web analytics

Steve Bruce Speaks Of Number Of Incomings As Well As Mike Ashley’s Visit

Steve Bruce has given a press conference with new signing Joelinton. Some of the comments are located on the club’s official Twitter page.

The Chronicle also have produced some of Steve’s and Joelinton’s comments as they made them.

One comment that quite concerned us is that Steve Bruce said that they were working on making sure there will be one or two more in.

This is the quote from Steve Bruce when talking about incomings:

“We are doing our utmost to make sure there will be one or two more walking through the door to give us a hand.”

From our reckoning, we need at the minimum three to four more signings this summer as the club has lost three first-team players in Salomon Rondon, Ayoze Perez, and Mohamed Diame. It has also lost Joselu and Kenedy who served as cover for the majority of last season.

So far they have just brought in Joelinton but are getting close to signing Allan Saint-Maximin from Nice.

They are also very short of quality at both full-back positions which is in desperate need of strengthening.

This is concerning because the squad was already paper-thin last season. It looks like fringe players who were on loan last season may end up being relied upon this season more than we had hoped.

Bruce with new signing Joelinton– we need at least 4 more of these press conferences

Players like Henri Saivet, Jack Colback, Achraf Lazaar, Dwight Gayle, Jacob Murphy, and Rolando Aarons all went on loan last season but are back at Newcastle or soon will be in the case of Saivet.

Colback, Lazaar, and Aarons have so far featured heavily in pre-season. This does add a dilemma of squad size so maybe Bruce is referencing one or two more in on top of what is currently here. And that there are likely to be outgoings of some of the fringe players.

That is probably reading too much into it but we cannot only bring in one or two more players this summer.

It would be fine if players like Achraf Lazaar, Dwight Gayle, and Jack Colback are sold this summer and then replaced. However, we don’t want to end up losing any first-team players as the squad is already short on quality.

The club will find it very hard to offload some of these players but that should not limit the number of new faces brought in. They can always loan Lazaar and Aarons to Sheffield Wednesday after all.

We are a little concerned that all of a sudden the word from the club is one or two more on the same day that Mike Ashley has made his visit.

This is what Steve Bruce has said concerning the visit of the owner today:

“Mike came in to wish myself and the staff the best of luck. He met the new centre-forward.

“He took an interest in training and wished us all luck. I think it is always key to have a positive relationship.

“You need to get on with the people you work with. I am not interested in what went on before.

“So far he has been straight. I have asked a couple of questions and got straight answers.”

We hope one of those straight answers was not only one or two more in this summer.

• Lindisfarne

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:20 PM

This post has been moderated.
    Please see rules of engagement.

• Reilly

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:21 PM

Keith Downie
    @SkySports_Keith
    Steve Bruce has told SSN that Allan Saint-Maximin is on the club’s radar.
    Sources in France have told us that Newcastle have had two bids knocked back for the Nice winger.
    We’re told the 22-year-old is available at around £20m

• Mag :P

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:27 PM

Presuming we sign St maximin aswell what would you suggest is our strongest team?

Imo,

Shelvey
    Ki
    Atsu
    Muto

• TomaKaThor

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:31 PM

If we got st max and 2 good full/wing backs, we wouldnt look to bad and preferably an upgrade to Hayden, but that wont happen this window

• TheTinman

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:32 PM

I’d go 433 and play Shelvey Ki Longstaff in midfield.

We really need a RB and LB to replace Manquillo and Ritchie. Prefer Dummet even to Ritchie

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:37 PM

Oh dear he thinks Ashley’s being straight with him 🙁

• TheTinman

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:38 PM

It’s the first sign of madness ha

• Our Toon

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:39 PM

I’d play dummett ahead of Ritchie, dummett isnt as good going forward but with almiron on the same wing he may not be needed for the overlap.

I’d also go with the 433 that tinman has posted, think that suits us better if we get this new lad over the line lol

• TheTinman

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:43 PM

It’s a shame our resident blog French football expert niafron doesn’t post anymore. Would have enjoyed his scout reports on Joel and StMax.

