web analytics

Former Player Talks About Newcastle’s Massive Crisis – There’s An Easy Solution

When it was announced last Monday afternoon that Rafa was leaving the club we immediately thought it was just crazy – and whether we could still somehow retain Rafa at the club.

It seems to us that owner Mike Ashley is doing things to spite the fans,  much like he seems to have been doing during most of his 12 years tenure as the owner.

After all, if Rafa came back – say tomorrow – things would immediately calm down – and we would be celebrating again.

So it really is an easy and quick solution.

And not only are the fans so grieved at what the owner has done but so are the players who have created very close working contacts with our world-class manager.

Mick Martin is a former Irish midfielder for Newcastle who played for us from 1978 through 1984 – and he is active as a pundit and lives in Newcastle – and comments regularly on the club.

And there was an excellent article on Mick Martin in the Express recently where he said the following wise words:

There’s a possibility people will boycott.”

“Just across the road from where I have my office there’s a pub, and the guy who runs the pub over there said to me: ‘Mick I’ve given in my 5 tickets… I’m a Newcastle fan.”

“I’ll be traveling away, but I certainly won’t be attending and spending money so Mike Ashley can have a few more quid in his pocket.”

“So, I think there’s going to be a fair few of them.”

“Some of them (the players) will be bit deflated because they put their trust in Rafa Benitez.”

“They worked hard for him at the back end of the season to maintain their status in the Premiership.”

“To come back to pre-season which is upon us now, under whoever it is that comes in, it’s going be very, very difficult for both players and the manager.”

“The problem you have facing you now is an appointment of a new manager.”

“Now a new manager comes in, straight away you have to hit the ground running because if he doesn’t, results aren’t good, then the crowds are going to start booing him, booing Ashley, and everything is going to be up in the air.”

“Whoever does come in has got to be strong and handle the pressure of replacing Rafa Benitez, because if he doesn’t he’s going to get buried up here.”

It’s an almost impossible situation Ashley has created at Newcastle – for those who matter – the fans and the players.

But we need to somehow get Mike Ashley to sign Rafa as manager – even for one year – that’s the first vital step.

And then we can get Mike Ashley out; he needs to do the deal with Sheikh Khaled – although he’s the one who has been holding up the deal for weeks – there is little doubt about that.

He probably wants free advertising for the next five years and will want to keep all the Sports Direct banners in situ at St. James’ Park and at the Benton training grounds.

Ashley needs to respect the club – and get out.

• IrishRob

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:56 PM

• IrishRob

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:58 PM

Wheres the brilliant solution Ed?

• Mund

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:00 PM

Chico

I think on previous takeovers that was defo the case but this time i think its different. We as fans now see right through ashleys games and tactics he cant keep pulling the wool over our eyes any longer. Yes he doesnt care one bit about us but he does care about money and his business and if he doesnt sell us this time he is going to lose out big time. If he doesnt sell the situation just becomes worse for him and will only get worse over the continuous time he is here. As much as i think he is an idiot he cant be that daft not when it comes to his precious money.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:07 PM

I am still skeptical that anything will sway the Fat Man. There was almost a mutiny with Pardew, and rightly so. And still Ashley remained loyal to the fact that he would have to pay up an 8 year contract rather than dealing with results and inevitable relegation if he stayed much longer. Then they appointed his deputy who had proven before he was not a Manager – Leeds, Vancouver – but he was cheap. And the man who did that is still here. I mean Charnley.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:09 PM

Mund: I don’t know how many times I have said to myself – Ashley can’t be that stupid, he is cutting his nose off to spite his face. It happened again only this last Monday.

• neverbeento wembly

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:09 PM

Headlines in Sat press in Middle East is takeover a hoax orchestrated by Ashley

• ChicoUSA

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:11 PM

Mund,
    I’m hoping (still) that there really is a takeover in the works, and not just a fake-over! I hope the new owners hire Rafa on a long term deal and invest heavily in the club!

But if this IS another fake-over then my thinking will be that Ashley is simply sick or evil! That he hates the fans even more than he loves money. He would be like the angry and twisted soul that tortures his own pet!

• RonVanDam

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:12 PM

Get the petition. MA knows he will lose a lot more if he doesn’t get Rafa back

• Mund

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:15 PM

The 8 year contract he gave Pardew was to make himself money not to stay loyal i am 100% he would of had a clause in it stating if sacked he wouldnt have to pay out the full contract just a year or something like that the reason for the big contract was for say someone like palace to come along and have to pay millions in compensation to have them as there manager. Pardew was perfect for ashley and he probs thought after 11/12 season he had a diamond but as pardew always do he has a good start then it just goes down hill. Regarding the 11/12 season i just think it was great work from Carr and Co and we got extremely lucky with the players we had because it just gelled and if there was ever a platform in ashleys regime to push on and build on it was after that season but he didnt and we made one signing anita which is incredible. He showed the likes of ba, cabaye, tiote etc etc we had 0 ambition and they wouldnt to move on because of this.

