web analytics

Rafa Benitez Comments On Historic Project With Passionate Fans

The Chronicle have a report with Rafa Benitez’s comments issued on his website after joining Dalian Yifang. With the exception of commitment from the top, it sounds very much like he is describing the club he just left.

Below are some of the comments if his that we find interesting and relevant:

“The challenge now is to create the foundations for success both now and for the future. We know it won’t be simple as there are some big rivals, but we are confident that there is huge potential and great commitment from the directors of the club to create something great at this club.”

This quote sounded like something Rafa would say when first joining Newcastle up until the part about “great commitment” from the directors.

As it was the absolute apathy for success from Mike Ashley that has led to Rafa accepting this position in China.

“What I have found at Dalian is an incredible project that has arrived at the perfect time and this has been a major factor in my decision. We’ve accepted the challenge of leading a superb project with the full backing and confidence of the club’s leadership team.”

It is interesting that Rafa references the “project” at Dalian Yifang twice in the preceding statement. He also used the adjectives “incredible” and “superb” in describing the Chinese club.

Rafa had mentioned to George Caulkin that he desired a project at Newcastle but that it was obvious those above him did not share the same vision.

He also again mentions the “full backing and confidence of the club’s leadership team”.

“Dalian Yifang is an historic club in one of the most football passionate cities in the country, so this is an added attraction. Everyone says how loyal the Dalian fans are and we’ve witnessed this passion for the club from the very first moment. Without doubt coming to a club with such great supporters was another key in making this commitment.“

Remove the words Dalian Yifang and replace it with Newcastle United and this again sounds similar to what he said three years ago.

We are sure the Dalian supporters will grow to love Rafa Benitez as he is a world class manager and a meticulous professional.

He will be supported by a crowd in a stadium with a capacity of 61,000. However, he will find that it will be nothing even remotely comparable to Newcastle United.

Dalian Yifang was founded in 2009 and China does have a growing league with a lot of well-known talent.

However, it is not the Premier League and it is not Newcastle United.

We think Rafa will miss Newcastle but he has been forced to make this decision. And we can’t blame him for it but these comments do make it hurt that much more.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:35 PM

Re Dalgleish from earlier, you have to give him credit for being the only manager who’d telephone every fan that had been to the match and personally thank them for their support.

• Return of the Geordi

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:37 PM

Bobby I’m with you on going to support MY team. I’ve watched my team since the early 60’s and have watched some shit as well as some great memories, lived through bad time and good, but it never stopped the buzz I get from match days at the Cathedral on the Hill.

• Optimistic Oryx

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:37 PM

Hibbit

I’ve read what you posted regarding your tickets and it’s your choice, I’d never tell anyone what to do.

Over the last 4 months I’ve seriously considered getting a season ticket again after jacking it several years ago.

I cant explain why I feel the desire to go back now, it’s like a far off calling I cant explain.

I’m unsure of what to do, I have the money and my nephew is old enough to want to go regularly now and it’s been hard enough getting him to follow nufc the last few year, so I’m struggling to make a decision.

So I’m on the other side of the coin to you…

I know hes been here 12 year but dont make a decision you’ll regret based on the disappointment of Rafa leaving.

• The Sheikh'sMate

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:39 PM

O. O. @35….Too far, just too far

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:41 PM

Optimistic Oryx

Who is Tom?

Serious question.

• Novocastrian66

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:42 PM

I have chucked it and it was the hardest decision I have ever made. Painful. The most enjoyable and consistent part of my life outside of my family. I’ve made life long friends through following the Toon. All ruined by one man. I will not mention his name again.

• jimiley

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:45 PM

Local press is claiming the Arabs are going to make a statement in a day or so.
    What makes me think it will not be about having bought the club?
    I think it will say one of two things.
    The takeover is going well blah blah. No date will be given for the takeover so it can just drift and ultimately fizzle out.
    The Arabs will claim theyhad nothing to do with the departure of Mr Benitez. A likely scenario. Then we get a reposte from Mr Ashley “oh yes you did.” Then we get a contrived argument between the two parties and the takeover is called off. Funny that.

• Not your agony aunt

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:46 PM

Sheikh

Honesty is going to far?

This is the Nufc blog not Dear Deidre in the Sun!

People go on about not getting upset by what people say on here as we dont know each other so why would anyone want comfort or reassurance off the same people they dont know.

If you want sympathy it’s in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.

• martoon

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:48 PM

Optimistic @35 – I used to respect you as a decent poster but you’ve crossed the line with that post – it’s just plain nasty and you owe Tom an apology for it!

• Toonboi4EVA

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:49 PM

OO

Two days running now your speaking my mind on here… Keep it up, saves me posting 🙂

• NY Mag

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:49 PM

OP,

That post you just made to Tom earlier is
    Proof of why the fans will never be united.
    You weren’t debating a football point – it was a completely unnecessary post that was just pure nastiness.

Remember, after that you can never take the moral high ground against jib again.

• Dubs Left Glove

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:56 PM

Twitter is on chopper watch, apparently ashlie’s chopper is north east bound.

• RobLeenio

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:56 PM

Ashley’s chopper is currently just North of Durham, heading North having started off just near Chesterfield, apparently.

#chopperwatch

• RobLeenio

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:57 PM

Damn, Dubs. Too quick for me

😉

• Genjikai

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:58 PM

Robleenio your radar station must of been compromised.

• Not your agony aunt

Jul 2, 2019 at 12:59 PM

I owe no one a apology

Genj never mentioned anything about Toms wife but Tom dragged her into it, if he doesn’t want people commenting on it DONT post it

• stan anderson

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:00 PM

Billson,sback

Ashlie is a billionaire mate and still bleeding us dry.
    Mckean and Westwood were just well to do bandits.

