web analytics

Which Of These Former Premier League Managers Would You Prefer If Bruce Deal Falls Through?

With the Steve Bruce compensation fee likely being more than the accumulation of five years worth of his base yearly salary, we are not too positive on the likelihood that Steve Bruce will end up as the next manager of Newcastle United. Maybe positive is not the best term to use in this case, as we would be delighted if the deal were to fall through.

With that in mind, we have decided to create a poll for who you would prefer to be the next Newcastle manager. The criteria is that they have to have recently (within the past five years) coached in the Premier League and would not be an unreasonable selection i.e. Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger. We chose this criteria because that is reportedly what Mike Ashley is looking for.

While we have no idea if any of these candidates would even take the position to work under Scrooge McDuck, to the best of our knowledge none of them have publicly turned the job down. While some of these candidates have been linked to the job, some also have not. We also have a few former managers in the mix, though we admittedly understand they may be very unlikely to be asked.

The list is in alphabetical order by last name. I have made it obvious who my selection would be.

Which Of These Former Premier League Managers Would You Prefer?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• NY Mag

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:31 AM

OLG,

I’m back in my rightful place on the night (graveyard) shift….been out of the time zone for a while 🙂

• carltoon

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:31 AM

OLG your excused good evening

• carltoon

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:33 AM

NY yes I noticed You’ve been jetting all over the place. Did you get to come up North.

• Online Guy

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:36 AM

Bill

I have 3 old books in my Library …witches Bible etc ..will give you authors later ..also book of spells .

I did not go out and buy them, my Son’s and Daughters bring these things to me on significant dates and days.

They are mostly for Good…not Evil.

So I’m moving over to Voodoo.

It’s not over until the Fat bloke singes …at the stake.

• NY Mag

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:38 AM

Carltoon,

Each to their own…..no one can say any more or any less.
    You have the right to do what you want to do- don’t let anyone tell you different 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:39 AM

NY Mag

I remember when I used to sign on at the local job centre purely to get the NI stamp, I’d taken voluntary redundancy and didn’t qualify for actual money, my missus was doing likewise and we weren’t looking for work.

But there came a time when she was told she had to get a job and she with some incredulity looked at the long line of able bodied men waiting for their cash and she asked the interviewer why her and why not them? He answered, ‘Sorry Mrs EGB they are totally unemployable but you aren’t’

Morale to the story is that the main qualification seems to be be an Andy Capp sort of person. True story.

• toon22

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:43 AM

Wednesday

When the football speaks

After then people may or may not act
    But the truth is there for all to see

Can’t hide reality

• NY Mag

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:45 AM

Carltoon,

I did, I was only in the UK for ~36 hrs, but I got the train to Durham to see parents

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:48 AM

OLG

Voodoo is actually an old African religion based on ancestors and animism it has similarities to much modern and ancient paganism in that every living thing has a spirit.

It is not as many believe black magic, magic is only black if it is intended to be malicious or cause harm.

To put it in the vernacular, there’s nowt wrong with Voodoo.

• NY Mag

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:50 AM

Bill,

I was being a little bit sarcastic about the “System”…….anyway, seems me and you both (and your good lady wife)…..didn’t really benefit 🙂

• Online Guy

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:52 AM

Thanks Cartoon

I wont get into football politics at this hour but just to say If you or Bobbee go along to any games I know your history and just how dedicated you are .

I usually call on activists and people with a strong constitution when it comes to ousting Ashley ..its got to be done..fighting for supporters like you and our offspring in the long term .

Life is short so have fun..keep on doing what your doing. x

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:54 AM

toon22

Very Confucian, I’m impressed! 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:56 AM

NY Mag

We did as it happens, we both got part time jobs which we enjoyed and it helped to boost our pensions, but that’s another story! 😉

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jul 15, 2019 at 2:01 AM

2am here and i need to be up in the morning so it’s bed time, G’d night all.

It’s been illuminating and interesting.

• carltoon

Jul 15, 2019 at 2:04 AM

Goodnight lads going to get some beauty sleep don’t want to get ducked in the pond for being an auld hag . Durham NY what a lovely place to come from.

• NY Mag

Jul 15, 2019 at 2:05 AM

Bill,

Anything to boost your pension is a good thing…surely

Please, don’t call me shirley…….

• dig-n-dig22

Jul 15, 2019 at 3:14 AM

I would just like to chip in with my 2 penneth regarding why I favour the boycott even though I don’t go to games any more.
    I would like us all to go back to when Wenger first came to the Premiership and he in fact managed NUFC, not Arsenal, before Wenger came to Newcastle, we hadn’t won a domestic trophy in over 40yrs.

During Wenger’s 20+ years at NUFC he won us 1 League Cup trophy and as we hadn’t won a domestic trophy in 40 yrs, we idolised Wenger and worshipped the ground he walked on.
    Now back to reality, we all know Wenger went to Arsenal and over 20+ yrs, Wenger won 2 PL trophies god knows how many FA Cup’s+ 1 League Cup, very rarely missed out on a top 4 spot, very rarely Arsenal didn’t make the quater’s of C L, not to mention Charity Shield’s.

