web analytics

Two Left-Back Options For Newcastle With One Year Left On Contracts

There are a couple of very good left-backs that could slot in nicely in the Newcastle first-team that have only one year remaining on their current deals.

Ramy Bensebaini is a twenty-four year old who plays for Rennes. He is reportedly not going to resign with the Ligue 1 club this summer.

He has just one year remaining on his initial four year deal he signed when joining from Montpellier in 2016. Those that watched the Africa Cup of Nations will have noticed Bensabaini as he found a lot of time on camera due to his style of play which is quite interesting at times.

Bensebaini is a tough-tackling left-back who is also very good in the air. He can cover at centre-half as well and is 6’2″ tall. While not productive going forward he is a very good defender. He does have excellent pace though only produced one assist last season.

Ramy Bensebaini– Algerian international left-back

He is very good on the ball and an excellent passer. Outside Of The Boot did a good scouting report on him a few years ago.

Robin Gosens is a German left-back who plies his trade in Serie A for Atalanta. He has just one year left on his initial deal with the Italian club. He joined Atalanta in Dutch club Heracles in 2017 for just €900k.

Gosens to is an excellent defender though he can also play further forward as a left-midfielder. In fact over the past two seasons, Atalanta coach Gian Piero Gasperini has deployed Gosens further forward to fit his 3-4-3 formation.

Robin Gosens– Atalanta’s German left-back

Gosens would perfectly fit into the system that Bruce used in the match against West Ham on Saturday as he is used to getting forward but is also a superb defender.

We are not sure if Gosens would be willing to move to Newcastle however as he has been heavily linked with Schalke in his native Germany. He also will enjoy Champions League football next year if he stays at Atalanta. His price tag has been set at €12m by his club which would be a good deal even though the player has just the one year left on his deal.

• JohnJ

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:46 PM

Yes we need someone in Reserve/standby but Paul Dummet takes some beating for me!

No 1?

• Jib

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:50 PM

Just as well young Matty is a canny footballer

• optimistic prime

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:56 PM

Neil

Surely you aren’t suggesting we buy from the bargain basement.

Mike’s feeling flush dont you know, Joelinton £75bn rising to a trillion with ad ons.

• IrishRob

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:56 PM

When they announce Carroll INSTEAD of Joelinton then we honestly should just storm the stadium and take control of the club. If anyone wants to murder the fat controller too I’ll help out.

• Online Guy

Jul 22, 2019 at 4:57 PM

Talking of laughing stock (there’s nothing else for it but to do so)

I want to know who is in charge of Pies ! Yes that’s right Pies . Bruce needs Pies and we don’t want a shortage where we have to go cap in hand to the Mackems or Shotton Colliery welfare band to see if they have any spare ones .

I think we will have to bring in a Director of Pies .

Perhaps Brucie should ask Fergie if he will take the job ?

Join the gravy train .

I’m taking the peas.

Supper anyone ?

• optimistic prime

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:01 PM

John

I agree, I think Dummet is a cracking defender.

If we play 3 at the back I’d want him in the 3, the rest of our CBs have no pace.

I’d want 2 quality wing backs if we play 5 at the back all year.

Ritchie slows it down to much and Yedlin is no use really.

• Sports Direct FC

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:02 PM

Net spend of 5 million on players in 12 years but this year….this year we are spending 100 million. Who makes this stuff up?

• Wayayman

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:02 PM

I think that the people who are boycotting one match, or all things Ashley are doing it because they love NUFC, not because they don’t care about it. It’s a huge sacrifice.

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:02 PM

Just doesn’t make sense – at one end of the scale we are paying close to £50M for a forward and then on the other hand chasing soon to be out of contract players, offering well below the asking price, and even freebies – the latter I can see with FAtAsh – but £50M for one player …….. sorry, until it happens its another unicorn

• RobLeenio

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:06 PM

Our Toon “Have to say it’s been a pleasure debating today, it’s amazing how good this place is when fans listen to each other and dont bicker over petty little things”

Couple things on that, I think we’ve had a few posters deliberately trying to stir the pot, rather than keeping it civil over the last few weeks. They haven’t appeared today, and the blog has been a far better place for it.

Secondly, emotions were incredibly high after Rafa left and stayed high while Bruce was appointed. I think people are now determined, rather than emotional, so maybe less willing to have a go at their fellow fans.

I hope that’s the case anyway. We need to be united right about now and keep it that way for the foreseeable.

• RobLeenio

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:08 PM

Cheers, Jib – great to see young Matty doing his induction song. Him and his brother are the future of this club, this is his rite of passage and I hope he gets a few chances this season.

He has the potential to be better than Sean, and I think Sean will be an England player in a season or two.

