web analytics

Newcastle Have Made Inquiry About Coventry’s Young Midfielder

Sky Sports have an update on their Transfer Centre report about Coventry midfielder Tom Bayliss and interest from Newcastle United.

This what they are reporting on the youngster:

Coventry are resigned to losing 20-year-old rising star Tom Bayliss if a club matches the £3m buy-out clause in his contract, Sky Sports News has learned.

A number of Premier League clubs have made inquiries about him including Newcastle and Sheffield United – though none have made a formal approach so far.

If Newcastle have looked into the player that could be good news as they are the biggest club in the hunt for the U19 England international. The other two clubs that have been mentioned as having an interest in the midfielder are Aston Villa and West Brom.

Bayliss had an outstanding season for the Sky Blues in their return to League One last season. He appeared 41 times for the club with 3 goals and 3 assists.

Tom Bayliss– young midfielder available for low fee

The Daily Mail’s “The Secret Scout” did a feature on Bayliss during the 2017-18 season when he was just 18 and playing in League 2 for Coventry.

Here is a little of what they wrote:

“He still caught the eye with a couple of forward runs and now, at League One level, he has progressed. In the same position in a game this season he was marked by a tough midfielder, but still managed to free himself to make early runs in possession.

“He is comfortable moving forwards and showed deft footwork to sidestep one especially fierce challenge. At about 5ft 10in with a slim figure, he gives the impression he will broaden out and with greater body strength will pick up more power, strength and pace.

“I was looking to see some creative passing, but that appears to be something he might need to work on as I didn’t see him pick out a single pass under pressure.

“Despite a quiet game he did spring to life with a brilliant forward chip that held up and deceived the goalkeeper, who rushed out and conceded a penalty.

“Bayliss’s team lacked rhythm on this occasion but I saw enough in his general play to be sure that with more constructive players around him, he could flourish.

Bayliss extended his contract last September to run through to 2022 but due to the buy-out clause, he will only cost £3m.

We hope Newcastle look this summer to bring in some quality youngsters and Tom Bayliss seems to fit the bill for a very low fee.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:02 PM

Bruce, Moyes, Pearson, Hughes, Allardyce, Redknapp, or Dyche would be the final straw for me. And tragically I think that is Charnleys hit list. I’m guessing its the same managers on his list when he chose McLaren and the same list he had when benitez miraculously approached him. The only positive I can take is there are only 7 sh*t British dinosaurs for him to get through then we might get a decent foreign coach with half a brain.

• Online Guy

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:02 PM

Tsunki

Apologies if I read you wrong sir ..

Off for a pint !

• Online Guy

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:05 PM

Rob, lads

Dance Class .

Good band …ampitheatre South Shields morra night ..kick off half six with other jollities.

Don’t miss it ..free gig.

There will be some famous faces there. Don’t let them distract you !

• Reilly

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:06 PM

Keith Downie
    @SkySports_Keith
    · 16m
    Newcastle’s move for Steve Bruce has hit a snag, as Sheffield Wednesday hold out for a fee far greater than Newcastle originally expected. The Owls are holding out for significantly more for him & his assistants
    😆 😆

• MarkBro

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:06 PM

The deal (if real & still active) probably hinges on what Ashley can include. As mentioned before, shirt sponsors, ground advertising etc

The guy likes his fingers in many pies, or tanks on lawns as someone said.

Ive been shopping in JDSports for the last 2 years due to mikes treatment of nufc.

Just read he apparently has a stake in both jjb and jdSports 🙁

• Tsunki

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:07 PM

I’ve seen a theory fly
    I’ve watched a phantom sale
    I saw an ITK flap
    Heard a fibber wail

But I guess I’ve heard
    ’bout everything
    When I hear the Tru-u-uth ring
    Oh that’s right!
    When I hear the Tru-u-uth rinnnngggg

• simon376

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:09 PM

OLG
    So are you going to be there tomorrow? I might wander down

• Tsunki

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:09 PM

He has a stake in jib too. Take that whatever way you like 🙂

• Tsunki

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:11 PM

That photo up there – isn’t that Marty McFlys dad?

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:13 PM

markbro – Decathlon – some stores even have staff that know about stuff

• Munster Mag

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:14 PM

Mike, quite right. Rafa has gone to a better footballing environment. My. Hole. Nufc may be a basket case but i thought he’d get a club with the huge crowds he loves, like a galatasaray. Instead he’s gone to some chinese backwater for a huge wodge he’ll never need. Odd. Maybe his wifes foundation will be the beneficiaries, or rafa wants to be the next chinese manager. So much for all these top clubs wanting him. AC Milan it aint. He certainly didnt hang around to see if any decent outfits would want him.

• jon

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:18 PM

Jib

You can get a visa for China within 24-48 hrs, been there, done it, as long as you fill the forms in correctly, they can be a nightmare and have gone from 2 pages (2008) to 8 pages (2018). If going as part of well known sports team or celebrity, I’m sure you could get them more quickly.

• MarkBro

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:21 PM

BlacknWhiteBarmy

Cheers m8. I can vouch for the the lack of knowledge, kid you not. Lad gave me two different trainers on tuesday morning at JD. Spotted them when i got home, had ti go back Wednesday.

• Tsunki

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:29 PM

Yep keep going on about the ex-manager. Nice and relevant. Swats the flies off the fat man a treat. Not.

• IconicNumber9

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:30 PM

I don’t think Ratcliffe is buying us. Could be Kenyon, Saudis or someone else.

• Our Toon

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:34 PM

I miss the days when I’d come on here and quite a few would give an insight as to what’s happening with the apparent takeover / bid

Where have all the inside track people gone?

