web analytics

Poll – Which Former Premier League Striker Would You Prefer As A Free Agent?

If Newcastle do have to go the free agent route for another striker this summer, there are plenty of options available that have Premier League experience. We have to remember that we are down three forwards this summer in Salomon Rondon, Ayoze Perez, and Joselu.

We have just signed Joelinton from Hoffenhemim who will be our new number nine and we also have Dwight Gayle returning from loan at West Brom.

Transfer target Allan Saint-Maximin, usually deployed as a winger, would also be able to play upfront though I wouldn’t recommend he do it too often.

Newcastle will need to bring in another player who can lead the line this summer.

While all of the free agent strikers have glaring issues, (I mean there is a reason each they are currently available) some of them could do a decent job under the right circumstances.

We have compiled a list of six current free agent strikers who have at one time played in the Premier League. Most of them have played for some of the upper echelon clubs in England. Most have even been linked with Newcastle at one time or another.

All are aged between 28-30 and admittedly have their best years behind them.

However on say a two year contract, which of the following six strikers would you choose as a free agent signing this summer? This is assuming that Newcastle are unable or unwilling to purchase another out and out striker this summer.

We see a few of the choices as probably unrealistic, especially Mario Balotelli. However we feel Andy Carroll, Danny Welbeck, or even Abel Hernandez could be decent options as cover or a late game substitution.

What do you think? If you had to choose, who would you go for from the following six?

Which Former Premier League Striker Would You Prefer As A Free Agent?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:16 PM

Got an e-mail warning from Neil Harrison telling me to stop riling up people on here. I guess I will leave you to the conspiracy theories and boycotts then.

#nofootballtalk

• Ron Knee

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:21 PM

Well done, Neil!

• Neil Harrison

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:23 PM

Tony,

Just want this to be a place where people are comfortable to post their opinions and support of Newcastle United without constantly being slagged off for it.

• oldarse

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:23 PM

Bye Bye tony see you around Seaton burn mate will recognise you with your carer, keep taking the medication chin up.

• Pain in the Blog

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:25 PM

Scouted Football described Allan Saint-Maximin as “explosively unpredictable.” Don’t know whether that’s ‘unpredictable’ as in he confuses defenders or ‘unpredictable’ in that you never know whether the brilliant version or the attitude problem version will turn up. I have to say he looks impressive in this montage, which I think is a bit more flattering than Mister Tuff’s (not a criticism Tuffy).

Also, Get French Football News reported that ‘Whilst “ASM” had hoped to join a top club a few months ago, his ambitions have been slightly rejigged owing to the lack of top level interest.’ So that would be us then.

• Sports Direct FC

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:27 PM

Tony

we had a decent conversation this morning….but catching up and seeing what you wrote, you are over the top today. take a break for a few days, seriously. no offense meant.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:27 PM

BUT; I can see the signs. I called Oldarse Abe as a joke to start with but he needs help. I am serious here. It is early dementia.

• oldarse

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:30 PM

Bye, my friend have a good life mate, been interesting.

• Munster Mag

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:31 PM

Tsunki, yes you mentioned that i wanted o neill, whether in jest or not. Just like your mate jail said i wanted pearson ahead of rafa because i highlighted some stuff in rafa that ye didnt like. More recently you claimed that i was a fan of mike ashley. The man is so toxic that i was unwilling to let that go and i will ask Neil to interject if you continue to peddle lies about my opinion on Fats. You are unable to argue with me on issues that i believe in. That doesnt mean you can get away with lying about peoples points of view to score in your oddball game of one upmanship. You cant bully me Tarquin, but you can bore me witless. Can we have your speech about thr club again. Also can you clarify for us whether you will be wanting nufc to win or lose games once the season commences. I’d like to know this for the record.

• oldarse

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:32 PM

Now for that f8#king bottle.

• Munster Mag

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:32 PM

Might be a bit like Franz Carr 🙂

• Sports Direct FC

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:33 PM

Looks like all my other SD FC fans are doing well today.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:36 PM

Neil, mate. Then you mustn’t have read any of Hibbit’s or Tsunki’s posts. And Dubious Mickey trying to incite firebombing of shops. Or posting Charnley’s address. If you want harmony then maybe ban Bobbybee for writing 1 million 8 hundred 1,000 and 12 words on why he would never boycott a game because it is his life, his love, his everything. And then flipping and flopping like some sort of beached flounder.

