web analytics

New Manager Must Get The Best Out Of This Player

One player who we missed a bit last season was Jonjo Shelvey. The midfield maestro has his faults but also has abilities that are sorely lacking in the Newcastle United squad at the moment.

While he can be very temperamental and lack defensive discipline, his vision and passing ability are top-notch. He has also stated time and again of his love of playing at the club.

Jonjo Shelvey is one player who will not be looking to leave the club due to Rafa Benitez’s departure. While he surely admired the Spanish legend, he had lost his place this past season due to a mixture of long-term injury, the emergence of both Sean Longstaff and Isaac Hayden, and the addition of free agent Ki Sung-Yeung.

He will also be very keen to impress whoever the next manager will be. If it is a forward-thinking manager who plays good football, they could possibly unleash Shelvey’s obvious talent and get the best out of him.

With Isaac Hayden likely to leave the club and questions over Sean Longstaff’s future with interest from Manchester United, Shelvey will be a player that could be pivotal this upcoming season.

Having just turned 27 this past February, Shelvey is at an age where he must now prove that he has the maturity and consistency to be a midfield general at a highly visible club like Newcastle.

Over the past few seasons, we have seen very encouraging signs that Shelvey is aware and willing to grow into that type of player and teammate.

Jonjo Shelvey– in need of the right manager at Newcastle

Jonjo has a big reputation as being an emotional player which oftentimes proved detrimental to him on the pitch. This is something he addressed earlier this year when he asked to play with the reserves to gain match fitness when he struggled to get back into the Newcastle side.

“I probably have a bit of a reputation about being a sulker and having a bad attitude, and, if I’m honest with you, then probably three or four years ago I probably would have sulked and thrown my toys out the pram,”

We have been very impressed with Shelvey’s growth off the pitch over the past few years. Even though he was deeply disappointed with his lack of gametime he did not allow that to become a problem in the dressing room.

He recently addressed this past season and the season ahead in an interview with NUFC TV:

“People wrote me off and things like that, but as far as I’m aware I’m a Newcastle United player and, until I’m told otherwise, I’ll keep fighting for a spot in this team and to show everyone how good I am.”

“It was [hard to get back into the team]. People came into the team and did well, and I wasn’t given a lot of opportunities.

“But that’s football at the end of the day; you’re not going to go through your whole football career always having a perfect season, you’re going to have these seasons now and again.

“Hopefully that is mine done and out of the way, and now I can look forward and continue into next season the way I finished last season.

“I obviously want to get myself back into the team first of all, and make sure by the start of the season that I’m back in the starting eleven and then kick on from there.”

Shelvey will always have a bit of chip on his shoulder, that is just the way he is built. He is an immense talent and has matured greatly over the past few seasons.

He has the ability to unlock defenses with precision passes and through balls that Newcastle missed a bit last season. With the right manager in place, Shelvey can become a top-level midfielder in the Premier League.

We would also like to ask that posters please refrain from personal attacks on other posters. We encourage the spirit of debate and many readers bring exceptional insight in the comments section. However, we have seen some nastiness recently and, while we understand this is a very troubling time at the club, would like to ask posters to remain civil with each other even through disagreements. Thank you.

• Mund

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:11 AM

Toon22

Why be a hater on other fans views and opinions?

I actually respect your views and have agreed on stuff you have posted ie getting parliment involved.

I can see you love Newcastle United and only want the best for the club thats clear to see and thats enough for me to respect you and your views. You can disagree on things and opinions i say but dont shoot me down for wanting to feel a little more positive in my day.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:12 AM

We saw the folly of messing around all summer combined with that tricky fixture list that cost us a dreadful start. This year we’ve removed 25 goals from the team and haven’t got a manager. The fixture list isn’t quite as tricky but not plain sailing either. We know what’s coming.

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:13 AM

Mund

Those views are what’s kept Jabba at the club asset stripping us
    I’m sure you don’t mind any of it

• one fine day

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:13 AM

Droopy
    Agree
    Even gallows humour
    I know the eifle tower is special to you but seeing Ol humpty caved in ….
    Now thinking of setting up a Punch and Judy stall outside the strawberry on match days …Mrs. Punch ( aka charnleys wife ) full of cheap Ol London gin …holding a massive silver spoon …”that’s the way to do it !”
    I’d be doing the north east a service
    Better kids see a violent scene than going into the theatre of night mares getting hooked and years of metal abuse

• Swlabr

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:13 AM

I’ve probably missed something somewhere along the line here, but just to satisfy my own curiosity, is it an established fact that Kenyon is a genuine interested party or speculation?

• Moonraker15

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:14 AM

Jib
    Why you got a downer on Rafa? Managers of his quality are always in great demand so why is it surprising that he walks out of one job into another?
    I suppose in your career you just left employment with no job to go to did you? Not a great plan!

