web analytics

Almiron Deflects Real Madrid Rumour – Concentrating on Newcastle United.

Miguel Almiron was interviewed by ABCTV Paraguay upon his and his compatriots return from Copa America. Paraguay was eliminated in a heart-wrenching penalty shootout in their quarterfinals against Brazil on Thursday.

Roberto Rojas, a beIN Sports reporter and our go to guy for any Paraguay National Team information, just tweeted out this about Miguel’s interview:

These are excellent words from Miguel Almiron. We especially love his use of the past tense when referencing his focus for the National team.

His declaration “now I’m focused on Newcastle” should be reassuring for Newcastle fans. Miguel will be very disappointed in the way Paraguay was eliminated by South American powerhouse Brazil.

But Paraguay were very much up for the game and gave Brazil all they could handle. It just went down to the fate of a penalty shootout.

Miguel will also be distraught that the man who fought so hard to bring him to Newcastle will not be there to welcome him back on July 4th. However, he will have felt the love and support of the Newcastle fans and we have to believe, or at least hope, that he will return ready to light up the crowd of St James Park.

The more we see and hear from Miguel Almiron the more we respect and admire him. He just comes across as such a genuine and humble individual. Let’s hope we get to see him in the black and whites for years to come.

• Posh_Geordie

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:09 AM

Pr machine kicking in for Ashlie.

• Tongue in Sheikh

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:14 AM

Why should Ashley’s home be off limits. He needs to realize United is not just a business, but a way of life, an identity. Loads of families are feeling pain, frustration and dispair at his hand. Why shouldnt he and his feel a bit of discomfort. Not advocating violence or vandalism but what the london mags did was perfectly fine in my book

• geordietom

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:18 AM

posh …

yep …

• geordietom

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:20 AM

TIS …

because Fat Ash will play the Victim . give his pr people more ammo to fire back at us mate …

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:21 AM

I knew there’d be another bus just as I post, so I copied my comment and now to repost it.

Had a short online rpg session and fell around a million comments and several threads behind.

Right catchup time.

Tynemouth.
    No I don’t think Catchy has been over critical of Rafa, yes he has been critical but what he has said I think is fair and reasonable, is Rafa above any criticism, seems to me that anyone who dares to question his decisions is a witch and faces the inquisition. That to me is illogical and totally unfair.

One fine day
    I have no problem with toon22s agenda, I agree with what he wants, what gets up my nose is his attacks on honest loyal Toon fans. His shill accusations set him up for ridicule, frankly he reaps what he sows. Apparently I’m a shill cos i have Essex in my moniker. Defend him as much as you want, that’s your choice and I respect that.

Carltoon

God I wish I was 70 again, mind you I’ve been told I look around 15 years younger than I am, but not sure if people are just being nice to me.

I do know who are 10 to 15 years younger than me an they seem to be mentally and physically much older.

I think much of ageing is in the mind, think young to stay young and more importantly stay active.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:24 AM

Where’s the rest of the regular night shift, don’t tell me they have lives to lead!?

• davo

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:30 AM

Re protesting his house/street. He’s totally disrespecting our family/neighbours. It’s only fair we do the same, peacefully of course.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:31 AM

Right as it looks like just me talking to myself so I’ll call it a night, G’dnight to anyone still out there.

• davo

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:32 AM

#1
    Too quick for me

• Tongue in Sheikh

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:32 AM

Geordie tom

True enough. Wouldnt put it past him to hire someone to pop on a toon shirt and ‘threaten’ his family just for the PR. Know there would be a fair few mackems who would take him up on it

• IrishRob

Jun 30, 2019 at 5:00 AM

The worrying thing is, if BZG wanted Rafa gone, they wouldn’t want Ashley telling ppl. What does that tell you? Ashley isn’t worried about what they think, which means there was no takeover, that or hes now using them and trying to piss them off to collapse the supposed deal now Ashley has gotten what he wants.

