web analytics

Poll – Which Former Premier League Striker Would You Prefer As A Free Agent?

If Newcastle do have to go the free agent route for another striker this summer, there are plenty of options available that have Premier League experience. We have to remember that we are down three forwards this summer in Salomon Rondon, Ayoze Perez, and Joselu.

We have just signed Joelinton from Hoffenhemim who will be our new number nine and we also have Dwight Gayle returning from loan at West Brom.

Transfer target Allan Saint-Maximin, usually deployed as a winger, would also be able to play upfront though I wouldn’t recommend he do it too often.

Newcastle will need to bring in another player who can lead the line this summer.

While all of the free agent strikers have glaring issues, (I mean there is a reason each they are currently available) some of them could do a decent job under the right circumstances.

We have compiled a list of six current free agent strikers who have at one time played in the Premier League. Most of them have played for some of the upper echelon clubs in England. Most have even been linked with Newcastle at one time or another.

All are aged between 28-30 and admittedly have their best years behind them.

However on say a two year contract, which of the following six strikers would you choose as a free agent signing this summer? This is assuming that Newcastle are unable or unwilling to purchase another out and out striker this summer.

We see a few of the choices as probably unrealistic, especially Mario Balotelli. However we feel Andy Carroll, Danny Welbeck, or even Abel Hernandez could be decent options as cover or a late game substitution.

What do you think? If you had to choose, who would you go for from the following six?

Which Former Premier League Striker Would You Prefer As A Free Agent?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• optimistic prime

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:37 AM

I’ll add, none of the guys want to boycott but feel they have no choice.

The boycott is more to draw attention, we all know to hurt his pocket SD is the thing to target.

We heard of a couple of lads who opened a site called sports redirect and it caused all sorts of problems for SD.

Theres many ways to make things difficult for Ashley and SD, dont be defeated before we get started properly

• Tony Baloney

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:52 AM

OP: it has been said 1 million times on here that everybody is entitled to their own opinion – well, at least until it is shouted down by the usual suspects or Toon22 calls you a shill or Dubai Micky asks for Molotov cocktails.

I am 100% against a self defeating boycott and I am not an Ashley shill.

If you lot organize a march to Charnley’s house I hope you all get arrested.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:56 AM

Ed and Neil: as a NUFC fan of more than 40 years I think I have a right to an opinion and that maybe Dubai Micky should be banned from here for encouraging firebombings.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:58 AM

And Dubai Micky gave out Charnley’s private home address on this blog. Not right. Just not right. Since there are people on here who want to go there and protest and bring his family into it.

Just not right.

• lesh

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:01 AM

Baloney

Jeezaz, you’re still bleating on, professing your innocence?

And ‘Lesh was aggressive and condescending to me from the first thing I said on here’ was he?

May I remind you that you have, on a number of occasions agreed with Lesh that your posting style had been both aggressive and provocative and that having taken that point, you’d temper your comments. Can you truly say you have done that?

Give it a rest, have a break, grow up.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:02 AM

#notanAshleyShill

just someone against stupidity and violence.

• Tony Baloney

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:03 AM

lesh: you are a bully.

• Tramp

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:03 AM

Morning Baloney,

Sorry if you have already stated, which one would you pick out of the 6 free agents and why?

I’m struggling to pick one but whoever it would be it would have to be an incentivised pay as you play dea.

What do you think?

• Tony Baloney

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:07 AM

Lesh: whenever someone talks about themselves in the 3rd person as you did above @325. that says a lot.

• c-dog

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:11 AM

Tony Baloney

You don’t need to bang on about Dubai Mickey
    This is the third take over in a row he’s told the blog his own fabricated narrative. From Mohammed bin Salmon to Sheihk Khaled he’s claimed to know them all and their 27 wives. You don’t need to attack him as everyone is fully aware he likes to make things up to appeal to one or two poster like robleenio who do support the club but aren’t really football people. Decent fans just dont have the mind for the inner workings of the game and instead go around watching planes and rattling on about takeovers because they couldn’t keep up with a six year old when it comes to discussing the actual football.