• c-dog

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:09 PM

Both thrash

• geordietom

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:10 PM

IRISHROB …

you money comment before . where my missus is concerned it a case of …

whats your is mine and whats mine is my own mate…

• c-dog

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:10 PM

Although now we’re officially a thrash club I suppose they’d suit us

• Jib

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:11 PM

Rob did you see Joelinton sent an Instagram message
    to Miggy congratulating him on his new gaff in D.Hall
    I posted it on previous

• TomaKaThor

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:11 PM

Clearly nothing is happening today, go looking for news everday and nothing but paper talk everyday, only difference is we where waiting on takeover development we never got and was left in the dark, now we are waiting on transfers, and the same thing is happening, hope is dying by the day…just another day as a toon fan.

• Jib

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:12 PM

They have clearly met each other recently

• optimistic prime

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:12 PM

Rob @10

I thinks it all your first point.

I didn’t want to say anything as I fancied they’d appear.

On your head be on it.

• IrishRob

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:12 PM

Geordie it was a joke mate!

• geordietom

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:13 PM

OP @6 …

agree with you about Dummet he’s got more pace than people give him credit for . and he knows how to defend …

• geordietom

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:14 PM

IRISH ROB …

i know mate 😀

• optimistic prime

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:15 PM

I wonder what I’ll wait longest for, the club to be sold or something with truth and substance to be posted on Twatter.

• Markaccus

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:16 PM

Dummet has always been a quality defender. People often say “he was rubbish but he has improved loads”, which is tripe. He just isn’t a buccaneering wing back. He’s either an old fashioned lb or, as others suggest, a Cb suited to a back 3

• Online Guy

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:16 PM

Was at Grimsby Town Ground yesterday ..looks like main stand at the east side of the ground is the same stand me Uncle played in front of in the late 30s or 40s ..bit like the Bradford stand that went up..Timber on the back of Grimsbys stand looks dried out and ancient ..like the sides of an old pirate ghost ship ..tinder box !

Delapidated.

• jon

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:16 PM

Another horrendous weekend me and the mrs can put behind us….how many more ffs. 🙁

I read an article late Friday or early Saturday that the reason BZG were talking to a hedge fund was to fund player transfers, not for the purchase of the club…….for the life of me I cannot find it now :-/

And so, on to the pre sale celebratory pint or 2.

🙂

• optimistic prime

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:17 PM

Gtom

I dont get how people cant see his pace or ability to defend.

He may not put 20 crosses into the opposition box per game but you know no ones getting a easy ride his side of the pitch.

I’ve said for years he’d be a quality CB.

• c-dog

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:18 PM

Dummet is a decent player. Could be improved on however

• RobLeenio

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:20 PM

Jib, I did see that, I think your detective’s cap is well and truly settled.

Deerstalker like Sherlock or Homburg like Poirot?

• Markaccus

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:21 PM

I’ve always said, if you play a back 4, you’d start with a full back who likes to get forward, and dummet on the bench. If you’re a goal up in a tight game with 20mins to go, Dummet is the man you bring on to shore things up.

• RobLeenio

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:23 PM

OP, lol – you notice I didn’t mention them by name.

No need, everyone knows who I’m talking about anyway. I wonder if Ed / Neil have taken some action?

• RobLeenio

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:26 PM

I like Dummett, think he’s a cracking player. What I would like to see is a second left back with different attributes, not to replace Dummett but to add a different dimension when it would suit tactically.

So, a rapid as owt LB to take the game to weaker teams, Dummett to keep things nice and tight against the better teams and the faster wingers.

Makes sense to any other club other than Mike Ashley’s Newcastle United.

• optimistic prime

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:26 PM

C dog

I’d improve lascelles Fenandez and Scharr before Dummet.

Fernamdez and Scharr look good on the ball but both are dodgy defensively and Lascelles is a great leader but nothing special.

Both Fernamdez and Scharr made some terrible mistakes last year but the fans seemed to ignore this because they can pass a ball foward.

• geordietom

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:27 PM

OP …

when he’s up against a player on his side . he dont mess about he does not take prisoners…

• optimistic prime

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:28 PM

Rob @ 31

Two left backs?

The sale didn’t happen, Ashley still owns us, be thankfull we have one

• Sports Direct FC

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:28 PM

Rob

Admire your optimism and you seem like an intelligent person. IMO there are two types of SD FC fans right now. Those that are tired of fighting relegation every season and those who are not. Unfortunately until everyone is tired of it, nothing will change and MA will continue to laugh while lining his pockets.

• Jib

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:30 PM

• c-dog

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:31 PM

I think the 4 cbs we have are enough
    Lejeune excellent and when Lascelles is beside him we are solid. Fernandez is decent back up and Schar a good challenger for the first XI. This season is their true test. Rafa clearly had them well drilled for every match. Bruce is a mid table championship level manager so it’s up to them to do the work themselves now.

• geordietom

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:35 PM

jib off track a bit here. is Wllly Telford still knocking about or has he gone now …

i his sober times i had some good convo’s with Willy . canny footballer when he was sober …

• geordietom

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:36 PM

in his sober times …

• Jib

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:40 PM

Mariners Arms with a bottle of QC sherry ?

1 2 3 5