web analytics

Steve Bruce Speaks As Newcastle Head Coach And More Pictures From Training

Steve Bruce gave his first interview to NUFC TV after attending his first training session.

This is the tweet of a section of the interview along with a link to the full interview which lasts close to 5 minutes for those who are able to watch it.

What we gathered from this interview is that Steve Bruce is very calm and very pragmatic. He certainly sounds like a good man-manager and we can see why those who have played for him like him.

Though he has always accorded himself well in the press despite being in difficult circumstances.

He seems to have allowed the transition from Ben Dawson and Neil Redfearn to be smooth as he said he took a more observant approach to training today.

He also says that he has taken cues from Dawson and Redfearn on the status of the squad at the moment. It looks as if they are in good shape with only Dwight Gayle suffering from a slight calf injury

Bruce speaks of his regret of not taking the job after Bobby Robson and that it has stuck with him all of these years.

Steve also says that he knows he is not Rafa but that it is his job to try and move the club forward. While he mentions the loss of Salomon Rondon and Ayoze Perez, he does say that they are in the process of resolving those losses.

Here is a link provided by the club to about 40 pictures of today’s training session.

• crawfordm

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:45 PM

Last in line appointment, a yes man – lowest paid manager. Where is your pride man !!!!

• Stardust

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:46 PM

thanks Simon376

• lochinvar

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:46 PM

Wonder if Ashley will be back after a another slice of Debenhams ?
    Now if he had some spare cash from selling another business that could help.

Debenhams is poised to seek more financial help to see it through to the crucial Christmas trading period just three months after investors were wiped out when the chain crashed into administration.

Sky News has learnt that the department store group has told its lending syndicate that it expects to require access to additional borrowing facilities of about £50m as soon as this autumn.

The disclosure will raise renewed questions about Debenhams’ trading performance since an insolvency process in April led to it being taken over by its creditors.

• beefman13

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:46 PM

After the initial shock, it seems that a lot of bloggers are going down the line of give him a chanc?!?!
    Meanwhile Lee Charnley is reading the posts in hysterics with his pants round his ankles having a good old toss, laughing his tits off.
    He isn’t getting no chances from me, the con is on again, he’s a RAT and a sewer one at that.
    Give him a chance and the hiarchy get ANOTHER chance also.
    Stop blowing frigan hot air for god sake, they are f in us over again, make a stand. DON’T RENEW.

• Tsunki

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:51 PM

Who days teams won’t trample all over us?

And so the lambs start silently walking to the slaughter.

It’s obvious that at best the point of Ashley’s husk of a club completely flies over the head of some. The pathetic sight of seeing in type (and reposted mind you!) Benny10’s apathetic wishy washy compliance is an insult to those who supported the team when it was a real sporting entity and their representative.

I can only hope they don’t have kids that need a critical medical procedure because they’d probably not get it done so they don’t harm their school attendance. Pathetic.

• Tsunki

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:51 PM

Who says etc…

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:53 PM

Year in year out we get led down the path with take over rumours – boycotts / protests get planned but soon the will is lost.

Until, that is, this year when the perfect storm has hit SJP and the anger reaches fever pitch with protests at ShiteDirect in the close season a larger amount of unsold STs and threats of an empty stadium.

So what does fatboy do – promises of a marque signing in the shape of Jo from Linton – not exactly pulling up trees but at least is shows – dare I say it – ambition. Of course he is not over the line yet and this could all be a ruse to halt the anger and appease the fans – some of who are showing signs of returning to the fold – business as usual as Chumley would say (if he ever says anything)

• Jib

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:53 PM

beefman13
    You’re about 2 weeks behind
    Those that have no intention of renewing have
    made their wishes known – those that intend to
    renew will not be persuaded otherwise now.

• Billy Whitehursts V sign

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:54 PM

So we (it will always be we!) have gone for Steve Bruce as Head Coach. Somehow we have managed to go from European Champion, hugely successful manager to struggling championship manager. Nothing against Steve Bruce he seems like a nice guy and I am not sure who would be better or more acceptable currently.
    Not only that but we have an unknown (virtually) picking his players. He is doing this with a huge emphasis on potential sell on value. We are also doing this with, as yet, not idea of set up, tactics, other additions and leavers.
    Haven’t we been here before? Are we not employing a model that has already been proven to fail. Resting huge hopes on a 22 year old kid with 7 goals last season and limited experience (Mitro anyone?)
    Like everyone I think we ended last season with hope and a real potential for excitement (arent we an excitable people?!). Let me qualify the excitement bit, a great manager, a few quid to spend, safety assured? And God forbid a cup run! Wouldn’t that get our beans jumping?
    No one said top six, no one said challenging, no one said attacking or free flowing we just hoped for competitive.
    Yes we needed Rafa to stay but surely they would see things his way? Surely they would trust him? Surely they would let him continue to build? Surely they would risk even just a little?
    Instead we trust a nobody to spend £91 million pounds (not saying I believe that figure). A nobody with no consequences if it goes wrong.
    I just can’t understand any of it, nowt makes sense.
    How can you run any football club, any business like this?
    How can you have no direction?
    How can you have no apparent plan B?
    How can you seemingly knowingly, disenfranchise your entire customer base?
    How can Lee Charnley still be in a job? Is this mess not due to his failings?
    As you can tell I am nowhere near accepting any of this yet
    It’s not sport if your not trying

• Asi Fish

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:54 PM

MA has killed my luv of transfer windows & deadline days.
    MA has killed my excitement for start of the season.
    MA has killed any intrigue into player, manager, takeover rumours.
    MA has killed my dedication to NUFC.

