web analytics

Newcastle Set Massive Price On Local Lad Sean Longstaff

Sky Sports are reporting that in the wake of an imminent Manchester United bid for Sean Longstaff, the club have set the asking price at £50m. This is double the amount that Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had reportedly sanctioned for the local midfielder.

This is what Sky Sports is reporting:

However, Newcastle insist Longstaff is not for sale and Sky Sports News has been told he will cost Manchester United more than the £50m they spent on Wan-Bissaka.

If this is true, this is exactly how Newcastle should react to any approaches for the young midfielder. If Manchester United are reportedly willing to pay £25m for a 21-year-old who has only played in nine Premier League games and is recovering from a serious knee injury; then it would be best to hold on to the youngster for the foreseeable future.

While some may think this approach is ludicrous, Sean Longstaff means much more to this club than a typical player.

This is player who only last month talked so highly of playing for Newcastle United. This is what he said in early June when asked about the link to Manchester United back then:

“It just shows how far I’ve come. If someone told us at the start of the season that by the end of it you’d be linked with these teams I’d have laughed at them but it’s nice, it’s flattering. I’m massively flattered to have my name even mentioned in those conversations but like I said, I’m 100% focused on Newcastle and trying to get fit and get back in the team here.”

He went on in that interview and while acknowledging the flattery of being linked with a club like Manchester United, he unveiled what his true dreams were:

“For me it’s nice to be have said about you and be linked with top clubs but for me, this is what I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve always wanted to play for Newcastle and I’ve only had a little taste of that so for me, it’s about getting fit as soon as I can and getting back on the pitch for Newcastle and making more memories of the future.”

When asked if Newcastle remained his focus, he said what we all wanted to hear:

“Absolutely. I think I have dreamt of this from Boxing Day to the day I got injured – I dreamt of that month since I was a little boy. Three months isn’t enough. I’m not satisified with playing nine games, I want to play as much as I can and do it for a full season.”

Keeping hold of Sean Longstaff this summer is a must for this club. The loss of Benitez was a shock and has been very hard to absorb. The thought of watching Ayoze Perez put his fingers in his ears at King Power stadium is also something that will be uncomfortable.

Sean is local and he is extremely gifted. The thought of him playing for Manchester United this summer would not only compound an already appalling situation on Tyneside, it would possibly throw many supporters over the edge.

It is imperative that this club fights to keep this player. There is no need to cash in on him now. The club is not in any sort of financial difficulty. If this club were to accept a less than ridiculous offer for a player who could be the lynchpin of the future, then it will be curtains for this club this season.

We hope that this report is true and that Newcastle have told Manchester United that Sean Longstaff is simply not for sale.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:47 AM

It’s one thing to price him out of the market, it’s another thing to hinder his development. If we are to hold onto Longstaff, then the club needs to have a top coach to bring him along and a decent side for him to play in.

• NY Mag

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:48 AM

Droppy,

I still have 500 comments to plough through, so least you’ve given me something to look forward to 🙂

• one fine day

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:49 AM

Newcastle have said ?
    He is not for sale ,but if he was its 50 mil ?……other than that no comment
    You seriously cannot make it up with this club .
    So wraithe on board and NUST becomes the Julian people’s front!

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:53 AM

OFD

The Julian people? Ha ha ha

NY

You’re welcome.

• woodey

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:53 AM

Tony troll, who is the hypocrite?

Tony Baloney
    Jul 6, 2019 at 12:52 AM
    You are all hypocrites.

Tony Baloney
    Jun 16, 2019 at 12:45 AM
    Online Guy is always picking a fight with somebody and then claiming he is not picking a fight.

• RobLeenio

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:54 AM

Cheers lads, once more the night shift points the way to how the blog should behave.

Lilongwe, cheers mate – it had been bothering me, so thanks for being so magnanimous.

Off to bed, happy in the knowledge that Neil managed to squeeze one more article into his holiday weekend schedule and all is well chez Harrison. It’s a good one, too!

• willowdalerez

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:55 AM

Wow came back from dinner with the wife and been catching up on the blog.

Tony clearly still lost it over Bobby… Well Bobby said he’d boycott 1 match and if the others didn’t and the crowd was 35k or more he’d be right back so his call Tony deal with it.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:56 AM

Nicky

I agree, the lad was excellent under Rafa.

