web analytics

Happy Anniversary To A Class Act – We Love You Jonas!

Jonas Gutierrez joined Newcastle on July 2nd of 2008 from Spanish club Mallorca. And in what has become an annual ritual on his Twitter page, he has issued a tweet commemorating this date.

Jonas Gutierrez is a beloved figure on Tyneside. He played with his heart on his sleeve and in any position which he was asked.

When he arrived under Kevin Keegan, he was known as the one who donned the spider man mask when he scored. By the time he left six years later, he was remembered as the fighter who battled cancer and stood up for justice against an owner who scorned any notion of the word.

In October of 2013, Jonas was diagnosed with testicular cancer and had surgery. He was able to return later that year but had been frozen out of the team. By January 13, 2014, he found himself on loan to Norwich.

A tribunal would later find that Newcastle United had limited his appearances to prevent an automatic clause in his contract from triggering.

He would come back to Newcastle that summer but miss significant time due to treatment for the cancer. However on March 4th, 2015 he made his triumphant return at St James Park against Manchester United.

He would end his Newcastle career on May 24, 2015 with a game that would etch him into Newcastle legend. A game which Newcastle had to get a result in or risk going down if Hull City were able to win against Manchester United. He scored the second goal and also had the assist for Moussa Sissoko’s opener.

And once again even though we’ve watched it over a hundred times. Just to feel the chill of the moment again.

After that, he learned of his release from Newcastle United when John Carver asked Ryan Taylor to hand the phone over to Jonas. Ryan Taylor had just been told of his release as well.

Class matters. Jonas has it. Some do not.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:02 PM

Years of frustration reached breaking point in the Seasiders’ final game of the 2014-15 Championship season; with the club rock-bottom, the protesting home support invaded the pitch and forced an abandonment of their fixture against Huddersfield.

Since then, the fans exercised the only power they possessed and swore not to give a penny more.

“We need to understand where the power actually lies,” added Seddon. “If you can get yourselves organised and do as our fans have done, you can succeed. Blackpool fans have proved that.

“The fans have shown themselves to be so stoic, so courageous, so determined. Any new owner must tap into that and get us on side because they know now what the fans are capable of if they don’t.”

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:02 PM

“I take my hat off to Blackpool fans. The supporters have taken responsibility to change their position. They almost own their club already. They’re reclaiming the club for the community and I think that’s fantastic.

“They’ve been a credit to every football supporter in the country. Yes, it’s taken a long time, but they got there.”

• Captain AmeriMag

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:03 PM

I really need this BZG announcement now like!!
    Only I’m going to stop obsessively googling anything I can possibly think of to find a positive sign (it’s a one hour 5 minute drive from Luton airport to Denton’s London Law office down the M1 with tolls if anyone was wondering!!)
    Please Midhat put us out of our misery!!

• Youcancallmealan

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Athletico Mince Peter Beardsley on youtube classic

• Youcancallmealan

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:07 PM

There’s only one Peter Beardsley

• West Lancs Geordie

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:08 PM

All this fake news about a chopper dropping “somebody” off – does me heed in! Somebody needs to drop something sharp or heavy on a certain man’s chopper. That would get his attention.!
    Always hoped Toon 22 was wrong but the so & so is going to pull the plug on the deal (That’s if there ever was a deal). He was hoping Rafa would sign for another 12 months so he could take the club off the market but Rafa pre-empted that!
    His next move is to sell all the crown jewels ; Longstaff , Almiron , Perez , Dubravka & Lejeune – you watch

• Return of the Geordi

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:11 PM

Is there any way of disrupting the Sky transmission? Block the signal, run over the cables catapult marbles at the camera man

• Brussels

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:11 PM

First time poster, long time reader…
    Like most on here I’m wondering what the hell is going on with our club.
    With regards to a new manager, history tells us that the big fellow will not pay compensation which leaves us with a worrying shortlist…
    Also remember Arteta turning down the Arsenal job due to a lack of funds.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:11 PM

That goal v Wet Spam.

Unforgettable!

Still makes me look like I’ve got something in my eye.

• Return of the Geordi

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:14 PM

Steady Captain Amerimag, keep believing. The sale is happening, even Rafa said there was a sale going on but like the fans he was kept in the dark. There is to much going on and the silence is Golden. May the force be with you

• Markaccus

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:14 PM

Droppy

Had me and wor lass jumping around the house. Poor bairn didn’t have a clue what was going on ?

• hibbit

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:15 PM

just super glue every lock you can see around SJP easy

• Markaccus

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:15 PM

The ? Is meant to be a laughing face

• Bobbybee

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:16 PM

Chencel. In case you missed that I said yes I would.

Hibbett, I’ve said I’m with him on not boycotting. Not said I want to marry him. I don’t remember what he might have said before, I probably wasn’t on then was I? I’ve only been in a few years and I can’t recall him having a go since he came back. I have no idea what was said back then mate, I can only go on what has been said since I joined. He hasn’t insulted me unless I’ve missed something.