Try some sleep, good for the mind

• hibbit

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:12 AM

# divide and conquer disrupt and destroy

• Tony Baloney

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:15 AM

Tramp: I would add a 7th free agent. Chris Waddle. He only does a bit of part time work now and could block out the sky in front of the opposition goalie. Was never that fast, but had a great shot. Still better than Donkeylu.

Worth at least 20k a week and would play more than Andy Carroll, and Dannys Welbeck and Sturridge put together.

• Reilly

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:16 AM

c-dog.Glass houses mate.Remember when we signed schar,you were saying it was a crap signing because he come from a relegated team.

• optimistic prime

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:21 AM

Hibbit

You should try and get to the next public meeting.

• one fine day

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:21 AM

Tony @331
    See what you can do when you try eh? Decent post and not getting on everyone’s tits . There’s hope yet .

• hibbit

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:23 AM

optimistic prime
    my brother was there, not spoken to him yet but will catch up with him later

• c-dog

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:25 AM

Reilly

I back no bargain basement ashley strategy induced signings as you well know
    Ki Schar Joselu Saivet Lazar Fernández Atsu Doumbia Rondon Chucky Kuqi
    I’ve no idea what joe linton is like
    I am however happy we seem to be paying the going rate for a player for the very first time in almost 3.5 years

• Tony Baloney

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:26 AM

OFD (.)(.)

• Tony Baloney

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:29 AM

(.Y.)

is that it?

• Bambams

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:57 AM

Tony

I have sat back and read all the threads Ed and Neil have written, constantly you bring my name up.

I just want to explain it in simple terms – so you can understand.

I am not ‘ In the know ‘ !!! So far?

I share on here what I am told but do not name the source because of their sensitive position in relation to their employment !

What I can guarantee, without question ‘ Nothing I have shared on here has been fabricated ‘ I also try to corroborate the info from another source.

My job and my charity work allows me access to these people.

As for the berating of Dubai, he has broad enough shoulders and does not need me to defend him – but myself and a few others have been privvy to his info since Christmas, it has all gone as he said up to the final stages – yes no takeover has happened but nobody is saying anything at the minute.

I have been respectful in every post I complete on here, I would expect the same in return.

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:03 AM

If we all make a concerted effort to just ignore Baloney he will soon get bored.

• Moonraker15

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:09 AM

Re Rafa’s ppg
    Everyone with a bit of common sense knows why Rafa’s stats aren’t that good over 3 seasons!
    I’m not even going to write the reasons!

• c-dog

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:13 AM

Moonraker15

Allow me to summarize in one

Ashley’s bargain basement strategy on signings

• Mindshaft

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:14 AM

There has always been a bit if name calling on here but it seems baloney took it to new lengths – bizarre he doesn’t support the boycotts considering he doesn’t even attend games, anyway hopefully we’ll have less personal attacks filling the blog and more nufc based talk.. if you don’t like a post or comment, just skip it and move on with your life
    There’s only one common enemy …Ashley !

• BenbulbenMag

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:17 AM

Jail @ comment 341 : You’re absolutely correct. Just ignore the trolls.

They’re becoming quite agitated now though.

Hibbit has it spot on in relation to the “plan”. Thankfully the trolls are so transparent.

They are not capable of executing any plan.

A$$ Lie out!

• Mag :P

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:21 AM

That was a tough catch up.

Hopefully some more good news today.

• magscar

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:33 AM

OP

You asked earlier why some fans don’t want to protest and if you will allow me my twopennyworth there are probably many reasons.

Folk on here mistakenly think it is a microcosm of the world of the match going fan with most holding the same populist view on here with anger against Ashley consuming everything else . As Bobby often posts many aren’t of that mindset.

Activists by their nature are different from the masses but can’t understand why others don’t feel things as deeply and sharply as they themselves do.

