web analytics

Reports That Martin Dubravka Is Unsettled With Top Clubs Ready To Pounce

The Daily Mail are reporting that Martin Dubravka is now unsettled on Tyneside with a slew of clubs ready to take advantage of the uncertainty at Newcastle.

The report list five clubs with interest in our Slovakian shot-stopper. Two of the clubs are part of the Premier League top six in Manchester United and Tottenham.

The other clubs are Aston Villa, Monaco, and Porto. The fee mentioned for Dubravka is said to be £12m which is a pittance compared to the harm his departure would cause.

Martin Dubravka– reportedly upset with state of the club

Martin is basically our only goalkeeper right now. We do have Karl Darlow, Rob Elliot, and Freddie Woodman but none are top-flight quality at the moment.

Any approach for Dubravka should be met with stringent opposition. The player is a vital member of the squad who would be hard to replace.

In fact, Newcastle are in the market for competition for Martin so losing him could prove disastrous.

The report says that Aston Villa are looking at Dubravka as a cheaper alternative to Jack Butland who Stoke City have set a £12m price tag on. Can you imagine the scenes if Martin Dubravka was sold to Aston Villa?

This summer is just beyond belief. We have to hope these developments are inaccurate, though we also understand why Martin would be devastated with the loss of Rafa Benitez.

• Ron Knee

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:19 PM

WLG

Better alert the blog’s chopperwatch people!

• MarkBro

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:19 PM

I have enjoyed sport since I was a boy. I love football. I have followed England in every tournament since Mexico ’86. I was there to see Maradona and his hand of God. I know what it means to love football and to love a club. I know how important it is to other people because football is so important to me.

My life has been tied up with sport. It was the passion that I felt for sport that helped me to be successful with my business. That success allowed me to mix my passion and my business.

Mike Ashley

I bought Newcastle United in May 2007. Newcastle attracted me because everyone in England knows that it has the best fans in football. When the fans are behind the club at St James’ Park it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. It is magic. Newcastle’s best asset has been, is and always will be the fans.

But like any business with assets the club has debts. I paid £134 million out of my own pocket for the club. I then poured another £110 million into the club not to pay off the debt but just to reduce it. The club is still in debt. Even worse than that, the club still owes millions of pounds in transfer fees. I shall be paying out many more millions over the coming year to pay for players bought by the club before I arrived.

But there was a double whammy. Commercial deals such as sponsorships and advertising had been front loaded. The money had been paid upfront and spent. I was left with a club that owed millions and part of whose future had been mortgaged. Unless I had come into the club then it might not have survived. It could have shared the fate of other clubs who have borrowed too heavily against their future. Before I had spent a penny on wages or buying players Newcastle United had cost me more than a quarter of a billion pounds.

Don’t get me wrong. I did not buy Newcastle to make money. I bought Newcastle because I love football. Newcastle does not generate the income of a Manchester United or a Real Madrid. I am Mike Ashley, not Mike Ashley a multi-billionaire with unlimited resources. Newcastle United and I can’t do what other clubs can. We can’t afford it.

Newcastle fans made their feelings known before the 2-1 defeat to Hull

I knew that the club would cost me money every year after I had bought it. I have backed the club with money. You can see that from the fact that Newcastle has the fifth highest wage bill in the Premier League. I was always prepared to bank roll Newcastle up to the tune of £20 million per year but no more. That was my bargain. I would make the club solvent. I would make it a going concern. I would pour up to £20 million a year into the club and not expect anything back. It has to be realised that if I put £100 million into the club year in year out then it would not be too long before I was cleaned out and a debt ridden Newcastle United would find itself in the position that faced Leeds United.

That is the nightmare for every fan. To love a club that overextends itself, that tries to spend what it can’t afford.

That will never happen to Newcastle when I am in charge. The truth is that Newcastle could not sustain buying the Shevchenko’s, Robinho’s or the Berbatov’s. These are recognised European footballers. They have played in the European leagues and everyone knows about them. They can be brilliant signings. But everybody knows that they are brilliant and so they, and players like them, cost more than £30 million to buy before you even take into account agent commissions and the multi-million pound wage deals.

