web analytics

Chronicle Writer Gives Update On Manager Who Has Interest In Position

When it was confirmed that Rafa Benitez would not be returning to Newcastle, a slew of managers were linked with having interest in the vacant position.

One of those was former Feyenoord manager and ex-Netherlands captain Giovanni van Bronckhorst.

This is what van Bronckhorst’s agent Guido Albers said last week:

“I think the rumors come a little early. No one from the club has spoken to Gio. But I think every trainer in the world is interested in the Premier League.”

“Of course he would like to work at Newcastle if that opportunity arises. is a great club with a great fan base, but it’s up to them who they go for”

The Chronicle’s Lee Ryder has tweeted an update to his interest in the position.

Van Bronckhorst managed Feyenoord for four years and decided to leave the club at the end of this past season. He led Feyenoord to the Eredivisie title in 2017.

While it looks like Roberto Martinez is currently Newcastle’s main target, there is growing doubt that he would leave Belgium to take the position and work under Ashley.

While van Bronckhorst was successful at Feyenoord and also a great leader on the pitch, his lack of experience is a concern if he were to become Rafa Benitez’s successor.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:49 PM

I think the Fatman might be needing the money from a NUFC sale to pay for his Department Store gambles. I was downtown Chicago yesterday and it is really busy. What was dead was Marshall Fields/Macy’s, the oldest Department Store in the world. There were about 5 people in there. Unless Ashley is a true genius he is going to take a bath on these investments.

I always thought it was a property play and to turn them into multi use – bars, restaurants, flats, offices but he doesn’t own the buildings.

He should sell NUFC NOW because he might need the cash to cover his losses.

The other thing he better be careful of is his core business. Sports stores come and go. Think Dixons and Lillywhites. Amazon is eating everybody’s lunch and Mike needs to go on a diet anyway.

• toon22

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:51 PM

Tony it’s likely we’re the only thing making him money atm
    Why sell when he has assists that arnt ?

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:51 PM

If Perez had been sold and they immediately announced the signing of Jolentino or whatever he’s called you’d think well done, excellent business. But we haven’t got a manager, we can’t apparently buy anyone because of a sale that’s been dragging on for nearly six weeks. The club in their wisdom will probably think they already have a replacement in Muto, purple wise the squad is as packed as it needs to be, we’ll bring a striker in on loan and I’m afraid that could be it this summer.

• BENNY 10

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:51 PM

@Arizona

On the point of Ashley not wanting to see his investment fall in value with relegation etc. Someone said the word fire sale yesterday when the new of Ayoze leaving broke and that stuck a major cord with me. It’s definitely not beyond him to liquidate the whole club for some other venture he has planned.

• toon22

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:52 PM

He is using us to exploit the money in football

• Toonces

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:52 PM

Easy for people to say Perez wasn’t worth the 30M Leicester have paid now that he has gone but we would be hard pressed to find a replacement for him at that price ready to step up to a season in the Prem.

Wolves just paid 28M for Jimenez after a 13 goal season. He’s 28 going on 29, not likely to get much better and had struggled in Portugal before joining them on loan last year. But he did well for them.

Perez scored 12 for us, is 25 and likely coming into his own. He has his faults but he has certainly improved over the last season. Think Leicester will see the next stage of his improvement and he will have his best years for them unfortunately and not us.

• RobLeenio

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:52 PM

Bobby, it is mate, but only certain Muslim countries practice the Friday / Saturday weekend. The Arab World mainly, plus maybe Indonesia?

Anyway, Malaysia is defo Saturday / Sunday weekend.

It also fits with the report that catering was being switched to Hallal at SJP, btw.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:53 PM

I said the accounts were in good shape because Ashley had spent 2 years building them up after relegation and giving Rafa nothing to spend. Don’t twist my words Frog.

I also said that for this reason NUFC were in a good position for anybody wanting to buy at the moment. Again, Frog, do not make things up about what I said.

• MarkBro

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:53 PM

twotonearmy

Thats exactly what he wants, a self sufficient business to advertise his chatty benefit clobber.

He has no desire to see us winning.

Ironic that hes in the business of sportsman
    d

• willowdalerez

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:54 PM

So now some are tracking flights… Muhahahahahahahaha. That desperate lads? What next one of the itk’s knows a gypsy lady reads tea leaves outside Haymarket says the deal is definitely on lol?

