web analytics

Newcastle Set Massive Price On Local Lad Sean Longstaff

Sky Sports are reporting that in the wake of an imminent Manchester United bid for Sean Longstaff, the club have set the asking price at £50m. This is double the amount that Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had reportedly sanctioned for the local midfielder.

This is what Sky Sports is reporting:

However, Newcastle insist Longstaff is not for sale and Sky Sports News has been told he will cost Manchester United more than the £50m they spent on Wan-Bissaka.

If this is true, this is exactly how Newcastle should react to any approaches for the young midfielder. If Manchester United are reportedly willing to pay £25m for a 21-year-old who has only played in nine Premier League games and is recovering from a serious knee injury; then it would be best to hold on to the youngster for the foreseeable future.

While some may think this approach is ludicrous, Sean Longstaff means much more to this club than a typical player.

This is player who only last month talked so highly of playing for Newcastle United. This is what he said in early June when asked about the link to Manchester United back then:

“It just shows how far I’ve come. If someone told us at the start of the season that by the end of it you’d be linked with these teams I’d have laughed at them but it’s nice, it’s flattering. I’m massively flattered to have my name even mentioned in those conversations but like I said, I’m 100% focused on Newcastle and trying to get fit and get back in the team here.”

He went on in that interview and while acknowledging the flattery of being linked with a club like Manchester United, he unveiled what his true dreams were:

“For me it’s nice to be have said about you and be linked with top clubs but for me, this is what I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve always wanted to play for Newcastle and I’ve only had a little taste of that so for me, it’s about getting fit as soon as I can and getting back on the pitch for Newcastle and making more memories of the future.”

When asked if Newcastle remained his focus, he said what we all wanted to hear:

“Absolutely. I think I have dreamt of this from Boxing Day to the day I got injured – I dreamt of that month since I was a little boy. Three months isn’t enough. I’m not satisified with playing nine games, I want to play as much as I can and do it for a full season.”

Keeping hold of Sean Longstaff this summer is a must for this club. The loss of Benitez was a shock and has been very hard to absorb. The thought of watching Ayoze Perez put his fingers in his ears at King Power stadium is also something that will be uncomfortable.

Sean is local and he is extremely gifted. The thought of him playing for Manchester United this summer would not only compound an already appalling situation on Tyneside, it would possibly throw many supporters over the edge.

It is imperative that this club fights to keep this player. There is no need to cash in on him now. The club is not in any sort of financial difficulty. If this club were to accept a less than ridiculous offer for a player who could be the lynchpin of the future, then it will be curtains for this club this season.

We hope that this report is true and that Newcastle have told Manchester United that Sean Longstaff is simply not for sale.

• davo

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:33 AM

Ny Mag
    I know it’s not new information. that doesn’t make it any less maddening or any more acceptable.

• Tatforsale Mikey

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:35 AM

Morning all. Does anyone know if Nust have decided on having a members vote to support boycotts.

• Nufc-83

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:38 AM

In a world without Ashley it’s pretty straight forward what would happen. Take the fact we apparently have 90m to spend with Perez money. Sell the following:
    – Gayle

– Gk (back up)
    – Lb
    – Rb
    – Cm
    – 2 x St
    – 2 x Winger

Hmmm to get good quality not sure how far that would cover it!

• davo

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:42 AM

If you were Lee Ryder wouldn’t you pretty much set up camp on Charnleys driveway and demand answers?
    The media is letting them get away with murder.

• hibbit

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:51 AM

davo
    the local don’t want to rock the boat and the national press just don’t care.

• Tatforsale Mikey

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:51 AM

I wouldn’t even give him a job delivering the comical

• DavidKelly9

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:53 AM

If i was lee ryder i would wake up about 10 retweet an article i wrote 3 weeks ago then tweet back to fans dashing there dreams saying takeover is fake n my sources say the latest striker rumour is dead
    Then off to mcdonalds for breki then greggs for a snack before standing outside SJP getting my breifing from KBA and rubbishing BZG and repeat no bid is on table.
    Not a bad life is it Lee !