Or ban the frog for saying the same thing 1 billion times.

Bye, bye.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:40 PM

Quickest heart I’ve done on the blog.

wait ………………the beggar is still at it.

Jibaloney – give it a rest man you are spoiling the blog for a lot of people.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:41 PM

But, again. I am being serious now. There are treatments now for early onset dementia. Someone on here needs to see a doctor.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:41 PM

Neil,

I agree with you.

But there are a good few more on here who deserve a reprimand for the bile and constant denunciation of those who disagree with the majority view.

And, it has to be said, some of your posts (and you know it) have been deliberately inflammatory and designed to spark further outrage and slagging of NUFC.

Let’s see whether you an even handed blog policeman or a crowd player.

And, for the record, ban me if you want.

I care not a jot.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:43 PM

Bye Mr. Tuff:

Best get back to organizing meaningless boycotts where 18 people turn up.

Rather than supporting the team.

Rafa 1.17 PPG

Pardew (who I hate) 1.34 PPG

• 9

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:43 PM

According to the reports on here, this Saint Maximin chap is US. The ability to baffle defenders is priceless, but if you have no productive delivery at the end, it’s useless; plus, if you never track back you are merely a useful member of the opposition (like Hatem turned into at the end- every single time he had the ball, the opposition gained possession so, in effect, he was the 12th man, a ball winner, for the opposition, leaving us with 10 men v 12. Such a Talent gone to ruination). I don’t fancy another one of those

• Sports Direct FC

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:44 PM

Bill

are you including yourself in that statement?

• Mister Tuff

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:45 PM

Pain – I would buy ASM in a flash if it was up to me. You cannot train skill and instinct into players. He has got it as I said earlier a natural footballer.

• RobLeenio

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:46 PM

cor, feels like I’ve been transported back to my teens ‘I don’t care, do what you like, hope you’re gonna do the same to them, they started it, not bothered’

Grow up guys, it’s a footy blog.

Sheesh!

• Mister Tuff

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:48 PM

Baloney – good bye.

See you tomorrow Jib. or perhaps Jane.
    I suspect you’ll deploy “the woman” first to check that the coast is clear.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:48 PM

Tony,

You have spouted no more $hite than the 95% of people your posts have been aimed at.

To be singled out by Neil is an absolute disgrace to the impartiality and fair mindedness of the editors of this blog.

Keep posting, and don’t change your tune.

If Ed and Neil want a subservient pandering blog let them ban everyone who challenges the views of the mob.

toon22 is getting away with libel every day and has he been warned??

Neil, has he?

• RobLeenio

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:49 PM

Someone mentioned Arsenal have a £100M strike force.

Well, if we buy Saint-Maxim, our likely front three will be worth somewhere between £80-£90 Million, depending on which reports you believe.

We still have valid concerns, not sure we should be writing those of the Arsenal fans off so easily.

• Sports Direct FC

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:49 PM

Rob

unfortunately it’s always been that way…that’s why I stopped posting for a long time.

• giimps

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:50 PM

The people you have mentioned Tony, offer their opinions or have shared things they have heard, they don’t hound people and harass them to the point of blog bullying, I understand the frustrations you might feel , however, your way of “calling out people “for their perceived hypocrisy or itk status is and can be over the top.
    Tone it down a bit, maybe even interact with them or whoever you want and you may be able to salvage your status, but for future reference, virtually everybody on the blog hates the slug, want the club to be taken over and never wanted either Rafa to leave or Bruce to come……some have been going to games for years and have now given up their season tickets, others like myself have decided to boycott the Arsenal game and see where we are from there, hounding people because of what they said years ago when we had no idea what the slug was doing then , is wrong, everyone is entitled to change their own mind, I have , I said I wouldn’t boycott but enough is enough…..players coming in means nothing, they slug going out should be our only endgame and we should do as much as we can to force him out…..hounding each other is not the answer

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:53 PM

There is a comfortable consensus on here where everybody says that Rafa was great (1.17 PPG) and Ashley is Darth Vader. Anybody who questions this is shouted down.