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:35 PM

A big factor I think would also have been the money it would earn for his crew. That’s a big pay day for them too, and they could certainly do with it very probably more than Rafa.

Also, while he was going to get the greatly increased transfer money, he was getting none of the other things he really wanted, thus the reported “I can’t stay, can I” comment to close friends.

I think there clearly was a “feud” between them, and both being stubborn, and with the China offer on the table, he was off.

I agree though, he most likely won’t particularly enjoy Dalian much either professionally or personally, and two and a half years is a long time out there. He may ultimately have some regrets about maybe not seeing it through with us one more year.

It certainly has left us in an unholy mess, because right now we appear unsellable and headed for the drop, whereas if Rafa had stayed we were looking top ten.

Utterly shocking turn of events for the club

• Tsunki

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:37 PM

• Tsunki

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:38 PM

That was to the tune of the song “when I see an elephant fly” from Dumbo btw for our younger viewers.

• Tsunki

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:39 PM

@86. Not the other stuff.

• Tsunki

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:42 PM

Are we still doing the club sale thing? Really?

• IconicNumber9

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:44 PM

Tsunski #98
    it was the other way round. ashley only offered 1 year.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:45 PM

This so sad. Waiting for scraps of news from an idiot. Ashley/Chumpley looking nervously at the season’s tickets sales. No manager and the team ready to go to China. No incoming. Still using the Arsenal model for football clubs are we Mikey? Better ask them for a refresher course.

• TomaKaThor

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:48 PM

Moving onto David Moyes? Or maybe he has already turned uus down, he would of tried thye obvious free options first, like he did with Allardyce

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:48 PM

I tend to think Rafa was after a long deal on his preferred terms, but would have done another year, with an increased wedge, and got offered neither, but could have signed a one year extension on current terms, which obviously would have been great for the club, and for a sale, if there really was one in the pipeline. But from his perspective, not enough clarity or certainty.

• Shire Toon

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:49 PM

There’s no takeover

The world is round

And satellites do exist

Sorry to spoil the fun!

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:53 PM

Maybe Rafa knew that Perez was leaving already and also the club were reluctant to get Rondon again?

So basically his front 3 that were working so well together would be totally dismantled with no real guarantees that he would get the exact players he wanted to replace them?

We always see rumours about the club being interested in Joel Linton maybe the club wanted him instead of Rondon and Rafa just was like na he isn’t going to be as good so what is the point?!

• GeordieTwo

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:54 PM

My theory remains the same. A deal was being negotiated and was proceeding when Ashley decided to squeeze a little harder remaining convinced he would get what he wanted. But the buyer withdrew a little and the Rafa contract expired with Ashley having no Plan B. So now we have Ashley looking even worse than usual, having difficulty finding any kind of manager at all while the buyer laughs and bides his time.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:57 PM

Would love to see Mikey with his plums in a vise as he realizes he has little or no leverage to get what he wants anymore. Especially if we go into the season with a weakened squad and a poor head coach and start stinking the joint out.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:00 PM

Why shouldn’t the prospective buyer start slicing a bit of his offer each week that Ashley doesn’t agree? Just for the fun of it? Especially if Mikey’s been a dick in the negotiations already. Right then Mikey you delayed too long. The offer is now 340M. At the end of next week it’s 335M.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:03 PM

Well yeah, that’s right. A couple of month ago the club conceivably was worth 350 million.

Now?

• GeordieTwo

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:04 PM

I was trying to fit that other stuff into the lyrics Tsunki. I’m glad you told us…still I’m making progress with
    “I thought the whole point was Rafa only wanted a year contract and fat boy didn’t want that?”
    He told me it wasn’t so, I believed him, he laughed and said no….. still working on it.

• Tsunki

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:06 PM

Are you sure it wasn’t that Ashley wanted a longer deal with no promises on commitment but rafa said he just wanted a year by year to see how Ashley’s promises panned out?

• Tsunki

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:07 PM

I believe “lack of trust” was the plug puller on the long term deal.

• beefman13

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:09 PM

Iconic, Rafa only wanted 1 year, I think he wanted to make sure he wasn’t duped, 2moro could see that bloated red faced snide become our manager, I have zero enthusiasm, blunted my week, dreading the announcement when it comes, that black n white tie on him, don’t know how I can go to the match, at this moment I’m still in a state of shock, that’s why I have to give great credence to all the MA haters who continued turning up, virtually the whole crowd haha! Bravo to them.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:12 PM

Yes, I think lack of trust was definitely in there. I”m sure it’s horrible to deal with Mike and Lee at the best of times. Rather like used car salesmen (apologies to all used car salesmen out there, I’m sure you’re much more honest than Mikey).
    Mike: “oh come on Rafa we know you want to stay with us. And we promise to inform you as soon as possible after we buy players. You’re right here on our contacts list…..errrm here somewhere…..errrm Lee would you put Rafa’s name on the contact list?”

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:12 PM

If think if Ashley wanted a longer deal with no promises on commitment, then he was effectively forcing him out, and if Rafa had said he just wanted a year by year to see how Ashley’s promises panned out, then surely Ashley would have agreed to that, if only to squeeze another year out of him and try to get the sale up. Unless of course you think the sale was always pie in the sky and maybe so. Rafa certainly didn’t seem convinced.

• GeordieTwo

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:13 PM

Ah well back to waiting then….. sigh……

• IconicNumber9

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:14 PM

I don’t believe for a second agent bruce will be our next manager

• GeordieTwo

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:15 PM

Who do you think it will be Iconic? I hear Bob Bradley was a big hit over there? At least that’s what Mikey is saying…