web analytics

Liam Gibson Has Picked Up An Injury In Pre-Season Action At Scarborough

Newcastle left-back Liam Gibson who is on loan at Grimsby Town has picked up a knock in his third game of pre-season action for the Mariners. He started the game but had to be removed after just four minutes due to an injury.

There is no word on how serious the injury is or if Liam was just removed as a precaution.

The Chronicle put out an interview from the Grimsby Telegraph with Gibson this morning. The interview is from last week and was when he had arrived at Grimsby town.

This is what Liam Gibson said about his arrival at Grimsby:

“I can’t wait. I came down on Tuesday and then met the lads the following day, and I feel like I’ve settled in already,” he told Grimsby Live.

“Everyone’s made me feel very welcome, so I’m really pleased to be here.

“I really want to kick on now and forget everything that’s happened in the past. I’m just hoping to get a good few games under my belt this season.

“In the past, I’ve always been worried about my health and whether I’d go downhill again, and worried about being laid up in bed ill.

“Now everything’s sorted, I can just focus fully on my football, and that can only be a positive thing for me, and hopefully I can have a good season with Grimsby.

“Since I left Accrington and went back to Newcastle, I always knew I’d be trying to get back out on loan again.

“I’m glad I’ve managed to get something sorted this summer rather than January as I think it gives you a bit more time to find your feet, rather than going straight in without getting to know the lads, the manager and all the staff.

“I had a good conversation with him, and he showed me round the training ground and stadium.

“He just told me what he expects from me and how I was going to fit into the team, so the talks are very positive, and it confirmed that it was a good decision to move here.

“The manager was saying that he wants to be in and around at least the Play-Offs come the end of the season, and I honestly think that can be achieved.”

Last week Liam completed his first 45 minutes of action in the Lincolnshire Senior Cup at Gainsborough Trinity.

He then made his first start for Grimsby Town in the Mariners’ 1-0 win at home against Doncaster this past Friday. He was able to play for 56 minutes before being replaced.

We hope today’s knock is nothing more than that and is not another setback for the youngster as he has had enough of those already in his short career.

• Our Toon

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:37 PM

SD FC

Clearly new to the blog, hasn’t got a clue what people stance is on here but happy to make insinuations.

Even funnier that you have chosen to promote sports direct whilst having a dig at fans for apparently supporting Ashley.

I hate mike ashley, but I’m happy to go on worldwide blog and call my myself by one of his company names though!! Hahaha dear me (shakes head in disbelief)

• bettyswallocks

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:38 PM

I can’t see what all the fuss is about with this Joelinton signing. He’s nowhere near as good as Shearer and cost more than twice as much.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:38 PM

that’s what Ashley says to you as you keep giving him your money.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:41 PM

actually not new. I will take a guess I have been here longer than you. I know pretty much where everyone stands. maybe read my posts, I explained my name. dont believe me, no worries.

• 9

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:42 PM

OK Sports, you’ve lost contact with planet earth so good luck to you in your opinions, to which, of course, you’re perfectly entitled. Please continue to see the glass half empty, no matter we’ve made a record signing and (undoubtedly) more signings to come. Happy days.

• Our Toon

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:44 PM

SD FC

If you’ve been here longer than me then you’d know my stance. As for the name, maybe put some thought into it next time and not promote the very person you dislike

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:45 PM

Dont think I have had a dig at anyone. though i see you like to have them at many posters and now me. my posts are quite un specific in nature.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:46 PM

put lots of thought into it.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:47 PM

cheers, continue being happy fighting relegation every year.

• jazzyp

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:48 PM

BREAKING: The Premier league committee have investigated #NUFC conduct over Steve Bruces exit from #SWFC and have decided to dock Bolton Wanderers 12 points.

