web analytics

The Problem With John Carver And Shola Ameobi’s Sky Sports Comments

Sky Sports’ Pete Graves has launched a defense of John Carver and Shola Ameobi after their comments yesterday on the pending appointment of Steve Bruce.

This is what John Carver said to Sky Sports that led to a backlash from the fanbase:

“If he does get appointed then he has got my support”

“He has got a lot of people’s support in the North East.”

“He is a Geordie guy.”

“He is from just down the road in Corbridge.”

“Loves the football club…but not just that, he has got a good record in the Premier League.”

“I think he is just short of 1,000 games as a coach and as a manager.”

“So he is a stable appointment and let’s get behind him.”

Shola Ameobi then followed Carver’s comments with the following:

“If it is Steve, he has been a manager for a long time obviously he has got a good pedigree.”

“You know being a geordie y’know is just the cherry on top.”

“Ultimately whoever is hopefully coming in will do the best job, Rafa left on the back of two good results in the league and hopefully the new manager can take us forward.”

While Ameobi is employed by the club, we can understand that he is not going to be negative. However, a “no comment” would have been the best course for him.

How in the world, can Steve Bruce take the club forward from where Rafa Benitez had toiled under Mike Ashley to get us?

This was just a ridiculous statement and sometimes “no comment” is actually a preferable response.

As for John Carver, well the self-described “best manager in the world” (currently unemployed) says two absolutely ludicrous things.

First of all, he does not have a lot of support of people in the North East. Secondly, his pedigree is certainly not good.

Unless, of course, your definition of “a lot of people” and “good” is similar to your definition of “best manager” – which would both be the polar opposite of reality.

Pete Graves came out this morning to defend the pair after their interview caused a stir among the fans.

The issue is not really the comments supporting Steve Bruce or the backlash they have faced for them. The problem is that the media don’t give an accurate representation of what is going on with the club.

Sky Sports is quick to trot out Dennis Wise to act like Mike Ashley is some normal guy who is being maligned by the Newcastle fanbase.

So when an ex-player and ex-coach who are both from the area are on the television acting like everything is normal, fans are going to react accordingly.

Everything is not normal.

The owner of the club just got rid of a world class manager and is now trying to replace him with someone with one of the worst records in the Premier League.

This is what Sky Sports should be reporting. Not running with positive statements about a club that is in complete shambles and getting worse by the minute.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:49 AM

Online Guy + the other goons on here who can’t read….

Let’s summarise what I’ve said since I came back on here;

I want Ashley out (for about the 50th time)
    He has no ambition other than staying in the Prem
    I’ve supported the club since 1960 as a 7 year old
    I have far greater ambitions and hopes for NUFC in my lifetime
    I’m desperate to see us win a domestic trophy – 59 years of support and I’m still waiting
    Ashley wants to sell but won’t for less than £350M
    I now believe that BZG never provided proof of funds
    I don’t think with massive Sky money, hugely inflated transfer fees that give our squad a value of £100M+, and 52,000 fans that an asking price of £350M is ridiculous – and defo not for a true billionaire.

My reality check opinions;

The only greatness we can claim as a club is our support
    52,000 sell out crowds for a club that has won nowt domestically for 64 years is proof of that
    However – greatness in football terms is not finishing 2nd in the Prem, being losing FA Cup finalists or qualifying for the Champs League
    I think fans who accept the above as greatness are deluding themselves
    As a fan I’ll never accept 2nd as being great – I want us to WIN SOMETHING
    I support a boycott but I won’t be attending – I’ll be at the match
    I don’t support a blockade of supporters going to the Arsenal game – there will be violence and possible massive come backs from the FA for the club.
    I think complaint letters to the FA will make us a bigger laughing stock among other clubs fans than we are now.
    I don’t want Bruce as manager but I’ll give him a chance to prove me wrong
    And finally – NO WAY WILL I EVER ACCEPT,THINK OR BELIEVE THAT RELEGATION IS A GOOD THING.

So there you have it.

I couldn’t give a flying $hit what anyone thinks of my opinions especially the 52 who hearted Rotunda calling me a cretin

Criticise my opinions all you like, I can take it no problem,

Just try and get the facts right before you do though.

• hibbit

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:51 AM

enjoy your day guys i’m off to see a man about a dog ???????????????????

• Ron Knee

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:53 AM

“So he is a stable appointment and let’s get behind him.”

