web analytics

CBS Sports Writer Tweets About Newcastle Player Exploring Options

Roger Gonzalez is a sports writer who covers the U.S. Men’s National Team, U.S. Women’s National team, and the MLS for CBS Sports.

He tweeted the following earlier today about Newcastle United and U.S. Men’s National team right back DeAndre Yedlin:

Gonzalez is pretty close to the U.S. National Team so he may very well have heard something. We have not, however, been able to find any links with Yedlin to clubs in Europe.

DeAndre Yedlin was brought to Newcastle by Rafa Benitez in the summer of 2016. Even though he was dropped in favor of Javier Manquillo to close this past season, he has been Newcastle’s right back of choice under Benitez over the past three years.

The Newcastle squad to a man (well maybe minus Jack Colback) will likely be reeling with the news of Rafa Benitez’s departure this week.

This decision by Ashley could have a ripple effect throughout the squad. While the loss of Yedlin would not be as devastating as losing Sean Longstaff or even Ayoze Perez, he is still a very good squad player and a popular teammate.

The news of Rafa Benitez’s departure has reverberated around the world as he is an icon and had become the face of Newcastle United.

He was the reason Newcastle were on the television so often outside of Britain. He was a draw because he was a class manager and fun to watch on the sidelines.

Especially after a win when he would remove his glasses and turn to shake everyone’s hand.

One more time for old time’s sake. Even if it hurts.

• Jib

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:22 AM

Anyone else think toon22 @119 overstepped the mark ?

• The Sheikh'sMate

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:24 AM

Toon22
    I’ve read most of your posts for some time now.
    You are quite repetitive, stubborn etc, but I don’t agree with some folk making personal remarks against you.
    Anyway… I think this time, after a long long time of thoughts and lost hope I’m afraid I’m going to have to conclude that you’re right… This useless, ice cold, void of emotion fat 10faced mama’s boy bastard just isn’t in touch with the real world.. and.. Phatt boy, if you or any of your arse wipes read this, I would LOVE to have a little chat in your shell like down a nice dark alleyway.. What.. frightened? Well fetch mummy too

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:25 AM

It says a lot that the most exciting manager prospect we are linked with is the one who has never managed in Arteta. I think he’s our best bet or Martinez as they’ll both improve the attack and be able to rely on benitezs defence for a year. Whoever we get we will probably see our defenders performances go down. The only player I can see benefitting from a new manager is colback or murphy.

• toon22

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:25 AM

JIB

You’ve been horrible to so many people it’s unreal
    I’m horrible to someone hated and you take offence

It’s never MAs fault

• Jib

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:28 AM

I wonder what Jail for Ashley thinks about wishing death on a bairn ?

• Genjikai

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:32 AM

Toon22 you going to the magpie group meeting on monday?

• toon22

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:33 AM

Genjikai

Cant make it

JIB

Still defending the guy, just in a more obvious way than normal

• #boycott Arsenal

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:35 AM

Jibbers,
    It’s not very nice is it, what compelled you to wish breast cancer on another posters Ma?

• Mindshaft

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:35 AM

@jib – yeah, maybe not wishing he died as a child but anytime in the last 12 years would have been good or anytime in the next 12 minutes

• Genjikai

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:35 AM

Just think about it before rafa turned up we were pissed off and rightly so.
    Then i think ashley has turned the corner. Hired rafa going to do things properly, why else hire someone of rafas stature?
    That was 3 years going,in january it will be 4.
    He played a blinder ashley has.
    Thats nearly 4 years ago that i thought this is ashleys last chance for changing. Rafa gone gloves are off now. We must end ashley.
    Finish him.
    Enough is enough.

• Genjikai

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:35 AM

Flawless victory.

• Jib

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:36 AM

Of all the managers linked with us I find Lauren Blanc
    the most exciting followed by Mikel Arteta.

• Mindshaft

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:37 AM

11 minutes …. Is he dead yet

• geordietom

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:37 AM

Jib

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:19 AM

toon22
    ignoring a question is a very clever tactic lol

jib you hit the nail on the head dont forget he’s got a agenda …

he talks a good game trying to get people to revolt against the regime . when he’s asked if he’s gonna go to any of these meetings ect . his answer i’ve got to see if i can get time off . been the same answer every time .what gets me is time off from what . putting comments on this blog ?

• Mindshaft

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:37 AM

Where’s Uri Geller when you need him

• Genjikai

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:38 AM

Jib i still like rafa as manager me.
    Ill be refering to all new managers as rafa.
    Just going to live in my delusional geordie world and pretend that rafa getting sacked didnt happen.
    Cause like literally i still cant believe it so im not going too.

• Jib

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:38 AM

Jail
    I didn’t

• toon22

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:38 AM

LOL

• toon22

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:39 AM

Must have been the “other” JIB

😉

• Genjikai

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:39 AM

Uri gellers concetrating on stopping brexit so hes busy mate.

