web analytics

The Sun’s Claim Of Bid Rejected For Mainz Forward Is Misleading

The Sun have just published an article that L’Equipe have reported of a Newcastle bid for Mainz forward Jean-Philippe Mateta. The issue is that the L’Equipe article they are sourcing is from June 9th and has already been widely reported.

In June, we did an article of Newcastle’s supposed bid of between €20-€25M for the excellent French striker. The Sun are now reporting on this old report from L’Equipe. The link they post in the article even brings up a June 9th article from Sports Witness about L’Equipe’s report.

While we think Jean-Philippe Mateta is definitely someone Newcastle should try to bring in as he is very talented, we are very skeptical that any bid has been lodged.

He was, in fact, reportedly keen on joining Newcastle last summer before joining Mainz for £9m where he had a decent first season in the Bundesliga.

This is what was said about Mateta last summer:

“Mateta is understood to be keen on making the move (to Newcastle), and Newcastle are keen, but as are a number of rivals – with the likes of West Ham, Leicester and Everton also expressing an interest.”

We find it hard to believe that Mike Ashley would sanction a high bid of the reported £35m it would take for Mainz to sell the striker after he was available for less than a third of that amount last summer.

• damma99

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:54 PM

The main giveaway to me about a non takeover is why are they looking for a manager who meets the right credentials to fit into their transfer policy. Surely if it was being sold they wouldn’t give a rats arse

• OneAlanShearer

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:54 PM

Dubai mag, any update on the takeover?

• Australian Pie

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:55 PM

Tony mate, do some yoga and relax that mind…. you have so much stress it’s overflowing through your phone to me.

Can we please just discuss the club and football on here. Couldn’t give 2 plops about any of your personal bickering.

If any of you get so triggered about what Newcastle blog posters say please stop reading and read a self help book.

• Mindshaft

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:57 PM

So from last season we are 4 players down

Rondon
    Perez
    Kennedy
    Diame

Funny that we promoted 3 players from U23 – guess thats the squad fully staffed then especially given that Colback is like a new signing

• supersholamackemslayer

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:57 PM

Geordietom apologies btw

• supersholamackemslayer

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:58 PM

This is something I found. Probably WUM’s from the lad who video called Midhat.

• Markaccus

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:59 PM

Shola

To be fair if I am describing somebody I have talked to, I would deffo use any distinctive attire as a starting point. Obviously certain religions have distinctive look compared to average British locals.
    Obviously, if I was in a region full of Sikh people, I am not going to say “excuse me, I am looking for a bloke with a turban”

• Prestonmag66

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:59 PM

Edited version: Tony, what gives you the right to demand an explanation? You’re just another poster on a blog. You’re not the Spanish inquisition (no-one expects the Spanish inquisition
    ? ) neither are you in any way any form of police. We have heard you, so let it drop buddy.

Happy now?

• toon kk

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:00 PM

I know I’ve said it before but the only way MA will be removed from the club is by an empty SJP. It’s for the long term good of our club.
    Fair do’s if MA suddenly gets the right manager in and spends big time, otherwise you’ll be paying for the privilege of watching us getting beat most weekends.

I find it amusing at the amount of fans that are fed up with Ashley but put money in his pocket.

• supersholamackemslayer

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:01 PM

Fair play Markaccus. I’m probably sensitive because this bloody takeover takeover is getting on my wick now.

• geordietom

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:01 PM

Shola …

he talked utter bull shit mate …

hospital was chocka had to listen to his ramblings . i got Alan Shearer’s captains arm band at southhampton ect ect . for 2 solid hours …

• willowdalerez

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:01 PM

@Minsdshaft “unny that we promoted 3 players from U23 – guess thats the squad fully staffed then especially given that Colback is like a new signing”

Enough to give me the shudders.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:01 PM

Aussie: I think your lot will win it all.

• Prestonmag66

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:02 PM

It is like on Game of Thrones. You know what you’re going to read before you read it.

• Markaccus

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:02 PM

Shola

I should add I’m not looking to whinge at you, I thought I’d offer another perspective as to why someone would mention a person’s religion.

• willowdalerez

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:02 PM

Anyone who follows the U23s are any of the lads promoted able to make the jump now to the Prem and do a job to help keep us up?

• Genjikai

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM

Nope

• Mindshaft

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM

anyway it’s another day of no news unsurprisingly…. well apart from 7 arabs taking a blacked out taxi from the airport to somewhere or other and Baloney crying because Micky wasn’t right and Bobby saying he had been persuaded by people on here and elsewhere to boycott the Arsenal game and see where it goes from there.
    Tony – you need to stop shopping with your sister https://twitter.com/SlowSlownews/status/1146802210141102080

• toon kk

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM

I wish people would stop banging on about the potential takeover, its a con ffs.

• Tinman

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM

What was the name of that old itk guy on Twitter m. Just for nostalgia. Colin somebody? Crag or something

• Markaccus

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:03 PM

Shola

Yeah it’s got everyone on edge. I genuinely think there will be trouble if the takeover fails.

• geordietom

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:04 PM

fresh off the press Kevin Nolan and Joey Barton to become joint managers/ coach .be in all the rags in the morning …

• Markaccus

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:05 PM

Tinman

Colin Harris I think

@cwarr07 was his tag I believe

• hibbit

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:05 PM

damma99

i don’t no if the takeover is on or off or has every been a possibility , but how are you so sure this bunch of liars are actually looking for a manager ????