Fat man needs to either sell up or get a top coach to quell the masses.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:57 AM

As a 50million Wan Bissaka, a potentially 80million Harry Maguire, and a 1.75millilon Joselu suggest, 50milliom for Longstaff isn’t pricing out of the market.

Didn’t Villa want 50million for McGinn? Chelsea wanted 20millilm for Kennedy.

50million for a player who performed with maturity and class in his first 9 Prem games, English, and a all round centre mid?

50million sounds a good price, if they back their staff to get the very best from the potential he has – something that people always overlook.

Clubs who believe in their staff, their methods and their delivery of the development process will always be willing to pay a little more for potential as they back themselves to get that little bit extra.

Man U would back themselves and could see 50million as not too outrageous.

• willowdalerez

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:00 AM

What bothers me about Ashley most is I don’t get him!

With Rafa and the few things Rafa asked for (small change to Ashley) he had the nucleus to build us into a top half team, gain the love of a city (and its supporters like me from away) and see the valuation of his investment soar!

But nah he wants the small change pocketing 30m selling Perez, the hate of the supporters and to look down the barrel of relegation again doing in the value of the club.

It’s piss poor business judgment. He’s a tight pr*ck and I’m convinced he gets some pleasure out of sticking the screws to us.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:00 AM

£50m is a great price, we either keep the lad, which we’d all love

Or

He goes and even the blinkered muppets on Sky can’t ignore any lack of spending this time.

• one fine day

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:02 AM

Here’s a purely hypothetical but horrible scenario …
    How much was Kenton short ?100 mil?
    Maybe ash has said ok let me sell off some of the family silver to get my coin back while letting everyone believe the Arabs are close.
    But we anounce the sale a week out from the home game thta will the daft Geordies back and oh yeah I still own the badge and the shop .
    That bloody car park at the strawberry ? Look we can talk about that down the track …sign here !

• NY Mag

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:03 AM

Goodnight Rob,

Don’t be mixing too much with those mackens tomorrow mind 😀

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:03 AM

Willow

100% agree.

MA seems to get some sick pleasure out of sustaining chaos, he peddled the one man uniting the fans for trying to ride the wave of optimism on to better things.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:04 AM

Fun night again!

G’night all

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:05 AM

OFD

I was hoping to sleep soundly, that’s a horrifying thought. Mainly because it’s so plausible.

• one fine day

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:07 AM

Droppy,
    Lol
    The joys of auto correct
    Judian peoples front but you knew that anyways
    Steve wraithe ..”we will stand up for the right of every man …..oh sorry reg ..and woman to go the match .”…

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:07 AM

Willow,
    Ashley will have had the numbers crunched, and the value of the club increasing isn’t worth the risk of outlay to move us forward.

Europe doesn’t provide any additional advertising opportunities for SD and his other companies, so why bother? There isn’t anything attractive about additional spending at the price point MA would go to, and there is no guarantee through investment of increasing the clubs value or the advertising audience sufficiently for it to be worth while.

Could you stop thinking like this is anything to do with a competitive football club please.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:07 AM

Colback might prove useful this year, not as a regular of course, but as 5th choice in that midfield and left back cover. The onus must be on bringing in 3 quality attackers first and foremost, then a left back and central mid. Colback may survive, and he’s not a bad player, combative, can pass, runs around and he’s naturally left sided, so possibly useful as cover. Longstaff, Hayden, Shelvey, Ki SY, Colback or even Saivet, not bad so long as you’ve got quality in attack, and of course we continue to have decent quality in defense.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:07 AM

EGB

Night.

Can we expect another episode of Lee and Mikes adventures in stupidville soon?

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:10 AM

OFD

I long for the day Wraith says “from now on I want to be Loretta”

• one fine day

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:10 AM

Well we all know Ashley is the stuff of nightmares

• one fine day

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:12 AM

#21
    🙂 🙂

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:14 AM

Nicky

I can’t see Hayden staying and never really rated Colback in any way at all.

The nucleus is there but you’re bang on, we need goals in there.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:17 AM

Right chaps it’s getting hard to read through my eyelids. I look forward to reading your musings later.

Highlight of the day.

‘Charnley can’t be trusted to sit the right way around on the toilet’

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:21 AM

Nicky,
    2 attackers and a left back. Next would be a centre mid. A lot depends on who the manager is to be, let alone the owner….