• Jib

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:40 AM

One has to wonder why Jail is wing man for the frog

• Captain AmeriMag

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:41 AM

The doors are still open at Captain AmeriMag’s Positivity Club, come and enjoy a Khaled Cocktail on the sun deck on this lovely sunny day!
    We make them with fresh unicorn milk and they instantly make you 10 years younger!!
    I’m going to enjoy them until we get an official announcement but if you would rather squabble about killing children that’s your prerogative

• Mindshaft

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:43 AM

How about Paul Daniels – now that’s magic

• lesh

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:43 AM

Jib

@113

How you have the temerity to suggest someone’s overstepped the mark I’ll never know.

• toon22

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:46 AM

He has to defend MA so its kind of his job

Easy pickings 😉

• Genjikai

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:46 AM

Mindshaft we have the best magician in ashley he makes a 120 mil go missing every season. Before everyones eyes aswell.

• Jib

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:48 AM

Lesh
    I’ve frequently overstepped the mark and apologised for it and had my wrist slapped by Ed
    That doesn’t mean (in fact it probably gives me more right)
    that I cannot point out other bloggers misdemeanours

• Mindshaft

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:48 AM

Captain – think I’m gonna join you, but only if having two unicorn milks makes me 20 years younger

• Munster Mag

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:58 AM

So it’s beginning to look like my concerns were right. Midhat and Co broke the news to get a head start thinking they were further down the road than they were. Now we can’t seem to find out whether they are even under consideration by the league or if they have got over proof of funds? If they are genuine and have the money, but can’t make a deal happen, it will deter other potential buyers permanently and Ashley will take us off the market. That might end up being a good thing, because we will need stability.

• Munster Mag

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:00 AM

Rotunda I thínk you are wrong re Martinez. Everton fans hated him at the end and I watched one of his last home games where the fans were booing with frustration because the ball barely went past halfway.

• outside the box

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:02 AM

i would like to see if we could explore the idea of subscribing towards a statue of cashley to be displayed in the city maybe dressed as a crook ..stripey jumper and bandit eye mask..maybe located outside one of his closed shops …the mag say we should do nothing …ignore him …i say …put him on billboards outside sd shops…

• catchy in norway

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:07 AM

• geordietom

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:08 AM

what gets me is why the wall of silence. since the arabs put their 2 statements on . theres been nothing . i’am still hopeful we will get sold . seems strange theres been nowt said is that a good sign ? …

• Mindshaft

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:08 AM

Martinez was a disaster in his second season at Everton , they couldn’t defend at all
    Frankly I don’t care who we get as manager, under Ashley’s regime they’ll get to work in one of the worst training grounds in the prem, no say in who we buy or sell , a dilapidated stadium ( although we have new sports direct advertising signs) disillusioned fans in a poisonous atmosphere and players in revolt at the yearly no bonus meetings.
    His target will be to remain in premier League which I think will be an impossible ask this season – I definitely won’t be going to home games and putting money in his pocket
    Is he dead yet ?

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:10 AM

I wonder what Ashley’s learned from Rafa, if anything at all.

We’ve had decent depth and balance in the squad for the first time ever, experienced heads where needed and far fewer injuries. A disciplined, professional, committed, fit and focussed group of players. All because Rafa went toe to toe with the owner and won the day in so many key areas large and small. Lots of changes and doing things right.

He lost the war though, simply because he didn’t realize he was dealing with a certified dickhead.

Will Ashley give the new guy the same latitude and authority, having seen Rafa make it work so well, or will he revert to type?

I honestly think Ashley still believes his approach can work and that he’ll claw back the ground Rafa battled so hard to gain for the dugout.

• Jib

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:12 AM

According to Catchy
    Most of us are banjo playing Texan comedians

• Munster Mag

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:13 AM

Assuming rafa doesn’t come back, at least we can now get some normality into the blog where fans can criticise managers as they see fit, without Jail and his similarly halfwitted taliban minions getting hissy fits. At this point I’d agree with Jib re Blanc and Arteta. Also Sergio conceicao. I think moyes is probably better than he is given credit for, but thoughts of Hughes and Dyche or Ó neill or Tim sherwood or the involvement of guys like Wise could have me going to the docs for a depression diagnosis. As for the people who say they will give up supporting, that’s not possible for many of us.

• Munster Mag

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:21 AM

Nicky was rafa technically sacked because his contract wasn’t finished. I assume so? I wonder when we are going to get a comment from him. Also, I don’t see why silence from BZG is a good thing anymore seeing as they have commented twice. A few reassuring words would be wonderful but I presume at this stage we can start to give up hope. If Ashley makes a managerial appointment with a normal 3 year tenure then it’s all dead in the water?

• Lee Dodd

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:31 AM

A lot of the squad are here because of Rafa & now he is gone they will want out as it is basicly Mike Ashleys Sports Direct FC under the banner of NUFC… The poor sod who gets Rafa’s Job will NOT know what he has let himself in for this season… I think the sale of the club is now dead and buried as ashley is impossible to deal with as once he sells the club shite direct will walk backwards without a front…

• magfry

Jun 29, 2019 at 12:10 PM

Please give us some good news !