web analytics

Poll – Which Former Premier League Striker Would You Prefer As A Free Agent?

If Newcastle do have to go the free agent route for another striker this summer, there are plenty of options available that have Premier League experience. We have to remember that we are down three forwards this summer in Salomon Rondon, Ayoze Perez, and Joselu.

We have just signed Joelinton from Hoffenhemim who will be our new number nine and we also have Dwight Gayle returning from loan at West Brom.

Transfer target Allan Saint-Maximin, usually deployed as a winger, would also be able to play upfront though I wouldn’t recommend he do it too often.

Newcastle will need to bring in another player who can lead the line this summer.

While all of the free agent strikers have glaring issues, (I mean there is a reason each they are currently available) some of them could do a decent job under the right circumstances.

We have compiled a list of six current free agent strikers who have at one time played in the Premier League. Most of them have played for some of the upper echelon clubs in England. Most have even been linked with Newcastle at one time or another.

All are aged between 28-30 and admittedly have their best years behind them.

However on say a two year contract, which of the following six strikers would you choose as a free agent signing this summer? This is assuming that Newcastle are unable or unwilling to purchase another out and out striker this summer.

We see a few of the choices as probably unrealistic, especially Mario Balotelli. However we feel Andy Carroll, Danny Welbeck, or even Abel Hernandez could be decent options as cover or a late game substitution.

What do you think? If you had to choose, who would you go for from the following six?

Which Former Premier League Striker Would You Prefer As A Free Agent?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Mister Tuff

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:00 PM

Woah – somebody’s just mentioned a dog is it a German sausage dog?

• welshgeordie9

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:01 PM

Can everyone just take a chill pill.

• count

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:01 PM

Who gives a sh¡t Tony?

• RobLeenio

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:02 PM

Tony, I’ve tried to have conversations with you and with Bills Son. I’m happy to debate stuff with anyone, had some good chats with catchy, some brief chats with Bladey.

Just because we don’t agree doesn’t mean that I’m trying to shout you down.

Where I’ve disagreed with you and where I think you’ve lost the blog is your haranguing of Bobby and Dubai Micky. There’s a difference between disagreeing and just going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

Anyway, you get the point. Just have a chat, maybe crack a gag or think of a different way to get your point across so it’s not so repetitive. I think that was probably the gist of Neil’s message.

I have said the same to toon22, also – just in case you get the impression I’m singling you out.

• Our Toon

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:03 PM

Dear me have a little respect people, Neil did the right thing. If you’ve had a warning via email then heed the warning and show some respect for all parties involved.

It’s like being in a playground, he did this and so in so said that, tell them off aswell.

Football matters, I hope joelinton doesn’t buckle under pressure like mitro did, hopefully the goals can be shared around especially almiron stepping up this season as I’m expecting big things from him

• oldarse

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:03 PM

Downtown Chicago Tony bit of kerb-crawling mate.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:04 PM

FFS Betty: “wrongun’s infiltrating” because someone disagrees with you. Jesus, man. You could cross a c)cker spaniel with a cherry and it would still make more sense than you.

• optimistic prime

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:04 PM

Tony

Robleenio is the most annoyingly sensible vanilla poster and it stinks, if you’re implying hes having a go, you’re on the glue

• Tsunki

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:06 PM

I’m apparently a fraud. Eric/Tony has always thought that for the last six weeks. I wish he’d told me sooner.

• optimistic prime

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:06 PM

I’ve been at the TMG meeting so I’ve missed tonight on the blog.

If Neil’s had words privately it explains a lot, isn’t that right Bills.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:06 PM

Count without the O. Not me about you, anyway.

• optimistic prime

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:07 PM

Rob

I’m not having a go, I just wish you’d tell people to fcuk off now and again.

• Tsunki

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:08 PM

Are we all missing something or has Eric lost his clackers?

Tony it’s the bit where you baited Mickey and Bobbybee incessantly. You were there weren’t to?

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:08 PM

tsunki: I have read this blog for years and you are the prime instigator of the fight club along with lesh.

• kilcline

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:08 PM

Please don’t ban Bills or baloney, they are comic value, I’ve laughed out loud reading these pages tonight.

Carroll will come home but hopefully on a low salary with pay as play bonuses

• Tsunki

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:08 PM

…weren’t you…

• optimistic prime

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:08 PM

Baloney without the Tony

You must have a really exciting life in Chicago.

• RobLeenio

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:08 PM

OP, thanks (I think)
    😉

• Tsunki

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:09 PM

Tony you mean I’m no simpering pushover, don’t you?

• Tsunki

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:09 PM

@133 classy as ever.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:10 PM

Tsunki: you can call me Eric if you want. Or Tony. They were both names that just came into my head and I wanted to keep straight what I had said on one blog or the other – so I picked different names.

Pretty simple really.

• magscar

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:11 PM

It has been a long held view of mine on here that the Blog was colonised by a number of initially unconnected posters of similar mind but with a relatively narrow view of things NUFC . In later times some have contacted each other by email (innocent reasons ) or met up and whilst I have no objection to that it does tend to reinforce their tendency to back each other up against certain posters.