• MarkBro

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:55 AM

Doesnt matter what his price is. It took 2 yrs to negotiate Rafas deal but they messed that up, had no plan b and we’re still dithering.

There is no chance of getting in a new manager and Charnley to bid for players within a month.

We’ll start the season with this squad, minus a few

• Toon222

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:56 AM

Everything that comes out of nufc is a lie

If Ashley was getting 30m for longstaff hed b gone

Mike ashley is making us a laughing stock and we’re standing by letting him and filling his pockets at the same time

Time to stand together and get the club back

BOYCOTT ARSENAL

• toon22

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:02 AM

Wonder why all the PR

Byby Longstaff

• Nufc-83

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:07 AM

I’m certain the takeover will happen but then again I was certain Rafa would stay 🙁

• toon22

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:09 AM

Don’t worry guys

Mikes up for a tidy profit again, happy days

• DavidKelly9

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:13 AM

With ryder spouting his normal n now downie with his no proof of funds i fear mike is now putting little bits out to rubbish BZG before we get the takeover is off and its not my fault they did not have the funds crap

• toon22

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:15 AM

we’re in with a shout of paying back the money he lost to Debenhams and buy Game

It’s what footballs all about

• Genjikai

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:15 AM

Ofcourse its not ashleys fault.
    Hes said nothing all along the way.
    I never said there was a take over happening will be the cry.
    Its yous that have made it up in your head.

• chancel be a fine thing

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:15 AM

Good morning/afternoon/evening fellow bloggers. I am currently catching up on the blog and have reached 1.31 am. It is proving a slog, and I now just skip over Tony’s posts, but there are still many posters engaged in the futile attempts to reason with him or just responding in kind. I realise he is very annoying, but I would kindly request that folk desist from feeding the troll. I suggest we all chip in and buy him a new girlfriend, perhaps then he’d have something to do and not seek attention from the blog in order to give his life meaning.
    Thanks in advance, Chancel

• toon22

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:15 AM

For the 8th time

Who do you think he will pretend to sell us to next time?

• Diddly

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:18 AM

Too true Chancel too true

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:19 AM

OLG,
    You seem like you have a lot of time on your hands, why don’t you contact the Magpie Group and offer to be treasurer for the go fund me campaign to get stickers and posters made for the boycott Arsenal if this takeover is announced as being cancelled in the next week.

• Singinginthecorner

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:21 AM

DavidKelly9 do you work at fisher

• Sad Frog II

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:25 AM

After Arse boycott everyone who wants A out needs to wear arm badge which tells all needed

• Sad Frog II

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:27 AM

#metoo

• captainmarvel

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:28 AM

Ashley is going to struggle to get anyone decent as manager his form is set in stone so I’m not sure where we go from here, down I suppose…

• DubaiMicky

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:34 AM

What annoys me are things like this. Derby (who knew a while back that chances are they would be losing Lampard to Chelsea), named a new manager within a few days of it being official that lamps had left.

And then charnLIE etal, having known for months that chances are Rafa would be leaving for pastures new, hadn’t even thought that maybe, just maybe it might be an idea to scout out a few potential replacements IF Rafa was to leave.

It just shows how useless charnLIE and the rest of them truly are, no forward planning, no plan b. Well, no plan a either I would expect.

And why hasn’t the Joselu transfer not been completed yet? Why haven’t we bought anyone? Are ashLIE and charnLIE just going through the motions of owning the club now? Are the rumours of charnLIE’s wife gobbing off when a bit boozed that she wishes the takeover would happen soon so that her husband can get his multi million pound bonus?

WTF is going on?

Reminds me of this song by The Macc Lads (change “Pub” for “Club”), it’s a bit sweary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGeFZzd0yUI

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:35 AM

Genjikai,
    I seen your repost of DM’s timeline, I can see why people have hung on his every word, has he been totally honest with us??. Personally I haven’t trusted him since he told us Rafa was signing a new deal later on that week, it was a long shot which he would have absolutely milked if it had of came off within a few days, it was unsubstantiated clap trap and despite people like band camp Rob wanting to hear any bullshit whether true or not, shouldn’t be posted to fill people’s hopes.