There are age and background differences.

Many won’t use social media outside of perhaps Facebook WhatsApp etc with their families and friends if at all.

Many go in small groups or just couples who don’t meet up with others before or after match and barely know the prop!e alongside them or behind or in front. Some go alone.

Many don’t engage with fellow fans outside of going to a game and talking about it or players right then

Many don’t like what they view as the “politics” of the situation and rightly or wrongly don’t believe that their actions can affect Ashley as they doubt enough other fans would join them in boycotting so they would be missing a match for no good reason.

Some have never missed a match for years and are proud of and protective of that record beyond what they see as a protest which won’t miss them anyway.

To many it is an essential part of their lives and they arrange holidays weddings etc around the season.

Some spend inordinate amounts of money and time even getting to home matches nevermind away games.

For some it is the only camaraderie in their lives

I could go on an on with my steam of consciousness ramble but essentially you are talking about over 50000 individuals with one shared interest but varying degrees of passion.

As I regularly post they will have individual thresholds which when crossed cause them to give up and they may not even be able to articulate what it is but will realise it when it arrives.

The demographics of the crowd especially away from the Gallowgate are very different to the crowds of the 60’s,70’s,and 80’s

Essentially activists don’t see that all don’t automatically feel as strongly or react as they do and need to find a way of reaching more of the fan base without putting them off and it will take time and yes buying a £40M player or 2 will assuage some of the upset fans feel.

Winning the hearts and minds of the match goers wont be done by labelling them sbeep, calling them stupid, blaming them only for Ashley still being here. It will only create an us and then and deepen divide.

I had thought that Rafa going would be the catalyst for many fans turning and it has been given the ST drop but once some fans have done that they have disengaged from the battle.

The fact there are so many different groups within TMG tells you that that not even all activists used to see things exactly the same.

It is a necessary coalition and hopefully can maintain it but NUST do seem to have a difference in their outlook.

We aren’t used to winning things like Liverpool say so there isn’t the automatic reaction to owners when things don’t go as we!l as fans want. Many fans haven’t seen us win anything (1969 the last trophy)

We do have a history of protest as fans of my generation will know but it was organic and before during and after matches – spontaneous in nature amongst standing swaying crowds of generally working class youths and men in their 20’s and 30’s, physically connected as well as in mind

It may be an intractable problem even to the extent casually stopping fans going to Arsenal match (may be across picket lines ) to seek opinion will be cold shouldered.

How many of us automatically sidestep people on Northumberland Street with clipboards or proffering leaflets ( or take and chuck after the merest glance at next available bin)

After the Rafa leaving effect has come and gone the next watermark will be a run of defeats but unlike last season’s opening 10 games there will little or no understanding show.

Perhaps the pickings will be greater then but I suspect a poor turnout for the Arsenal boycott ( if you get my meaning) could have a detrimental effect on going forward

• DubaiMicky

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:44 AM

Well said magscar (I reckon you’ll have to repost)

• B&W blood

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:26 AM

Magscar Excellent post and exactly why there will be 40k at the game as every fan is completely different

• wartongeordie

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:59 AM

Tony

Tired of reading Pardew v Rafa stats now, it is fairly obvious to a blind man (no offence intended to blind folk) but in Pardews reign, the smaller clubs were undoubtedly weaker, not many were spending like in Rafa’s period, like Bournmouth etc etc. Points were easier to pick up before the smaller teams had the spending power, please be quiet now.

• Phil K

Jul 26, 2019 at 11:15 AM

They ALL wave the sick notes too often for my liking with Carrol the worst (apart from Sturridge – and remember how much he didm for WBA when they got him for the run-in when they went down with us – NO goals and games missed) the rest will be no use, and just here to pick up unearned bloated wage packets
    Welbeck will get you the odd goal. Carroll might in one of the 20% of the games he’d be available for

• Just a fan

Jul 27, 2019 at 9:49 PM

I can’t keep up but Toney your ok

1 7 8 9