web analytics

Will Resignation At Sports Direct Affect Newcastle’s Summer Business?

The London Economic is reporting that one of Sports Direct’s chief lieutenants resigned effective immediately yesterday.

Karen Byers has left the sports retail company after 28 years of service. There is no word on why she has made this decision.

According to the report, she was highly valued by Mike Ashley and said to “runs Sports Direct” as well as being “glue that holds it all together”.

Mike Ashley, proving that he can speak when it suits him, had this to say about Karen Byers:

“Karen has been a very supportive member of the team for over 28 years and we wish her well for the future.

“The focus of the business as we move forward remains our programme of brand elevation, one that we are totally committed to.

“The door will always be open to Karen if she wishes to come back to the business as a consultant.”

We do not know if this was a surprise to Mike Ashley or if this departure has been in the works for some time.

The London Economic writes the following about her contribution to Sports Direct:

Her departure is likely to have a significant impact on the business, with current and former staff calling her a “workaholic” who rose through the ranks of the organisation.

We do feel that this is likely to shift Ashley’s attention even more away from Newcastle United. Sports Direct has always been his focus and was most likely the reason he bought Newcastle, to use St James Park as a billboard.

This could put the honus even more on Lee Charnely to produce this summer. And that is never a good thing. Though it is likely to have minimal effect.

• Chancel My MBembaship

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:08 PM

Rotonda – ‘Well they do say ignorance is blind.’

Just curious, but who says this? I’ve never heard that expression before in my life. Did you mean ignorance is bliss?

• Mister Tuff

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:10 PM

Had a funny converstaion yesterday with a fellow Toon supporter called Joe. Conversation went like this.

Q. Hi Joe what do think of Rafa going to China.
    J. Would never have believed it.
    Q Me neither. Do you think he went for the money.
    J. Probably but I’m not sure.
    Q Well I think he might have.
    J . Don’t think so you are only saying that because my wife has got cancer.
    Q Never mentioned your wife what has she go to do with it.
    J It’s because she’s got cancer isn’t it……
    ………………bla bla bla.

As a survivor of the big “C” myself, playing the Cancer card is not appropriate at all and playing it
    without any reason in the world is an insult to cancer survivors and sufferers.

Some of you boys need to re-tweak your compasses.

• Posh_Geordie

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Yikes. The infighting and viceral on this blog recently has me skipping a lot more comments than usual. The “you are not a real fan unless you agree with my point of view” is saddening.

We all need to do what we feel is best. I never have and never will stop supporting Newcastle United. But I will actively avoid spending any money that will line Ashley”s pockets. Any business in know he is invested in I avoid.

I still hope a take over goes through but my perception is you need two parties to make a sale and if the seller has no intention of selling no matter who the buyer is or how genuine they are no sale can happen.

Maybe he is asking for his advertising deal to be unheld after any sale. Which is a 100 year deal where all SD logos remain after a prepayment was made of £5 and a free mug.

• Genjikai

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Exactly mate.
    My earliest years the toon were purely belta.
    It made you so proud of the area you were from.
    It showed you you may not be the best but if you work hard you can get there.
    So yeah ashley destroyed the soul of what ive been brought up on.
    No wonder the younger ones below me are starting to support clubs form outside the region. Sickening.
    He needs to go.

• Not your agony aunt

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:14 PM

NY

I agree the fans will never unite, as the fans are quite the same as the posters on the blog.

Some are Nufc daft some have nothing else in their life and it’s a ritual.

Some would give up a day and others think why should I give up a minute, theres no happy medium.

Anything you really want involves sacrifice, what you’re willing to sacrifice shows how much you care about something.

If you’re willing to watch something you love systematically destroyed without making a stand do you really love it?

• Foggy Hall to Timbuktu

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:15 PM

Droppy/ Dubai

Chopper is on course for London. Just saying lol 😉

• Tony Baloney

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:15 PM

I don’t mind Geordie Tom’s obsession with toon22. I can understand him trying to balance the repetitiveness of the frog with his own repetitiveness. I think it is an “in-joke” that he has with himself, and whatever floats your boat I suppose. Not bothered about him talking about his hols either as it gets pretty dark on here sometimes. Optimistic Oryx was totally out of order.

Now the one I don’t get is toon44. He has nothing good to say about anything and slags off anything to do with the Toon. I am sure he is a Mackem WUM. But why bother? I wouldn’t spend any time on Mackem boards winding them up, I don’t really see the point. I am OK doing it on here just for a bit of fun and preaching to the converted.

So why, Toon44, why do you bother?

• Lovem or Hatem

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Maybe the chopper was picking up Charnley, so he can be there when the takeover happens

• NY Mag

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:17 PM

Micky,

Is that true?

I know it was only two class when they operated the A330 (I used to travel on them back in the day out of NCL once a month)
    But I thought once they switched to the 777-300ER it was theee class?
    (Admittedly, that was after I left the UK, so I have no personal knowledge)

• Foggy Hall to Timbuktu

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:18 PM

Lovem

Let’s say (hope) this does have something to do with the takeover.

