web analytics

Bruce Confident Player Will Stay At Newcastle

Manchester United still seem determined to bring in Sean Longstaff this summer. This is one situation where we have been on a bit of rollercoaster over.

When Sean gave an interview in June on NUFC TV, he spoke about how it was his dream to play a full season his hometown club Newcastle United.

At that time, we were very confident he would be staying despite the constant links with the Red Devils.

However, that changed a bit when Rafa Benitez left the club at the end of last month. We grew increasingly concerned that Sean Longstaff, as well as other top players, were devastated that the club had allowed Benitez to walk.

Sean Longstaff– committed to Newcastle

We then heard the news that Newcastle had put a £50m price tag on the local lad. The rumblings we heard in the press was that Manchester United were shocked at the amount they would have to pay for one of their top targets.

This seemed to cause things to settle and we had the delight of seeing Sean appear with his younger brother Matty in the preseason match against West Ham.

Reports earlier in the week spoke of a renewed push by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to get Sean but we have yet to see a bid be made.

New head coach Steve Bruce spoke yesterday about the chances that Sean Longstaff could leave this summer. This is what he said.

“That won’t happen. I’m very confident. We don’t want to sell our best young players, that’s for sure.”

It sounds eerily reminiscent of Alan Pardew in December of 2010 when speaking of another local lad doing well in the Premier League in Andy Carroll.

Until we hear of a concrete bid made for Longstaff, we should be able to relax for now.

However if Manchester United truly want Sean Longstaff, it could be an uncomfortable end to this transfer window as they will likely make a push before it closes.

• magscar

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:46 AM

I don’t dare repost my epic again 😉

• Mag :P

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:51 AM

magscar

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:43 AM

repost sorry but it took time to type even without checking it and I just knew a bus would come along as I was doing it. It’s a genuine one take if overlong attempt to try to rationalise the mindset of a crowd

OP

You asked earlier why some fans don’t want to protest and if you will allow me my twopennyworth there are probably many reasons.

Folk on here mistakenly think it is a microcosm of the world of the match going fan with most holding the same populist view on here with anger against Ashley consuming everything else . As Bobby often posts many aren’t of that mindset.

Activists by their nature are different from the masses but can’t understand why others don’t feel things as deeply and sharply as they themselves do.

There are age and background differences.

Many won’t use social media outside of perhaps Facebook WhatsApp etc with their families and friends if at all.

Many go in small groups or just couples who don’t meet up with others before or after match and barely know the prop!e alongside them or behind or in front. Some go alone.

Many don’t engage with fellow fans outside of going to a game and talking about it or players right then

Many don’t like what they view as the “politics” of the situation and rightly or wrongly don’t believe that their actions can affect Ashley as they doubt enough other fans would join them in boycotting so they would be missing a match for no good reason.

Some have never missed a match for years and are proud of and protective of that record beyond what they see as a protest which won’t miss them anyway.

To many it is an essential part of their lives and they arrange holidays weddings etc around the season.

Some spend inordinate amounts of money and time even getting to home matches nevermind away games.

For some it is the only camaraderie in their lives

I could go on an on with my steam of consciousness ramble but essentially you are talking about over 50000 individuals with one shared interest but varying degrees of passion.

As I regularly post they will have individual thresholds which when crossed cause them to give up and they may not even be able to articulate what it is but will realise it when it arrives.

The demographics of the crowd especially away from the Gallowgate are very different to the crowds of the 60’s,70’s,and 80’s

Essentially activists don’t see that all don’t automatically feel as strongly or react as they do and need to find a way of reaching more of the fan base without putting them off and it will take time and yes buying a £40M player or 2 will assuage some of the upset fans feel.

Winning the hearts and minds of the match goers wont be done by labelling them sbeep, calling them stupid, blaming them only for Ashley still being here. It will only create an us and then and deepen divide.

I had thought that Rafa going would be the catalyst for many fans turning and it has been given the ST drop but once some fans have done that they have disengaged from the battle.

The fact there are so many different groups within TMG tells you that that not even all activists used to see things exactly the same.

It is a necessary coalition and hopefully can maintain it but NUST do seem to have a difference in their outlook.

We aren’t used to winning things like Liverpool say so there isn’t the automatic reaction to owners when things don’t go as we!l as fans want. Many fans haven’t seen us win anything (1969 the last trophy)

We do have a history of protest as fans of my generation will know but it was organic and before during and after matches – spontaneous in nature amongst standing swaying crowds of generally working class youths and men in their 20’s and 30’s, physically connected as well as in mind

It may be an intractable problem even to the extent casually stopping fans going to Arsenal match (may be across picket lines ) to seek opinion will be cold shouldered.

