web analytics

Achraf Lazaar Looks To Resurrect His Career Under Bruce

The Chronicle have an interview with left-back Achraf Lazaar who will be looking to resurrect his career at Newcastle.

Things have certainly not gone well for the Moroccan since moving to Newcastle three years ago now from Italian side Palermo.

He was a player that Rafa Benitez just did not seem to have faith in and he will be hoping to get an opportunity under Steve Bruce.

Achraf Lazaar– had a rough time against Wolves

Lazaar was on loan at Sheffield Wednesday under Steve Bruce the second half of last season. Though he ended up making only four appearances at Hillsborough.

This loan spell came after a disastrous one at Benevento when the Italian club left him out of their 25 man squad for the second half of the season to make room for former Arsenal right-back Bacary Sagna.

Lazaar seems like a very gregarious individual and he’s always just smiling away. However, he just has not played much football in the past three years.

When Rafa Benitez makes his mind up about a player, he rarely changes it. It’s happened to a few players who have returned and will hope to feature more under Steve Bruce.

Players like Henri Saivet, Jack Colback, and Rolando Aarons will all be pushing to make this Newcastle squad. However, they just may not be good enough for the Premier League.

This is what Achraf has said to Lee Ryder earlier:

“Before I was thinking it was one big drama for me, because I never thought it would happen to me – not playing, being in a big team and then put outside of the team.

“But I got a big experience, and I went to Sheffield Wednesday.

“They helped my career, they helped me a lot. I got my confidence.

“I got everything I needed to have. I’m back here and I’m going to give everything and work hard every single day and we will see what will happen.

“Before I went to Sheffield Wednesday I talked about him with my team-mates in Morocco and some team-mates in England. They talked so good about him.

“He’s helped a lot of people. He’s a great manager.

“I’m so happy to see him again and work with him, because I think he was one of the people who helped me a lot.

“I’m happy he signed for the club.

“I can’t wait to see him and to work again with him. We will see.”

Our hope is that Lazaar can be a decent squad player for Newcastle next season however we do have our doubts.

He just does not seem to be Premier League quality, though we will be more than happy to be proven wrong.

• Nufc-83

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:06 AM

Toon222 Ash was going to back Rafa but Rafa wanted a significant increase in wages which in my opinion was not justified. We are a club that can’t be competing with the top 4-6 in terms of wages (manager or players) and was on a fantastic salary already. Rafa talked about wanting to compete yet has gone to China so that tells me everything about the man I once thought was the greatest thing since SBR.

I also understand he wanted investment in facilities and youth at the club along with full control of transfers (scrapping the under 26 policy). This I agree with him on and he should have been given this however Bruce won’t be getting this.

• hibbit

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:10 AM

toontiotenufc
    have you not learned anything at all from the last 12 years, Ashley is a master at his craft and plays fans like you and me depending on our unswerving loyalty he’s played us for years,

this latest fiasco is just another example of the methods he uses F##k them over there upset, throw a bit money at it, hoy in the odd rumour we come crawling back, and so the cycle begins again till the next time nowt’s changed has it ????????

• hibbit

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:14 AM

Nufc-83

what does it tell you about Rafa ?

• Toon222

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:15 AM

Nufc83

It would hav been wiser for ashley to give rafa wot he wanted, a few extra million a year rafa wanted for all the shit and broken promises wasnt much and the investments in youth and facilities would have benefitted ashley massively, if rafa had brought players thru like he did longstaff the ashley wouldnt need to sign as many, ashley is our problem and always will b, u say we cant pay top 4 or top 6 wages but we had a top 4 class manager, if ur at the very top or near it in the field u work in then why shouldnt u demand the top bucks

Anyway i need 2 shoot on, i hav bucks 2 make and sitn on here wont put bread on the table lol

Hav a nice day

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:22 AM

On one hand we are breaking our transfer record yet on the other giving Lazaar yet another chance (to be a cheap new player).

How many chances has he failed to take???