Arsenal fans got bored with winning FA Cup’s, they wanted PL and CL trophies. They started getting on Wenger’s back about 5yrs before Wenger actually left Arsenal, the Arsenal Board fought off the fans demands to sack Wenger for as long as they could, but when the Arsenal fans started to boycott home games, it didn’t need an empty Emirates for the fans to get their wish. When the attendances started dropping, you could noticeably see pockets of empty seats inside the Emirates and when attendances dropped by about 8.000, the Arsenal Board felt that they had to act and Wenger, despite his great contribution to Arsenal FC, was shown the door, NOT for finishing 4th bottom but for not finishing top 4 C L position in god knows how many yrs.

I chose Arsenal as an example to try get my point across, but really, I could have chosen any of the top 6, none of them do failure, because their fans won’t accept it, where as our fans are used as doormats .Ashley and his media boys claim we are guilty of delusion and should know our place , the only thing we are guilty of is, we actually believe it . Our bar is set way way too low. We need to demand accountability for those who are entrusted with the running of our club We to need demand that we are allowed to compete on a level playing field.

• Veltman

Jul 15, 2019 at 5:59 AM

People already started to jump on Bruce even without signing a contract.You should support him if he joins.It is not his fault.Took it as job opportunity.I would like it fail myself as I believe 5m compensation can get you a better coach like Howe or Arteta or someone similar.If it is Bruce,I wish him to do well and be smart enough to silence his critics.

• Blofal

Jul 15, 2019 at 6:27 AM

Harry McGuire – $80m
    Lewis Dunk – $45m
    Ayoze Perez – $30m

I know Ayoze has his buyout clause triggered but this is beyond a joke.

• optimistic prime

Jul 15, 2019 at 6:32 AM

Carlton

Divide and conquer, Ashley’s done us up like a kipper.

• optimistic prime

Jul 15, 2019 at 6:36 AM

I can’t see anyone in their right mind paying £5m compo for Bruce.

I also cant see Bruce leaving a job for £1m a year when his predecessor was on way more.

Its unbelievable to think Bruce will cost the same as Rafa for a season, it’s like dropping from a Mercedes to a Mondeo for the same price.

• jazzyp

Jul 15, 2019 at 6:54 AM

Carltoon

I didn’t see Charlie getting hammered by anyone because he still goes to games.I debated with him yes because of different view points,But isn’t that this blog is about????
    My argument is his excuses were lame at best and past tenths.The same kids will miss out crap,I’ve been going all my life shite…Well so have thousands more that are making a stand.
    Is it to much to miss a game or 2..Even all televised games??If ya an ST holder you still have your seat so no worries there,You still get to see the game as it’s on TV yes??.
    I have always thought Charlie as a good poster and enjoy his post match player report, But if was quite what he was saying and what he was gonna do were two different things

• hibbit

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:09 AM

Carltoon

for what its worth i think your making a huge mistake but it’s definitely yours to make,

#divide and conquer it works every time

• lochinvar

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:19 AM

Waddle Twaddle
    The Newcastle United job would represent the biggest challenge of Steve Bruce’s 21-year managerial career if he leaves Sheffield Wednesday to move to St James’ Park, says former Magpies winger Chris Waddle. (Newcastle Chronicle)

• Ron Knee

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:24 AM

John Gibson:

“Yes with Newcastle United nought is new, nothing is a major surprise, but what is happening right now is potentially as bad as anything I’ve witnessed over 53 years of reporting on United and a lifetime supporting them. It feels that bad.

“Whether relegation automatically follows or is thankfully avoided will eventually decide it’s (sic) position in history.

“Frightening, isn’t it?”

• Mindshaft

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:25 AM

I can’t see us buying anybody in the current predicament, selling clubs know we are absolutely desperate and will quadruple any fee automatically, same as swfc have done with Bruce compensation… It’s not rocket science – Ashley will need to pay through the nose to avoid relegation this season , Bruce must surely have already seen Ashley’s lies in action. Offered the job then ohbhold on… We have to pay compensation …sorry Steve , we’ve hung you out to dry , we don’t pay.
    Actually forget that last line, their won’t be an apology or any contact at all if comp talks break down

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:29 AM

Beaten Optimistic,

Any answers yet?

• lochinvar

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:31 AM

You’d run but you can’t hide

Sports Direct is delaying its results blaming the complexity of integrating House of Fraser, which it bought last year.
    It also said there was “uncertainty” over the future trading performance of HoF.
    Its preliminary results were due to be published on 18 July.

It is also due to the extra scrutiny that its auditor Grant Thornton has been placed under.

• jazzyp

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:32 AM

With the sound of it ,Dubs and Shar both looking to follow the path of Benitez and Perez..Who can blame em

• optimistic prime

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:32 AM

Bills

You should go to the doctors and get treatment for denial.

• lochinvar

• optimistic prime

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:40 AM

Sports Disrespect

• Toonboi4EVA

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:41 AM

Veltman:

Totally missing the point regarding Bruce’s appointment…

Silence his critics?

Your exactly the type of “fan” we don’t need anywhere near the ground this season based on that comment!

1 3 4 5