• Markaccus

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:14 AM

In revolutionary France, there were essentially groups of bullies in the streets threatening anyone they thought Might be royalist, or aristocratic in any way. Many innocent people going about the lives were hurt for no reason other than an assumption. Random accusations based on nothing other than they were not striding around shouting vive la France death to Louis the millionth.

Civilised discussion cannot take place when people can’t have varying views about how to achieve the same goal.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:14 AM

Me too Mund I am with you mate! Too many coincidences for all this takeover to be complete nonsense. Something has been brewing in the background, if it comes to fruition or not is another thing. Apart from the statements the Monochrome Acquisitions Ltd company was a real hint and the recent Housekeeping.

I still wake up every morning with bated breath in anticipation of good news. Hopefully that day will soon come. It’s not worth thinking on the other outcome, not yet.

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:14 AM

Careful Jail

We must stay positive that Jabbas doing the right thing for the club

Even though it’s plain as day an utter car crash

• geordietom

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:15 AM

Tony cheers for that comment . not being funny but on here if your face dont fit it dont fit . i’ve reigned my comments back . i could go on all day about toon22 but whats the point he dont listen . not slagging you but you did get peoples backs up. dont leave have a few days off from the blog . come back you never know . things will have cooled down . and hopefully we have a new owner and a few new players as well . the blog always has mood swings . after all its only a BLOG …

• dig-n-dig22

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:15 AM

OFD

Would it not be a good idea that the Magpie group should seek clarification on behalf of NUFC fan base from the Chronicle, regarding Mike Ashley receiving no official bid/ proof of funds from BZG and ask him why BZG have replied “This is simply not true” is Ashley calling BZG liar’s? also Have Ashley’s legal team received an official bid/proof of funds from BZG? ,This is what the Chronicle should be asking, we shouldn’t have to show the Chronicle how to do their job.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:15 AM

one fine day,
    Excellent idea about the ad, I mentioned that at the meeting. Unfortunately it’s a full time job for someone and they need a treasurer, if I was retired, I’d do it.

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:16 AM

Markus

Jabba has used KBA as his bullies for decades
    We’re supposed to sit back and take it like a bunch of idiots?

We’re that stupid?

• captainmarvel

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Frog shut up. I do agree with your Ashley stance but you can come up with tosh mate.

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Can you explain MrBarnes role at the club and in press conferences?
    He isn’t employed by us

Pray tell

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Captain marvel

Hiya JIB

We want Jabba gone regardless now

• Mund

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:20 AM

Toon22

My views are what keeps jabba at the club??? haha how the hell do you work that out?

End of the day mate my views wont last for long, them views will change the moment we either hear anything from BZG or club saying its off or even if we dont hear anything, other stuff like hiring a manager or even god forbid it we sign a player. They will both point towards it being off so untill any of these things happen my views will stay the same.

Still dont understand how my views keep jabba at the club i couldnt detest another person more as much as i do that leech. All my life ive never said i hated someone to strong of a word. Im a chilled person dont let things hang over me dont let people get to me but one man and one man alone has achieved that and thats our c.unt of an owner so believe me when i say i hate that man just as much as you do and love the club with every bone in my body thats why it aches so much.

• Munster Mag

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:20 AM

I’m sticking with Mund on this. Either way, we’ll know within less than a week if this latest takeover effort is going to fail. Ashley not starting to move on a rafa replacement earlier may suggest that he thought he (Fats) would be out the gate anyway. The club woukd still be attractive to young European coaches who are used to working under financial constraints purely as a coach. If Ashley stays, we can still get a manager worth supporting. But you’d have to wonder if charnley has an iota about where to look. Pardew or McClaren had no interviews or competition for the job so we can’t have confidence there. We need an agent or manager/coach to literally put some good credentials under charnleys nose to make his decision easy. That’s if charnley/Ashley are still here. All pray to Allah for the Sheikh to come and rescue us. Sadly with Rafa gone my young fella is finally going towards Liverpool. I’m gutted.

• Bobbybee

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:21 AM

It’s beyond time the club made some sort of statement. Not one leaked through a media outlet, but one from the club, through the club. What a way to treat ST holders and members who have renewed, without even getting into a worldwide fan base.
    I fail to see why no search was made for a new manager when Rafa made his decision in May. The only thing you can think is he’s waiting for a takeover, which, tbf to Rafa, he did confirm this takeover but decided he couldn’t wait any longer. Unfortunately we have no choice.
    And why do people bother setting up an account just to pass on duff information? What is wrong with them?
    I’m gonna contact the club and ask wtf is going on. I am still a ST holder when all’s said and done and as a member I’m gonna tell them what I think of them. I’ll get back to you soon.

• Swlabr

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:22 AM

CaptainMarvel…it’s like pi**ing into the wind trying to rein in Toon22. Many many people have tried and failed, but the fact is, he is so focused on his aim it’s pointless trying. He is in fact an exquisite machine, a bit like Jaws or Alien with only one purpose. I admire his perfection.