He wa a god sent when we were signing 10 players from France a year

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:44 PM

OP,
    Yes mate, I am

• hibbit

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:45 PM

is Manquillo strong enough to cover Allan St-Max if not Hayden is going to pulled of out position continually either exposing the flak or the center if reports about St-Max are true ????

• hibbit

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:46 PM

*flank*

• TheTinman

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:46 PM

Hibbit, no

• Tsunki

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:51 PM

Perhaps Mike’s advisors convinced him Rafa’s defensive consolidation approach wouldn’t net the high yields some up and coming midfielders and especially forwards would?

• Tsunki

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:52 PM

I have just been appointed as a blog Moderator so watch what you’re saying you bunch of s………….

# this post is under moderation #

• Sad Frog II

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:53 PM

Stadium of Lies….relegation battle here we come “one or two more in” : ) Ashley go h, Bruce F O, Lee k yourselg

• Tsunki

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:55 PM

HIbbit we have to see how they work under Steve Bruce’s nuanced technical and tactical game pl…HAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA….

• Our Toon

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:57 PM

Hibbit

Manquillo isnt strong enough even if he was up against no one, he’s a shocking full back so hopefully will remain back up

• Mag :P

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:57 PM

The problem with 4 at the back is that Schar becomes suspect defensively. He’s a real asset in a 3/5 at the back.

It just depends what you sacrifice. I don’t see where Schar fits in without a 5 at the back.

• lesh

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:02 PM

As far as Ashlie’s concerned, if a player can walk he’s a player so we’ve got enough as far as he’s concerned. And where the other two newbies are concerned, that line’s getting closer and it’ll not be long before Brucie realises he’s been sold a pup and wished he’d stayed at SW.

I wonder if Mikey boy had any thoughts on the wheelie bins and the paddling pool. Ah, yes, fit for purpose.

• lesh

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:05 PM

The next Mike Williamson

I can’t see a lot of point in asking Ed and Neil to ban Baloney. He’d pop up with yet another name.

Ignore the tw@t and he might get bored and go away.

• lesh

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:08 PM

Boris Trump seems to have a bust of Pericles that he likes to have in his office.

Pericles was a clever man but for Johnson, I’d have thought Testicles would’ve been more appropriate!

• IrishRob

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:09 PM

I think something like a 4-3-1-2 might suit the players we have. Or maybe a 3-2-3-2 wing backs played slightly higher.

• Bills Son Is Back

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:09 PM

It’s amazing how that stupid, thick, bumbling, no plan, fckwit FCB Ashley is a billionaire…

And the smartarses who never stop tiring of telling us…

Aren’t.

• Mag :P

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:10 PM

Lesh

Why do you always bring your political narrative onto this blog?

• IrishRob

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:20 PM

I dunno about st Maximin hes well able to get by people but his final ball is absolutely terrible, he just seems to keep running forward for the sake of getting forward even if it means hes running into a less favourable position.

His final ball is very weak though, and to me that is an area we need to improve on vastly, so I’m not crazy optimistic about him.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:27 PM

Think 3/5 at the back suit us and our cbs tbh. My personal preference is longstaff to be first choice then Hayden, ki then shelvey as his partner in that order. If we have 3 in midfield then shelvey has got to be one of the 3 like.

Up front then it’s either almiron and new winger/ forward either side of joelinton or 2 up top with joelinton and almiron.

Have absolute no idea how Bruce (bloody hell man, Bruce) will approach the games in terms of style or gameplan. No need to mention tactics as our new manager apparently doesn’t do them.

• Markaccus

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:29 PM

In my opinion, If Ashley isn’t a blithering idiot when it comes to football, it means he is forcing NUFC to underperform on purpose. One 40m player isn’t enough to reverse the long term damage that has been done to the club, and left the squad consistently lacking in one area or another for 12 years.

