web analytics

Another English Manager May Soon Be Linked To Newcastle

The odds are being slashed for Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder to become the next boss at Newcastle. Though we can find no concrete link with the 51-year-old Sheffield man.

Wilder has done extremely well at Sheffield United bringing them back to the Premier League for the first time in over a decade. He also took over the club just three years ago when they were mired in a five-year spell in League One.

Wilder began his coaching career at Alfreton Town in 2001. He then moved to Halifax Town, the last club he had played for, in 2002 where he replaced one Neil Redfearn who was acting as their caretaker manager.

He moved on to Oxford United in 2008 when they were in still in non-league football in the National League. He did guide them up into the Football League before taking the helm at Northampton Town.

While at Northampton Town, Wilder got them promoted to League One in his second season with the Cobblers. He was also the manager there when Newcastle bought striker Ivan Toney in August of 2015.

Chris Wilder– very good at getting teams promoted

He then joined Sheffield United who he has guided all the way from League One to the Premier League in a very short period of time.

We are not sure if there is any interest in Chris Wilder or if he would even entertain leaving Sheffield United having just brought them into the Premier League.

We don’t really think this would be a great appointment for Newcastle who need an established top-tier manager to come in and get the fan base excited again.

We respect Chris immensely for his rise from the lower leagues all the way to the Premier League and look forward to seeing how his Sheffield team perform this year. We just don’t think he would be a good fit at Newcastle at the moment.

Though with Lee Charnley having just returned from his European meetings with contacts and agents of foreign managers, maybe his return home can explain the change in the odds.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:30 PM

toon22,
    Like what I said earlier, I think he does have a plan, between him and Churnley imo they honestly think they know what they’re doing, they realised they screwed up with McLaren but need the next Pardew who managed not to relegate them for four years. Although in my post to Lilongwe I still can’t suss why they are going about it this way?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:33 PM

Loch,
    It was pretty much always Coming Home for me, but when I was missing the Toon, it was always Jimmy and Big River.

A few beers, I’d normally have been travelling for 24hours and had had to stop drinking… yet somehow, life kicked back in once you can look up to Low Fell, and down to the river.

• beefman13

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:36 PM

Mmmm so. Benitez wasn’t ever going to return to the club as he was not given cart blanche on transfers, plus he thought he was worth more than 6m a year rising to 8m With reached bonus targets, coins in the air on that for me,
    and HE was only prepared to extend his Contract yearly.
    Why havnt we put another manager in place? what, pay off the rest of his contract and start another managerial contract with another manager, not happening is it, we know they generally sign players at the last min to save wages, there that evens my post up a bit.
    But money WAS defo a factor for Benitez, it just was.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:36 PM

Jib is pretty smart but is losing it with age. It is not difficult to spot.

Oldrase is Abe Simpson.

JFA was never that bright to start with.

Dubai Mickey Mouse Club is just, well, full of Mickey Mouse statements – proven over the last 2 weeks. And he doesn’t even back up his own statements anymore.

• toon22

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:37 PM

Jail

Probably

• captainmarvel

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:39 PM

I don’t think they have a plan at all, Ashley isn’t interested in NUFC he’s only interested in the brand as for Charney he being the lowest paid chairman in the Premiership says it all just another of Ashley’s lackeys…

Still believe in the takeover though..

• Scholesy

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:40 PM

Lilongwe

Completely agree. Although never lived in the north east. My entire family was from there. A lot of the traditions, food etc have been part of my life growing up. My wife and kids go up to Northumberland every year and we got engaged there. Always feels like I’m home when I see the bridges. Love the city, people, the area and most of all the club. As has been said people south with no affiliation to the club or the area know nothing but feel like they can comment about us being deluded. Well they can fcuk off. I was speaking to a Reading fan outside St James before a game he said what he likes about Newcastle whenever he was in Newcastle you never see anything but black and white shirts. That’s the pride in our city and club. Understand that Mr Ashley.

• lochinvar

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:43 PM

Lilongwe
    Wouldn’t it be great if we could put Ashley and co on a train back to London , not that he’s likely to be here again to do that unless it’s to sign the contract to sell the club which for that moment he’s welcome before he’s given his one way ticket out of here. Tarra.

• Shadow_Shearer

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:49 PM

Does anybody else think Ashley wants Dawson and redfearn to take over the first team, so there will be more attention to recruiting youth players, rather than spending money on transfers.

It’s like when pardew left carver was in charge and Ashley wasn’t in a hurry to get rid of him. But these guys have had alot more time with the youth players. Certainly sounds like something Ashley would do to save money. Or should I say steal money from the club.

• Shadow_Shearer

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:52 PM

Also forgot to mention Dawson and redfearn wouldn’t be demanding money to spend on players. They would just be happy to be in charge of the first team.

Ashley prob just waiting for the to play a few games in the season and then announce they will continue to resume control

• Mister Tuff

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:54 PM

Jib Baloney – give it a rest.