Strong and stable, like the Maybot?

• Jib

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:53 AM

NZ 8 for 1

• dexter53

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:53 AM

Graves Carver Ameobi. Embarrassment. And we all know why theyre saying what theyre saying.

• Jib

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:53 AM

Oh No !
    It hit his hip

• Sad Frog II

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:54 AM

…stop this madness #mikeoutnow!

• Jib

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:56 AM

Sad Frog II

…stop this madness #mikeoutnow!

SFll
    I think if Ashley read this blog he would heart your comment

• geordietom

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:56 AM

jib …

1… ginger jack …

2 … yedlin … on loan

3…manquillo … on loan

4… Ki … on loan …

linka maths seem allreet to me …

• Jib

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:58 AM

Tom
    Yeah I apologised to you on previous

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:59 AM

So apparently Bruce wants to bring Carr back into the fold….. Aye right more like he has been told this is what’s happening

For me Carr never actually left he’s always been advising Ashley in the background who else is capable of suggesting players to Rafa?

Problem now is that the market has changed In France, Holland and Belgium where Carr used to shop, the club’s are now holding out for silly money over there no chance of a Sissoko on a 2 million deal etc

• Jib

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:59 AM

NZ leading a charmed life at the momoent

• giimps

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:00 AM

What about Moncur?

• one fine day

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:03 AM

Who honestly cares what carver says ?
    The man is dillusional

• one fine day

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:05 AM

Carver is prob sniffing around for a coaching gig again
    # best coach in the premier league …:):):):)

• Just a fan

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:06 AM

Bills son I gave you a heart so you can catch up rotunda.

• toon22

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:06 AM

Bills

Hiya

We want Jabba gone regardless now

• chancel be a fine thing

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:06 AM

missed the bus:
    The reason the chronic are effectively an Ashley PR wing is that they are shit scared of losing their ‘special relationship’ with the club. The reason they are scared of this is because NUFC news keeps them in business. It is not Ashley that gives them their money, it is effectively the people of the NE who buy their papers and click on their website. Paper sales and website traffic inform the amount of money they charge for advertising. It is the people of the NE who buy the paper and click on the website who have the real power over the chronicle, not Ashley.
    I propose we make the daily mirror to Newcastle as the Sun is to Liverpool. I propose that we no longer buy the chronicle and not longer click on it’s website. It is not a difficult thing to do. Simply buy alternative papers, and read NUFC news elsewhere. At the end of the day, what would we miss out on? Just Ashley PR, journalists talking to each other, the occasional player offering a few platitudes and the once in a while when they wheel Gibbo out to offer a mild rebuke to the club, to placate the revolting masses.
    This action involves very little effort and would be highly effective in showing the chronic, who holds the real power over them; it’s not Ashley, it’s not the advertisers, it’s the customers. They are not representing their customer base and until they do, we should boycott them.

• toon22

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:07 AM

We’re not stupid and can see people who are payed to like Jabba

It’s just making people angry now

• Jib

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:08 AM

giimps
    Moncur
    Is he still a club ambassador ?

• toon22

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:09 AM

Chancel

Stopped buying the chron ages ago
    I’m now not clicking on their website

😉

• Tsunki

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:09 AM

“Munster Mag

Jul 14, 2019 at 9:57 AM

Tsunki, i’m warning you now so understand it clearly. If you persist in lying to fellow nufc fans on this blog about my opinion on mike ashley i’ll take it up with Ed. I want a club that maximises its potential as much as anyone. I want ashley out as much as anyone. He is pure scum. You spent years misrepresenting what i was saying about rafa benitez to this blog. Dont even think about trying it with regards to our scumbag owner. Do you understand me Tsunki?”

Hands shaking as I type but here goes…

I understand all I need to Munster. Go ahead. Perhaps Ed might be bothered to trawl back through all your insulting posts. Or perhaps he won’t be bothered. I stand by my and others sense that you were always critical of Benitez and despite what he achieved you are happy he’s gone. My perception is you will support Ashley by buying his stuff and supporting “the team not the regime”. I believe you are happy Benitez gas gone because you keep criticising him even now. I believe you can’t wait for Steve Bruces first win to shout about how we’ve “turned a corner” and that you will make more suggestions that Ashley’s reign isn’t so bad. Try and change my mind, or you could get me banned for not being convinced.