My plan and my strategy for Newcastle is different. It has to be. Arsenal is the shining example in England of a sustainable business model. It takes time. It can’t be done overnight. Newcastle has therefore set up an extensive scouting system. We look for young players, for players in foreign leagues who everyone does not know about. We try and stay ahead of the competition. We search high and low looking for value, for potential that we can bring on and for players who will allow Newcastle to compete at the very highest level but who don’t cost the earth.

• chancel be a fine thing

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:21 PM

• MarkBro

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:22 PM

I am prepared to back large signings for millions of pounds but for a player who is young and has their career in front of them and not for established players at the other end of their careers. There is no other workable way forward for Newcastle. It is in this regard that Dennis and his team have done a first class job in scouting for talent to secure the future of the club.

You only need to look at some of our signings to see that it is working, slowly working. Look at Jonas Guttierrez and Fabricio Collocini. These are world class players. The plan is showing dividends with the signing of exceptional young talent such as Sebastien Bassong, Danny Guthrie and Xisco.

My investment in the club has extended to time, effort and yet again, money being poured into the Academy. I want Newcastle to be able to create its own legends of the future to rival those of the past. This is a long term plan. A long term plan for the future of the club so that it can flourish.

One person alone can’t manage a Premiership football club and scout the world looking for world class players and stars of the future. It needs a structure and it needs people who are dedicated to that task. It needs all members of the management team to share that vision for it to work.

Also one of the reasons that the club was so in debt when I took over was due to transfer dealings caused by managers moving in and out of the club. Every time there was a change in manager millions would be spent on new players and millions would be lost as players were sold. It can’t keep on working like that. It is just madness.

Mike Ashley

I have put Newcastle on a sound financial footing. It is reducing its debt. It is spending within itself. It is recruiting exciting new players and bringing in players for the future.

The fans want this process to happen more quickly and they want huge amounts spent in the transfer market so that the club can compete at the top table of European football now. I am not stupid and have listened to the fans. I have really loved taking my kids to the games, being next to them and all the fans. But I am now a dad who can’t take his kids to a football game on a Saturday because I am advised that we would be assaulted. Therefore, I am no longer prepared to subsidise Newcastle United.

I am putting the club up for sale. I hope that the fans get what they want and that the next owner is someone who can lavish the amount of money on the club that the fans want.

This will not be a fire sale. Newcastle is now in a much stronger position than it was in 2007. It is planning for the future and it is sustainable.

I am still a fan of Newcastle United. We, my kids and I, have loved standing on the terraces with the fans, we have loved travelling with the away fans and we have met so many fans whose company we have enjoyed. We have absolutely loved it but it is not safe anymore for us as a family.

I am very conscious of the responsibility that I bear in owning Newcastle United. Tough decisions have to be made in business and I will not shy away from doing what I consider to be in the best interests of the club. This is not fantasy football.

Newcastle fans reacted angrily after Kevin Keegan left the club

I don’t want anyone to read my words and think that any of this is an attack on Kevin Keegan. It is not. Kevin and I always got on. Everyone at the club, and I mean everyone, thinks that he has few equals in getting the best out of the players. He is a legend at the club and rightly so. Clearly there are disagreements between Kevin and the Board and we have both put that in the hands of our lawyers.

I hope that all the fans get to read this statement so that they understand what I am about. I would not expect all of the fans to agree with me. But I have set out, clearly, my plan. If I can’t sell the club to someone who will give the fans what they want then I shall continue to ensure that Newcastle is run on a business and football model that is sustainable. I care too much about the club merely to abandon it.

I have the interests of Newcastle United at heart. I have listened to you. You want me out. That is what I am now trying to do but it won’t happen overnight and it may not happen at all if a buyer does not come in.

You don’t need to demonstrate against me again because I have got the message. Any further action will only have an adverse effect on the team. As fans of Newcastle United you need to spend your energy getting behind, not me, but the players who need your support.

