web analytics

Leeds United After Newcastle Goalkeeper With One Year Left On Contract

A report in Football Insider says that Leeds United are looking at bringing in Karl Darlow this summer.

Pete O’Rourke writes about the interest:

A Leeds source has told Football Insider that manager Marcelo Bielsa and director of football Victor Orta have drawn up a shortlist of goalkeeping targets and Darlow’s name features highly in it.

The report says that Leeds would bring in Darlow if they can sell Kiko Casilla who they brought in on a free from Real Madrid in January. They reportedly are looking to offload the Spanish keeper this summer even though he was their number one since he arrived at the club.

Karl Darlow was recently mentioned as being a target of Blackburn but that has since been denied by Blackburn boss Tony Mowbray.

With just one year remaining on his contract, we would expect Newcastle to move Karl this summer. Though if the new manager really rates him, he could end with a new contract. At just 28 years old, he still a long career ahead of him.

Newcastle have recently been linked with two Serie A goalkeepers in Juventus’s Mattia Perin and Lazio’s Thomas Strakosha. While Strakosha would likely be out of Newcastle’s price range, Perin is a less expensive alternative who would be an upgrade to Darlow and be able to push Martin Dubravka.

• Jib

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:30 PM

G2
    I think I’ll text Rafa for tonight’s Euromillions numbers

• toon kk

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:31 PM

Our toon
    The club has been built on lies. So many believe them.
    Imo the club isn’t even up for sale, why sell a thriving business which runs on minimal investment and advertises his main concern SD all over the world.
    I’m pleased many fans are seeing the light on Ash, but many just want a day out at the match so the regime will continue.

• hibbit the armchair fan

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:35 PM

toon kk
    do you think it will still be a full house next season ???
    i know a lot of supporters who have not renewed,

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:35 PM

Thought experiment for the whingers:

Bruce comes in

We spend £50-80m over the next few windows with no more sales of key players.

How many points do we add to Bruce’s 1st season total to compare what Rafa would have achieved this season with a similar spend? Let’s say we finish 12th on 44pts. Do we add on 5, 10, 15 for the elite manager over the supposed duffer and failure Bruce?

Then, imagine that Rafa-difference would put us comfortably in the top 10, maybe on the verge of Europa League. Would Rafa still be justified in leaving and would you still swallow his reasoning whole?

• GeordieTwo

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:37 PM

You don’t get it do you Jib? Of course Rafa was looking for a good paying job. He knew it was over with Ashley well before June 30th and has said as much. Of course clubs were approaching him and he took the best offer once his contract with us expired. You, of course would have picked the lowest paying offer on the table I assume?

• Muz

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:37 PM

Bruce has been, according to SWFC fans on twitter, telling fans outside the training ground that he’s going nowhere. Might be bull but don’t see why they’d try that as a wind up, I mean, it’s Steve Bruce..

If he can’t sign Bruce, it’s either Pardew or he accepts an offer for the club because it’s depreciating in value every day it gets closer to the season and therefore getting closer to relegation.

Just take the money and run Mike and never darken our door again

• hibbit the armchair fan

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:38 PM

Hail Wor Ashley

Rafa’s gone, Bruce has cold feet, who’s next on the merry go round ????

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:38 PM

Extend that thought experiment to any manager.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:40 PM

That’s a fairly rigged thought experiment with your own numbers plugged in Hail. I don’t think we need a thought experiment to realize Rafa is a better manager than Bruce and would do better with any amount given him.

• Tramp

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:40 PM

Toon kk

For those who choose to attend the games I hope the team get an absolute hiding every single game and play the most dire football, week in week out, I hope the players heads drop and tempers flare, I want to see ridiculous tactics, nonsensical substitutions, reporrs of players fighting in training and I want us to sit bottom of the league the entire season… This will be the tipping point for any fan who still chooses to attend the games, their anger will be clear, the attendances will then crash further and only in this way will we finally see the fat slug get it all! The media, SKY, TalkSport, Comical, none of these outlets will be in any position to not report the truth.

It’s time to rip the chairs out of our own stadium.

Let the club fall through the backdoors of the Prem, if these idiots keep turning up to line the fat mans pockets then let the club plummet further… whatever it takes.

The detriment of our club will be worth it to rid the slug wherever we end up.

• hibbit the armchair fan

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:41 PM

Hail Wor Ashley

do you think we’ll get a permanent manager or are we now to toxic ????

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:42 PM

Geordie Two

I’m asking people to give their view and plug in their own numbers.

• West Lancs Geordie

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:43 PM

David Moyes and Mark Hughes must be coming up the list, but I’d welcome Joey Barton who might just deck him at their first meeting

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:44 PM

Tramp

You’re an idiot if the highest order.

• Muz

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:45 PM

It might just be lads that Ashley has finally hit critical mass in the terms of the mountain of poo he’s allowed to build up. He’s s##t the bed so badly no one wants to even go near him, not even the most desperate.

• West Lancs Geordie

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:47 PM

There must be another Ex Mackem manager he can approach. What about Peter Reid?

• Tramp

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:47 PM

Hail

*Of

• hibbit the armchair fan

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:47 PM

Hail Wor Ashley
    how can we plug in a number when one of the most important parts of your equation is such an unknown quantity???????????????
    what happens if they bring Carver back!!!!!!!!!!