• hibbit

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:16 PM

hibbit re post

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:14 PM

Tony Baloney
    it was Ashley that declared this and war now he will face the consequences,
    i’m pretty sure your not from the north east and i’m very sure you’ve never been to st lames yet you preach on the rights and wrongs of fighting back
    you defiantly don’t have a clue how badly folk up here have taken this news about Rafa and its probably time to expect the unexpected like you say there’s some nutters up here and Ashley’s upset them,

• Tony Baloney

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:17 PM

If this is a hoax then it is the most elaborate yet. There must have been (is) some genuine interest. He cannot just have been making this up. They must mean by HOAX that Ashley never had any intention of selling and was stringing them along. For what purpose I am not sure as he has shown contempt for the fans and as ChicoUSA said why bother with the charade if he doesn’t give a fck anyway?

• Bills Son Is Back

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:19 PM

Ed you say -There are signs that players such as Ayoze Perez, Federico Fernandez, Fabian Schar, Martin Dubravka, DeAndre Yedlin, Sean Longstaff and Miguel Almiron could all want to leave the club this summer.

Where are the signs Ed??

Speculation from journo’s picking out players for an easy, non factual, baseless write up?

Or official statements from the players?

TBH, some of the threads on here are written purely to stoke up the crowd, create bile and get more rants from the readers.

Does NUFC Blog stand for Newcastle United Football Clickbait Blog?

• Mund

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:20 PM

Tony totally feel the same nothing is past ashley but like i mentioned the most important thing to him is money and by not selling now he is putting himself down a very dark path that doesnt end well with him. But like you me and everyone says nothing seems to be beyond that man well thats how he has made us feel over this past 12 dreadful years

• Tony Baloney

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:25 PM

Hibbit: I am from the NE. My grandfather was a coalminer in Brenkley colliery for 50 years (left school at 13) and my brother worked at Swan Hunters. When I grew up they even had a stable for pit ponies across from the pit. I am 50 and they went to games from when I was about 12 until I went to University. Loved Supermac and even had a childish dislike for Gowling because I thought Gordon Lee valued him more. There were stories about the Bastia game the other day and was at that game and saw Jonny Reps goal flying towards me in the Leazes end.

• beefman13

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:29 PM

Bills, all we get is speculation, this n that’s going to happen, all our top players leaving? are these the top players who for half of the season people saying they were pants, only Longstaff I would be pissed at if we Sold, and I would like to keep Rondon n Almiron, the rest are nowt owa imo.
    Full House there or there abouts 11th April.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:29 PM

Anyone who thinks the Ash cloud doesn’t care what the fans think hasn’t been paying attention. He does everything he can to anger the fans, he hates us and everything we stand for.

Ever since his flippant remark about being the ‘pantomime villain’ he’s proven that he loves the role.

When Rafa fell into his lap, there was a chance to rebuild and he spent 3 years undermining him and flatly refusing to do even the bare minimum.

• Tony Baloney

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:29 PM

But Hibbit: I don’t really think I need to defend myself to you or anybody else. Perhaps I have upset the status quo of infighting on here where you all know your positions and and who you dislike and the Fight Club is all warm and fuzzy now, with only the odd Fck You.

• geordiemark

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:30 PM

if all this is a hoax then newcastle upon tyne will be out of bounds for the owner of the club, SJP will never see him again

• Toon Cat

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:32 PM

Life can always surprise you, but personally I think the relationship between Rafa and the stooges running the club has broken down so badly there’s no chance he’d come back as long as Ashley is running the club.

Why would he ? They’ve treated him with disrespect. They’ve strung him along and broken promises. He’s seen how dysfunctional their idea of managing a club is and he knows they have no intention of changing. They’ve made clear beyond any doubt their lack of any ambition, beyond avoiding relegation each season as cheaply as possible. They’ve lied in the past about ‘takeovers’. What could they tell him now that he would have any reason to believe ?

• Cajones

Jun 29, 2019 at 6:04 PM

It will not be advertising that is holding the deal. Ashley rewrote all the commercial deals at Rangers to benefit Sports Direct. Rangers would be left with 7p in the £ spent on merchandising for 7 years. A club like Newcastle that is hundreds of millions in lost profit for the new owners. That is why the takeover will not happen anytime until fat Ash decides to remove that from any deal.