have become hyper-sensitive to the latest ITK gossip. But this is a blog so what do I expect? Maybe I should lighten up on this subject…

• ToonRich

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:29 AM

Saddar El-Karac
    ?
    @ElKarac

Big news expected within 24 hours #staytuned #nufc #nufctakeover

10:30 AM – 28 Jun 2019

• ToonRich

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:31 AM

@Jib, just noticed a comment, these tweets were his first and has no followers :/

• Sheikh-en but not stirred

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:33 AM

@toonrich

He is talking rubbish… Joined Twitter in June and has 20 followers haha

He is taking the pi$$ out of us

• hibbit

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:35 AM

Re Saddar El-Karac

so is this the guy that set last nights rumor away ??????????????????

• RobLeenio

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:38 AM

hibbit, surely you can tell us? It was your rumour, after all….

😀

• Jib

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:39 AM

Khaleej Times
    Dubai Newspaper
    Has no Sadaar El Karac working for them

• hibbit

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:41 AM

RobLeenio @32 LOL

just asked the guy who text me if he’s got anymore info but so far no answer !!!!!

• Jib

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:41 AM

Robert Plant had a son called Karac
    He died aged five
    The song “All my love” was written about him

Someone thinks NUFC is going to go down
    like a Lead Balloon

• RobLeenio

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:44 AM

Cheers hibbit.

Jib if this guy’s right I’ll be giving him a whole lot of love

• Tony Baloney

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:47 AM

I looked at Neil Redfearns Wikipedia page. He was a journeyman player and was at 20 different clubs making 851 appearances. He seems to like coaching young players and only reluctantly accepted the Managers job at Leeds. Was sacked by the notoriously loony Chairman so I really wouldn’t hold that against him and he had in his contract that he would return to the academy if it didn’t work out. It seems that he didn’t have much ambition to be a top flight Manager but after Leeds he went to Rochdale where he only lasted a few months.

I was a bit worried that Fatty would have Redfearn coach pre-season and carry on to China. Then, if there was no one else he would appoint Redfearn for the season. Looking at Redfearn’s history I don’t think he would be angling for the job. Doesn’t mean our idiot Owner and Dennis Wise wouldn’t give him it after “an extensive search”.

• Tongue in Sheikh

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:47 AM

I’ve never heard Sadder Craic in my life

• WarrenBartonCentreParting

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:48 AM

El Karac?.. sounds like someone taking the piss..

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:48 AM

@jib

Newcastle could do with a “whole lotta love” that’s for sure!!!