web analytics

Almiron Deflects Real Madrid Rumour – Concentrating on Newcastle United.

Miguel Almiron was interviewed by ABCTV Paraguay upon his and his compatriots return from Copa America. Paraguay was eliminated in a heart-wrenching penalty shootout in their quarterfinals against Brazil on Thursday.

Roberto Rojas, a beIN Sports reporter and our go to guy for any Paraguay National Team information, just tweeted out this about Miguel’s interview:

These are excellent words from Miguel Almiron. We especially love his use of the past tense when referencing his focus for the National team.

His declaration “now I’m focused on Newcastle” should be reassuring for Newcastle fans. Miguel will be very disappointed in the way Paraguay was eliminated by South American powerhouse Brazil.

But Paraguay were very much up for the game and gave Brazil all they could handle. It just went down to the fate of a penalty shootout.

Miguel will also be distraught that the man who fought so hard to bring him to Newcastle will not be there to welcome him back on July 4th. However, he will have felt the love and support of the Newcastle fans and we have to believe, or at least hope, that he will return ready to light up the crowd of St James Park.

The more we see and hear from Miguel Almiron the more we respect and admire him. He just comes across as such a genuine and humble individual. Let’s hope we get to see him in the black and whites for years to come.

• chancel be a fine thing

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:01 AM

I think the movements in the transfer market will be the best indicator of what’s going on. It’s my understanding (more of a guess, happy to be corrected) that once the club is actually signed over and during the process of transfer of ownership, that no transfers can take place, but this , apparently is not where we are yet. I fully expect the Joselu transfer to go through, as I’m sure both parties would be in agreement on this, but if some of the crown jewels start being sold……More importantly, if we start buying players for 25-30M and getting deals done before the last day of the window, this would seem to me that the takeover is agreed and a money saving transfer ruse is happening.
    Ha ha Agent Bruce is employed on a one year contract for 2M, every, including selling clubs, assume the sale is off. We go out and buy a few top players. Once the deals are done, sale announced Agent Bruce bough out of his contract, new manager in, job done……..oohhhhh I nearly got those darn straws….

• Captain AmeriMag

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:06 AM

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, Agent Bruce!!

😀

Love it chancel

• chancel be a fine thing

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:09 AM

If the deal announced sun/mon rumours came from that fake journalist account on twitter, then I think we’re gonna have to wait a bit longer. Hibbitt/Shirebrook, did you ever find out if that was the source of what your friend’s heard?

• RUNAWAY777

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:10 AM

So ashley saying he let rafa go as they did want to pay say 6 million to sack him this man is full of shit .

• Muz

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:14 AM

I said when the announcement that Rafa was to leave happened that it smelled like BZG moving him out the door and letting fatty take the heat. Ashley would have really enjoyed giving us a gut punch with that press release.

Matches the clubs policy this summer in that there’s been no movement, (as opposed to one way movement away from the club), especially with ManU scoring around Longstaff; need normally have been lending the club his helicopter to fly the lad down by now.

Am still trying to figure out why BZG wouldn’t want Rafa if they want a world class, big name manager. They could be engineering a position that leaves Ashley needing to sell. We may yet get Rafa back.

All in all though, I think that we are at the end of the Ashley era at this club. And while sad to see Rafa go, I’d pay that price to see the back of fatty

• Lovem or Hatem

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:14 AM

@paully

I hope my theory is right because it will mean Rafa will be back and BZG will be new owners of NUFC

• Kamakazeee

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:18 AM

Maybe it’s Rafa’s personality they couldn’t work with? Wouldn’t be the first owners…

• c-dog

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:18 AM

From club insiders

BZG have not submitted an official bid yet.

• Muz

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:19 AM

Chancel, we’ve been linked with player purchases under the radar the last couple of weeks. The most notable being that French kid who Mourinho was bigging up in the paper. Could be that BZG have asked the special one to draw up his shopping list. Then when the shares are transferred they pull the trigger and buy the lot.

Nice to dream eh? Even nicer to think we’re finally in a position to even dare to dream.

• Lovem or Hatem

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:21 AM

@cdog

Can we believe the club insiders?

• chancel be a fine thing

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:21 AM

Muz, I agree, Rafa not signing only increases the chance of Ashley deciding to sell.