I am sure Charnley would have to sign stuff off.

• kev1664

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:19 PM

Lovem,

Could be picking up charlney to sign off the paperwork etc. He is the only active director on companies house of a few of the Newcastle United companies….

• mickybraham

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:23 PM

is it true that there is three days of national mourning in UAE? the death of a royal family member?

• Tony Baloney

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:25 PM

I could be wrong but I think Tom was talking about his wife’s illness in relation to her wanting to go to Pompeii. Sort of like when a sick kid wants to go to Disneyland. I hope she recovers. If he was wanting sympathy then so what? Must be hard living with that every day, for both of them. I still think OO went too far.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:26 PM

Tony Baloney,
    If you can’t tell that toon44 is that numbskull welshgeordie9 then you certainly are no PC Murdoch.

• stan anderson

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:30 PM

Billson
    Sorry but I have my point of view and you have yours
    Not 1 for arguing over such matters myself
    It’s like arguing solves everything(not).

I attended matches from the late 1950s till Ashlie bought the club. After a few years I stopped going and it hurt me to do that but I twigged on that this slug of a man had f.all interest in the club except to make his millions from it and the fans paid for it.
    It still tugs at the heartstrings on match day as I am dragged around the shops

Let’s just agree to disagree.

ASHLIE Oot

• The mighty wyn

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:31 PM

Maybe when this is all over charnley will reappear as head of shite direct

• RobLeenio

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:34 PM

Lad from NUFC360 saying Ashley was in the chopper. Said he’s definitely in the North East now. Presumably the chopper is heading South empty.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:35 PM

I skimmed the Chronicle notes on the NUST meeting and there weren’t really any new ideas on protests. I am not surprised nor am I blaming anybody. As I have said before, I cannot think of how to shift the fat slug when he doesn’t want to be shifted. I truly don’t think he will be swayed by a boycott because he will not be there and I doubt he even watches us on TV anymore.

If there is a boycott, I have a suggestion. Hand out free Lee Ryder masks so if any children are considering being blacklegs then it would scare them off.

• NY Mag

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:36 PM

OP,

I understand what you’re saying, I don’t know why there is this constant “true supporter” toing and froing going on. It’s not helpful to anyone in the current context.

I stay out of such discussions because I have nothing (short of watching the games on tv) to give up.

It’s a real shame that we have many fans on here who have supported the club since before I was born and yet it takes a relative youngster in genji (and genji, I mean that in the nicest possible way) to try and drag everyone one the same direction.

I’m still believing in the takeover (simply because I would rather believe in something than nothing)

But, if that passes without any outcome we have to all come together and find a common way forward.

• IrishRob

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:36 PM

First class is not as common as you think. I can’t imagine there is any planes with first class flying out of anywhere except major cities like London Paris etc…

• Tony Baloney

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:37 PM

Jail: I skip Welshgeordie when he is on, so that might account for it. Thought he was a Mackem the way he goes on. My thoughts on “what’s the point” apply equally to him then.

• NY Mag

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:38 PM

Jail,

You beat me to it, it’s so obvious that toon44 is our friend from the valleys

• Genjikai

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:39 PM

Tony go read over the blog from last neet that you said cant be arsed to read over.
    You asked for comments they are all there from people who went.
    Btw i put across your true geordie shout and it go nothing room went dead.

• NY Mag

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:39 PM

Irishrob,

There nowt common about first class 😀

• Foggy Hall to Timbuktu

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:40 PM

Rob

He is saying that it left with him in it and possibly a passenger. We’ll see.

• hibbit

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:43 PM

here’s a number to think on from a very reliable source inside the ticket office,
    as of end of trading last night only 30%of annual ST holders had renewed, and the club have had hundreds of 10 year plan ST holders cancel,
    the advice given to me this morning was don’t rush to renew there will be an extension,

• The mighty wyn

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:44 PM

If he was on it maybe he’s come up to tell his wonderful employees about the takeover or who the new interim head coach/kit man/ cleaner is going to be
    Let’s hope it’s his last ever trip up here !

• Munster Mag

Jul 2, 2019 at 3:21 PM

Jail, i want him out as much as anyone. But fans telling me they wont even accept players being purchased or a manager chosen by Charnley – do you think that acceptable ? Im not telling people to go to the ground. Or buy the shirt etc. As for Rafa’s choice of club. Well, all I said was that he wasn’t considered attractive to the truly big boys any more, particularly in England, and you objected to that, incorrectly again. But then you objected to anything that wasnt positive about rafa, largely because you cant think in more than one dimension. And you have no idea re tactics or football. And believe me, if Barcelona snapped him up you wouldnt leave it too long to slag me off, joined by a few halfwitted friends. So, if you guys want to trot off and play golf, and never support NUFC again under ashley and arteta or whoever arrives, good luck to you. I know its crap and i didnt want to lose Rafa either, but I cant give up supporting this club, although i appreciate its only from Ireland.