• captainmarvel

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:37 AM

Anyway who wants to work for somebody who believes he is a class apart from anyone else? He never showed any respect fo Benitez so everyone else is going to get exactly the same treatment the man’s deluded!

• Tatforsale Mikey

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM

Micky
    The only hope is they aren’t looking for a manager as the takeover is ongoing… Not. Uch of a hope but its all we have right now

• Tatforsale Mikey

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:39 AM

Not much… Coffee needed

• optimistic prime

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:40 AM

If I was a player Nufc would be the last place I’d be thinking of going.

No manager, who’s going to sell the vision of the future, even though there isn’t really one.

Who’s going to buy them Charnley Wise Carr or JFK, there’ll be no buys until we get a new manager and how and when we get one of those is anyones guess.

How not to run a football club by Mike Ashley

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:41 AM

DubaiMicky,
    Like I said, a guy from Hartlepool I work with, genuine nice guy, Newcastle fan but not in a big way at all, told me about his cousin’s mother in law who works in the kitchen at Benton, she said that Rafa had been back to collect his stuff that afternoon, as I don’t know his cousin or his mother in law there is simply no way I would have posted that on here. Who was it that told you that Rafa would be signing later on that week, I’m not having it that you don’t even remember posting it.

• Pit yacker

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:43 AM

Last night I questioned whether MA would spend money on PR to influence the blog and was accused of being naive – fair enough
    I have just caught up on the 500+ comments and I could be wrong – hands up, there was some pretty strange posts and I can understand why regulars would be suspicious of posters popping up at this difficult time
    I enjoy the different views and still naively hope that it’s not being used to spread MA agenda / PR but fair play to Toon22 etc if I am wrong
    Ps. Tony please step back – you must be in a pretty bad place to be constantly angry, do yourself a favour and find something uplifting you can participate in – good luck

• jazzyp

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:43 AM

A member of our group put this in the WhatsApp this morning. @bigalf78 goes with his son (10 years old), who used to lay this out at home every morning before a game for his dad. They won’t be going back. Cancelled. Heartbreaking. #AshleyOut #NUFC

• geordietom

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:47 AM

well well well …

never thought i would see the day when jail says he’s sick of the Frogs witterings . well done jail .

• jazzyp

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:49 AM

So Bobbybee has come over to the dark side ..albeit just for one game eh!!
    Good on ya mate for at least showing that we are all willing to unite at what Ashley is doing to our club

• Mindshaft

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:49 AM

The club have been trying to sell colback, saivet, lazarr etc for about 3 seasons now – they have had offers but players refuse to take pay cut so won’t leave – in particular Colback who is running down his contract in the hope of a decent signing on fee ( even forest will give him a million or two).
    Toon have been subsidising wages whilst they have been on loan

• DubaiMicky

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:50 AM

Jail, I dunno who told me, it was a while back and I don’t stick everything on here – weirdly enough i don’t recall posting that but if I did then it was as a response to something I’d heard from someone I trust. Not the usual background chatter.

They were wrong, shit happens.

• geordietom

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:51 AM

question …

when we play the Gooners . how many people do you recon will turn up . dont count the gooner fans …

me i recon about 10 thousand if that …

• Mindshaft

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:54 AM

Nah, I reckon 35000 – probably our lowest prem home game gate , if it was 10000 it would be mint

• magscar

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:55 AM

Chancel

Yeah what a slog even skipping frog and now tony. Some good chat between NY Msg and Lilongwe eventually to make it worthwhi!e (I think)

My glass is beginning to drain past halfway after Micky’s comment @104 – would you expect plan b like say Derby if we were in transition to a sale and when as Mick y has said BZG didn’t want Rafa????

Some half glass full posters beginning to show doubt in recent days as the uncertainty continues and season approaches.

After catching up last 2 mornings on high levels of Blog postings and seemingly less and less news on potential sale might just rely on SSN (yeah that’s how fed up ) for awhile until new manager or we are sold.

Oh btw surprised at calls for a Tony ban when others are allowed to ride roughshod over Blog but we are told to skip 😉

• Toon Tang