How many of us automatically sidestep people on Northumberland Street with clipboards or proffering leaflets ( or take and chuck after the merest glance at next available bin)

After the Rafa leaving effect has come and gone the next watermark will be a run of defeats but unlike last season’s opening 10 games there will little or no understanding show.

Perhaps the pickings will be greater then but I suspect a poor turnout for the Arsenal boycott ( if you get my meaning) could have a detrimental effect on going forward

🙂

• BenbulbenMag

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:52 AM

Magscar, to my recollection it has been 3.

Does that qualify as umpteenth ?

Does the message that a Mike Ashley owned Newcastle United has in the past, is currently and will into the future continue lying and lying and lying to us the fans not seem worth noting to you ?

• bill

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:53 AM

Magscar,
    Understand your comments but without action it means that you are condoning if not happy with the status quo. Action is the only way forward if you want the current regime removed. Doing nothing is not an option. If the human race did nothing we would still be living in caves.

• magscar

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:54 AM

Micky

Thanks I appreciate you giving the time to read what I can see will be off putting to many – especially with my nametag preceding it 😉

• magscar

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:56 AM

Benbulben

I’m not sure what constitutes umpteenth ( it’s an expression) and I haven’t actually counted but will bow to your figure of 3 .

• bill

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:59 AM

Magscar,

In any case change is good for your wellbeing. Doing the same thing week after week is not stimulating, just boring.

• posada

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:03 AM

Aye we certainly have a lot of protest groups, all with a slightly different agenda.
    Reminds me of that scene from Monty Python and Life of Brian.
    Where the popular peoples front of Judea.
    No we’re not we’re the peoples popular group of Judea.
    Or something like that.

The Ashley Out Group should unite with the Supporters Against Ashley Group.

• BenbulbenMag

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:03 AM

Magscar I appreciate the time that went into your post and you make good points about the disparity in age, interests etc. of many of the Match going faithful. The one common thread that runs through all of their lives is their love and support for Newcastle Utd.

I would never disparage someone who wants to plough their own furrow. However I think it would be remiss of me not to attempt to reason with them and advise them them that they are ploughing a neighbours field.

A neighbour who has repeatedly lied to them and swindled them. A neighbour who will continue to look to profit from the sweat of their brow.

That’s not the type of neighbour that can become a good friend ! ;(

• The mighty wyn

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:03 AM

That was a good read magscar. Gave up my ticket last year but I can understand why some don’t. Personally I don’t think a boycott will work as Ashlie is so thick skinned and we get little or no support from the media. However you are right some people like the action of protesting , some don’t. I don’t think he will leave until he wants to but hope it’s much sooner !

• Muz

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:04 AM

Morning all, something to chew on. In the Shields Gazette they ran an article/interview with Steve Bruce. ‘Bruce also revealed whether a potential takeover of the club was discussed: “No. Just get on with it. We did not talk about it”.’

Did we just get the first non no comment, comment on a takeover? There’s a legal precedence where if you deny a thing you give credence to a thing. It’s why people say no comment or remain silent.

Might explain why there’s a desire to be throwing money around like we’ve not seen in a long time at the club. Can’t believe the cnut is spending his own money.

• magscar

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:07 AM

Bill

Not sure if you actually mean “me” when you say “you” or if you mean “one” is condoning …o

No matter it was an attempt to get beneath fans reasons why they do not protest as requested by OP.

Whether or not I personally agree with what I perceive may be the various reasons of a myriad group of individuals is immaterial I am not seeking to judge at this point only suggesting what they could be.

I make them from my observation of being a match going fan in different parts of the ground, in pubs with different friends and family of all ages over many years since my youth in 60’s.

I haven’t interviewed folk but merely make a genuine attempt to speculate on the vexed question as to why we haven’t all dug out our pitchforks and burnt down the castle long ago.

It is what it is – my opinion – there to be taken or ignored 🙂

• BenbulbenMag

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:09 AM

Muz, it’s the hope that kills you 🙂

At this stage I think it’s quite possible that Ashley went for a partial sale. I hope not though. We need a clean break from him.

• magscar

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:16 AM

Benbulben

I have no issue with you seeking to persuade fellow fans from going or joining protests or indeed TMG’s good efforts.

My post I suppose sought to outline why well intended efforts don’t always have the expected effect – “…….and some fell on stony ground”

Getting to the unreceptiveness of many fans is key to the earlier and greater success of the campaign. Recognising that and actually achieving it are I fear two different things though.