• NY Mag

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:05 PM

Lesh,

From earlier….my apologies for hoodwinking you, I thought you would have realized I was jesting after all the crap that was being spouted last night 🙂

• willowdalerez

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:06 PM

new one Ed’s on a roll

• Muz

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:06 PM

They’re not looking at any managers. Everything you read in the paper or online is pure speculation.

Ashley didn’t make any real attempt to keep Benitez and he knew he’d walk. Knowing that, you’d think he’d have someone in the pipeline to immediately step in. A manager big enough to potentially ease some of the crowds anger but one who was spineless enough to do as he’s told. There isn’t anyone waiting ready to come in and no one really wants the job.

Fact is, he’s beyond caring and even if he did care, he’s going to find it next to impossible to appoint one. It’s another reason why I think he’s off. It’s just not his problem anymore.

• Tinman

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:07 PM

That’s him. Cheers Markaccus.

Anyway I reckon that’s what this Dubai radio guy is doing too. Unsubstantiated cryptic statements that if he gets lucky he can claim he called.

• geordietom

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:07 PM

Shola NP mate …

• Tony Baloney

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:08 PM

PrestonMag:

Update from DubaiMicky:

“I live in Dubai and so know everything about here. Takeover of NUFC is on mate, know it for a fact, heard it from my dentist. Stay tuned as it will happen tomorrow or the day after. Or the day after that. I am sure of it”

3 weeks later…

“yes, the dentist told me it will be tomorrow and THAT RAFA WILL BE MANAGER”. Not off to China, no way.

Believe me. He’s a dentist and they know everything about football, Dentists.

• hibbit

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:09 PM

Craigcosy was the other one worked at the jesmond dean house hotel

• supersholamackemslayer

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:09 PM

Bloody hell Colin. He was a right joker.
    I swear it’s getting on my wick. I just want to know either way.

• WLtoon

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:10 PM

Does anyone think there is something in the 2 planes at Luton ? maybe another coincidence?
    Any plane spotters on here who can enlighten me ?

• premier league

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:13 PM

i will be going to the matches next season

• naptoon

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:36 PM

Yvonne

• Moonraker15

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:38 PM

Sky Sports predictably reporting Kevin Nolan’s interview on Talksport by Ray Parlour. Ironically, Parlour has been highly critical of Ashley on previous programs!

• Bobbybee

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:46 PM

It’s fair enough, but let me give you a history lesson.
    60s, huge crowds. But we were decent then. Early 70s, ditto. I don’t count the 60s, because my grandad, who lived in Morpeth paid. He died in 69. You only truly become a fan when it comes out of your pocket. Before that is, just training. @In 71, I had two paper rounds and spent it all travelling from Richmond to watch the lads. First game Spurs, we won 3-1.
    73, joined the army apprentices, near Aldershot. Rare weekends off, I’d travel up, home or away.
    76 left, came back to Richmond. Home and away, rarely missed unless it was for good reason.
    84, moved to Byker. Home and away still. 86, moved to Nottingham, then Keighley then Chesterfield in 91. Home and away, distance no object.
    By 2011, health issues were making the 320 mile round trip really hard. So I had a choice. Stop going, or move. Thankfully, our lass understands so agreed to move. Left friends and her family to move to a village where we knew nobody, so I could carry on going to games.
    So, when people are telling me if I carry on going to games, I’m not a real fan, I kinda get annoyed. Hence, as you call it, my zillion word rants.
    In the 80s, they weren’t real boycotts. Crowds dipped to 9,10,11,12k, but when we signed Keegan BOOM. Ditto when Keegan came back as manager.
    I don’t blame people for not wanting to watch shit, but I stuck it out. I’m a dyed in wool, 100% committed epitome of what a real fan is. I never stopped, no matter how bad it got. Not a real fan? Stfu.
    So when this shit with Ashley happened, I had my defences up. I moved when Ashley was charge remember. I didn’t care. NUFC came first. And why should I quit, when 50k others weren’t quitting?
    But then this with Rafa happened. But, bear in mind, I was still in the mindset of defending myself against fans who never go, telling me I’m not a real fan. Is that too hard to understand? I get angry over it – as you know.
    But last night I did some real soul-searching. I took a step back from being defensive. Looked at the bigger picture. It’s not about us being shit, it’s a boycott to rid us of a parasite. Tens of thousands are quitting – or so they say they are. Not because we’re shit though. We’ll see.
    Just missing one game after all this time and effort and struggle is horrible.
    So of course I got angry people telling me I’m not a real fan – and they shouldn’t say it to others, either.
    So now we see. If Hibbett and 25k others can quit, I need to support them. But if all this is just talk and people carry on going, I’ll go back. If 40-50k keep going, why should I quit? Im breaking up decades of support for what?
    That’s why I kept getting annoyed. Why I was so stubborn. You don’t get anywhere insulting people. It just gets their back up, as it did mine.
    And if you still don’t get it, jog on

• Tele

Jul 5, 2019 at 7:32 PM

Black cloud at it again on Twitter

• captainmarvel

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:06 PM

It’s the Bobby Robson thing with You Bobby I get it. It’s got nothing to do with who owns the club it’s much bigger than that it’s the history it’s the great players the ground it’s not the Seymores McKeag the Ashley’s it’s that small boy climbing the steps… Respect…