Their narrow viewpoint inevitably leads to clashes with new posters not looking to cause trouble but simply to have a genuine say on an NUFC blog (as Ed and Neil declare they want) but which is outside the limits of Blog accepted understanding.

It becomes an unwelcome task of swimming against the tide whilst being heckled by others just because you don’t pepper posts with invective often foul mouthed against Ashley. It is not unusual to be cast as an Ashley apologist,WUM,Shill,Mackem etc for daring to step outside the narrow confine of the Blog populist view.

Holding a different view becomes the equivalent on here of running the gauntlet and that is surely unwelcome. The addition of hearts has brought about horde approval of attacks on others

The other trend is to accuse others of being multiples simply for backing up or reflecting similar viewpoints of another poster. Post are peppered with claims of this and as it not dealt with gains traction.p and becomes fact.

Some years ago I was accused of being a multiple of a particular poster on here and despite requests to others to back me in having the claim retracted by poster no one would (mates of his) nor did he retract until I threatened to go to Ed. No apology was ever made. I know others were accused later and it still goes on. Suspicions grow all the time.

I know the “hard lads ” on here don’t think that it is the done thing grassing someone but all you have on here in my view is your good name in form of your poster tag and it isn’t something I want tainted for years after by deliberate and inaccurate linking to another poster then reviled on here .

I think a can of worms may have been unwittingly opened, fortunately by Neil not Ed who is more able to handle it

• RobLeenio

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:11 PM

Yep, I voted for Carroll. If we can wheel him out for 15 minutes every 4th game, on some kind of pay as you play deal then he’ll be a potent weapon.

Of course, some say he’s a potent weapon whether he plays or not. Not sure quite what they mean….

• optimistic prime

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:12 PM

Rob

I love you, I’m pissed, I was just trying to point out you’re the least aggressive poster on the blog.

I found it amusing you wa being called out for shouting someone down.

• oldarse

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:12 PM

SEE Belch is back soon f78cked off when the balloon went off

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:12 PM

OP @139: that’s funny. All I expect of you.

• one fine day

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:14 PM

op.
    optimistic prime

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:36 PM

Just on my way home from TMG meeting and it was great to meet JFA and Genj in person.

Two decent honest genuine guys.

Look foward to a few more pints together

Ashley out

Good to know your on board and well done lads in getting involved ,genjikai has my email and i know how passionate he is on this .
    wish i was home at times like these but will also be offering getting in touch to offer any support i can ,all be it from a distance.
    Keep me updated on whats planned

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:16 PM

If I wanted to hide my identity, I would switch my avatar to a grey one like Jib does to pretend he is not Jane.

• kilcline

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:17 PM

If Carroll plays 10 games he scores 5/6

If Welbeck plays 10 games he scores 2

Most of that list will go China or equivalent for one last pay day

They are lower than a snakes belly or baloney

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:18 PM

Abe: you can be quite funny sometimes. That made me spit out my martini and double whiskey.

• optimistic prime

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:19 PM

More baloney, but not from Tony.

It’s funny how a tiny minorities comments can be used to beat the blog or the rest of the fan base.

Yet one persons nasty comments need perspective.

As I said earlier your perspective depends on how much you read the blog.

if you turn up for 2 days a year, you will not like a lot of the people if you read all the comments you understand where they come from.

In English funk of day trippers and fantasists.

• magscar

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:22 PM

OP

Not for the first time I called out Tony (today on Bobby) and agree is disruptive and repetitive. I can see that you and he have been having a running battle which I haven’t followed as it seemed a bit of t it for tat and you can look after yourself in rucks on here and have plenty of mates to back you up.

I know it’s not a common my held view but I do find others on here just as disruptive but nothing happens and they even get regular applause. There isn’t evenhandedness on here.

Btw good on you Jail and Genk for attending meeting of TMG. You might be surprised at how many other decent folk there are on here if you were to meet us all in the flesh 🙂

• optimistic prime

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:22 PM

Tony

Cry me a river

I’ve a fake ten pound note that’s more credible than you.

The closest you’ve been to Chicago is watching Kevin Costner in the Untouchables

• #BleachTheLeech

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:23 PM

Well, at least OP actually met up this time…

• #BleachTheLeech

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:24 PM

How was the meeting mate? BoycottArsenal plans discussed?

• RobLeenio

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:25 PM

Ahhh, love you too OP.

Keep up the fight, mate – I’ll be the one in the back saying ‘can’t we all just be friends?’

😉

• #BleachTheLeech

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:26 PM

OP

Might be driving up to attend but depends on work. You up for another meet if I make it?

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:27 PM

So, I am being moderated by Neil now when the man with a b#llend on his avatar is accusing me of curb crawling and offering KY jelly.

Double standards Neil.

Or are you just agreeing that Abe is Abe and needs nursey to take care of him?

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:27 PM

Just got home, very good to meet in person two very passionate toon fans willing to get off their arse’s and do something. We need some money off you bloggers, can you all spare a pound a month for stickers, banners etc, it’s not much to ask but we need funding’!

• Tony Baloney

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:30 PM

#129 and 130 if you want to have a look Neil.

Hashtag:

Double Standards.

Hashtag:

moreboublestandards.

For Bobbybee who has been a windup on here from the start.