I am determined that Newcastle United is not only here today, but that it is also there tomorrow for your children who stand beside you at St James’ Park.

Mike Ashley.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:23 PM

£12M?

One thing MA doesn’t do is sell players cheaply.

I bet this unsettled rumour is bollocks but his valuation would be £30M minimum.

• Genjikai

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:23 PM

Markbro see all lies.
    If you read that article like you have you will see how the next 10nyears truely expired.
    We have been lied lied lied to.
    After that hull protest we believed him that he was going to sell.
    Why has not gone yet?
    Cause he doesnt want to sell.
    For the good of newcastle united he has to go.

• Mag :P

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:25 PM

A huge longshot:

Maybe, just maybe, Ashley has given the go ahead to leak our interest in Bruce to the press to force BZG to match exactly what Ashley wants?

Or maybe the deal is almost complete and he’s having one more facade with the fans before he leaves?

I don’t know anymore. I don’t buy that we weren’t expecting such a high compensation fee for Bruce. You don’t just suddenly go from imminent to nothing agreed.

Something doesn’t seem right.

• Genjikai

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:25 PM

They are mike ashleys own words.
    He cant deny any of it.
    Hes clearly not a fan of the football.
    Fcuk you ashley.
    Your scum.

• MarkBro

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:26 PM

A long term plan for the future of the club so that it can flourish. 13years on and we sign steve Bruce 🙂

• MarkBro

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:27 PM

@Genjikai

Obviously penned by his spin doctor.

Its comical tbh

• Genjikai

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:28 PM

Markbro
    You get it.
    Pr have a go at trying to defend that one like.
    10 years a lie.
    Scum of the earth. Ashley should be banished from sport all together.
    Send him to outta space to find another race.

• Genjikai

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:28 PM

Mark bro
    Hiya kba
    Haha toon22 rifht from the start

• MarkBro

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:30 PM

Genjikai
    .but hes a passionate football fan that saw the hand of god… 🙂

If he has so much knowledge, he’ll know who Steve ‘broccoli bonce’ bruce is…

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:30 PM

Also, to my knowledge we’ve never sold a big player who didn’t want to leave.

AC, Cabaye, Wini, Sissoko and the rest all wanted out.

And, with the exception of Vardy, that is nearly always the case when the top 6 are after players outside of that elite group.

Even Man U, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal can’t keep always keep players when Real Madrid or Barcelona come calling.

I hate our best players being sold as much as the next fan, but it’s the rule of the money jungle that football has become.

• Genjikai

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:30 PM

Ill put in the the tune of 20 mill a year but no more.
    Yeah right mike pull the other one man.

• Munster Mag

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:31 PM

Jail, unlike you, i analyse what i see in front of my eyes. If Bruce had managed us a few years ago and had set up defensively v sunderland, at home, with our players costing much more than theirs, would you have criticised? You would have. Correctly. But it wasnt permissable to criticise Rafa. You always had your head up your arse about rafa. Of couse he is a good manager but i never agreed with your criticism free zone. In fact you never came up with a reason for it, except that Rafa was nicer than Ashley. Well done Sherlock.

• MarkBro

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:32 PM

Please mike, stop, my sides are hurting.
    🙂 🙂

• Markaccus

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:33 PM

OK, salt sellars athe the ready……

A mate of mine was talking to Steve Bruce’s cousin, and apparently under NO Circumstances is Bruce taking the NUFC job.

There is absolutely no reason for this to be a lie. I believe the convo took place.

HOWEVER, SB wouldn’t necessarily tell his cousin his true intentions, which is why I said get the salt ready.

It has given me a small glimmer of hope

• chancel be a fine thing

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:33 PM

Bills son, That’s because they all want to leave!

• toon22

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:34 PM

Munster

LoL

Let’s blame Rafa ?