This statement would worry me just as much as it kept my Hope’s up now that I think about it.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 30, 2019 at 5:52 AM

“I can’t stay, can I?” 🙁

• RonVanDam

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:05 AM

There seems to be more to this story than what’s been told
    If BZG group did submit their documents to pass “The so called fit-and-proper Premier League process ” back on 17th April. How tf there’s no outcome on it when 3months has lapsed when it takes 2-4weeks to receive results.
    Didn’t the director Midhat also mentioned they wanted to retain Rafa when they took over.
    Someone is telling pokies here

• RonVanDam

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:09 AM

If the takeover is going to happen, it needs to be done within the next 2 weeks.
    If they want Mourinho to lead the club before he signs elsewhere than this deal needs to happen ASAP otherwise we will end up paying premium prices to get players in a very short time frame and I don’t think Mou would keep 90% of the players in the squad so a huge overhaul will be required in such a short turnaround

• Genjikai

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:23 AM

Interesting on the bolton take over. I know it was mentioned yesterday on the blog about head of terms being sign for them.
    Reading the article it says that the process of a take over is usually 4 or 5 months but theyve had to condense it down to a 7 week period.
    Proves that things can get done when both parties are willing.

• RonVanDam

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:30 AM

If Rafa ever writes an autobiography, it will be interesting to read his side of the story during the final stages of his NUFC managerial career

• Lovem or Hatem

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:33 AM

I really hope BZG come

• Lovem or Hatem

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:35 AM

Come out with a statement in light of the mirror article – they need to counter the rubbish that is coming out

• DubaiMicky

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:53 AM

I think the Mirror “story” although made up and with no named “sauces” is accurate, BZG don’t want Rafa for whatever reason (which I think is a mistake but hey ho), so it makes sense to them to get rid of the liability (12 months of contracts for people they don’t want).

I know it’s not the popular choice, but I can understand the reasoning.

• Captain AmeriMag

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:58 AM

Maybe the takeover is as far along as Shirebrook and others heard, ie ready to announce tomorrow, and the BZG do want Mourinho. The fact his old assistant has been contacted would be another sign this could be the case. The fact Ashlie is leaking the info could be a worry but it equally could just be reactionary to a protest outside his house? If his missus has told him to get the word out so she can sun bathe in peace today he’s going to oblige like most husbands!!

• Paully

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:59 AM

Jib

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:42 PM

Johnny Marr’s finest moment

Expand please Jib? Johnny Marr had absolutely zero to do with that song or performance?

You’re doing the great Boz Boorer a huge disservice there.

• Dragon64

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:59 AM

Let’s hope it’s still going to happen

• Paully

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:03 AM

DM I’m afraid I don’t understand the reasoning? If the Arabs had really done their homework as suggested then surely keeping hold of Rafa would have been a smart move given Rafas popularity amoung our fanbase?

• Captain AmeriMag

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:10 AM

Someone posted a good while ago (I think it was Jib but I’m not sure apologies) that Rafa being so revered and powerful would be a risk for new owners coming in which sense. Any future disagreement would likely have the fans siding with Rafa so a clean start with an equally world class manager would make sense.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Jose has been involved from the start though, maybe even consulted before the process started and the plan was always for him to manage and build it from the start. Would fit with his quotes a while back

• Dragon64

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:10 AM

If they don’t want Rafa what is there reason for this ???. Not too sure about Jose yet a few yrs ago would of jumped at the chance Rafa would of been the better option in my eyes but what do I no

• Dragon64

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:13 AM

There has to be something going on to quiet and all the media just making crap up we shall see??????

• hibbit

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:19 AM

so let me get this right Ashley gets rid of Rafa by only offering him a short term contract, because the new owners don’t want Rafa, thats the very same new owner that Ashley keeps telling us though his pr machine dont have the money.
    just doesn’t add up

• Diddly

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:24 AM

Something doesn’t add up. Ashley gets rid of rafa because BZG don’t want him in one report. Then in another French group led by Kenyon who Ashley prefers want Rafa. So why finish him. I think as Mickey says BZG don’t want Rafa. I just can’t understand why they made a statement last week instead of just running his contract down. Ashley s last swing. Or he’s digging a bigger hole for himself.