• toon22

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:54 PM

He has no clue or simply don’t care that opinions have changed
    We’re not falling for another 5 year plan
    We’re not stupid enough to sit back and watch him bleed the club dry any more

We are sick of him, his lies, his apologist and everything he stands for

It’s over

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:56 PM

Loch,
    He can use whatever mode of transport and go to wherever he likes provided he signs away his ownership and never darkens the cities streets again. I’ll give him a piggy back to anywhere on the globe if he sells and promises never to return…

• toon22

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:57 PM

He thinks he can somehow roll back time
    We’re somehow happy to have Carr making him money on french wingers again
    With Pardue mk 2 manager

He’s delusional

• NY Mag

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:58 PM

Lilongwe,

Piggyback to anywhere on the globe – you must have some stamina mate 😀

• toon22

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:59 PM

The longer he stays in his delusions the worse the outcome for the both of us
    Him and our team

I think most fans are long past caring

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:00 AM

Whoever they drag in as manager is going to be where Pardue was in the end probably within 5 games

Unable to leave the dugout at home

That’s if there’s a crowd there at all by then

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:01 AM

No amount of PR is going to change that

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:02 AM

Hope left with Rafa

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:04 AM

I’m sure all of our amazing away support will lap up being mugged off and shafted by MA

I doubt we will get 100 people at away games

Home games the team and the manager will become something they dread

But hey MA will have made s profit

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:05 AM

Shadow,
    If we appointed a strong and well qualified and experienced DoF, Dawson would be right up there as one of the better appointments we can make. Redfearn…. Maybe not so much.

• Sheikh-en but not stirred

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:17 AM

@ Tony bullsh*t

You are really just a bellend! Not sure what if is?? Look it up

@Ed and Neil can you not just block him?? What a boring wum he is! Just constantly talking the same rubbish…

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:17 AM

Lilongwe,
    Who is going to appoint, brief and outline our footballing strategy though? It’s Lee Churnley, we know how it works now. Carr, Pardew, Carver and McLaren wouldn’t tell us, when, in the past we couldn’t get PEA, Bony, Remi etc etc etc etc, it was because we couldn’t get them over the line, we now know as we all suspected that they kept going for the cheapest option. PEA 18M went for 63M, Van Dijk 11M went for 75M the list is endless, what we have made on transfers has cost us in relegations.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:18 AM

Sheikh-en but not stirred.
    Ignore him, he will get bored, you’re feeding him.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:18 AM

NY,
    Not sure any of my ex’s would agree…..

• Shadow_Shearer

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:18 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

I’m not suggesting we appoint either. I’m suggesting that clueless may be about to do this.

• stan anderson

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:28 AM

Please take the photo of fist pumping Rafa down as it only confuses me more and i cant take much more.
    ASHLIE OOT

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:37 AM

Just read the Mail article and it seems to be direct quotes, I can’t understand why he never announced at least within a week why he wasn’t signing and why they have taken so long, unless they honestly can’t get anyone, I’ll be more surprised at why Rafa never told us than why Moyes, Pulis, Hughes won’t come here tbh!

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:39 AM

Lilongwe,
    If the mail quotes are true why do you think Rafa has kept us in the dark?

• NY Mag

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:43 AM

Jail,

That doesn’t tally with the quotes from Rafa when he said that he was surprised that the club made a statement that he would not be staying. Seems like there is opposing quotes (as always) going round

• RobLeenio

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:44 AM

Evening all, been a long day of music and good times in the dark place to the South. Highlights were Peter Hook and the Stranglers with a fantastically hilarious DJ set from Bez, lowlight was the queues for the bars….

Have I missed much today? Any movement on manager, owners etc?

• NY Mag

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:46 AM

Rob,

I don’t think there is anything new 🙁

• RobLeenio

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:51 AM

Cheers NY Mag. Tomorrow is another day (and the first day of the Arab working week). You never know.

• NY Mag

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:54 AM

Rob,

I hope I’m wrong, but I really wouldn’t expect any big announcements on a Sunday

• lesh

Jul 7, 2019 at 1:08 AM

On Rafa not saying he’d be off, bear in mind that Charnley and Ashley were confident he’d re-sign and they were taken by surprise when he didn’t. Imagine it – ‘I’ve had enough, I’m off’. ‘Say nowt and I’m sure we can persuade you to stay’ says Charnley.

I’m sure Rafa wanted to stay but Ashley wouldn’t give any ground.

• beermonkey

Jul 7, 2019 at 1:11 AM

jail

I think they want pards
    String out the sale for another week or 2 claim tyre kickers say they couldn’t get the manager they wanted cos buyers took to long

Bring in pards because short of time claim.it’s only temp until sale after Xmas claim he has done a great job in tough circumstances and give him a 3 year deal

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 7, 2019 at 1:12 AM

Robleenio

It’s been relatively quiet.

Weird arguments over Nottingham

Lots of speculation on managers/players

The creature from the basement chewed through its restraints but appears to have been neutralised again.

Oh and Lee Charnley is now a boiled egg.

• NY Mag

Jul 7, 2019 at 1:15 AM

Oh….I forgot about the boiled egg – classic 😀

• lesh

Jul 7, 2019 at 1:16 AM

And……. On the theme of coming home, when I was young and daft, hitching around the country my coming home moments were two:

The first, nearly home at Wetherby roundabout then Birtley and Low Fell. After that a walk over the Tyne Bridge if necessary and it was always a good feeling no matter the weather.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 7, 2019 at 1:20 AM

Lesh

There’s just something about the bridges. Even if I am down on the quayside I stop and look at them.

Of course the cathedral on the hill too, one day I will be back there.