web analytics

Report – Newcastle Will Look To Bring Back Familiar Face To Newcastle

According to the Daily Mail, James Tavernier is a transfer target for Newcastle United.

The 27-year-old right-back left Newcastle for Wigan in 2014 and is now the captain at Rangers in Scotland. He has certainly blossomed into an excellent right-back in Scotland.

The Newcastle youth academy product had an outstanding campaign last season. He scored 17 goals with 20 assists in all competitions for Steven Gerrard’s side.

Overall he has made 198 appearances for Rangers and became their captain towards the end of 2018.

James Tavernier– the younger version

Steven Gerrard is not going to want to lose his captain who still has three years remaining on his which he signed this past September.

While the Scottish Premier League is far from being a top league at the moment, 17 goals and 20 assists is an impressive return no matter where you play.

Though being twenty-seven, he may be slightly over the age that Newcastle are willing to bring in. Especially if he will command a substantial fee.

We think James would be an upgrade at right-back, and for a reasonable fee would be an excellent signing.

He made just ten first-team appearances for Newcastle prior to leaving five years ago.

• IrishRob

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:12 PM

Bob….. the difference is I’m not saying it’s going to fail before it happens.

• Zele

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:12 PM

Mund,

If we play 3-5-2 with Joelinton and Almiron upfront where would Murphy fit in ?

• optimistic prime

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:12 PM

Bobby

Have you seen the one that’s multiple old kits togther, its horrendous.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:16 PM

Bobbybee,
    If boycotting and protests won’t work we just have to sit back and let him do what he wants until he thinks there’s no more money to be bled from us.

• Jib

Ritchie
    Gayle
    Atsu
    Almiron
    Joelinton
    Muto

Feel free to chop it to bits

• Mund

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:18 PM

On the bench mate i dont mean for him to start he is a long way off that but he can be an effective sub if he keeps making the kind of runs he did today, direct and get balls into the box

• Bobbybee

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:20 PM

OP, no, not yet. I look forward to that pleasure.

Rob, you’re not reading it properly. I say I don’t THINK it will work because it never has. Nowhere have I said it won’t work. The precedents don’t look good do they?

• DaveD1000

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:22 PM

Citeh’s Rhubarb and Custard strip is a dazzler

• geordietom

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:22 PM

cheers for the translation jib …

• Ron Knee

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:22 PM

“in den kommenden Stunden”

“in the coming hours”; i.e. very soon!

• geordietom

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:24 PM

and Ron …

• Bobbybee

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:26 PM

Jail, I don’t know what the answer is. People need to read what I wrote. I’m not saying it won’t work, I’m giving an alternative viewpoint that is valid. All this bile being thrown around is embarrassing frankly.
    It comes down to how you feel. Boycott or don’t, but each side has a valid argument and calling people names who don’t agree is about as sad as it gets. That was my point.

• onmeedsun

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:28 PM

Wolves, Watford, Leicester, Everton, West Ham. They are spending more than us on net transfers because the owners didn’t have to spend £250m acquiring their clubs. Ashley overpaid and didn’t realise there was a £100m mortgage to pay on change of ownership. We have also had to fund 2 relegations at a cash cost of circa £150m. This is why out net investment is so low, and explains why there should be available cash now, as relegation losses have now been repaid.

• Obafan

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:29 PM

For me Muto is going to be important this season. He works hard and has a good run behind defenders. He was never given a fair chance under Rafa, like Saivet.

Players to get rid ASAP:
    Murphy (what a waste of space)
    Colback (never thought I would see him again in a NUFC top)
    Darlow (worst GK of the ones we have got)
    Lazaar (I don’t see any potential here)
    Aarons (will never really break through IMO)

• toon22

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:31 PM

If we spent 200 million in the next 19 days it would still be a net spend of less than 20 million on players pre season for the last 12 years

That’s assuming we didn’t sell anyone

How much tv money alone in the last 12 years ?

• toon22

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:32 PM

Onmeedsun

Twaddle

It’s never Jabbas fault

• IrishRob

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:32 PM

Bob I knew exactly what you meant. Saying you dont think it will work is the exact same as saying it wont work without the accountability.

You’re still losing seeds of doubt in people’s minds, people who maybe be convinced to attend who otherwise wouldn’t have. Which will kill any chance it has of working.

• IrishRob

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM

Planting seeds*

• toon22

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM

JIB

Your alt Tony still watchin the golf ?

😉

• bettyswallocks

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:34 PM

I can’t imagine that we will ever reach a stage where the majority of fans are hoping that we lose matches. Indifference to results and focusing on ways to remove the owner by not giving him money is not the same as hoping the team lose.
    I think it is a worry for many fans that if we are relegated , we could then fade away into oblivion ala Sunlun.
    The problem for many of us older fans is we don’t want to wait years watching us drop down the divisions and then having to wait more years to rebuild a competetive team.

• Toonces

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:34 PM

Bobby – this isn’t specifically directed at you but I understand your concern about whether the boycott will work or not.

I’m in the USA so I can’t tell someone to boycott or not.