If we had ambition/new owners, KIeran Tierney of Celtic would be my first buy. Since spending time up at Celtic talking over partnerships, Tierney has been high on my radar. He is better than Robertson, but needs to move to push himself and fulfill that. He should have gone last year, must go this year for himself.

The attackers are more difficult, as that is far more dependent on the system and style of the manager. I’d still have a look at Roofe from Leeds, Wolf is off to Leipzig sadly, Puscas and Hagi, and then Waldschmidt from Freiburg.

I know it is controversial, but I’d take a punt on Welbeck if his wages are reasonable. Dolberg of Ajax seems to have gone backwards in the last year or two, but as an option who can play several roles along the front line would be an interesting option.

All utterly hypothetical and hot air until we have clarity and a manager so we have a better idea of his style.

• lesh

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:22 AM

Longstaff’s off I’ve no doubt. Ashley’s set the asking price and then’ll negotiate down.

However, when it comes to selling the club, Ashley sets the price he wants then starts to negotiate up. What a greedy, evil git he is.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:24 AM

Lesh,
    Ashley can be accused of a lot, but when has he willingly sold a player on the cheap? Willingly, had a good season.

• lesh

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:34 AM

Fine, Ashley’s given some of the young guns contracts but the way he seems ready to sell from last season’s squad, we’ll be lucky to have enough players to form a squad for next season.

Ashley could do the the decent thing by the fans and spare us from years of pain and ask the leagues to allow Newcastle United to be fast tracked to the third division.

• lesh

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:42 AM

Lili

Your questions a fair one but the point I was driving at is that he sees players as saleable commodities and he’ll apply what are normal selling tactics – ask for a number and negotiate down to the level the seller’s acceptable price. But when he’s ‘trying’ to sell the club, he sets out to his asking price then demands more, overpricing it. He doesn’t want to sell the club.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:44 AM

OLG,
    Did Fenton not do us in the cup the same year or following year as well?? Haha, I was youngish at the time, and hated him for it. Completely irrational, definitely more the idea of one of ‘us’doing us over and seemingly getting so much out of it!!

• lesh

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:47 AM

Lil

If Ashley wanted to keep Longstaff, he’d set a price of £100m. But given the state of the club now, the lad would want out and play accordingly.

• NY Mag

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:47 AM

Leah,

I have no idea whether he wants to sell the club or not. However, I’m pretty sure he would sell if the price was right (what that price is, I don’t know)

• NY Mag

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:49 AM

Lesh,

Have the club set a price on Longstaff? I’ve not seen one

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:50 AM

Lesh,
    I think certain players would leave under normal sales tactics. Probably couldn’t believe their luck on Perez. Players like Shelvey, Lascelles would probably go under normal sales practice. Longstaff I think would be at a premium.

A young English central midfielder with potential, and Man U potentially picking up 100million plus for Pogba? If he is as much of a priority to Solksjaer as some media says, then Ashley will push to the breaking price point.

Shame selling the club can’t just run under normal sales tactics…….

• lesh

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:50 AM

Lili

I’m shattered, too tired to chat. Take care.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:52 AM

Lesh,
    I’m not saying Ashley wants to keep Longstaff, but I think he knows he can push this price up, rather than selling low. Also, I think he probably knows Longstaff won’t kick up a fuss, and would likely just cement his value, rather than it fall.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:52 AM

Lesh,
    No worries. Take it easy mate.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:54 AM

I think we actually need 4 quality attackers Lilo, to replace Perez, Rondon, Kenedy and Joselu, also yeah a left back and centre mid, ideally. Maybe Murphy can stake a claim for the Kenedy spot, but for sure we need to replace Perez and Rondon effectively, and bring in better cover than Joselu.

We get all that and a decent manager, then we are reasonably placed to compete for around tenth. It’s possible if Charnley can get it together because we will already have our targets. We need a decent manager in place for the tournament in China. You give him something that decent to work with then we can be alright on the pitch. But to me, those 3 attackers are critical.

We really don’t want to be anywhere near the bottom, if we are to get our wish in a new owner.

• NY Mag

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:57 AM

Nicky,

Time is starting to run short now though. Isn’t the squad leaving for China next Saturday?

1 2 3 6