• Toon222

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:50 PM

Spend a few quid and all of a sudden we’re back behind the regime and blaming rafa for going for money

Rafa left cos of complete lack of ambition

Most valuable asset of nufc, the fans, treated like mugs all summer, with the constant lies and no comment shit

Appointment of a very average manager

Again 2 fingers up at us fans

If hed paid out 40m for humpty dumpty t some fans would jump back on the wagon and same said fans would b the same 1s yapping if things dont work out

Wish joelinton and all the other nufc players all the best but wont b attending any games or buying anything related to the club til fatso leaves

BOYCOTT SPORTS DIRECT FOOTBALL CLUB

• lochinvar

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:50 PM

Jazzyp
    Nearly right but the FA have in fact deducted 14points from Sunderland, not for any reason other than they think they should be in Division Two

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:51 PM

our toon

thought I was “clearly new to blog” and “didnt have a clue”. maybe instead of trying to start up with others we get rid of MA? maybe after 12 years of misery we try to understand why posters are so negative of instead of calling them out.

• 9

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:52 PM

Correct: “Continue being happy fighting relegation every year”. You couldn’t have expressed your negativity more lucidly. Must be great in your house.

• Bobbybee

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:53 PM

Well, the ‘truth’ yesterday was Joelinton would never be signed. Let’s hope the club is being sold, this division isn’t helping anybody with fan on fan arguments. The best thing for all is Ashley selling up and ANYBODY else taking over. It’s gone on far too long. I still think BZG are getting cash on their assets sorted with this hedge fund company. They’d be crazy to cash in any assets if they can get loans on them. That may be the delay. Let’s hope so for all concerned.

• lochinvar

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:54 PM

Clearly the issue with Rafa was the need to upgrade Benton.
    If we wake up one morning to hear Bruce announcing the development of a new £30million training ground and academy with community facilities at say Bullocksteads (near the Falcons) then hail the new leader and if it happens I suspect hail new owners.

• barkel

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:54 PM

Unbelievable

Delighted we have signed a striker but remember that is only one player, we still need to replace our outgoings. Most on here wanted an additional striker when we had Perez, Rondon and Miggy are you all happy that we’ve brought in Joelinton to replace both of them and no one else yet? Two weeks left in the window and a hell of a lot of work to do.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:54 PM

dont know you or how long you been a fan but what would you call the last 12 years? progress? fun times?

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:55 PM

truth hurts I know, so again I ask….are you happy fighting relegation every year?

• Belfast

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:56 PM

He definitely went to China for the money like. Anybody saying otherwise is full of sheet.
    He’s a top manager and tactically one of the best around in my opinion but any top manager or top player going over there is going for the ridiculous money on offer. Make no bones about it!

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:57 PM

barkel

be careful you will be attacked as a negger for using common sense

• Toon222

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:58 PM

Sports direct football club

I agree with u mate, if theyre happy fighting relegation every season let them b so

Rafas teams never got completely hammered, very solid at the back and wot we relied on to put points on the board, how many games were we outplayed and stil got that 1 goal and the 3 points, bruces sides r the opposite, when they go behind the tend to lose confidence and get duffed, regardless of who we sign for up top, if we’re disorganised at the back we’re in serious bother and that wot rafa was a genious at

BOYCOTT SPORTS DIRECT FOOTBALL CLUB

• Belfast

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:59 PM

I think we’re probably just spending what we’ve generated from the Perez and Joselu sales to be honest. It’s probably 30 million plus a lot of add ons.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:59 PM

Belfast

you think he would have left if the youth and training grounds would have been upgraded and he got a little.more control on transfers?

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:03 PM

I expect us to spend what we’ve got in the coffers this term over the two windows. That’s 90 million plus. It’s not an un-Ashley move, he did it the year McClaren joined, and transfer fees are now 30% greater, particularly for strikers. The necessity for us is to spend it well, because we know once it’s spent, there won’t be any more.

Next season there won’t be near as much either, because much of next season’s revenue will have already been spent on the ongoing increased wages we’ll be paying for these new players, and for increased money for the likes of Longstaff and Hayden.

Very important we buy well now we have the money, and history tells us we essentially don’t. I strike rate is about 50/50 under Ashley I’d say. You wanna hope Nickson is better than Carr, and Bruce really does have the final say. We really need five good signings, not just two or three, and another two or three that turn out to be deadwood we can’t shift and a return to an unbalanced squad, short on quality cover. .