• Mund

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:22 AM

JP

Exactly mate. Treading dangerous waters tho because its the hope that kills us in the end. But im sick of feeling like sh!t so i choose to believe.

Hopefully we are put out of our misery soon one way or another.

• captainmarvel

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:23 AM

If the takeover is off then it’s a downer but until then for me im staying positive if that’s a problem then tough…

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:24 AM

Oh everything will be fine
    Tomorrow

It’s just that tomorrow has been for the last 12 years

But tomorrow, this time
    This time it’s real

😉

• Munster Mag

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:25 AM

Jail, you a treasurer? Are you having a laugh?? 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Tony Baloney

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:25 AM

Geordie Tom: I am leaving and this will absolutely be my last post. Only back to say something to you. I am watching a documentary on Amazon Prime called “Touring Europe”. The first hour is about Amalfi and Sorrento where you are going.

I think you can get a free membership for a week or so and then just cancel.

• MarkBro

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Kenyon used to deal with umbro when at manU. Ashley bought 30% of umbro.

If we dont get bought, its been another fakeover, just like Kenyon and PcP

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Funny how that point of view is pritty much the PR view captain marvel
    And the rest

Just ordinary fans with there un ending belief that this time Jabba isn’t lying

• Munster Mag

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Good on you Bobby, sew it into them.

• Swlabr

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:26 AM

I KNEW he couldn’t resist one more post!!

• geordietom

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Walking on cobble stone, little bits of skin and bone
    Jumping on the tram car for a ride
    I can remember then, I was just a boy of ten
    Hanging outside the old ST .JAMES PARK
    Not all the capstans and the cargo boats
    And stevadores are gone
    To where all the old ships go
    But memories just like the seas live on
    That was when coal was king,
    The toon is a living thing
    And I was just a boy, but it was mine,
    The newcastle united
    This was a big club,
    I want you all to know that I was proud
    This was a big river, but that was long ago,
    That’s not now, that’s not now
    My father was a working man,
    He earned our living with his hands
    He had to cross the river every day
    He picked up a union card out of the neptune yard
    Mouths to feed and the bills to pay
    Then came a time for him to sail across the sea
    And far away
    Finally when the war was won
    You brought him home and home he stayed
    And when his days were done, under a golden sun
    You carried him to where he longed to be,
    Back to the sea
    This was a big club,
    I want you all to know that I was proud
    This was a big rclub, but that was long ago,
    That’s not now
    The neptune was the last to go,
    I heard it on my radio
    And then they played the latest number one
    But what do they do all day?
    And what are they supposed to say?
    What does a father tell his son?
    If you you believed that there’s a bond between our future
    And our past
    Then try to hold on to what we had,
    We build them strong, we built to last
    ’cause this is a mighty town,
    It’s built upon solid ground
    And everything they tried so hard to kill,
    We will rebuild
    This was a big club
    I want you all to know that I was proud
    This was a big river, but that was long ago,
    That’s not now
    This is a big club,
    And in my heart I know it will rise again
    The toon will rise again

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:27 AM

Hiya Tony/JIB/PR

We want Jabba gone regardless

• captainmarvel

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:27 AM

Frog you must be thick if you think I am Jib.
    Stop trying to be something your not.

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:27 AM

Let’s just believe he will sell tomorrow
    For another 12 years

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:28 AM

Hiya JIB

• toon22

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:28 AM

That positive attitude worked a treat

• Swlabr

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:30 AM

Geordietom…have you seen that live video of Jimmy Nail singing that? when he gets to the end and he clenches his fist it’s quite inspiring. Great song!

• one fine day

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:30 AM

JFA
    Agree
    Doing my nut in all this
    Hate the fact I am 12000km from what’s happening
    At times like a lot of others I think just feel f@ucking useless to not be doing anything .
    Signing up for Nust but not sure as yet where that will go
    Due back in early September for yet another christening ,hoping by then the sun is shining and at least as gutted as I am about Rafa we at least have seen the back of the tapeworm
    If it happens then the dream is Rafa to be consulted on the whole set up and his plan and eventually his return as a dog with a top young coaching team of his choosing doing the day to day .
    The Chinese are almost halfway through their season ..just sayin like

• one fine day

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:31 AM

JFA
    Agree
    Doing my nut in all this
    Hate the fact I am 12000km from what’s happening
    Signing up for Nust but not sure as yet where that will go
    The Chinese are almost halfway through their season ..just saying like

• oldarse

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:31 AM

geordietom
    WO WOW Tears mate thanks from a near 69 year old brought back some memories mate thank’s again

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:34 AM

Munster,
    A young foreign manager will come to treble his salary, the financial constraints he’s used to working with won’t matter a lot as everyone he’s been up against bar the couple of big boys in his league are working under the same. Bournemouth are building a state of the art training centre, Aston Villa are breaking our transfer record, we have a footin boiled egg dictating our transfer policy.
    And btw what’s funny about me being a treasurer if I had the time?