web analytics

Newcastle Set Massive Price On Local Lad Sean Longstaff

Sky Sports are reporting that in the wake of an imminent Manchester United bid for Sean Longstaff, the club have set the asking price at £50m. This is double the amount that Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had reportedly sanctioned for the local midfielder.

This is what Sky Sports is reporting:

However, Newcastle insist Longstaff is not for sale and Sky Sports News has been told he will cost Manchester United more than the £50m they spent on Wan-Bissaka.

If this is true, this is exactly how Newcastle should react to any approaches for the young midfielder. If Manchester United are reportedly willing to pay £25m for a 21-year-old who has only played in nine Premier League games and is recovering from a serious knee injury; then it would be best to hold on to the youngster for the foreseeable future.

While some may think this approach is ludicrous, Sean Longstaff means much more to this club than a typical player.

This is player who only last month talked so highly of playing for Newcastle United. This is what he said in early June when asked about the link to Manchester United back then:

“It just shows how far I’ve come. If someone told us at the start of the season that by the end of it you’d be linked with these teams I’d have laughed at them but it’s nice, it’s flattering. I’m massively flattered to have my name even mentioned in those conversations but like I said, I’m 100% focused on Newcastle and trying to get fit and get back in the team here.”

He went on in that interview and while acknowledging the flattery of being linked with a club like Manchester United, he unveiled what his true dreams were:

“For me it’s nice to be have said about you and be linked with top clubs but for me, this is what I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve always wanted to play for Newcastle and I’ve only had a little taste of that so for me, it’s about getting fit as soon as I can and getting back on the pitch for Newcastle and making more memories of the future.”

When asked if Newcastle remained his focus, he said what we all wanted to hear:

“Absolutely. I think I have dreamt of this from Boxing Day to the day I got injured – I dreamt of that month since I was a little boy. Three months isn’t enough. I’m not satisified with playing nine games, I want to play as much as I can and do it for a full season.”

Keeping hold of Sean Longstaff this summer is a must for this club. The loss of Benitez was a shock and has been very hard to absorb. The thought of watching Ayoze Perez put his fingers in his ears at King Power stadium is also something that will be uncomfortable.

Sean is local and he is extremely gifted. The thought of him playing for Manchester United this summer would not only compound an already appalling situation on Tyneside, it would possibly throw many supporters over the edge.

It is imperative that this club fights to keep this player. There is no need to cash in on him now. The club is not in any sort of financial difficulty. If this club were to accept a less than ridiculous offer for a player who could be the lynchpin of the future, then it will be curtains for this club this season.

We hope that this report is true and that Newcastle have told Manchester United that Sean Longstaff is simply not for sale.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:57 AM

NY,
    I’m sure he’d sell the club. I think all the difficulties in this sale come from which companies constitute the club.

It’s broken in to do many companies, that I’d imagine that buyers think their 350million is lock stock. They then find out when discussing the detail, that certain companies that have been formed by separating operations and departments of the club, aren’t included and would be a separate purchase and additional cost.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:03 AM

Ashley will sell Longstaff if a high enough bid comes in, but the manager whoever that’s to be and Charnley won’t ideally want to at all, even at 50 mill, because we’ve already got a lot of business to get done as it is. I suppose the same goes for Hayden, unless he’s got a release figure to trigger, he’s likely now to have to honor his contract.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:05 AM

Manager first, then the players NY, but yeah it needs to start happening now, or we have another Ashley fiasco on our hands.

• NY Mag

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:06 AM

Lilongwe,

I have to be honest…I think this whole broken up into different companies is A bit of a myth (but I’m happy to be proved wrong)

• Spellcheck

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:09 AM

What a load of baloney, more pastrami please.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:09 AM

Nicky,
    I thought I’d mentioned 4 attackers – Waldschmidt, Roofe, Puscas, Welbeck (Dolberg should we miss out on Waldschmidt or Puscas). Miss out on Welbeck or Roofe and rather than Dolberg, I’d want someone with Championship or Prem experience.

I’d love Hagi, but that’s more to do with his dad being one of the best players I saw live when I was younger/ever. But he does have that touch of magic. We’d still need a more disciplined midfielder to come in, probably more senior and experienced to help manage and guide the younger players, and provide a base to build from.

Left back, well, unless we are taken over, it won’t be Tierney. Not sure after him, Ritchie did well at wing back, and as much as Dummet gets stick, we’d be hard pushed to buy better on an Ashley budget.

• Spellcheck

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:14 AM

Gerrard’s the man for the job, If Lampard has it in him to think he’s up to standard at the Premier League level, well in my humble opinion Gerrard could surpass that. Sanchez??? How many clubs has he done nowt at….

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:15 AM

NY,
    It definitely isn’t a myth that it is all spit out into different entities. What is pure speculation on my part is that the club is being sold piecemeal. It was something I had been told, but I’ve no idea how the person who told me would know, just Chinese whispers. They probably saw someone suggest on the Ronny comments section….