I don’t think the boycott is really about costing Ashley a lower matchday return – It’s about getting the attention of the media to talk about why the fans are boycotting. A boycott at St. James Park will mean something and it will be noticed in the press and TV studios. Toon fans not packing St. James is a big deal.

In this way I think maybe it will have a better chance than the other examples you are referencing.

Every PL match is televised globally – to say you’ll only boycott televised matches means you should boycott all of them – but I get that you mean the games to be televised in the UK.

All I can suggest is that if you choose to go to the games then be heard – take advantage that you are in a stadium with the attention of the TV cameras and sporting media from around the world. Make it known that you don’t want Ashley at the club. Join a protest against Ashley before or after the match if you can. Get the media to talk about the fans actions against Ashley and how bad of an owner he is.

While there are some in the media who still stick to the tired adage that Toon supporters are deluded there are more and more that are starting to talk about what a poor owner Ashley has been. If action against Ashley is going to work, this is probably the best chance it has had in years.

• IrishRob

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:35 PM

I dunno maybe I’m bring too Pedantic about things at times.

• toon22

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:35 PM

Bob

Let’s not protest, sit back and take it up the chufta from Jabba for another 12 years

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:37 PM

I’d over the moon if Tavernier made a comeback. I always said he’d be a top player. Seen him play quite a few times for Gateshead and once or twice for Toon and Rotherham and he was always excellent. Just need Vuckic, Armstrong, Campbell, and Abeid to come good then I wasn’t wrong about all those young players I predicted bright futures for.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:41 PM

As I first posted about when Bruce looked likely last week, given the personell of our squad we’re going to be using the tactics he used at Hull. A 3-5-2 with 3 proper CMs and a more clear 2 attacking players, rather than Rafa’s take on the same formation with two supporting players for a single ST who drop into the midfield.

Excited about the trio of Longstaff/Hayden/Shelvey. They will complement each other so well.

Get Joelinton and have him and Almiron as the front two and that is a rapid pair. Yedlin out at RWB too with all the space to run unto and a happy Shelvey given his favourable role to find them all. Promising.

Muto looked better and happy playing as a ST, just like when he played there and scored against Man U last season.

Immediately looked more organised and focused today now everything is sorted.

Given how it looks like we’re going to play we will need at least one more forward player in addition to Joelinton, a CM and a LWB.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:44 PM

Bobby,
    I wasn’t having a go, just saying I don’t know the answer either, It’s either protest and boycott or neither. It’s daunting.

• Zele

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:45 PM

Obafan,

I would add Clark to your list as Dummitt can operate very successfully as a left sided central defender.

• Zele

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:47 PM

Jib,

From your list of 25 who would you see as first choice in a 3-5-2 formation ?

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:49 PM

Jib

Can’t see us brining in Tavernier without either Yedlin or Manquillo leaving.

Matty Longstaff out on loan and another quality CM needed.

No need for 4 GKs so Harker out on loan.

Bring in Bowen/Harry Wilson/Welbeck for that space.

• Lindisfarne

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:52 PM

“It took almost every trick in his extensive playbook to secure two mid-table finishes and, even then, Benítez presided over some lengthy losing runs.”

• Jib

Lonstaff S
    Ritche
    Almiron
    Joelinton

• beefman13

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:01 PM

Steve Bruce with his toon polo top and Sunderland vest on underneath, cannot get my head around him as our manager. Git.

• toon22

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:01 PM

“There have been a couple of things said – and the big one is whether I am going to sit here and be a puppet,” he said.
    That won’t happen – I am in charge of transfers. To say I won’t be in charge of recruitment has insulted me.

“Let me tell you, if I thought I couldn’t have control of transfers, then I wouldn’t be doing the job.

“We’ve talked about budgets and it was pretty straight forward.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• toon22

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:02 PM

Its like groundhog day

The traitors either a puppet or deluded

• bettyswallocks

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:03 PM

There is one individual that has sickened the fans to such a degree that it has affected the desire to support the club in a normal way. Once this piece of excrement is removed from the soles of our shoes the fans will reunite behind the team and support it with total commitment win, lose or draw.

• Markaccus

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:03 PM

I wonder if the Idiot in charge realises that Bruce doesn’t have the ability to do what Rafa did with what added up to a Championship squad, and has decided to invest in players to make up for that gap in managerial talent.

Basically, we can have EITHER a top quality manager, OR a squad that would have a chance of winning something (but only under a quality manager). Not both at once. Sad.

• Jib

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:03 PM

remember as well as the 25
    you are allowed as many u21’s as you want

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:05 PM

The reason Bruce left Hull was over transfers and not seeing eye to eye with the chairman on that issue, so I don’t know why people find it hard to believe he isn’t a yes man. Proven he stands his ground.

Nothing like puppet Pardew or McClown.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:17 PM

He hasn’t decided to invest in players. We have a budget that Rafa could have had, but £12m a year meant more to him. Hard truth.

• Jib

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:18 PM

I remember when I said a few managers in the PL
    will follow Rafa’s lead in how to play Man City I got