• West Lancs Geordie

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:48 PM

Hope you’re right Muz. Could be his and indeed our way out.

• Our Toon

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:49 PM

Hibbit

I didn’t say my dealing have anything to do with premier league, I said people from UAE who actually want to conclude business do it privately not through the media. Especially before any deal has gone through

Think about it logically, would anyone who serious about buying something broadcast it to the world before it’s set in stone……the answer is no

• GeordieTwo

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:49 PM

I don’t need to plug any numbers in Hail. I think dealing with Ashley and Charnley on a daily basis would drive anyone mad. Rafa left because they’re hopeless and always will be. The Ashley model is only useful when running tat shops with zero hour employees. Ashley is a bottom feeder and parasite and is always looking for the next scam to run. He can’t and won’t succeed at football and Rafa was right in leaving. The longer the stay the less is left of self respect.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:52 PM

Hibbit

Fully expect Bruce by early Monday at the latest. 40k+ attendance against Arsenal and a win on the first day of the season for the first time since 2012 – 3pts in the bag which took Rafa’s Newcastle 10 games last season and those were 3 draws.

• toon22

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:54 PM

Hail Wor Ashley

Poor attempt for a WUM

3/10

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:54 PM

If they bring Carver back add on 40pts to our total compared to what Rafa would have got. I’m asking how many for Bruce?

• hibbit the armchair fan

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:55 PM

our toon @6o
    PR spin

Pivoting::
    This refers to shifting away from a difficult question or issue to the one he or she wants to talk about.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:57 PM

Toon22

No I just like debate, playing devil’s advocate and breaking up the hegemony of misers posting the same shite over and over. You’re a specialist in that regard.

• Just a fan

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:58 PM

Tramp
    Sorry to disappoint you but in my opinion we have a canny squad and we will stay up.

• hibbit the armchair fan

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:58 PM

Hail Wor Ashley@ 62

just showed your true colour’s there RED&WHITE

• Belfast

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:59 PM

Hibbit

The premier league haven’t commented publicly on the takeover (They never do) but it is possible they’ve commented off the record and that’s why Ryder, Douglas, Downie et all are all adamant they haven’t provided proof of funds.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:00 PM

Jib

I think rafa at 59 had just grown weary of fighting . no rondon, no over 26 players, no infrastructure improvements etc, etc.

Reports were he could have gone to china ages ago. A 6m clause would have been nothing to them.

• Our Toon

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:00 PM

Hibbit

Could be, guess the truth will come out one day. Hopefully sooner rather than later

• toon22

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:00 PM

Ok

4/10

LoL

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:01 PM

Some people really talk out there arses the trouble with a lot of fan is they belive anything thats served up to then but for 40 + i dont thinks so but if it did happen proves they dont have a life or faimly sad .

• toon22

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:01 PM

Just a fan

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:58 PM

Tramp

Here we have some real BS

Pros stuff right there 😉

• posada

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:02 PM

jazzyp

Jul 12, 2019 at 6:20 PM
    Posada
    I agree with what ya saying .Yet last summer you argued like hell with me for having this stance
    *************************
    Not sure about that. I recall we did have a frank exchange and some forthright banter. However, I did assume that we had both been about a bit and could take that.
    I think it was last summer I was saying folks should not give up their STs.
    Well there has been a few changes. Off the top of my head.
    1) We no longer have a world class manager.
    2) Comical management has been resumed. They knew in May that Rafa was not staying. To let the club drift is total neglect.
    3) Perhaps worst of all and it does not get mentioned much. The owner has not told the supporters anything. Only he can sort this out. I stayed with the club when we were relegated. My loyalty deserves that. Times that by 40,000 or so.
    4) To be honest I thought he must have learned and even from Ashley we could not go back to this. Wrong, conned again. My fault for being a fool in that respect.

I recall back then you were still going. Have you called it a day.

We have several tickets in the family. We have been paying on the DD scheme for this season since March.

I will still Boycott Arsenal unless there is significant change.

My prediction. Come that game we will be in exactly the same situation as summer 2015. Stooge manager. Some mystery person ( Carr, Wise, JFK or some other Casino buddy ) picking the players, without any thought to how they will fit into the team.

If that is the case then I will cosider my options.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:03 PM

Hibbit

How so? I’ve posted on here for nearly 10 years. Get up in the middle of the night on the other side of the world to watch every match, having had a season ticket for 15 years until my move away in 2007.

• Tramp

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:03 PM

A canny squad?!

I just can’t.

You realise our top goalscorer is a defender?

• toon22

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:03 PM

Im guessing you think Gayle and Muto will get 15 goals each next season ?

You should get a bet on that pronto,youll be minted

• Jib

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:05 PM

Rotonda
    I agree with #70 100%
    However
    I still think he could have forgotten his feud with MA
    and informed the fans

• droppy in Wallsend

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:05 PM

I think if Rafa had stayed and been given the mythical £100m then we’d have finished about 8th. He would have brought back Rondon and a good replacement for Perez.

Bruce will maybe get 17th at best even with the money.

If it was Carver then rock bottom.