web analytics

CBS Sports Writer Tweets About Newcastle Player Exploring Options

Roger Gonzalez is a sports writer who covers the U.S. Men’s National Team, U.S. Women’s National team, and the MLS for CBS Sports.

He tweeted the following earlier today about Newcastle United and U.S. Men’s National team right back DeAndre Yedlin:

Gonzalez is pretty close to the U.S. National Team so he may very well have heard something. We have not, however, been able to find any links with Yedlin to clubs in Europe.

DeAndre Yedlin was brought to Newcastle by Rafa Benitez in the summer of 2016. Even though he was dropped in favor of Javier Manquillo to close this past season, he has been Newcastle’s right back of choice under Benitez over the past three years.

The Newcastle squad to a man (well maybe minus Jack Colback) will likely be reeling with the news of Rafa Benitez’s departure this week.

This decision by Ashley could have a ripple effect throughout the squad. While the loss of Yedlin would not be as devastating as losing Sean Longstaff or even Ayoze Perez, he is still a very good squad player and a popular teammate.

The news of Rafa Benitez’s departure has reverberated around the world as he is an icon and had become the face of Newcastle United.

He was the reason Newcastle were on the television so often outside of Britain. He was a draw because he was a class manager and fun to watch on the sidelines.

Especially after a win when he would remove his glasses and turn to shake everyone’s hand.

One more time for old time’s sake. Even if it hurts.

• toon22

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:23 AM

😉

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:26 AM

Women’s football probably isn’t for the greater majority on here, pretty safe to say, but it could easily be for all the females in our lives. It’s a wonderfully inclusive sport. Very supportive of the continued growth and development of Women’s football at all levels, and very keen to see Newcastle United give greater support to their ladies side, and really bring on the best girls in the region through the Academy.

Howay the Lasses!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:30 AM

That of course won’t happen under Mike Ashley, who treats us like it’s the SD Corporate team, and even then as an after thought.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:30 AM

Toon22 I take you comparing me to NY Mag as a compliment but I am probably a bit more argumentative than him.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:32 AM

I watched most of the USA/France game. They all seem to have a shoot on sight policy. I think it is by design as the goalies are the weakest link.

• ChicoUSA

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:48 AM

Jib on previous article @56 you said:

“Argentina 2 – 0
    Big Ron at Benton next Thursday methinks”

Did we sign Rondon and I missed it ? Why would he be at Benton next Thursday?

• NY Mag

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:50 AM

Tony,

I can assure you it wasn’t meant as one 😀

• ChicoUSA

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:58 AM

NY
    Oh you know you are one of toon22 favorites! It was a complement! 😛

• NY Mag

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:00 AM

Chico,

Oh, I know – just teasing 🙂

• one fine day

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:02 AM

roblenio from previous
    One fine day, they are the ones invited to the fans’ forum, not that they happen very regularly.

Not sure that the forums are scripted, however. I think the group has been ‘diplomatic’ previously. You don’t get to be able to influence that unless you are a member, however.

Yeah just a bid hard to want to be involved with anything “officially” connected to nufc at the moment .
    cant help feeling that they will tow the company line in the same way as the local press .
    always recall seeing the ‘”minutes” of those get together and it was comical the questions and answers.
    True Geordie would be my pick to get a protest national.says it like it is and has a massive following from all supporters (well maybe not manchester 🙂 )
    If we want this boycott to work its guys like him that would get it going .

• lesh

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:13 AM

NY Mag

@38

G’day sir and I trust your flight was a pleasant one.

Memory may be playing tricks on me but I’m not sure about your suggestion that Ashley’s first loan was made because ‘the club had a loan (which I’m sure he knew about) that had a clause (which he may not have known about) which required the full amount to be paid up in the event of the club changing hands’

Wasn’t it Ashley’s reason for clearing the bank loan that doing so would save a lot of money in interest. He said he’d provided his loan interest free but would take free advertising for SD in lieu of interest?