And I do all that without some stupid foul mouthed insult or personal jibe. And I don’t want you banned either. I prefer everyone to see what you are by your own merits 😉

• toon22

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:11 AM

There’s loads of people who work for the club who arnt in the clubs employment
    Barnes, Bishop, Carr to name a few

Maybe the manager could be the same ?

• toon22

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:13 AM

Munster

It’s never MAs fault

You have a minority view of the club, in the same group as Shola and the like

• TyneMouth

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:14 AM

This blog never ceases to amaze me.

Clicked on this morning, and the first post I read was Munster threatening to ‘report’ Tsunki to Ed!

Dear me, has the Blog morphed into a virtual Sunday school.

Tsunki, naughty boy, go stand in the corner, write 50 lines; “I shall not tell fibs about what Munster said”

What is the world coming to? Next thing we will be reading ‘Fans’ celebrating the glorious achievements of chairman Mike!

It’s a funny old world, Jim, but not as we know it!

• toon22

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:14 AM

Just an average fan who hates Rafa

In that special group of people who don’t mind Jabba

• Tsunki

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:15 AM

Bills son. Perhaps rotonda got all the hearts because people agree your the best free resource Mike Ashley could have on this blog.

• one fine day

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:15 AM

Guptill gone and a lost review

• giimps

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:15 AM

I think hes in China with the squad so im assuming so

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:15 AM

bills Son @1

And that is why I openly defended him on here using my regular account (I don’t have another), I agree with what he is saying.
    I too want our team to be great as it was around 70 years ago but it’s far from that now.

Seems to me that certain people cherry pick bits of comments and then use them to attack other posters, I find that attitude nasty and shameful, nowt wrong with honestly thought out criticism or a good argument but it gets taken too far by a minority on the blog.

That is my honest opinion feel free to slag it off if someone wants to.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Please no updates on cricket as I’m recording it and will disappear to watch it soon, cheers. 🙂

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Steve Bruce isn’t the problem, and he will likely get money for players that was largely denied him. He can quite conceivably have us in the top ten if we buy well. So what Carver and Shola are saying is fair enough. As fans you want to see the team do as well as it can.

The problem is squarely Ashley, because under Ashley we can never realistically have a squad that can hope to finish 8th or above, unless we dramatically over perform in the transfer market, which is a long bow. No proper investment in youth or facilities, means the onus is entirely on recruiting good young players before they pop. It hasn’t ever really worked, and it got us relegated twice.

That’s not Steve Bruce’s fault, and we do need a manager, and we do need to give our all to compete and stay up. Relegation puts us straight back to square one. Rafa has built a platform we should be able to progress steadily as a result.

To my mind if it’s to be Steve Bruce then he should be supported, and the wrath reserved purely for the entirely unambitious owner.

• Jib

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Tsunki
    I believe you can’t wait for Steve Bruces first win

mmm
    strange comment for a Toon supporter/fan

why shouldn’t he want a Toon win?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:18 AM

7 Hours 43 Minutes to Voodoo Doll and Magical Sigil time.

• optimistic prime

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:18 AM

If Toon22 was on the side of a coin Munster and Billson would be on the other.

• toon22

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:18 AM

All of this means only one thing

Jabba isn’t giving up and has mobilised every asset at his disposal
    He thinks he can turn back the clock on the fans and just go on asset stripping us forever
    He’s on a winner here as his making mega money

The more he tries to hold on the angrier we get
    It’s over Jabba and it seems you need us to help you see that

• Munster Mag

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:19 AM

What a miserable season coming. Watching clubs like Bournemouth sail away from us whilst we keeo losing. Bottom by Christmas, having to avoid motd. Listening to steve saying ‘we did wa best’ time after time. Wtf cud we nit find a coach abroad. Why??? Norwich got one when we were told foreign managers cudnt survive the championship ffs

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:19 AM

First sentence should read, “Steve Bruce isn’t the problem, and he will likely get money for players that was largely denied Rafa”.

• giimps

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:20 AM

Shola keeping his cards close to his chest, he says that if it is steve hes a geordie and has a good pedigree ( i wonder how he knows what kind of car or dog he has) but then goes on to say he hopes whoever comes in can do the best job and take us forward, no direct endorsement of mrs doubt-fire just a general throw away comment.
    Charber on the other hand is a dick

• optimistic prime

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:20 AM

Jib

Something wrong with using the full sentence?

Not like you to mis quote to stir the shite is it?

1 2 3 6