Do you think that it is Ashley moving the goalposts each time that it fails then, or no serious bidders? I don’t think it is a huge stretch to think he would want to keep merchandising, which is tied up in SD. Or have fine print on the advertising. If he would do that, is the rest of the separate entities that much of a stretch?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:21 AM

Spellcheck,
    By all accounts, Gerrard spoke to Rafa about taking the Rangers job. If that is true (and even if it isn’t) I’d fully expect him to speak to Rafa if he was considering taking the job here. Would Rafa reccomend a challenge such as this ,to a person I’d think he considers a friend, when Gerrard is still cutting his teeth?

He might, but I’d imagine Rafa’s pragmatism would tell Gerrard to stay at Rangers, where glory could yet await, rather than us, where it is a chance at ‘immortality’ if he pulls it off, but a graveyard/back to square 1situation if he doesn’t.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:23 AM

Lampard has a free hit this season with the transfer ban and his status at the club.

• NY Mag

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:25 AM

Lilongwe,

Sorry, I should clarify – of course there many many companies under the NUFC umbrella. But they were all inherited by Ashley. There are only two companies that are active :-
    Newcastle United football company limited – which essentially is the club

NUFC.co.uk which is for tv / media / internet rights

Everything else is dormant.

• NY Mag

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:30 AM

Lilongwe,

Sorry – missed your second question

I have no idea whether he moves the goalposts or not, a few people have suggested that’s his normal MO – that would not surprise me in the least.
    You’d have to think someone in the higher echelons of the legal profession would be wise to it by now. After all there are only about 6 or so legal firms that are always involved in these deals

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:36 AM

NY,
    As registered under NUFC or a variant of that. But buy anything from the club shop, and your receipt is for Sports direct. Catering and Hospitality is all separate from the club. The merchandise may be just contractual, as a pose to a different company. The catering is a different company though, I’m fairly sure on that.

Given how entwined he was in Rangers merchandise after being a shareholder there only briefly, who knows what legal hoops or penalty clauses any buyer may face when buy-ing the club with no strings.

Which company owns the club crests and badge? (On this one I’m not sure, I’d been told that the crest and badge were registered with Mash, but I would be very surprised if they had been taken out of a NUFC company)

I haven’t looked anywhere near close enough to state factually how the separations are registered, but there is far more to it than just 2 corporate entities making up the club, or what would normally be considered ‘the club’.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:44 AM

NY,
    Kenyon never seemed to get that close, not did Stavely. Given BZG’s prior statements, if Ashley moved the goalposts and it fell through, surely that would be made public, either officially, or through back channels. I’d imagine a second failed attempt to take over a Prem club, done in the public eye, wouldn’t show them in a good light. Surely they would clear that up of it was Ashley?

I wouldn’t put it past Ashley to move the goal posts,but on this one, I’d expect a statement to that effect if the case. They’re in too deep to not make a statement one way or the other, and the NDA will only cover sensitive information, not them speaking on why it failed after the event.

• NY Mag

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:51 AM

Lilongwe,
    I understand that a lot of the non football operations are outsourced (in fact I think they all are)
    But outsourcing is not ownership, it’s simply a franchising agreement.

Catering/hospitality is ran by Sodexo (who also run Brighton’s and evertons catering)

As you say merchandising is ran by sports direct (however I don’t know what the deal is as it’s never been made public)
    All I’ve been able glean over the years is that sports direct run the club shop, the club pay a facility (fixed) fee for this and all revenue goes back to the club.

Online sales are different and there is some kind of percentage deal (I don’t know the details)

All the trademarks and IP for the club is and always has been owned by Newcastle United football company limited (believe me I’ve checked)

The only things that have been ‘taken’ away from the club are various pieces of land / property (again I don’t know the specific details)

• NY Mag

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:55 AM

Lilongwe,

I would expect a statement either way.

Staveley did go public and gave several interviews after her bid collapsed. Said she made three bids (I think it was the telegraph or times printed the details)- TBF I wouldn’t have have accepted any of her deals (if the details printed were correct)

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:01 AM

NY,
    As far as the land and property goes, it’s largely irrelevant in this sale. It was a club asset that was sold and is no longer an asset. Whether we got market value is another matter, but again, not relevant to the sale as is.

How the other revenue streams are run, contractually, as separate entities, outsourced is important for any sale agreement.

If this isn’t an issue, then BZG are tyre kickers, or Ashley has moved the goalposts. Surely given there public statements, if Ashley had caused the deal to fall through then they would want to say?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:03 AM

NY,
    Yeah, Stavely did her interviews and the reality was Tyre kicker was closer to the mark than moving goalposts.

Kenyon just seemed more speculative than anything else.

Hopefully something gives soon, hopefully it’s positive. It would be nice to come on a football blog and it be mainly football…..

• NY Mag

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:12 AM

Lilongwe,

You’re right of course – clarification.of revenue streams is important for any sale.