I am sure that name calling doesn’t help though but how we unite is truly difficult

I

• RobLeenio

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:19 AM

magscar, I for one have always appreciated your posts which I find to be articulate and knowledgeable and we’ve had some good chats. I appreciate the way you’ve written this morning’s post – it’s honest and non-judgemental and certainly confirms some of what I believe. Nicely done.

I also support BenbulbenMag and his post – again articulate, non-judgemental, laying down some facts and leaving us to judge them for what they are, not demanding everyone does what he wants us to, just putting out some honesty. If you read his opening statement, I doubt it’s aimed at you.

Good blogging from both on a very sensitive and divisive issue.

Well played Mag: P for reposting magscar’s post when he himself wouldn’t – it’s a good one and should be there to read for anyone who missed it.

• magscar

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:20 AM

Anyway another totally unintended (wasted?) hour or 2 on here – I never learn!

I’m off to real life – like getting some shopping to sustain us for another week – now that I can do and in less than a couple hours 🙂

• It's on

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:20 AM

Hayden staying would be the first “Brucie Bonus”

• RobLeenio

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:22 AM

Muz, lest we forget, Ashley has hardly thrown around his own money – we’ve spent the Perez transfer fee plus about £6M so far, not including Joelinton’s 6 years’ worth of wages of course, which may or may not account for another £15M of our budget.

Said for the sake of clarity, not in an attempt to be confrontational. I’ve been following you on twitter and I know your position and passion.

• Rob1971

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:23 AM

Muz that’s not the way the likes of Craig Hope etc are putting it across, they are saying this basically kills any speculation on the takeover & Ashley will still be here next season

• magscar

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:23 AM

Rob and MagP

Thanks to you for reading too only just caught posts as I submitted last one 🙂

Oh and same to others who may a!so spare their time whilst I am away tx

• RobLeenio

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:24 AM

On topic, very encouraging signs re both Hayden and Longstaff. I was sure that Hayden would be on his way, 90% sure that Longstaff would be staying. If we get to keep them both, that would be a massive boost for the club.

Future England CM pairing, potentially. Certainly have the potential to be one of the strongest and most dynamic CM pairings in the PL.

• one fine day

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:24 AM

Magscar / mag p
    Good posts .
    I have said from when the whole boycott arsenal first came up after Rafa left that we need to change tack on how we go about this .
    The boycott Spurs had mixed results and caused even more of a divide .
    To me the last thing I want on match day is a big gathering of boycott around the ground and seeing animosity between those going in and those who are out .
    Which is why I was proposing the live sites ( hard to organise but council on board and local media getting off there arse it can happen)
    We need to do this as a positive gathering
    Like a festival of football ,bars food family atmosphere big screens ..think World Cup semi final ( without the result obviously)
    So those staying out can get together as fans enjoy supporting the team donate to the groups fighting the cause etc .
    We need to show Ashley it’s our team and we will support it our way
    Not shoe horned into his “toonarmy”

• hibbit

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:24 AM

magscar

i’m not sure if i’m a good example or not but its taken me 12 years to walk away,
    within that time my biggest grip was folk telling me what to do with my money and my time both of which i value greatly , now i’m guilty of exactly that,

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:24 AM

One of our better players will be sold to balance the books this twat ashley hope season tickets will go up ok we get some good players in but the fact is hes not intrested in cup games getting in to Europe or get up the premiership table so whats the point keep the boycott up lads .

• It's on

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:25 AM

Looking at the squad as of this morning we still have 29 players when only 25 can be registered for the PL. Four will have to go on top of any more new players. (Excluding U21s & I am not sure if Woodman qualifies as U21 any more). So we can expect some outgoing people. Really pleased if this doesn’t include Hayden and Longstaff.

• The Sheik of Araby

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:26 AM

Each to their own Magscar. In your last line you say that the boycott will probably have a detrimental effect going forward.

Have you considered that sometimes to go forward you have to go back?

What was it that wise fellow once said? Oh yes that’s it, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”

Me thinks Mr.Ashley will be very happy to finish anywhere above 18th in the league every season, do you?

• It's on

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:26 AM

+ Thanks Neil & Ed, the blog has attracted a balance of views of late.

• one fine day

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:27 AM

Damn submit bar…
    Not his ” toonarmy” but our club Newcastle United .
    Make it a happy even that people will talk about and want to go too.
    Even those who were not going to the match are welcome to swell the crowd …imagine 10 k on the moor loud enough to be heard in the ground if we score .that is real support .
    Beats walking up to the ground knowing your not going in and feeling like your left out of the party .
    Just my thoughts

• RobLeenio

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:28 AM

Bruce has to know what the state of play of the sale process is – but of course will be under strict instructions to say nowt.