Hiya

• toon22

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:35 PM

It’s s struggle for you without a manager to blame isn’t it

• Genjikai

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:36 PM

You are his biggest asset the fan.
    We are the reason he bought the club.
    He is using your loyalty for our club against us.
    He is phycologicically attacking you.
    And i dont have my mind messed with by no one.
    March,stomp, pushback, fight against him
    One goal,ashley out.
    Fcuk ashley and his fcuking momma

• jazzyp

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:37 PM

Markkacus

You couldn’t make it up

• Markaccus

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:37 PM

Bills son

The reason those players wanted to leave is because we advertised ourselves as a stepping stone club. They expected to be able to move on after a few seasons at most. They wouldn’t even have signed here in the first place under Ashley’s regime otherwise.
    It’s in the “How to sign mercenaries” Handbook.

What a terrible way to run a football team

• wynsleap

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:37 PM

If you believe that the old adage is true – ie you never try to keep hold of an unsettled player, maybe we should just sell the lot of them, close St. James Park down and use the land for housing. Ashley can then ride off into the sunset and we won’t have the heartbreak any more of supporting this club against all odds.
    Totally depressing. Totally unnecessary.
    As Donald Tusk said “there must be a place in Hell” for this obnoxious individual.

• dig-n-dig22

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:38 PM

You can see Why Ashley decided Rafa had to go, because there is nothing keeping the Fox away from the Chicken’s.

• Markaccus

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:38 PM

Jazzy P

That used to be my blog name for a while 😀

Like I say. Pinches and pinches of salt.

• Genjikai

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:39 PM

Toon22 did you email me or was it someone else?

• toon22

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:39 PM

Whoever they offer the poisoned chalice to now they will fully know the club are desperate and they are 10th choice
    The fans will reject them and will be on their case before a game is played
    The owner is only interested in making money
    Players will be bought and sold without their say so
    Basically it’s their job to take the flack

Welcome to Jabbas vision for our club

• Munster Mag

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:39 PM

Mag P i think its possible ya that he is shiwing bzg how negligent he can be. There has to be questions as to wht bzg cant stick anither 50 mill in the pot just to throw him out. Maybe he was so slimy to deal with they just cant abide giving him a dollar extra? It must be awful doing business with him. Can u imagine being a supplier to SD? Every margin squeezed to the max. Bastard.

• toon22

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:40 PM

Yes I emailed you

• Genjikai

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:41 PM

Cheers for confirmation.
    Just puts the doubts to bed.

• Munster Mag

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:42 PM

As much as ashley is scum,Charlie may be right in saying that some loons wud happily lose the club completely to lose Fats.

• Genjikai

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:43 PM

Ed/neil.
    Will you put an article up about this bbc article
    It just shows how much of a liar ashley is and i think it would be a good discussion board.
    I know its an old article but its all ashleys words that he cant deny.

• toon22

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:44 PM

Munster

It’s anyone but Jabba 😉

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:44 PM

Bill’s,
    Why do they all want to leave, it’s because they were all told that they were here until a bigger club came in. How many bar Hayden, who wanted to leave for personal reasons have talked publicly about wanting a move to a bigger club, Perez wanted to leave because of the grief he got and powerhouse Leicester who have been in the lower leagues for the last twenty years pay more. Stop defending his policies will you please.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:45 PM

If you are going to stick up for all his wrong doings at least have the decency to stop pretending you want him out.

• TomaKaThor

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:46 PM

I hope everyone reject us aslong as Ashley remains, its clear now the only way to get our club back is to first destroy it and make the cancer leave, then rebuild

• jazzyp

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:46 PM

Munster

Yeah heard loads of fans say that mate.Another jackanory story

• West Lancs Geordie

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:47 PM

Markaccus. Most of Bruce’s family will probably be Toon supporters and plead with him not to consider the job under the present “regime”.
    I think either Ashlie is running out of candidates for the coach/managers role and /or a deal will be announced at the end of the month and we will have to get in loan players to plug the gaps till January window. If we can get in two decent forwards to replace Rondon & Perez I don’t think we are not too badly off . Providing he doesn’t sell any of the jewels in the crown. Probably will need to replace Hayden although I personally would be sad to see him go.