Seems to me Jolinton is a smoke screen for business as usual – crouchy on standby – waiting for the ‘couldn’t get him over the line’ note from pro ash press

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:25 AM

I don’t think wages are the reason Rafa left us. He could have got 12m three years ago in China but he came to us for a psupers 6m. I don’t know how he fed his family on such meagre wages. Anyway he has left us for footballing reasons, tired of being d*cked about and disrespected. After doing so well I’d be fuming to be offered the same wages and a one year deal. If you do well you should get a raise. I think he made the right decision to leave. But maybe the wrong decision to go to China but that’s his choice. In three years he can get 36m plus bonus and there’s no pressure over there. Then hopefully we will see him back in Europe adding to his trophy collection. A man like Rafa should be competing at the top with the other greats.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:30 AM

Are Dubious Micky, Online Guy, The Dentist, Mund and Elmanio ever going to bring up BZG again?

• It's on

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:32 AM

Excluding any incoming players today, we need to remove 4 from the first team squad of 25 (excluding U21s). Who is to go. I assume we will all agree that Elliot will be one of the four.

• posada

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:32 AM

NY Mag
    You say that MA could only take money out of the club as dividends or an income as a director.
    What about his interest free loan to the club.
    At one stage over 100M.
    Could he not simply pay off some of that loan.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:33 AM

Tony, Tony, Tony… Don’t say anything bad about Dubious Micky. He was only trying to help and his MIS-information was all done in a good spirit to help us all out with his vast knowledge of mid-east politics and royal families.

That he was totally wrong doesn’t matter at all. He was just trying to be helpful that’s all.

• It's on

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:35 AM

Do you think Brucie goes into the changing room and shouts “Nice to see you, to see you ….”?

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:35 AM

From Cabbage Heeds press conference:

“The big one (claim) is – I am going to sit here and be a puppet!.” – didn’t see his lips move

“I will have control of who we bring in” – Ash had his fingers crossed at this one – ask any of the previous incumbents

“With the loss of Perez and Rondon it is where we have to immediately take a look. Make no mistake, we are active as we speak and hopefully we will get them over the line” – straight out of the Chumley play book – especially “hopefully” and “over the line”

Sounds like wor cabbage has had the wool pulled over his eyes regarding transfer policy – we buy now to profit later (sooner the better). Note new mention of new facilities – I heard one of the wheelie bins had sprung a leak. I guess the pics of the new black paint work at SJP sufficed in that area – CABBAGEOOT / FATASHOOT

• Munster Mag

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:36 AM

Love the collar on that shirt. And the crest. The rest is awful. Worst since the barcodes. Take off the crest and its like something from SD.

• welshgeordie9

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:36 AM

Dubious Micky

Ha ha ha

Very good Tony

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:37 AM

Catching up on the nightshift,
    So toon22 and sky say a 5m net spend over 12 years and NY mag calculates it at -40m if I remember correctly.

Arent you both saying more or less the same thing?. There’s not much difference in those figures over 12 years and can easily be explained as many sources list different prices and sign on fees aren’t publicised at the time meaning many sources guess.

But if we must split hsirs, if anything NY mags calculations are more damning to Ashley than toon22/ Sky’s 5m net which is closer to every last penny and can therefore be seen as pro Ashley PR shillery.

Unless I’m not reading correctly, but it seems like they should swap their stats to make their arguments match.

• welshgeordie9

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:37 AM

How would anyone on here know what’s going on.

• It's on

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:38 AM

posada, that would be simply take some of the loan back. Yes NUFC owe MA £100m which he can suck out when he wants. 2017-18 he loaned a further £10m and took it back in the same year.

I think he needs the cash now as SD looks like its going down the toilet.

• welshgeordie9

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:38 AM

Its like asking kets who he thinks the club are going to sign.

• posada

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:39 AM

Lazzar, Saivet and Aarons have had more than enough chances.
    4 games for Shef Wed says it all.

• posada

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:46 AM

Its on
    If he paid back his loan perhaps he would take less for the club.
    Sports Direct have to file their accounts within a few weeks. We will see what that brings.
    Ashley is not the sole owner of SD. However, he treats it as his own.
    No dividend paid out. He decides what they invest in.
    The other investors are not happy at all.

• Munster Mag

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:47 AM

Was OLG the guy who was testing my love of mashley by asking if i wud defecate on his grave? I cant be arsed (ooh er) looking back but maybe you can clarify olg? Strange barometer.

• posada

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:51 AM

At least I’ve had at chuckle from my morning check of the blog.
    Wor Cabbage !