I still live in hope of a takeover (the Huddersfield sale only just went though and it was announced early May and presumably was a lot more strightforward than ours)

The footy chat will come once the season rolls around.
    I Agree, we need something positive to happen

• Captain AmeriMag

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:35 AM

Wow what a refreshing read that was! A balanced and respectful exchange of opinions on the takeover situation with no playground insults and self indulgent whining. I actually read every comment without having to skip past certain avatars entirely! Good stuff gents, when we finally get the announcement we need we can all unite and have these chats on transfers and tactics, you know like football stuff on a football blog!
    Can’t wait, come on BZG!!

• Our Toon

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:40 AM

Tony got what he wanted, I quickly realised he’s just wanting attention so ignored him / her. The fact that ppl are still replying though…..howay man give ya head a shake!!

• dig-n-dig22

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:42 AM

Bills Son

Don’t be putting words into the mouths of other fans.

“The fans don’t want to attend matches,don’t want to keep our best players,the fans want relegation, blah blah fcuking blah.
    True NUFC fans don’t want any of that ‘BUT’ it will happen ‘IF’ the fans withdraw their support. The fat tw@t needs to realise this. Ashley can’t keep putting the onus on the fans by holding a gun to their head season after season, just by keeping the club on life support.
    Just look at our return to the Prem over the last 2 seasons, fighting relegation, most bloggers on here thought both seasons would go to the wire, now look back to our last 2 seasons before relegation, same old same old “nothing new, nothing learnt” we survived through the effort of a good manager and the full loyal support of our fans, no thanks to the owner. ffs it’s not rocket science looking back over the last 5 seasons where we are headed if the fans withdraw their support.

If the fat tw@t doesn’t sell now, he will quickly see his NUFC empire crumble.

• Diddly

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:57 AM

Glass was getting empty so I’ve topped it up. I’ve s feeling of optimism today. Don’t know why. Just feel brighter today.

• davo

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:17 AM

Ny mag @#55
    That post you explains.
    that sport Direct take money from our club shop, take money from our online sales and Ashley has also sold off some of the clubs land/property.
    Those points fill me with rage, that’s him raping and pillaging our club.

• DavidKelly9

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:30 AM

Captain so your not at all worried about keith downie saying he has had it confirmed from nufc and the premier league that proof of funds have indeed not been provided ?
    Plus we are 6 weeks on from the fake statements and are we any further forward?

• NY Mag

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:35 AM

Davo,

That’s not new information – it’s been common knowledge for a while

• hibbit

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:38 AM

DavidKelly9
    what do you make of this, if this is true somebody’s telling porkies !!!!

• DavidKelly9

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:43 AM

Hibbit i dont no what to believe any more and are getting to the point i am past caring though i do think its not moved on in 6 weeks.
    It is only the 450 away points i have that has stopped me binning my season ticket already

• hibbit

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:48 AM

DavidKelly9
    mines gone. buying a new large tv today 😀

• DavidKelly9

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:52 AM

Hibbit i am getting closer to calling it a day how the hell the club have allowed it to come to this but then again am sure fat mike thinks he can ride any storm he is here to stay

• Captain AmeriMag

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:53 AM

@davidkelly9 I still believe the two BZG statements more than anything drip fed to journalists from Ashley’s camp personally. It’s all contradictory from Ashley’s side whereas BZG could not have been clearer in what they have said and those statements have never been publicly refuted (in fact I’m pretty sure they were confirmed by the club at first, in the chronicle at least anyway!)
    I know the silence ever since has made everyone mental but I honestly believe it’s very, very close

• hibbit

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:58 AM

DavidKelly9
    it’s a big decision mate and one i didn’t take lightly.
    you’ll know when the times right,

• Diddly

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:59 AM

• Captain AmeriMag

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:07 AM

I do have sympathy for journalists in this current limbo situation, they really are in a no win situation. Especially the way news is digested now with everyone wanting constant updates, if there’s nothing to report what can they do?

• DavidKelly9

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:12 AM

We need an official update and soon although i think this has already gone the staveley and kenyon route

• Diddly

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:14 AM

Yeh frustrating all round. Journos don’t help themselves by rerunning old stories. With a different twist. Chron worse than them all. Don’t even read them now.

• DavidKelly9

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:17 AM

Diddly yes i seen that mate but again he stated they had not provided POF after the second statement was issued in which BZG stated they had been provided in April.
    Downie is saying there he was not sure if they had been provided in the meantime however again this goes against the statement issued who do we believe? At the end of the day Mike has got what he wanted all focus has been on this fakeover again in in background manager and top scorer have gone what a mess

• hibbit

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:18 AM

the clubs in free fall and we all know were we’ll end up if there’s not a massive change of course in the next few days……………………..can i see that happening NO.

• Diddly

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:27 AM

Totally agree DavidKelly9 and Hibbit. Maybe this time just maybe it will get over the line.

• Diddly

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:33 AM

Mike is a proven liar. BZG don’t know yet hope not