web analytics

Steve Bruce Shows Good Man Management Skills In Talks With Some Players

Newcastle United have a squad this is seemingly thin on quality in certain areas but is definitely not a small squad. If they bring in a couple more new faces and keep all of their first-teamers, they are still going to have to offload some players.

Players like Rolando Aarons, Jack Colback, Dwight Gayle, Achraf Lazaar, Jacob Murphy, and Henri Saivet all went out on loan last season but are back at Newcastle.

It seems that Steve Bruce has had a conversation with the returning players who did not feature for Newcastle last season.

Steve Bruce– knows how to handle players

This is what Steve Bruce has said about those players who were on the fringes under Rafa Benitez.

“The first thing I said to them is that I’m not interested in what’s gone on in the past. The slate’s wiped clean with all of them.

“The time is now to stake your claim. There’s one or two or three who have got the benefit of a new manager coming in.

“It’s up to them now. As far as I’m concerned, the slate’s wiped clean.”

This is the correct way to handle this situation by Steve. As long as it does not get in the way of adequately improving the squad for the coming season, we see no harm in wiping the slate clean and giving returning players an opportunity to fight for their place.

It is up to them to prove their worth and show what they can add to the team for the upcoming season. However, this must not prevent the introduction of new players into the side that does lack quality in certain areas of the pitch.

• IrishRob

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:58 AM

• IrishRob

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:59 AM

Lochinvar, you have to be good to get first!!

• optimistic prime

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:00 PM

Is it true Spurs have just signed a 8yr shirt sponsor deal for £320m?

Shows the huge gap between the clubs which didn’t exist before Ashley tipped up

• toon22

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:05 PM

I’m sure Jabbas done everything he can to make sure he takes every penny possible from us

• beermonkey

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:07 PM

Prime

Saw that on Ssn earlier 40 mill a season for shirt sponsor I am still surprised Ashley has never put sports direct on ours

• IrishRob

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:07 PM

Is there a bigger waster in out team than Lazaar, all he cares about are his designer clothes and looking good. I like designer clothes myself but it’s a bit of a píss take when working hard for the club that pays you well is secondary or tertiary to fashion or how you look.

The guy just doesn’t try hard enough which really irks me because by all accounts he had talent to develop and improve at one stage. I’d love to see the back of him and Saviet and Colback.

• optimistic prime

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:09 PM

I’m changing my Avatar and I wont change it again until Ashley leaves.

• optimistic prime

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:09 PM

Beer

Dont even think that.

• posada

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:13 PM

Newcastle have a great opportunity.
    5 or 6 places open to be filled in the squad.
    Normally getting folks out is a problem.
    Look at Man U. Always easier to scale up than down.

Also our wage bill. One of the lowest.
    Many of our players could be moved on at a profit, creating space for better players.

Recruitment and having the right people is key.
    After Wise, JFK etc I’m not hopeful, but perhaps the owner finally gets it.

Every last penny would do for me. With that I wouldn’t be bothered about a Sheikh this and that or whatever.

• toon22

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:13 PM

Are we still for sale ?

• IrishRob

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:13 PM

Optimistic…. shirt sponsor deals are worth very little, I only recently looked at all the clubs shirt sponsor incomes. If I remember correctly it’s usually worth on average between 2-6M a year, but there is a huge gap in the top 5-6 who all get 30-50M A YEAR for their deals. How is it possible we only get 6M a year.

• optimistic prime

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:14 PM

If Ashley has us on the same merchandise deal as Rangers Nufc will get £4.55 from every £65 replica shirt sold.

I’d rather walk around naked and throw the money away.

• toon22

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:16 PM

The net spend on players over the years is easily covered by our feeble shirt sponsor

• Our Toon

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:16 PM

Rob

Spot on Lazaar doesn’t seem to bothered about playing football, more importantly he doesn’t seem bothered about working for a living. Complete waste, just release him and pay up half the amount it would cost to keep him as no one wants him anyway

• magscar

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:17 PM

sorry for repost yet again – obviously a message to give up for now and leave the floors to others 🙂

magscar

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:08 PM

OP

Thanks was a spur of the moment post and not meant as a complete assessment and others I am sure can add much more. It does perhaps identify the size of the task ahead.

Martoon later on made a very valid point for instance on the entertainment factor.

I can’t help but repeat what I have said on other days and that the key is communicating messages to the disparate groups and individuals who don’t go on Social media, have little contact with other fans other than at match in seats or concourse and not always then.

I don’t have an easy answer to this especially in close season but perhaps opportunities will become obvious to get message across at Arsenal game as matchgoers gather but as hibbit said happened in his case preaching can have an adverse effect on many . Tricky.

How receptive people are varies and some will feel intimidated. Protesters need to stay on message with whatever TMG come up with.

