web analytics

Chronicle Writer Gives Update On Manager Who Has Interest In Position

When it was confirmed that Rafa Benitez would not be returning to Newcastle, a slew of managers were linked with having interest in the vacant position.

One of those was former Feyenoord manager and ex-Netherlands captain Giovanni van Bronckhorst.

This is what van Bronckhorst’s agent Guido Albers said last week:

“I think the rumors come a little early. No one from the club has spoken to Gio. But I think every trainer in the world is interested in the Premier League.”

“Of course he would like to work at Newcastle if that opportunity arises. is a great club with a great fan base, but it’s up to them who they go for”

The Chronicle’s Lee Ryder has tweeted an update to his interest in the position.

Van Bronckhorst managed Feyenoord for four years and decided to leave the club at the end of this past season. He led Feyenoord to the Eredivisie title in 2017.

While it looks like Roberto Martinez is currently Newcastle’s main target, there is growing doubt that he would leave Belgium to take the position and work under Ashley.

While van Bronckhorst was successful at Feyenoord and also a great leader on the pitch, his lack of experience is a concern if he were to become Rafa Benitez’s successor.

• Tsunki

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:11 PM

Captain Amerimag gravitates to Stardy like the moth to the flame ha ha that’s not the sun little winged thingy!

• Tsunki

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:13 PM

Yes jail you have slipped up there allow me to correct you. The category that Perez falls into which allows him to be sold is the “Players from Tenerife with more than one “Z” in their name” category. You really need to keep up. 🙂

• Slatymag

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:14 PM

A latex caricature mask of MA to put on the football SBR has his foot and a banner with his “what is a club…” quote would be an irresistible photo for the press.

• Tsunki

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:14 PM

Bobbybee was that question about knowing match day fans for me? If it was I have an answer.

• Shot Bru

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:15 PM

Fat Sam to take charge before the season starts is my guess.

Selling Perez proves the takeover has failed..or more likely was never gonna happen at all

The whole scam of a takeover was to get rid of fans favourite Rafa, who had too much power for Ashley’s liking.

• Nova

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Hi RobLeenio,

The UAE flight from the other day is leaving in an hour or so heading to – Luton

• Tsunki

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:18 PM

If Fat Sam was appointed I think that would qualify as the winner of the “what’s the worst Ashley can do” compo. Hiring the guy he fired straight off would be the clearest indication of all there was no way out of this repetitive cycle of despair. Doubt it will happen though tbf.

• Genjikai

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:21 PM

Ashleyout group have been contacting local bars and restaurants up to organise discounts and happy hours during match time for ticket holders.
    Its getting traction boys.
    Its happening ,its happening .

• lochinvar

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:23 PM

harry conkers
    Jul 4, 2019 at 1:05 PM
    If the takeover hasn’t been announced by Monday, I’ll eat my left testicle.

You’ll get arrested for that.

Walk this way please sir

• #Don’tBuyTheShit

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:24 PM

Where’s jib with his it’s happening GIF haha

• Shot Bru

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:24 PM

Dunno Tsunki…Ashley gets Wise on the case to persuade Fat Sam with a $6 million rolling contract.

The bloke has never been relegated, give him 50-70 million to secure prem safety.

Pundits love him, good for PR

Keeps the ST holders onside as the chances of staying in the EPL are pretty good.

His son is an agent, happy days all round as far as Fat Ash is concerned

• Rob1971

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:24 PM

From Twitter:

The Right Toon
    ?
    @RightToon
    22m22 minutes ago
    No BZG statement today. It’s 5pm UAE time. As well, it’s the end of their work week…so can’t wait to do this all again next week.

Sick and tired of this mess.

• Nova

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:25 PM

Twitter has cottoned on to the flights to Luton

• Bobbybee

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:26 PM

Wayaymen, are you f**King stupid? I’LL PUT IT IN BIG LETTERS FOR YOU. I DON’T WANT TO GIVE UP MY ST BECAUSE NEWCASTLE TILL I DIE MEANS EXACTLY THAT DUMMY. How stupid are you not to have got onto that already? Its a CLUB in case you hadn’t noticed. I don’t give a flying f**k what you think. What exactly do you contribute to NUFC? Not a thing. So why you crying? It’s not your money is it? “Boo hoo, I want to win something”. Because we’ve won loads in the past, right?
    This is what you don’t get. It’s not all About winning. If it was, there’d only be a few clubs in the league. And only one league.
    If winning was that important, you picked the wrong team matey. Too many of our ‘fan’s’ failed to do due diligence when they jumped on the KK train. Picked the wrong horse to back.
    I don’t drink. My choice. How would you like it if I came on here bleating about how much you piss up the wall? What a waste of money. But I don’t. Because its your money to waste how you see fit. How I spend mine has got nothing to do with you. How many times do you need this spelling out? You want me to stop going, doing something I enjoy, to please someone who only ever watches on TV, who will still watch on TV. You people are so arrogant it’s unbelievable. Am I asking you to go games? I don’t even want you there. Mass hysteria. Attempted bullying, ha ha ha. Mind your own business ffs. Who do you think you are? Don’t tell me what I can and cannot do.

• Nedders

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:26 PM

Luton landing is likely to be for Mike Ashley’s home destination (LTN – Barnet is 30 mins), hence why it shows up quite a bit.

Switzerland? Could be money, lot of offshore cash in Switzerland.