So no news except Perez is gone and we’re promoting 3 from the u23s. Ashley’s minding the purse that’s sure. Right I’m off for now with the “bold” prediction we get Redfearn for 2-3 more weeks followed by the “Ssurprise” signing of one of Moyes or Bronckhorst because they are the only 2 I can think of who will actively jump at the chance.

Hey though plenty to look forward to we still have Joselu!

Ashley’s making muppets of all of us.

• Genjikai

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:54 PM

Tony its all you bang on about he called me a shill, she called me a shill, the frog called me a shill.
    Alot of people calling you a shill.
    Is shill a cricket term?

• RobLeenio

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:55 PM

WLtoon, that’s why I said ‘mystery’, no idea, just a hunch. Probably all sh!te, honestly, but time will tell.

Defo don’t set too much store by it, I’m just tossing ideas around really.

• toon22

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:55 PM

Tony

Couldn’t have put my point over better if I tried

Cheers. 😉

• MarkBro

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:57 PM

…and winners. Winning to be the best while he just wants profit.

• toon22

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:57 PM

We profit it’s MA
    When his taking money from us gets us relegated he loans us the money to get promoted, and expects us to pay it back

But I’m sure you don’t mind any of that lol

• toon22

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:58 PM

Let’s bicker and swear at each other for a while
    It helps keep people away from protests

• Munster Mag

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:59 PM

Redfearn could be very possible ( eeek!) if the sale doesnt happen but I still feel there are coaches in Portugal etc who are innovative and could do a job for us but Charnley has no idea who they are and probably no contacts in the game to access them. Van B might be ok, if as Bobby said he is used to managing with lesser resources. In the meantime we just have to pray that a sale happens. I’m pretty sure if it was dead in the water, BZG would have said something.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:59 PM

Neil Redfearn is interimming.

Ha ha ha

So is Lee the tea but in a different way.

• WLtoon

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:59 PM

Foggy
    Yeah, totally agree, i respect everyone,s thoughts and ideas of why there is no takeover but this one seems different.
    Yes ,its dragging on a bit , but there are quite a few things which seem to tie together.
    IF this deal does go through ile celebrate as tho ive won the lotto,, though i doubt ile remember it 🙂

• Tony Baloney

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:59 PM

And… some are seeing a glimmer of hope in messages from pundits on Mid East TV. Does anybody know if these people have any credibility or are they the Arab equivalent of TalkSport with some decent people and others who are rent-a-gobs. DubaiMicky? any thoughts?

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:59 PM

Robleenio,
    When you were at band camp did you and your chums tell tall tales and try and guess if they were real or not and you thought they were all true?

• Ashley be gone. O.O

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:00 PM

Theres been some bollocks wrote on here over the last several weeks but claiming we couldn’t replace Perez for £30m takes the biscuit.

Average at best, you could replace him 3 times with the money we got, we wont but we could.

• stan anderson

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:00 PM

You carry on BobbyBee prop up the regime as long as you can get there.
    I spend my money on more interesting things.
    I have the same T Shirts as you attendance wise,thick and thin you know stood among the 12000 die hard with half the stadium demolished.
    I didn’t take long to see the slugs zero ambitions for success and called it a day.
    The teams were not good to watch and like my dad said to me decades ago the fans will support 11 Black n White shirts on a line. So true.
    Mugs and been made bigger Mugs by this cnut of a man.
    AshLie Oot.

• Munster Mag

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:01 PM

Bobby, if you want to keep your season ticjket, fair enough fella. I just hope that if we need to boycott Arsenal, you will row in with that. I’m sure Sky will be pressured to have a Bellamy/Wise/ Rio character on to stick up for ashley if the protest happens. Silly NUFC fans demanding Europe etc…

• BENNY 10

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:01 PM

@Toon22

He’s using us to exploit the money in football

If the club is his profitable asset and his others are not why would he sell it?

Both very convincing arguments as to why he wont sell…imo

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:02 PM

Bobbybee,

Do yourself a favour and, like me, leave this crap blog.

You’ll never persuade the half wits, idiots, arrogant to$$ers and snowflake so called fans to ever consider a point of view that differs to theirs.