The bank loan must’ve been a very high interest one judging by free SD advertising it’s had over the years

• NY Mag

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:19 AM

Lesh,

The first flight was fine…it’s the next one which is a bit longer 🙁

As I said I could be wrong…..it’s all documented in the accounts, I just haven’t gone back and read it.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:39 AM

We’ll have some players who’ll want to leave, and those players should be allowed to go, along with those any new manager doesn’t want if we can fix them up. There won’t be a shortage of capable EPL talent who’d be willing to join us either. But we’ll be back to trying to find another Sissoko, Widjnaldum, Cabaye, etc, which is great in theory, but for every quality player we unearth at a bargain price, we’ll sign one modest one and one dud, essentially leaving us with 8 quality players, 8 modest but functional pros, and 8 duds we can’t unload and certainly not two capable players in each position. That’s the Ashley model in practice, simply put.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:49 AM

I’m feeling a genuine anger rising within me, so I’m clocking off to go and distract myself with something more productive.

Boycott, march, petition, demonstrate, write to the City and to the papers. If you can’t bring yourself to stay away, then join in with the Toon Army when the Ashley Out chants go up and if they’re on the pitch confronting the Director’s box, get out there with them.

Choose whatever way suits you and keep on at it.

Ashley Out!

• chancel be a fine thing

Jun 29, 2019 at 6:25 AM

On NUST. I read a FAQ thread on twitter yesterday, it clarifies their setup and aims. I just had a quick look, but couldn’t find it, I think it might have been posted by a member and not from the NUST account. Perhaps if someone knows where to find it, they could post a link..
    From memory, NUST has just had a rejigging of the board and hence the new approach to membership costs. It’s founding aims are to have dialogue with the club and build up meaningful ties with the club so that supporters can have an influence on the club. To that end, it is their aim to get a NUST member on the NUFC board and their ultimate aim is to get a 51% controlling stake of the club.
    It is a democratic organisation and every member has 1 vote. The board is elected every year and any member can put themselves up for election.
    The money is used when needed for the various running costs, but when possible things are sourced for free from members; the example given being a member designed the website for no cost. Most of the money in in the NUST bank account.
    There was quite a lot more info in the thread that I don’t recall.

• MarkBro

Jun 29, 2019 at 6:30 AM

Unfortunately for us, mike has more money than sense. Too pig headed to back out of an argumement.

Rafas built a squad of misfits and reserve players, tweaked positions to make a working team that can get results. All done due to Mike’s penny pinching.

A new man might come in and not like 70% of the team. He’ll want wholesale changes quickly.

This will cost a lot and will take forever as we all know mike doesnt pay going rates and only buys if theres money already in the bank.

Better the devil you know with rafa

• Mindshaft

Jun 29, 2019 at 6:55 AM

Morning all, not sure what I’ve done to make Midhat single me out for the cold shoulder , I’ve WhatsApp’d , snapchatted, phoned, LinkedIn and Instagrammed him but still nowt!
    A bit annoyed that he seems to chat to everyone else but me ..
    Oh well, maybe he’s gonna give me a few million to make it up to me for keeping me waiting ( after all chicken feed to him )

• Optimistic Oryx

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:07 AM

Medhat, I went there on exercise a few times with the army, is the town involved in buying us?

• #boycott Arsenal

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:17 AM

Please don’t say you’ve been in touch with Midhat, you’ll have regular poster and duplicitous coward Joe Sophistication asking for hearts to call you a w@nker, it’s easier just to say the takeover is definitely on just mix up the words to pin ball wizard and Keith Moon in Morse but don’t shoot the messenger I’m just passing on what I heard.

• Sad Frog II

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:20 AM

I use to be Ashley Hole but now i`m just a poor frog, I’ll be frog till we are sold! Too many y, too many l, FROG THE BLOG, NEVER FROGIVE TO MIKE!