I hope he is gone before we move back to the NE next year otherwise one of my main reasons for choosing to settle down there (again) is dead.

Might have to follow Perez to Leicester for this season lol………….

• PotugueseTOON

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:54 PM

Hello guys..
    I am disappointed to see that they already speak here to give the new coach a chance,
    The idea of ??boycotting the game with Arsenal seems to be disappearing, at least here on the blog.
    Where is the ambition to fight for the highest places of PL? If they are already conformed to Steve Bruce just to not be relegated !!!
    I would like to see more ambition of some, it is very beautiful to support in good or bad hours, but here it has always been in the longest hours …
    I do not know why but I learned to love this club, especially because of the supporters and of Sir, BB.
    I’m far away and I can not express myself as you can.
    I hope they wake up to reality, or we want to be an ambitious GIANT again, or we want to be just a giant club struggling not to be relegated.
    I hope they do not settle down again.
    Sorry if I offended anyone and apologize for my English too.
    Howay the lads

• Jib

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:55 PM

Tsunki
    You are in danger of becoming a bore
    We get it.
    Find something new to say

• RobLeenio

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:56 PM

I think we’ll get a better idea of how many intend to not renew this time next year – the rollover ten-year deal is masking the true figures by maybe as much as another 10-15k.

• Jib

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:57 PM

PorugueseTOON
    Um grande esforço e bem-vindo

• captainmarvel

Jul 18, 2019 at 4:59 PM

Excellent post Billy! Meanwhile the sheep are restless again…

• Tsunki

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:00 PM

Dad – “Inoculations? No need to bother son. Not worth the pain of an injection. You don’t want that, do you? A nasty injection?

Kid – “Thanks Dad no I don’t want any needles. But I heard them say I could get really sick and could even die if I caught some of those diseases…”

Dad – “It’s ok, son don’t worry, if you get them it probably won’t be too bad. And I don’t mind taking the chance.”

Kid – “Thanks dad for looking after me!”

Dad – “No bother son. No bother at all actually”.

• Jib

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:02 PM

Some great Indian restaurants in Leicester

• Tsunki

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:02 PM

Jib I’ll just stand next to you. I’ll be fine.

I’ll have something new to say when the oily walrus leaves town so if you help it might not be a long time ha ha.

• PotugueseTOON

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:02 PM

• jazzyp

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:06 PM

ul 22, 2018 at 2:32 PM
    Rafa is a proud man who will honour his contract at aNUFC. He will ‘wheel & deal’ and produce a team which stays in the premier league. He will do that for the fans and the city who love him. However, he will walk at the end of the season knowing that he gave his best in an impossible situation.
    Rafa has stated many times the potential Nufc have is in terms what project he had when he took the helm at Liverpool.Sadly this has been diminished over time by the lack of any Ambition or optimism from the owner.
    Sad times ahead and this is not a post of Negativity, More of shear frustration that us as fans are being let down again through yet another transfer window.
    Ashley has proven he is more than willing to gamble with the future of the club and will never bow down to anyone whether right or wrong.

How true does this post ring now from last summer. A year later we are still in turmoil

• Jib

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:06 PM

YW = you’re welcome = não há de quê

• Novocastrian66

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:07 PM

RobLeenio; I was on a 10 year deal, it’s straightforward to chuck it. Mind you if someone hasn’t stopped their payments by now they may as well continue until January.

• Stardust

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:09 PM

I am still not supporting them. When I say being ok about bruce im thinking more along the lines of not hating him so much.
    They still brought in a traitor and mackem gang. Charnley will not be forgiven for that.
    But my hatred has been bordering on hoping these lose. Whereas if I stop hating Bruce and his mackem gang I can probably at least still hope they get enough results to stay up

• Jib

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:15 PM

Some seem able to detach their dislike of
    the owner from the welfare of the club as
    a sporting entity .

Others bundle everything together

Neither is right nor wrong just a different perspective

• Jib

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:16 PM

Then there’s Robleenio
    who has more mood swings than wor lass
    😛

• Moonraker15

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:18 PM

Stardust
    Well said re “Mackem” Bruce!
    It had to be difficult to turn his back on SW after the way they treated him whilst mourning his man and dad.
    To me it just confirmed his love for the club; after all Shearer warned him it was a poisoned chalice!

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:22 PM

Robleenio – Bill’s, do you not get it? Your club is dead,

Dead??

We are alive and kicking in the PREM.

Dead??

There will be 40,000+ at the Arsenal game despite the boycott.

Dead??

Looks like we might spend £35M+ on player with more to follow.

Dead??

We’ve just scared Man U off with a £50M valuation on Longstaff.