• RobLeenio

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:26 PM

“Fat Sam to take charge before the season starts is my guess”

ShotBru, that’s not a guess, that’s thinking of the worst possible scenario and writing it down. If Sam Allardyce is appointed again, I’ll join in on the testicular self cannibalism.

Considering which manager will be appointed or which players we’ll sign is irrelevant unless and until the fat slug sells.

• NY Mag

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:28 PM

Wayayman,

I know your an activist and I’m sure you’ve done more than most with respect to action against Ashley.
    Given your previous posts, I’m also pretty sure you’re a smart guy.

Arguing with long time fans such as Bobby does not further the cause, it detracts from it.

You said only a couple of days ago that you and your group didn’t care about notoriety – so why try to force your opinion on other people?

This whole, ‘you can’t be a fan unless you think like me’ is absolute bollix.

Fans can be anything they want to be.

Dictatorships never work….if you want people to join you…..hearts and minds mate

• newcs

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:29 PM

Bobby bee go support Sunderland… you’d fit right in… they also enjoy failure

• toon22

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:31 PM

Yeh NY mag

Don’t protest ?

Hiya

• Shot Bru

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:32 PM

Robleenio

forgive me..I thought this was an open forum to express views and discuss, like yourself and others do.

• Just a fan

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:33 PM

It took a while but I’m starting to warm to bobbybee.

• TomaKaThor

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:33 PM

Its unhealthy supporting this joke run club, looks like anotther dayy with nothing, now we can start with there will be an announcement tomorrow. Groundhog day.

• newcs

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:34 PM

Patriotism for the sake of patriotism is just ignorance and selfishness. As I’ve said previously the whole Newcastle till i die argument is redundant. If you were happy watching dross you’d support your local team or worse… Sunderland. This club has great history and hopefully a great future but that’s a risk at the moment unless there is change. If someone blind patriotic supporter can’t see that then so be it… I want my son and his kids to be proud of his club and his fellow supporters.

• c-dog

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:35 PM

Big Sam is the perfect manager for Ashley’s business model

• Jib

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:38 PM

If Sam Alardyce is appointed I’ll eat Mr Tuff’s testicle !!!!!

• Jib

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:39 PM

and probably Jail’s as well

• Toonboi4EVA

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:41 PM

So, who isn’t giving fat mike their money again this season?

• RobLeenio

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:41 PM

Shot Bru, no offence meant, I was just trying to say it’s never going to happen in a million years.

The second part about it being irrelevant was just the same as I’ve said a few times now because, well, it just is. I’ll never try to stop any kind of free flow of conversation.

Anyway, apologies if it came across the wrong way. It’s an emotional time for us all.

• Bobbybee

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:41 PM

Newcs, you’d be better off there pal, plenty plastic fans down the road. Ever been to SJP? Know where it is? Idiot

• gillmag

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:42 PM

Yep, Big Sam – he’s done Ashlies bidding before and was then sacked as he was utterly crap.
    Also the same Fat Sam who was filmed discussing breaking FA rules with Daily Mail reporters who were undercover.
    Yep hell fit right in with this bunch of rogues..again

• dig-n-dig22

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:42 PM

I think the fat tw@t may realise he has gone too far this time. He is doing his best to convince us all we are about to be sold, but the fans aren’t buying it.If fatty pulls the plug on the sale, the fan’s will be even madder so he may have to bluff it out and go with very thin squad and Redfearn until Christmas, we could be well and truly sunk by then. if we are relegated this time the fat tw@t had better prepare for a long stay.

• RobLeenio

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:43 PM

Oh, and well said NY Mag, saved me the effort. I’ve had this conversation with Wayayman before.

• TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:44 PM

NY Mag,
    The club released a statement saying the release clause. Are there any league rules binding the club to be accurate in that statement? If the club wanted to shift blame from them being greedy, to perez or foxes, they could just blame the release clause was triggered.

• Mindshaft

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:47 PM

There will be no announcement tomorrow , it’s a day off in middle east

• Stardust

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:49 PM

He’s already got my season ticket money. If there’s no takeover before first game I will ask for money back. If I can’t get it then the seat remains empty in support of protestors.
    But that ain’t happnin because very soon we will be rich

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:50 PM

Dignitas is in Switzerland

Just saying.

• dejiuor

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:50 PM

If Sam Allardyce is the answer, what’s the question?

• Bobbybee

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:50 PM

Newcs, you don’t get it. You never will. I’ve supported this, club since I was a bairn. Home and away. When there was less than 10k, I was there. We’re you? Not a chance. Selfish is demanding people do as you say. You haven’t a clue what being a fan is about. You go watch your local team. The fans there are like me. If we end up in the Conference, I’ll be there. You wouldn’t. Go support City daft lad. Can’t recall any ‘great history’ in my lifetime, remind me? Arrogance. You think I’m the only one who’ll be there next season? Tell you what gobby. Go stand outside SJP and start calling everyone names as they go to the ground. No? Why not? Idiot.

• kev1664

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:52 PM

If announcement is takeover is on it’ll be done from the UK. Probably with the new owners standing there. It wont matter what the time is in Dubai.

If its deals off it could be announced any time.

• jimiley

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:54 PM

Some fans are just brain dead and programmed to go to matches. It is pointless debating with them. They would still be going in 10 years time under Ashley and the club in the Conference.
    Its best to just ignore them and leave them on their own in the ground with their flat caps and peanuts cheering on the team while Ashley waves his wads of money at them.