They think debate is something the missus puts in a plastic box.

Even the posts by Ed and Neil are becoming more and more sensationalist, full of regurgitated half baked rubbish and rumours purely written to play to the crowd and stoke up the madhatter posters even further.

Just leave this crap to fester among themselves Booby.

• Munster Mag

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:02 PM

Tony, all ok ?

• Toonboi4EVA

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:02 PM

No takeover news, but at least the blogs being kept nice and lively tho, as usual.

I’m pretty sure the only site, where people (some) think there’s a takeover, is this one. Doesn”t that tell us something? Are we feeding it in its entirety? Serious question.

I want a takeover as much as the rest, but I don’ t see it, at all.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:03 PM

Erm… Genjikai: in the last 5 minutes I have wondered about Ashley’s Department stores and Mid-east TV so I don’t think you are right. I have been called a shill so many times on here I might be a bit sensitive now. You may as well join in.

Anyway, I said what I had to say about the Frog.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:03 PM

Munster Mag,
    Used to managing with lesser resources in a league where everyone has lesser resources. He’d be coming to the PL where Leicester who were in League one when Mikey bought us have just spent 30M on a striker. GVB would be coming here to have his players picked by Lee Churnley.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:06 PM

Genjikai: I wouldn’t be starting a career in stand up comedy if I were you. Not here to fight. I have said what I wanted to say about the sale even though I am more confused than ever as to whether it will happen.

• Bobbybee

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:07 PM

Benny, look at other clubs who’ve boycotted. They haven’t shifted their owners and they’re damaged beyond repair. Coventry haven’t even got a ground now. They might go out of business completely.
    Was last season that bad like? I thoroughly enjoyed it. And the season before. We’ve got a really bad owner, but that’s Sky’s fault. I would happily go back to pre Sky, but Sky attracted leeches like Ashley.
    It’s not all about winning anyway. We’ve not won nowt forever. Where does this sense of entitlement come from? We came close a couple of times – but even SJH wasn’t good enough for some on here. A man who rescued us from oblivion, is accused of being a bad owner.
    You don’t get it, that’s fine. I love going to games. I honestly can’t understand people who don’t go, but that’s me. We’re all different. You won’t drive Ashley out, not whilst the Sky money keeps going up. He’ll go when somebody gives him 350m and I can’t do that!
    I could understand all this abuse if I was the only one going, but I’m not. There was 52k at the last game there. OK, some might give up next season, but not that many.
    Right now, we could still be taken over, or get a decent manager in. We don’t know yet. I always say, wait and see. And who’s to say the next owner won’t be just as bad? Sky money is causing this, not me.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:08 PM

Munster. I am fine. I have read this blog for years and know what happens sometimes with the pack mentality.

• WLtoon

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:23 PM

Robleenio
    Just wondering what Midhat meant when he said the takeover was still happening but in a different way. The Malaysians were mentioned a while back mind, so were the French,and apparently only one has pulled out.
    Apparently there are still 2 in the mix.
    Alot of apparently,s i know, simply bcos there are,nt that many facts forthcoming.

• Geordie-john

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:32 PM

Silence and massive profit player sales from Fat Lad GREEDY COCK-ney. How many supporters out there are daft enough to contemplate renewing their season tickets never mind actually doing it ?
    He is a roach and would probably survive a nuclear attack if it were to happen, However we need to get rid of him ASAP. Let this be the last season that he makes massive profit on players and club.
    No players bought so far. Manager less, When we had the best of the best and he wanted to stay. Younger up coming players brought into the first team to allow the rest of the world to see what we have for sale next season. Not to mention the money from TV and position finished last season and now £30M for Ayoze Perez out top goal scorer AND No Rondon.
    How much more does he have to do before we react ???

• Moonraker15

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:28 PM

Well they can’t recruit a new 1st team coach without telling him what’s going on with the takeover. Anyone worth anything would want to know before accepting the post.
    So I reckon they won’t recruit and the caretakers will carry on. A sale is imminent; didn’t Rafa say he didn’t know who would be owner in future?

• Moonraker15

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:31 PM

Can’t believe they haven’t signed Rondon! Incredibly stupid blinkered management by fatso!

1 4 5 6