• Markaccus

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:31 PM

It’s like the owner of factory that has a carbon footprint the size of the moon syaing “its OK, we are using paper cups and straws in the canteen”

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:31 PM

Ashley and Bill’s son in a tree
    K-I-S-S-I-N-G
    First there was love then there was marriage…..
    😀

• hibbit

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:32 PM

i would prefer Jarrod Bowen over St-Max

• #boycott Arsenal

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:35 PM

Markaccus,
    I think it definitely suits him to have us in a relegation battle as it dampens down the threat of protests as people seem wary of boycotts or action in the stadium in case it affects the team and sends us down. Rafa wanted us behind the team as he didn’t want another relegation on his hands.

• Belfast

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:37 PM

Definitely need more than one or two.

• Belfast

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:38 PM

Probably another four minimum.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:38 PM

I’ve only seen little bits of bowen so cant really say much on him or what he’s like as I don’t know. Certainly got his admirers and his stats in championship are great.

• ronaldo aarons

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:38 PM

Need lb/lwb addition. If four at the back we have dummett but Ritchie is not a full back. If wing back, I do like Ritchie there but dummett is not a wing back. Lol.

Right back we just need improving. Manquillo and yedlin are decent for back ups but we have both. I do like Lala in France who is due a decent move. That player linked, sidibe, he’s a beast and is good but gets injured often.

• jon

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:39 PM

I will never expect/hope for stuff to be ok at home again….. Spent a few hours with rozzers until 4am, am fcukd.

At least nufc have signed someone 🙂 hope he does fannytastic for us.

I will take my time over a pre sale celebratory pint.

🙂

• Markaccus

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:40 PM

Jail

Yes. Like I say, if it isn’t blind stupidity, it’s a deliberate policy of not winning and barely surviving.

• MAUTITOON

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:40 PM

Mad max? Next in line?

• Munster Mag

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:44 PM

Tsunki, more lies from you, but that all your capable of because you cant argue with my logic. You never could. You just shouted and ganged up with jail, and failed to influence me.
    I always stood for a fair and balanced assessment of any manager . That included Rafa, but you were too busy fawning over him. I criticised, correctly, some aspects of his tenure, mainly the early days, and you quite simply could not accept it, hilariously, as though he was some latter day lovechild of Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson. You even said I wanted Martin O Neill. After what he did at Ireland ? Ya right. Liar. Jail, you claimed ( I think) that I felt Mitro would be the downfall of rafa. Manure. Again . Now, you claim that I’m all loved up on the club and Bruce and Ashley etc. Wrong – AGAIN! You are a lying weasel. I’m not happy, and want Ashley out. So does Billson, from what I can see. But we have nearly doubled our transfer record spend and I’m happy to accept that as a good thing, because there are hardly 10 on the blog who though it would happen. So many guys said it wouldnt happen – they were wrong , nut cant admit it mostly. I ain’t jumping for joy about Bruce, but I am more than willing to get behind him and want the club to succeed. You pray for relegation all you want Tarquin and then watch us stagnate like Forest if we dont get sold. Yes, we know Fats could sell Longstaff, tomorrow. Its always the fear. But right now, Ashley is spending money so fingers crossed. My guess is that he knows he cant get a good price unless we are stable, but of course he has the Perez money. But Perez wanted out. Rafa should have been kept, but he organised a great move to the Herbal Remedy . He took the Yen. No AC Milan . No Galatasaray. No Leicester City. No Spurs, as Jail laughably suggested. We have a new guy now – can we not give him a chance? And by the way, the fact I am supporting from Ireland has nothing to do with it. I am a far greater fan of this club that you will ever be. I supported us as a child when it was unheard of . I have travelled all over England with mags fans. Thankfully none of them were as dreary as you. And please, no failed Lecturer sociology diatribe please, its been a long day. By the way, I hope the boycott of Arsenal is a huge success. But the efforts that I have seen on Sky wouldnt suggest a huge drop in attendance. We can but hope.