• posada

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:22 AM

If this goes on much longer I don’t think the club will be sold any time soon.
    Would anyone buy the club with no transfer window to work with.
    They would go into their first season with the real prospect of relegation.
    The clubs only worth 350M due to it’s Prem status and TV money.

• Bambams

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:25 AM

C-Dog

Morning fella

Early doors didn’t NUfC announce the two statements released by BZG were genuine, in one of them BZG claimed they had agreed a price with Ash and hoped to complete the deal as soon as possible.

Its frustrating fella

• chancel be a fine thing

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:30 AM

Muz, Although we’re always linked with good, expensive players around season ticket renewal time, it did seem strange to me when we linked with that Brazilian fella who plays for that German club for big money (pretty vague, I know). I checked him out on youtube, looked like a Kenedy who scores goals (I was not impressed at the price quoted). Some transfer stories stem from a genuine interest by the club (ie scouting the player/contact with club or agent), but this is the minority. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

• Muz

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:33 AM

Bambams. The price will have been part of the Heads of Terms document that both parties have signed. I don’t quite get where the notion there is no official bid comes from. You don’t bid again after agreeing Heads of Terms, you just negotiate from there on the basis you have a willing buyer and seller. All that could be said now is no final agreement has been reached. But I suspect that very few people bar the lawyers doing the transfer and the immediate people who engaged them know anything.

• hibbit

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:34 AM

• MarkBro

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:34 AM

Exactly mindshaft.

Ashleys actions directly invade my home every day, infact it effects everything and everywhere i go so nothings off limits in my eyes

• #boycott Arsenal

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:36 AM

Bambams,
    When have the club confirmed anything, by saying no comment?

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:37 AM

So they had to get rid of Benitez so that the new owners didn’t have to pay early contract termination? So that must mean Completion is 00:01 1/7/19 then?

Because if Ashley now hires anyone after this he will have to pay a contract termination fee of some sort to some mug and compensate him when he inevitably gets shoved out the revolving door by BZG. So it has to be tomorrow for the sale, yes? Tomorrow is the definite Magic Monday?

But why would BZG risk immediate alienation from the fans by getting rid of a talismanic manager for their own guy, risk bad results along with a sour start? Any businessman worth their salt would recognise that they could wait for a few poor results (as Hughton showed it masks the perfect opportunity) and then get their man in with little fuss. If they just continued with Benitez, assuming they would be more supportive than Ashley, history shows he would do well.

Oh dear. None of this adds up at all.

• hibbit

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:41 AM

The Daily Mirror opinion on Ashley has seismic shift in the last couple of weeks,

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:43 AM

Confusing stories, shifting of blame, confounding silence, vague social media comments, strange company house activity…

In the meantime, Ashley is the owner, Benitez is told to walk, search for new manager begins, business apparently as usual. Hmm. Perhaps this duck actually is just a duck and not a golden goose after all.

• MarkBro

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:45 AM

The mirror story sounds a bit iffy. If it does have some truth in it, we must be close to being sold and ashleys having a sly bitter dig.

it doesnt look good on the new owners, but its up to them who they employ.

Wenger would be a decent choice

• Bambams

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:45 AM

Muz

That was my thinking mate.

Jail

I have no direct quotes and yes the latest from the club is all no comment, but I am sure it was reported early doors that the club had confirmed the statements from BZG were accurate or genuine.

From the Chronicle, few scrolls down it confirms Toon say bid is genuine; If we can believe the Chronicle.

• Jib

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:46 AM

Paully
    Cheers – you have revealed a huge gap in my musical knowledge
    Like a prat I thought the recording was much older that it was
    I thought Gary Day was a young Johnny Marr (he plays bass fffs !)

doh
    doh
    and double doh

also apologies to Martin (Boz) Boorer

• #boycott Arsenal

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:51 AM

I honestly think that Ashley believes this will be another storm in a teacup and his bumbling yes man will get a few decent results and all will be forgotten, unfortunately I think he’s underestimated how woefully threadbare the squad is and the level of contempt for Wearside Jack when he comes sauntering back in saying foot you Rafa I’m still here, you’re not!!!

• hibbit

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:57 AM

the chronicle continue to tell us there’s been no formal offer and that there has been no exclusivity period granted , but we’re now Ashley is dumping a world class manager because BZG don’t want them??

this just doesn’t add up !!!!!!!