• Youcancallmealan

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:18 PM

Good luck to England women tonight

• toon22

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Sky will probably uplink via satellite , it’s going to end up with someone being on the wrong side of the law to interrupt it with a drone or the like
    It’s also just going to get passed off as a technical hitch

• hibbit

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:19 PM

passive resistance ……………super glue is your strongest weapon ………..maximum disruption minimum effort

• RobLeenio

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:19 PM

Just as Sir John Hall has been mentioned once or twice it’s worth repeating what Wayayman mentioned last night for anyone who missed it.

SJH has been advising a rival consortium to the BZG bid. They’re a bit behind BZG and are trying to catch up. SJH saying last night that BZG are trying to borrow money from all over the shop to get the deal over the line was nothing more than him throwing shade at the Bin Zayed Group for his own ends.

• toon22

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:20 PM

Maybe if everyone turns their backs for 12 mins that’s in the ground
    Easier to arrange than a boycott

• RobLeenio

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:21 PM

got goosebumps all over watching that Jonas goal again.

• hibbit

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:21 PM

Bobbybee
    he’s had plenty to say in the last 3 weeks mate and called the likes of you and me worse than shit

• Kamakazeee

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:22 PM

I’d imagine SJH would be in line for a nice packet if this group ever get their hands on Newcastle.

• Markaccus

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:22 PM

Alan

Despite the BBC pushing the agenda of “women’s football is better than men’s, agree or you’re sexist”, I have enjoyed quite a few of the games. Looking forward to tonight, I think they have a really good chance to beat the USA. The winner of the tournament will probably come from tonight’s game imo

• welshgeordie9

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:23 PM

Looking forward to the women’s football tonight, should be a good match.

• Tinman

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:23 PM

So the general consensus which I am coming round too is that Sports Direct is what needs to be targeted. Graffiti on stores? Stink bombs at store entrances? Sit in after closing time? Protests outside the store entrance? Social media smear campaign?

• #BleachTheLeech

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:23 PM

Ronaldo

That clearly never happened mate.

Fans protesting or boycotting never works….

Let’s just sit back and suck it up as another poster said earlier (yes really)

Jaw dropping.

Genj

Tbh mate, after being actively involved, or at least trying to be, the last time (ashleyOut boycott a few years ago v Spurs and Swansea) then it really shouldn’t of taken me this long to try something.

Not sure what I can do from here or if there’s any point setting up a group as I only know of one fan near me. I’ll ask the lad if he knows anymore localish mags tomorrow and hopefully he does.

My brother would definitely be interested but we’re 50 miles apart at the mo so meeting up would be a pain. I’m sure he’d do it for some form of protest either at Goodison or Anfield. I’d travel to empty trafford or the emptyad if something was arranged with the away fans.

Twitter is up and running now. Changed the name 3 times already lol. Not posted anything yet but started following a few groups.

• Bobbybee

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:23 PM

By the way, sorry for my shit gut feeling. I wasn’t that far out, he did want to sign. 🙁

• Tinman

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:26 PM

The standard of the woman’s football is shite. That being said I’ll still watch tonight and would take Bronze over Manquillo

• Bobbybee

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:26 PM

Must’ve been whilst I was in hospital mate. I usually pick up on insults! 🙂

• Brussels

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:26 PM

Rob
    Do you think that SJH feels any responsibility for our current predicament?

• #BleachTheLeech

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:28 PM

West lancs

Where abouts on the west lancs are you?

• Tatforsale Mikey

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:29 PM

Whoever said No News is good News……. We’ll it’s effing killing me

• Bobbybee

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:29 PM

Rob, thanks for the emails again. Twas a nice gesture and fully appreciated.

• Markaccus

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM

Tinman

Just imo, I wouldn’t say it was shite. I think a lot of people are so used to seeing the pace of the premiership that it makes the lady’s game seem sluggish at times, and it takes some getting used to.
    Youre right about Bronze, I’d rather sign her than Manq OR yedlin. Neither can defend for a start

• bettyswallocks

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM

If this takeover doesn’t go ahead then I think a mass pitch invasion will be a natural progression once the inevitable home thrashings become common place.
    In the meantime we need to disrupt games if a mass boycott is proving too complicated to organise. Throwing tennis balls or 100’s of balloons will help to ridicule the event as a sham non – sporting occasion as that’s what Ashlie has allowed outr matches to become .

• Youcancallmealan

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM

Royal Highness Sheikh Khaled will announce soon the takeover stay tuned to SSN

• Tony Baloney

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:31 PM

Brussels: where did you see that Arteta turned Arsenal down. All I saw was that he was interviewed and was a bit p!ssed off when they hired Emery.

• Tinman

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:33 PM

Markaccus it’s not the pace. It’s the simple passes which are misplaced badly. That’s a basic skill and is trainable whether you’re a woman or a man.

• Tinman

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:35 PM

England’s midfield remind me of an under 11s game. Why? Because there isn’t one

• Tony Baloney

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:35 PM

Saw it was really hot in Paris, the other day, like 35 degrees. Helps PNev with his tan apparently.