FAKEOVER 2 – 0 TAKEOVER

• Sad Frog II

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:22 AM

Too many yyyyy, too many lllll

• Mindshaft

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:27 AM

#jail – to be fair to Joe Sophistication – I definitely have been known to w@nk so he won’t be far wrong

• Mund

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:47 AM

I can’t wait to get past the next few days hopefully by then we will have a better idea where we are at. Will there be an announcement? Which has done its rounds on twitter or will it turn out to be total nonsense? The most important thing that I am waiting for is Rafa’s leaving statement if the next few days come round and we haven’t heard anything the hope will remain but then if he does come out and say his farewell thanking the fans etc etc and nothing special regarding our current situation, then we will be no further forward. I just want someone to put me out my misery because every day is torture and I’m sure it’s the same for most.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:53 AM

Mund,
    What happened to that meeting?

• Mund

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:55 AM

Jail

I mentioned on a previous thread he said it didn’t happen and I doubt he even knows what he is talking about hence why I haven’t asked him anything else I sit and wait like the rest of us

• hibbit

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:57 AM

been so many false dawns this is just another one. the fat twats done it again >:(

• #boycott Arsenal

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:00 AM

Mund,
    If you suspected he didn’t know what he was talking about, why on earth did you post it. That led at work who told me about Rafa packing his things is a genuine nice lad, but I would in no way have posted what he told me because I simply couldn’t verify it, I just don’t get what drives people to post BS for the sake of it.

• The mighty wyn

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:00 AM

Hibbit have you heard something else or are you just guessing the fat one has screwed it up again

• MarkBro

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:04 AM

Keyboard journalists ? theyve replaced info that used to come from taxi drivers before the interweb was created

• Mund

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:05 AM

I posted it because I took him for his word when he told me. I figured I knew someone who worked for Ashley so why not reach out and ask if he knew anything? He did say other stuff but like I said I doubt his credibility now and didn’t post anything else he said I apologise if I misleaded anyone but I was sharing in good faith. Being a new poster but a long time reader of the blog I guess I dived in

• #boycott Arsenal

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:09 AM

MarkBro,
    He’s full of shit, when it first broke you had a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon who sounded like they had connections, it was conjecture based on what we’d already been told by the media. It has gone awfully quiet from the ITK’s since Justin Allen stopped reporting.

• hibbit

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:09 AM

The mighty wyn

no mate just how i feel this morning, it pi$$es me off every time i get a ST renewal reminder and i just got one this morning .

• #boycott Arsenal

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:14 AM

You now have people saying that the club shop etc is holding up the deal with people sounding off about how greedy that is like the guy who said it actually knows. Like I said nobody knows anything unless they have direct connections to anyone who is involved, does Dubai Micky still believe that what’s app message.

• Mund

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:17 AM

Jail

Can I ask mate what’s your take on this current situation? Do you think it’s business as usual and nothing changes or do you believe we are headed for better times?

• Singinginthecorner

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:19 AM

Nobody on here should be slated for posting information there have heard if nobody post the blog would of been dead over the last month. The only people on hear who know anything concrete are the likes of toon22, they can post till the cows come home “who’s he going to sell us to next time” blah blah blah…..but it does not give him and his cronies the right to slate other people the right to berate and belittle others posters on this blog

• MarkBro

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:21 AM

Was out for a gig in newcastle on thursday, for the 1st time in years my pals completely refused to discuss nufc. Too painful to even go there. This is the biggest turn of events in our modern history. If Ashley messes this up there will be no going back but only us fans can make it happen. Time for mass demonstrations and boycotts

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:24 AM

My money is on the two week deadline being true which means if the takeover isn’t done by the end of next week it’s off.

For both MA and BZG it’s crucial that the deal is done asap so that a new manager can start transfer action in time for the new season.

If MA has changed the goalposts he’s given BZG two weeks to accept or he pulls the plug.

If BZG are the ones holding things up then they’ve been given two weeks to put up or shut up.

Either way I think this next week is crucial.

• Mund

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:26 AM

Bills

Totally agree I think this upcoming week is vital on what future this club has. There is to much information conflicting each other’s claims so all we can do is sit and patiently wait which is totally easy right?

• MarkBro

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:29 AM

Munds. too much conflicting info?

Theres no info whatsoever. Only conflicting reports are speculative ones by reports keen go get their scoop right