web analytics

Report – Newcastle Will Look To Bring Back Familiar Face To Newcastle

According to the Daily Mail, James Tavernier is a transfer target for Newcastle United.

The 27-year-old right-back left Newcastle for Wigan in 2014 and is now the captain at Rangers in Scotland. He has certainly blossomed into an excellent right-back in Scotland.

The Newcastle youth academy product had an outstanding campaign last season. He scored 17 goals with 20 assists in all competitions for Steven Gerrard’s side.

Overall he has made 198 appearances for Rangers and became their captain towards the end of 2018.

James Tavernier– the younger version

Steven Gerrard is not going to want to lose his captain who still has three years remaining on his which he signed this past September.

While the Scottish Premier League is far from being a top league at the moment, 17 goals and 20 assists is an impressive return no matter where you play.

Though being twenty-seven, he may be slightly over the age that Newcastle are willing to bring in. Especially if he will command a substantial fee.

We think James would be an upgrade at right-back, and for a reasonable fee would be an excellent signing.

He made just ten first-team appearances for Newcastle prior to leaving five years ago.

• Bobbybee

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:21 PM

Jail, one problem is visibly clear. That protest the other night? From what we hear on here and twitter and The Mag you’d expect thousands there. There wasn’t. Easy being a keyboard warrior, but when it comes down to action… They don’t turn up.
    I went on three marches and we got 300 being generous.
    I’ll boycott televised games. I’ll do my bit as best I can. I even had to wear my Warren Barton official shirt last season rather than buy a new one. I don’t drink and eat in the ground, haven’t for seasons.
    But to be totally honest, I don’t see him leaving until he gets what he asks for the club. That’s my honest opinion.

• Reilly

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:24 PM

Mark Douglas
    @MsiDouglas
    Hoffenheim director of football Alexander Rosen says #nufc deal for Joelinton in “home stretch”.

“There are things in contracts and clearing processes that take more than 24 hours.”

Deal expected to be completed Monday.

• Zele

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:25 PM

Jib,

That’s the team I would have picked too.

I had a question mark for the right wingback position as I wasn’t entirely convinced by Yedlin or Manquillo.

I remember Tavernier and was surprised he left. I haven’t seen him play for Rangers but his stats look impressive even in the poorer Scottish leagues.

• mac the jaffrey

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:31 PM

• Markaccus

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:34 PM

Rafa would not get the players that seem to be coming in for Bruce, because Rafa showed he can keep a sub standard squad up. This time Ashley has a cheap manager, so he is having to stump up for players. That’s a hard truth for the Ashley sympathisers.

• Toonces

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:34 PM

Hail

We get it, you don’t like Rafa. You made this clear during Rafa’s time at the club.

But just because there might be a decent transfer budget (finally) doesn’t mean it is what Rafa was hoping for.

You know that it was about being able to build the club infrastructure and have more flexibility with transfers to buy players he wanted and to balance the squad with experience as well as younger players with potential. But you choose to ignore it and say Rafa just wanted a big salary. You think he should have taken what Ashley was offering and suck it up, despite Ashleys problems with honesty and integrity.

You keep pointing to Rafa’s new salary just means you’re a jealous w@nker.

• Bobbybee

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:34 PM

If we concede any pens I hope it’s against these two lol.

• optimistic prime

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:45 PM

I bet Rangers are desperate to do business with Sports Direct owner Mike Ashleys Nufc.

70% off or a 500% mark up?

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:45 PM

The truth stings it seems!

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:47 PM

Bladey – Colback could be useful?? My god he was shit for forest and when he was here was one of the worst midfielders I have ever seen.

Really/ Shit for Forest?

He was 2nd in their fans Player of the Season award with 22% – not bad for a loanee.

As for being “one of the worst midfielders I have ever seen”….

You are entitled to your opinion.

But I think you are a mile off with that one.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:50 PM

toon 22 complaining it’s like groundhog day.
    no comment needed.
    at least there’s just one parrot chatting away today.
    tony must be sleeping (i was going to say peacefully but more likely in an angry manner, punching pillows and whatnot).

• Jib

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:50 PM

Billson
    Sorry but bladey is entitled to sfa
    except his benefit from
    Sunderland Jobcentre Plus
    John Street
    Sunderland
    Tyne & Wear
    United Kingdom
    SR1 1QT

• Jib

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:55 PM

That twitter user should be called
    Cheezeychips of Nazareth

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:59 PM

I think we could see more of Shelvey & Murphy with Colback and maybe even Clark & Lazaar becoming squad players. But for every player that prefers Bruce and will improve there could be 2 that deteriorate. Benitez massively improved our defenders as he always has done wherever he’s been. We have some quality players and would have been pushing teams like Leicester if Rafa, Perez and Rondon had stayed and were added to. Nevertheless Bruce will struggle no matter who we buy.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jul 20, 2019 at 3:08 PM

Don’t know what makes you think I don’t like Rafa either, just because I wouldn’t drink his bodily fluids like some of you and take a more nuanced position.

Wish he was still here. Disappointed he didn’t see £50m plus player sales as a positive step and definitive progress after having stabilised us and getting us into that position.

Asking for new infrastructure is tantamount to asking Ashley to invest his own money in the club, that wasn’t and isn’t happening given frosty relations with the supporters is it? Suppose could have always suggested spending the £50m budget on a new training facility and taking the chance he could keep us up again with minimal spend on players, putting back player investment until next season, but Rafa was in a hurry and wanted both – he mistakenly believed he could get Ashley back on board and investing in the club to match his ambitions. He couldn’t and coupled with a fat salary in China all these factors came together and he left. No ill will.

He did a 6/10 job here

When he first came in and we were relegated – 5/10 – we looked like going down and we did. Not his fault.

Champ season – mission accomplished with by far the biggest and best squad in the league 6/10

First season back in PL – 10th – exceptional season, more than most thought we were capable of and considering our strikeforce or lack thereof 8/10

Last season – awful start, strong 2nd half like the previous season. Bit of a disappointing end 7/10

Performance in the cups – 5/10 – League Cup quarters knocked out by Hull and FA Cup 4th furthest we got.

31/50