There is also an ITK crowd who say whatever BS conspiracy they want and nobody can question it because they are doing the rest of us a favour by passing on their inside knowledge. When it inevitably fails to materialize they are never questioned. Never held to account. They are:

Online Guy
    Dubious Mickey Mouse
    Bam Bams
    Mund
    Elmanio

• Sports Direct FC

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:57 PM

Tony

we are all adults and can believe or not believe information that is posted here. Let it go, and all of those posters have taken plenty of flack for what they posted.

• giimps

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:58 PM

Tony, that points total was enough to keep a mediocre side in the Premier league for 2 seasons with a profit for the owner………just think about that for a little bit

• AshLIE is a Joker

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:00 PM

It’s hilarious that anyone with an opinion gets shouted down. It’s like being part of a dictatorship at times. Keep the peasants in line, they cant have their own opinions!

• giimps

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:03 PM

Even Fraudew had a budget for players, Rafa couldn’t even sign a striker other than looserloo ,The others were on loan, I’m not saying Rafa was perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but when teams like Wolves, Watford, Fulham, etc are blowing us out of the water regarding fees for players and Rafa is scratching the bargain basement or having to get last minute loans, the ppg means nothing, have a look at the points per millions spent……we must be top of the league

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:04 PM

Neil.

So Tony’s posts are contrary to the spirit of the blog…

But toon22’s aren’t?

Answer the question.

• beermonkey

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:04 PM

rob

for the money we will spent of our front line is there more goals than rondon and perez

for the sake of 16mill it could be a costly mistake not buying him if joelinton doesnt score in the first 5 6 games that no9 shirt will get rather heavy

• bettyswallocks

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:06 PM

Baloney……. You’re not leaving the blog are you? Are you sure you’re not being a tad hasty ? Perhaps sleep on it. Although you don’t seem to sleep much. Ah well whatever, I’m sure you’ll be back under a different guise but we’ll be ready for you.

Ashley oot
    PR. oot.

• Sports Direct FC

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:08 PM

Bill’s

its Neil’s and Ed’s blog. they can warn or ban anyone for any reason or no reason at all.

• giimps

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:09 PM

Beer, only time will tell, as long as our midfield and defense stay , as well as Dubs, we’ll have enough I think, Almiron ASM and Joe from linton will cause havoc for the opposition (or at least the bottom 14 teams

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:11 PM

I hope Neil will not ban me. Am I worse than the cabal of conspiracy theorists and ITKs? I am certainly better than Dubious Mickey who was advocating fire bombing. Why is he still allowed to channel his BS and hatred on here? Giving out Charnley’s address. And, of course, BobbyBee who does or doesn’t know his own opinion on whether to attend a game but can write 3,000 word essays on it, both ways. Depends on the day. And Abe. But there is a reason for Abe being Abe.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:11 PM

Tell you what,

It’s bad enough listening to the bile from the mob on here when posting an alternative view…,

But now we are fighting against the blog editor who supports the mob.

Absolute disgrace.

Neil, you’ve made one massive mistake.

Of Trump proportions.

• Sports Direct FC

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:13 PM

I learned growing up that it’s best to keep quiet sometimes, apparently some did not learn that lesson.

• RobLeenio

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:14 PM

Tony, I really like tomatoes. They’re easily my favourite fruit, they’re great to eat on their own, reduced down to make a sauce, sliced in a sandwich and amazing grilled on top of cheese on toast with Worcester sauce.

Others can’t stand them wouldn’t go near them, couldn’t eat anything that has a hint of tomato. Others like them, but maybe not as much as me.

Now, if you told me that I had to replace my tomato with something else, I’d kick up a stink. You could tell me that Pineapple is a far superior fruit, I’d tell you it’s a bit fancy dan, not very versatile, probably doesn’t suit my cheese on toast. You could tell me you’re going to replace them with olives, arguably equally versatile but with a nasty, bitter taste.

Some would prefer pineapple and others would prefer olives, that’s up to them. However, I reckon, for all that tomatoes may not have been ideal in 100% of situations, the vast majority would have them over any fruit any day of the week.

It’s exactly like that with Rafa. You and Catchy have tried to use stats and logic to say why Rafa was not the best manager for the club. I’m telling you that I can’t imagine a more perfect person to lead our club, look after our interests and fight for them against Ashley and his minions.

Yes, Rafa had his faults and his flaws, yes he wasn’t perfect, but it doesn’t matter and never will. We loved our tomato and hate that he’s been replaced by an olive.

1 2 3 9