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:04 PM

nicky

wish I shared your optimism

• 9

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:06 PM

Ok Sports, I’ m willing to talk to a fellow fan. You know, and I know, that 11 of the last 12 years have been awful in terms of EPL status (winning the Championship twice was very nice, except no-one wants to be in the Championship- except our Wearside friends, ha ha). Nobody disputes the rubbish MA has put us through, so if you want to continue looking backwards then your view is clear. Keep looking back. Nobody will ever dispute your view that our owner has driven us all nuts with his approach to “our” club ( actually, he has bought it and it is his, legally, but we all know what we mean by “our club”). Keep looking back, the sure way to bring misery. I share your view of (nearly all) of the last 12 years, however, it seems blindingly obvious things are changing, for the better, whether it be a new owner ( let’s hope) or a loosening of the purse strings, but, surely, you can see something is different?

• Belfast

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:07 PM

I think 12 million a year would be hard for anybody to turn down under any circumstances to be honest.

I suppose we’ll never know. 🙂

• optimistic prime

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:09 PM

Bills @10

“Sad miserable lives”

I bow down to your expertise.

You say “you couldn’t make it up”

How strange, most of the blog see you make stuff up every day.

Go away, you’re a embarrassment to bill.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:10 PM

that’s just it, I dont see it changing. MA has appointed possibly the worst manager in PL history. yes we signed someone. I hope he does great, but can an unproven 22 yo bag 20 goals which is what we lost. I cant see MA suddenly changing ways after 12 years, I even said give him a chance waaaaay back when I first got here….did the same for pardew.

• RobLeenio

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:11 PM

Firstly, Welcome Joelinton, you appear to be an honest and likeable lad, with a great deal of skill and I’m sure you’ll wear the shirt with pride and integrity.

If you can follow in the footsteps of your fellow South American strikers George Robledo and Tino Asprilla, you’ll become a fans’ favourite and write a place in our history for evermore.

• RobLeenio

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:15 PM

Secondly, folk seem to be forgetting that Ashley’s method of signing players is to write the wages of players off against the transfer budget.

A six year contract at, say, £50k per week (fairly modest but in line with our pay structure) will equate to £2.6M per annum and £15.6M over the lifetime of the contract, plus bonuses.

If that is added to a low estimate of his transfer fee £36M, that’s £50M of our rumoured £90M kitty already spent.

Don’t expect any more signings of this size this Summer, though I think Saint-Maximin and the lad from Hull could well be possible.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:15 PM

I feel reassured that Steve Bruce knows all about Joelinton’s strengths and ambitions, I’m sure that the lower league manager and his scouting team have been all over him for the last three years!!

• optimistic prime

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:16 PM

Whats up Billy liar,

you’ve been after me for ten days.

Is it your turn to be the “snowflake” ?

Want me to tell Ed and Neil I’m bullying you?

• captainmarvel

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:17 PM

The frog morphed into sports direct fc well done mate I like it!…

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:18 PM

captain

funny that

• bill

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:22 PM

Players who give their all for the team will always be appreciated. My worry is, will he score the goals necessary to keep us in the division? Still doesn’t add up to me. MA doesn’t spend this sort of money, unless bad news is to follow.

• 9

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:23 PM

Sports:”you don’t see it changing”- again, it seems, you are adding weight to my opinion of your view. If you can’t see it changing then you really can’t see very much. I expect you to express the view you just did on our new manager. I don’t really see how our miserable owner could have attracted anyone better, since he lacked the sense to keep Rafa happy. The new centre forward might turn out to be a complete nugget, a waste of space, I wouldn’t know, but let’s see, shall we? Do you doubt there will be further signings in the next few days? Keep looking back, keep seeing the glass half empty. You sound like a right bundle of laughs, if I may be so rude as to venture an opinion. Come on, we support NUFC and things are getting better! Hopefully)

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:23 PM

Sports Direct FC

No more signings you say.

Have you got Ashley’s ear?

Why not jeep your powder dry and wait until the end of the window.

You are crying before the milk has spilt.

• captainmarvel

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:23 PM

Bruce had nothing to do with the signing of jewell in tin he might claim it but it’s bollox he’s been coming for months….