Robleenio…

You strike me as someone who wants to play to the baying crowd on here, you act like the Pied Piper whistling out more and ever more ridiculous denouncements to keep the blog dancing to your tune.

And nothing was more ridiculous than saying everybody at the Arsenal game, but me, would only be there because they didn’t care about Ashley. Are you for real?

The club is only dead in the graveyard minds of people like you.

• chancel be a fine thing

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:23 PM

Steve Bruce: “I hope to prove the Doubtfire’s wrong”. Even his own family have no belief in him. It doesn’t bode well.

• RobLeenio

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:23 PM

Jib, that’s possibly the wisest thing I’ve seen you write.

The detachment thing, not the mood swings.

😉

I’m really struggling to detach myself – very conflicted. I want Ashley out, but want the club to do well, I can’t help it. It’s a horrible situation for all of us.

I don’t think I’m unique, by the way.

• jazzyp

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:26 PM

I do

• Moonraker15

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:26 PM

We fans have a dilemma and Ashley knows this! We want desperately success for the club so our support, however passive is always there whilst Ashley just wants a profit and no success!
    What he doesn’t see is that success would bring him great PR and reflected glory; hence money!

• RobLeenio

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:27 PM

Novo, fair play mate – wasn’t sure if it had been possible for people to cancel or not. I guess some would cancel and lose their money regardless, but others may not be able to justify that.

Others will keep their tickets for now but stay away from the match regardless. Those who do that may actually have the biggest impact visually, anyway, as their seats cannot be sold and will remain empty for the TV cameras no matter what.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:27 PM

Had a good laugh at this one…

Mag P – Bills Son, You sound like a spoilt child that can’t accept that other people have different opinions. One that also believes that he ‘wins’ arguments because his opinion is better.

Errrr…….

I think it’s the other way round pal.

I express my opinions and put up a reasoned argument as to why I have them.

The baying crowd on here however just slag me off, call me a cretin and worse and then, like you, have the gall to say I can’t accept people have other opinions.

Pot calling the kettle blacker than black there.

• dig-n-dig22

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:37 PM

Benny 10 #1

If you wake up tomorrow and the next day, the day after and we still have Ashley as our owner,then nothing has changed for the better, no different to the last 12yrs? , so the Spiv,Wide boy conman has done a job on you, thrown the little boy a few sweeties ,wasn’t even difficult, YOU SUCKER!!!

• Mag52

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:42 PM

AO.

• hibbit

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:45 PM

so very disappointing how many posters on here are falling for Ashley’s 3 card trick, have you not learnt anything over the last 12 years, Ashley’s PR onslaught has certainly paid off on here, even posters who over the last 5/6 years have repeatedly called st holders and other match going fans sheep and very often a lot worse are now calling for Bruce to be given a chance,
    it hasn’t taken a lot for you turn tail and run, once again Ashley has out smarted out flanked you and general F##ked you over and what do you do, you come crawling back “please sir can i have some more” the yellow streak must a mile wide down some of your backs,

• chancel be a fine thing

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:46 PM

I think we will start the season with a better first team and squad than last year. Almiron made a huge difference to our attacking play when he arrived and was missing at the end of the season. Our form in the second half of the season was comfortably top half. But alas Ashley the momentum killer struck again.
    I think with the additions of Joelinton and that French winger, we will have a front 3 that, on the break, will frighten teams. I know very little of Bruce’s mangement style and skills, but saw a few Villa games with him in charge and it didn’t inspire. I think the most telling indicator is that he left Villa going nowhere, in mid table; then his replacement got them promoted.
    To me, the best managers are the ones who get more out of a team than the sum of it’s parts. IMO Rafa was like this. If I had to choose a manager from the ‘crap English manager merry-go-round’, I would go for Neil Warnock. Not a popular choice, I know; he’s a sour faced moaner, that would put some of our bloggers to shame. But he does have a record of getting the most out of his teams. He has the most promotions of any manager in the English game. He took over Cardiff in serious relegation trouble, saved them from relegation and the next season (when they were one of the favourites for relegation) gained automatic promotion. He then, when firm favourites for relegation, nearly kept them in the premier league. If it was for some truly appalling, point stealing refereeing decisions and the death of their new striker, I suspect they may have stayed up.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:49 PM

We said JFK was sh*t. We gave him a chance. He WAS sh*t.
    We said Pardew was sh*t. We gave him a chance. He WAS sh*t.
    We said Carver was sh*t. We gave him a chance. He WAS sh*t.
    We said McLaren was sh*t. We gave him a chance. He WAS sh*t.
    I’m not given Bruce a chance. I know he’s sh*t.

Why can’t we scout upcoming managers that have good winning records from the lower leagues or Europe?

• lesh

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:51 PM

I may be wrong but wasn’t there some talk of Freddy Shepherd trying to set up a link of sorts between NUFC and Dalian Yifang?

Come on Jib, prove your worth and give Google a howkin’!

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:53 PM

It’s not just the fact that Bruce is unsuccessful and archaic, he doesn’t even manage to lose in an attractive style. We’re going to lose playing crap football.