ASHLIE OOT

• Tony Baloney

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:01 PM

Cattermole leaves the Mackems. He blamed his bad “form” on carrying an injury for 3 years. That would be it Lee and not because you are sh!t.

There’s an article in The Chronic about the Mackems having to slash payroll of 14 million. They really are in trouble. Not sure if the ownership questions have been resolved and the last thing I saw was they were haggling over price. It is amazing that the Mackems love Stewart Donald. It shows how stupid they are. He bought them with their own money – parachute payments – and now there is nothing left for day to day expenses.

in reality they had no choice but to accept Donald because Ellis Short wanted the parachute payments and Donald was the only one who would give them to him. He forced the league to accept him with a threat of administration. But Donald was always just in it for the money and how they were/are fooled by him saying a few nasty words about NUFC is beyond me.

Sorry, with the state we are in I needed some catharsis and thinking how the Mackems are still much worse off should do the trick.

• Novocastrian66

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:02 PM

Bill’s son, we were a better club and better ran in the late 60’s and early 70’s than now. No doubt. The club went into decline after relegation in 78. It took years to recover and the gap between the top two divisions was negligible in those days.
    One man is prepared to gamble with the club’s long term future because of his ideology and his fantasy football strategy.
    Stan Seymour jnr and the like had the club in their veins. That cannot be said of the present owner.

• Foggy Hall to Timbuktu

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:02 PM

Chopper landed after going over the training ground (and my house the twat) and has landed in Dinnington.

Showing someone the training ground?

• ChicoUSA

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:03 PM

Any news on Joselu transfer?

Return of the Geordi, do you still think the reason the transfer has not been finalized is because of the transfer window opening in Spain…?

• Pain in the Blog

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:03 PM

Optimistic Whatever #35,

“Tom… I couldn’t give a funk about your wife…”

You have shown your true colours there. I might agree that it was inappropriate for Tom to bring his wife into the argument but your comment was beyond the pale.

Are you proud of yourself? Because you shouldn’t be.

• Dragon64

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:03 PM

Is fat boy on it and if so what’s he up to now ?????!

• Sheikh Rafa

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:05 PM

Anyone got a rocket launcher handy?

• Return of the Geordi

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:06 PM

Hope Villa get deducted 9 points

“The Premier League are reportedly set to investigate Aston Villa after the club sold their stadium to comply with financial fair play rules.

The Midlands club, like a number of rivals before them, sold their stadium at the end last season in order to comply with the EFL’s profit and sustainability rules.”

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:06 PM

stan anderson

Sorry mate, you are wrong.

In relative terms the McKeags and Westwoods rifled more out of the club and did more damage over time than MA has done.

Those two left us almost penniless, on the brink of relegation to the old 3rd Division and almost without hope until SJH came along and bought them and their cronies out.

• RobLeenio

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:07 PM

Tony “It is amazing that the Mackems love Stewart Donald”

I was out with a mackem mate on Sunday night. The big reason he loves Donald is because he communicates with the fans. If the local / National press, twitter, radio or whatever starts a rumour, he squashes it flat or gives them the truth behind it immediately.

It’s something Ashley has never done for us.

• Dubs Left Glove

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:08 PM

Seen talk on twitter of a private plane landed at NCL too? anyone able to confirm?

• RobLeenio

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:09 PM

Foggy “Showing someone the training ground?”

Maybe

‘And over here we have the wheelie bins’

😉

• lochinvar

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:09 PM

Why would the chopper land in Dinnington when the airport is next door which is what airports are used for.

Or has it put down at Dissisngton Hall which is still in the ownershio of Sir John Hall or did he sell it ? It’s a hotel and golf course complex to be which is property development speak for lets build some mega stupid house for the silly rich on green belt as Darras hall is full. Guess who’s in charge of Ashley’s property company – his son.

Nothing should surprise us.

• NY Mag

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:10 PM

OP,

I enjoy your posts and quite like chatting with you,
    But to suggest that this is Toms fault for mentioning his wife – and therefore she becomes ‘fair game’……. Please just stop.

Anyway, I’m not gonna mention it again

• dig-n-dig22

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:10 PM

Jimiley47

Maybe you could win me over if you could explain why BZG just fancy doing a bit of tyre kicking and just want to p1ss everybody else off in the process.

• Return of the Geordi

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:10 PM

ChicoUSA The Spanish window opened yesterday so if it hasn’t gone through it’s for another reason

• Not your agony aunt

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:10 PM

99% of Tom’s posts are NOTHING to do with football

His posting was called out and he dragged his wife into it, no one else mentioned her until HE did.

Since day 1 Tom’s MO has been very little football loads of digs at posters and his life story.

Go check his posts and get back to me.

Call it nasty if you want, I wont lose any sleep over it.

Hes a attention seeking bore and it’s sad as funk hes using his wife’s illness to harass other posters who’ve called him out.

• Genjikai

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:11 PM

Rob,
    Mark the makem at work loves the donald apparently because hes the son in law or his something is son in law of the 3rd richest something.
    I cant tell you who he is or how he is related to this 3rd richest something because i cant stop laughing at it when he tells me.

• Sheikh Rafa

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:12 PM

Currently showing them the empty tins of Wilko Economy Satin Emulsion that they used to bring the training complex up to world class status.

• Toon44

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:12 PM

I would piss myself from laughing if our new manager who is an average manager that does well under Ashley if he’s still here.

• Toon44

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:13 PM

Put Rafa to shame that’s for sure.

• Return of the Geordi

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:14 PM

RobLeenio #70

‘And over here we have the wheelie bins’ no Rob it’s the cryo chamber recovery units