Oddly in typing this a type of example of difficulty in engaging sufficiency my with a stranger just arose – door bell went young lad there standing respectively a few feet from door brandishing a badge with large hold all on his back. He only got out ” morning sorry to bother you…. ” before I said sorry but I’m not interested as pleasantly as I could. He responded but don’t you even want to know what I am here for and I said I was really sorry but I didn’t and didn’t want to waste both our times.

He looked irritated but took it well and wished me a good day. Fortunately windows are open so the rock sailed through without breaking any glass – only joking of course
    ?

I think from previous callers I have actually spoken with that he is possibly a former young offender and as part of his rehabilitation has to go around meeting people and selling items. Not sure if they are genuine but seemed so.

My policy is not to engage with any doorstep callers whether Double glazing
    or Sally Army and I try to be pleasant but firm and send them on there on their way as quickly as I can.

I similarly now avoid anyone on street who trys to engage me for surveys etc. Might seem harsh but I have wasted a !ot of time over the years being respectful to people who I have had no interest in hearing what it is they are selling and shaking them off when I don’t want whatever it is they are pressing on me. Suspect I am not alone in this and it may prove difficult getting fans to stop never mind chat
    ?

• toon22

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:17 PM

Jabba wont ever walk away from us
    Take Rangers as an example

• toon22

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:19 PM

Our only hope is parliament or the HMRC

• Mike Ashleys Lovechild

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:19 PM

@Irish Rob yeah i see your point with Lazaar ,maybe Colback too but Saviet ??? did you see him at the cup of nations ?? he was a completely different player give him a chance i say poss with Colback too but totally agree with you regarding Lazaar !

• toon22

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:20 PM

Where do suppose all of the TV money over the years has gone ?

• IrishRob

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:21 PM

Once again I’m not reading all that, condense that Shít bro.

• IrishRob

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:24 PM

Malc…. no tbf I haven’t seen him play in years, but I’m of the opinion if hes not playing there are usually reasons for it. I’d be happy to keep Saviet if it turns out hes worth keeping

• Mike Ashleys Lovechild

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:25 PM

Rob he got MOTM at least once plus the few games i watched he looked like a leader, taking the corners,free kicks etc generally leading the line, like i said give him a chance !!

• Our Toon

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:26 PM

Saivet might he worth keeping around for cover and probably colback aswell tbf, colback can also cover LB if Ritchie or dummett get injured, he’s alot better the mannequin aka manquillo

• IrishRob

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:27 PM

Our toon…. it rubs me the wrong way seeing him turn up for training with not a hair out of place wearing expensive clothes he didn’t even have to work for. But the worst bit is he seems perfectly happy to do nowt and get paid well for it.

Incidentally I was under the opinion that if you released a player from their contract that you have to pay the full amount for the full term of the original contract, am I wrong??

• Our Toon

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:30 PM

Irish rob

You can terminate and come to an agreement with the player, pay half upfront. More often than not players take it as they get a deal elsewhere and are quid in

• IrishRob

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:33 PM

I dont think our current Fullbacks like Richie, Dummet or Manquillo are good enough to be in the starting squad so I really dont think keeping the likes of colback is a step forward tbh. But we wont argue about it mate, its pointless worrying about it until or if we get better fullbacks in. I’d love if they got in a proper lwb and a rightie too but I cant see them buying backs gir some reason.

• IrishRob

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:39 PM

Our toon but no one wants Lazaar or more to the point no one wants to pay the crazy wages hes on here at nufc. That’s the problem, that we cant seem to shift him, hes not going to take a deal if it means cutting his salary by 70-80% because that’s realistically what will happen if he goes to a club like Wednesday. I think that’s the main reason we cant seem to shift him, because hed rather do nowt and get paid more for it here than work and earn way way less at a club who want him like Wednesday.

• Mike Ashleys Lovechild

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:48 PM

If and its a big IF we can get that Philip Max for the Left back slot he would make a huge difference !!

• Mike Ashleys Lovechild

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:58 PM

Also Richie was a makeshift fullback!

• It's on

Jul 25, 2019 at 1:08 PM

posada at 10. As it stands we have four more players in the club than allowed in the PL rules. There are no spare places on the roster indeed there is a need to move players out.

Apart from them only being able yo play for the development squad, they have to be paid. which takes away part of the tv money and shirt sponsorship.

Gambles on long term contracts for expensive players in the past has caused problems which we can see by simply looking at the playing staff roster.

• IrishRob

Jul 25, 2019 at 1:11 PM

Richie was a makeshift left back because it’s his best position, I still dont rate him at all, if we are to move forward I really dont think players like Richie, Dummet or Manquilo or Yedlin should be starting matches.

Philipp Max would improve us vastly, I agree completely!!