• Dragon64

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:30 AM

If there is something happening well they had better get a move on.
    If takeover is fake why have they not said so ?
    Rafa goes no statement from the man himself?
    It has to be happening logic says so or does it???

• Diddly

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:31 AM

Maybe hibbit. he could have just let contract run out and it would have got less shock publicity. This way it’s a last one fingered salute at the fan’s on the way out. Let’s hope so

• IrishRob

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:31 AM

If they were serious about buying and if Ashley was serious about selling, then there is no way in hell Ashley would have come out and said that.

I’m also sceptical that we will hear anything from either BZG or Rafa for one big reason, if they want Newcastle they cant afford to shoot Ashley down. Even if things get sour they still cant risk a possible future bid by saying too much about how he conducts business.

It’s the same for Rafa, while there is 99% chance Rafa wont be coming back under Ashley, if he was to come out and tell everyone what hes like then that goes up to 100%

I have a strong feeling neither side is going to say anything against Ashley because he holds all the cards, like it or lump it.

• hibbit

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:32 AM

now we have no deal, no manager, even more fans unrest !!!!!

• jazzyp

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:42 AM

Maybe..If..Might..Linked to him

Still jack and still guesswork lads.Everyone pinning there Hope’s on this coming week will hopefully be the same people that say
    ” Ya know what f@ck you and ya Season ticket” If nothing transpires,Even if it’s just for one season to show solidarity for once amongst fans

• chancel be a fine thing

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:44 AM

I’m of the opinion that everything we have read in the British press, including the sun article that broke the sale story, has come from Ashley’s camp. This latest story makes no sense. If true, then surely the idea was to make Ashley the fall guy to take the flak away from BZG, so why throw a spanner in the plan. It looks like either Ashley is trying to piss them off to try and get them to pull out (perhaps they’ve rolled with his moving of goal posts, and now he’s running out of ways to scupper the deal) or the deals done and it’s one last parting shot. Combined with the alleged French consortium who would have bought us if the nasty Arabs hadn’t of sacked Rafa ‘story’. It all smacks of Ashley trying to scupper the deal which is a bit worrying.
    Having said that, I’m staying positive that a deal will be done.

• cyprus

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:46 AM

The big picture screams one thing: new regime, soon.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:48 AM

Mmm, how about this?

Ashley steadfastly refuses to speculate to accumulate, so Rafa can’t stay, and wants so much for the club, either in cash or add ons, that he can’t sell either, and certainly not now without Rafa….and a sale was never close.

Charnley will take 6 weeks to hire an entirely underwhelming manager, and we’ll spend sweet FA this window, going into the season with a collection of forwards including Gayle, Murphy and Joselu, and a midfield of Colback, Longstaff, Shelvey and KiSy, if we’re lucky.

I’d say that’s probably where we’re at.

Ashley Out!

• Lovem or Hatem

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:56 AM

How about this for a theory :

BZG tell Ashley they not bothered with Rafa. Ashley gets rid of Rafa. Fans are annoyed with Ashley. Takeover happens and BZG hire Rafa. Fans are happy with BZG.

So, could BZG be messing with Ashley?

• Mindshaft

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:00 AM

Fair play to the London mags demonstrating outside Ashley’s house , not sure why people think it’s off limits, his running of Newcastle into the ground impacts thousands of Geordies daily – anything that raise the profile or gets news attention is fair play in my book

• cyprus

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:00 AM

Occam’s razor is a principle from philosophy. Suppose there exist two explanations for an occurrence. In this case the one that requires the least speculation is usually better. Another way of saying it is that the more assumptions you have to make, the more unlikely an explanation.

• Paully

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:01 AM

L or H – That’s my favoured scenario but unlikely imho, I can see Mourinho here (If of course the Sheikover is real).

1 2 3 5