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:02 AM

No the sums are definitely iffy. 😐

• Munster Mag

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:08 AM

You’d have to think that bzg will reconsider Rafa if they come in. I think they are coming and I think they will get rafa. It seems odd that they would choose a different guy to the manager who was so popular. Even Mark miserable Hughes got a chance at City. And what heroes they would be, even if they brought him back for a year to see what he could do with a better budget and a chance to develop the academy in terms of the facility itself and the player base. It just seems a fairly stupid decision when the smart thing to do is staring them in the face? Also rafa wud surely manage their money far better than mourinho?

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:08 AM

If July 1st passes and no sale this letting go of Benitez
    stuff is a lie/fake. If a new manager is wheeled in by Charnley the sale is a lie/fake as well. If BZG wanted to buy AND put their man in contrary to the wishes of their brand new clientele, they are business and PR idiots and the future looks shaky still. (Sheikhy?).

The thing that makes most sense is the no sale, patsy manager, let’s all just carry on, eh? thing. I reckon that’s what we will see. Cue Frog.

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:09 AM

For once Munster I agree with you. 😉

• Munster Mag

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:11 AM

Muz and Co, can there be a Head of Terms agreed without a price being set, yes?

• Mund

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:11 AM

Really frustrating when you have one report one day and the next report conflicts that but it is Sunday normally the day when most crap is sprouted. I hope we hear something official soon about anything we need something.

Does anyone think we will hear anything from Rafa tomorrow?

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:13 AM

As I said the other day jail isn’t it ironic, as ms. Morisette might say, that Ginger Jack might be midfield kingpin. Captains armband? Joselu retained as strike spearhead? What kind of team do the NUFC – ’til – I – Die think they will go and watch? Mind boggles as to what will be served up.

• Jib

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:14 AM

I think the club offered Rafa a one year contract at
    BZG’s behest and Rafa thought why waste another
    year keeping NUFC safe and then being pedalled for
    someone else , when I can start a new project elsewhere.

As a few have said already
    All will be revealed in the fullness of time

• giimps

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:15 AM

What if this is just poetic license from the mirror, yes they may have been leaked that BZG did not want the slug to offer Rafa a new contract but the reasons are different, maybe that’s all they said and the slug let it slip that they didn’t want Rafa to sign a new contract but no other info given, the ” journalist” with no further information makes up the 6 million compo reason (why would Rafa agree to a 6m compensation clause again after the one he’s just had with the slug, it makes no sense?) but the real reason is that BZG are about to offer him their own contract with all of the guarantees he was after?
    This is what I’m hoping, either way, it looks like the takeover may actually be happening, or this is one hell of a stitch up , another thing , if there is a takeover but it’s after the season ticket deadline , I think the BZG will just extend till the end of July for those who have held back , if there is no takeover , I can see the Arsenal game being both toxic and agoraphobic for the ones that turn up.

• Tsunki

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:19 AM

Job nice theory but clearly rubbish. Get your p45 instead of banking on what you know and have worked hard to set up for years in favour of an uncertain period of unemployment? Ever been a top flight manager not knowing as time passed if you will be forgotten or ever get a chance at another big club? That you might wait years and then your stock goes down and you have to jump at a lower table Spanish side? No you haven’t.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:19 AM

There is a rabbit off somewhere here. Surely it would not be a legitimate reason to sack Rafa who was still under contract, because another party did not want him. Must be another reason.

• hibbit

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:22 AM

it’s sunday and only one paper running any kind of story on nufc,
    always column inches printed in all the nationals on a sunday ,
    the lull before the storm !!!!!

• Munster Mag

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:23 AM

On the ongoing ‘will my son support the toon’ saga, we are still winning although I may need to invest in more apparel even if its fake. I keep impersonating scousers and asking if he wants to hang around with people who can’t clear their sinuses. It’s working. But his cousins are polluting him with City, a better option than the scousers if I lose him surely? He can’t believe rafa is gone but we are waiting for the Sheikh to come and chop off the infidels hands and give rafa some sort of short term contract. As I said already, surely the logical thing to do, in the interests of stability. I still think its going to happen, the takeover that is. But getting rafa back, what a PR masterstroke that would be. I remember when keegan came back, listening to Irish sports radio v Stoke, and they were saying the atmosphere was staggering. It wud be such a chance for bzg to get the same effect although Kk was always my ultimate Toon hero.

• Dragon64

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:23 AM

Rafa has stayed silent one day it will all come out let’s hope it’s soon