If he said straight up ‘no comment’, that would lead to all kinds of speculation. As it is, he handled it well saying ‘I know nothing, talk to me about football and the team.’

It sets the benchmark for future interviews – the journos know they’ll get nowt from him now.

Straight bat, just like the England cricket team should have done….

• The Sheik of Araby

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:30 AM

$40 million spent on a striker and it’s like Ashleys given some of you a knee trembler.

It’s the going rate for good striker these days! Sprung into action only when he senses danger ahead (boycott= less money in Mr.Blobbys pockets).

• one fine day

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:30 AM

It’s on
    Dosent woodman count as home grown or something ?
    If a player has come through the academy ?
    Sure someone here will know more on this

• magscar

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:34 AM

hibbit

I follow your posts and whilst may not always see your viewpoint I do indeed appreciate the massive decision you and your family jointly took and it’s aftermath!

At the end of the day each fan has that personal Rubicon to cross.

I am not sure whether or not being a regular Blogger helped you arrive at your decision a little easier or if you could have done so in a vacuum as it were?

Stay strong and try not to beat yourselves up although when that first Saturday (well Sunday) comes it will reignite all your feelings again

• Mindshaft

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:36 AM

Can people stop saying it’s 40 million – that number is the max we’ll pay – at the moment we’ve paid 35 million so basically spent the Joselu and Perez money – net even

• magscar

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:39 AM

The Sheik

I wasn’t saying it would be detrimental in itself but arguing that a low turnout would have a poor effect on future boycotts – essentially the bigger the initial one is the more likely it will grow or be sustained.

It’s the way of the world 🙁

• Genjikai

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:40 AM

Magscar
    The different protest groups are all working together. (I know confusing) but they are all working together which shows different groups uniting for one cause.
    TMG are a activist group. Same as ashleyout, emptyforashley. They both have been promoting boycott arsenal and also have got bars and clubs around the city to put special offers on for drinks. (Gives you a place to go).
    Wor flags have stopped doing there displays but have joined in with the Ashleyout cause. They will be protesting with us. Obvs the LMG is down london but we all talk and plan together. We do all meet up and plan. We also have various nufc fan youtube accounts that are onboard, off their own back.
    Magscar if you dont mind me asking where are you situated? If you want to find out more info about us get intouch.
    Each one of us in these meetings are fans that want change. We are growing as more fans realise this magpie group is them.
    Confirmation of locations for the match protest will come in next few days just getting venues confirmed.
    Come join in, celebrate watch the match with one of the various groups in one of the bars that have offers on, it will be a good atmosphere, then march up to sjp for a demonstration. Wor flags will be marching, ashleyout will be marching, maintian sjp, empty for ashley, im sure LMG will be here in great numbers.
    We have all sorts of people from all different professional backgrounds who have joined up since the open meeting on that monday.
    Normal people who work then give up there time to help the cause
    Anyone of you turn up to the next open meeting and see the passion for yourself. Then you can judge for yourself have serious of a group we are becoming.
    In the background the cohesion is there bud.
    Jfa, op great to see you last night you can see your love for your club. I hope to see more of you at the next one.
    You may think you are powerless but your not.
    Make sure you get yourself to the next meeting.

• Genjikai

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:41 AM

Hibbit i mention your family again aswell as op and jfa. Yous would be a great view to give in a short clip.
    Really think messages like your would hit home.

• posada

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:41 AM

In the East Stand you have quite a lot of older supporters.
    I can see them going in regardless as if nothing has happened.
    Not sure what the dynamics of that is.
    They have probably seen it all before several times.

Question though. What will it take.
    I’m not back on board just because of a new record signing.

He’s got 60M more to spend in the next 2 weeks.

• The Sheik of Araby

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:42 AM

Fair enough Magscar, hear what you’re saying.

• Mindshaft

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:43 AM

Anyone spoke to True Geordie – he has a lot of followers and it would be pretty bad publicity for Ashley if he gave some online support to the #boycottarsenal movement

• posada

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:47 AM

Only the owner can sort out a club.
    They are the only ones with the authority to do so.
    Choice of manager is down to him.
    I’ll accept that.

However, it has to be every last penny stays in the club.
    Otherwise we are not a club.
    Just subsidizing his other business interests.

Recruitment. I hope to God we get that right.
    With the right people and right strategy NUFC could be worth a billion pounds.

When will he realise that this club is a far better business than any of those failing shops that loose money.